• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan the Barbarian (2011) |OT| The days of high adventure return to the big screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I considered bumping the three-month old original Conan thread, but with my junior status I guess I'll just bump this one instead.

Conan fans in Austin might want to check out the original Conan screening at the Blue Starlite Drive-In: http://bluestarlitedrivein.vbotickets.com/events. Fancy food trucks outside, and you can bring some chairs and an ice-chest. I haven't been to this drive-in yet, but I've heard good things. Either the Conan screening will be my first visit, or A New Hope next month.

But more important than all that is this badass poster on sale at Austin Books, made just for this event:
6071712697_2e63a94a43_o.jpg

I've been told it's $35 for the red and $60 for the blue variant. More info here:
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40147&start=1305

'Conan' screenwriter Sean Hood answers the question, "What's it like to have your film flop?"

He's pretty open about it; Hood likens it to signing on to a political campaign, working hard for something or someone you believe in strongly, and then watching your candidate go down in flames on election night.
You make light of it, of course. You joke and shrug. But the blow to your ego and reputation can’t be brushed off. Reviewers, even when they were positive, mocked Conan The Barbarian for its lack of story, lack of characterization, and lack of wit. This doesn’t speak well of the screenwriting – and any filmmaker who tells you s/he “doesn’t read reviews” just doesn’t want to admit how much they sting.

Unfortunately, the work I do as a script doctor is hard to defend if the movie flops. I know that those who have read my Conan shooting script agree that much of the work I did on story and character never made it to screen. I myself know that given the difficulties of rewriting a script in the middle of production, I made vast improvements on the draft that came before me. But its still much like doing great work on a losing campaign. All anyone in the general public knows, all anyone in the industry remembers, is the flop. A loss is a loss.

Telosfortelos said:
I considered bumping the three-month old original Conan thread, but with my junior status I guess I'll just bump this one instead.

Conan fans in Austin might want to check out the original Conan screening at the Blue Starlite Drive-In:
I've been told it's $35 for the red and $60 for the blue variant. More info here:
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40147&start=1305

Unfortunately I don't have enough Conan friends to make that worthwhile. I've never actually seen the original all the way from start to finish. That poster is badass (red is better), but I don't really display posters in my place.

A friend dragged me to see this a few days ago; I had never watched or read Conan before but he was hella enthusiastic about the movie. There were some gory deaths and a couple of cool fight scenes, I left satisfied. My favorite part was
the 'hold the egg in your mouth without breaking it' scene and the fight during. Was pretty brutal and vicious.

PrCDv.jpg

Came out on Blu-Ray and DVD yesterday, just thought I'd bump and see if anyone took the plunge this time around; I picked up a copy earlier today at Target for $22.99. Kind of disappointed there are no deleted scenes among the barebone extras, but the picture is crisp and superb and, unlike with my theater experience, the audio isn't an unbalanced raucous mess.

Well, just watched it tonight and enjoyed it.

I was afraid Nispel was gonna fuck this up since he did such a magnificent job fucking up Pathfinder; but this was pretty solid with only a few moments of wildly incoherent direction during the fights.

Momoa is a great Conan and I hope we get a few more movies out of him.

Morgan Freeman narrating was mighty random.

Well, just watched it tonight and enjoyed it.

I was afraid Nispel was gonna fuck this up since he did such a magnificent job fucking up Pathfinder; but this was pretty solid with only a few moments of wildly incoherent direction during the fights.

Momoa is a great Conan and I hope we get a few more movies out of him.

Morgan Freeman narrating was mighty random.

Don't know which movie you were watching but Conan was the funniest movie I have seen in years.

It was terrible but I was laughing so much at it I didn't mind paying for the rental. Momoa could have worked as Conan but he didn't stand a chance with this turd.

Dysun

It had it's fair share of cheese, cliche-ridden plot, and unremarkable villains but it was still nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be. If only for Momoa's Conan which was quite frankly, pretty damn good and believable.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm a huuuuuge fan of the original Conan (favorite adventure movie of all time) and I was expecting to hate this movie with a passion. I dismissed it's very existence when it was announced and I saw the trailer. Fast forward to today and I caught it on netflix... and, guess what, I fucking enjoyed it! I actually thought it was pretty damn decent action flick.

Does it touch the original in any aspect? loooooooooooooooooooooool no. But it's a rock solid action movie on it's own as far as I'm concerned.

So, yeah, color me pleasantly surprised. I give the movie a solid 6.8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom