• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Art For Tons Of Unannounced (Maybe Canceled?) EA Games

I would've have been giddy to see what fruit that Oliver Twist would have bare. Hasn't it been stated that 20% or less these days of game concepts get green lighted?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gutter_trash said:
I just went for an interview and was really pumped to possibly get hired to work on it because they told me broad idea about the game with not too many specifics.

this is the first time that I ever see any art for it.

I was sad when my friends told me about the cancellation(s) that where going on because I was really looking forward going to work on something that was original
Thanks for the info. This inspired me to do a bit of digging.

Blue's News said:
Following the revelation of development of a project called Gunhead at Electronic Arts Vancouver, we received more information about the game from a developer who wishes to remain anonymous, who describes being pitched the project around six years ago. "On the off chance you were interested in more info on this EA project, the gist of it is that the main character is a guy whose head is a gun. That's it," he tells us. "EA has been trying to get this game made for ages now. ... It was a pretty lame idea, and we had no real interest in developing it for them. Every so often, I hear it pop up here and there, and it makes me laugh that they are still trying. I really must wonder who's baby the idea is for it to not have died a well deserved death yet..."
Source: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/104888

Blue's News said:
FZD School of Design website lists Gunhead as an in-development project at Electronic Arts Vancouver they are assisting with, but there's just a title, and no further details. Thanks superannuation, who also point out the client listing on the Feng Zhu Design Website shows Dark Space as another project for EA on which they are working, though it seems possible this actually refers to Dead Space.
Source: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/104834/ea_s-gunhead-and-dark-space

Apparently EA was pretty dedicated to it before they killed it. : /

Orobi

Nirolak said:
It seem that one of EA's former concept artists has posted up a ton of concept art from never officially announced games.

Gun Head:

iwrknp.jpg

This is Appleseed with a skin :lol

appleseed-1.jpg

Akainu

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
It looks like that post-apocalyptic adaptation that Gary Whitta was working on, if I recall rightly. I heard it was moving forward as a comic I think, maybe a game adaptation too?
No it doesn't.

"EA has been trying to get this game made for ages now. ... It was a pretty lame idea, and we had no real interest in developing it for them. Every so often, I hear it pop up here and there, and it makes me laugh that they are still trying. I really must wonder who's baby the idea is for it to not have died a well deserved death yet..."

what a twat.

deathsight580 said:
Cool stuff but remember concept art usually looks awesome but doesn't mean the game would be any good.

With a name like Gun Head, how could it not be any good?

Also Oliver Twist: The Game needs guns. Actually, scratch that, just combine Gun Head and Oliver Twist and I'll buy it.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Maxrpg said:
Oliver Twist looks like an Assassin's Creed clone. Just with the exploring city part.
Beyond Good & Evil strikes me more as a touchstone, but I imagine it only exists as not much more than a pitch presentation.

Peronthious said:
Oliver twist looks like it could have been pretty neat.

But mother fucking SYNDICATE

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Rumors say that is what Starbreeze is working on.

CamHostage

I AM JOHN! said:
And the concept art for the Oliver Twist game is gorgeous! Why didn't they make this instead of fucking Dante? :|

So, you would have rather had an Assassin's Creed clone rather than a God of War clone? :D

But yeah, that really did look special. It might have been a dodgy license to try and bring a videogame out for but I do think it could have found a nice audience.

Also, I'm glad when concept art and work-in-progress stuff gets out there. So much of this amazing work gets filed in the vaults, I just find that sad. Even if the game never happens, I'm very interested in the creation process that goes on behind the scenes.

Lijik

Goddamn I would love to play Oliver Twist and Gun Head. Especially Gun Head.

Too bad both of these games are probably cancelled.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I find Oliver Twist much more intriguing then DI. Depending on what genre its in and if the story was good I'd play that.

Sipowicz

Banned
i'm assuming they're all PS3/360/PC?

i think they look excellent. the oliver twist game looks decent and could stay that way as long as they didn't give it to visceral. they'd inevitably turn it into the retarded, juvenile shit they're known for

edit: holy fuck syndicate

this Blue's News anonymous guy sounds like a company shill trying to justify the cancellation and to put down the concept artists' ideas

a well respected concept artist according to my friends who worked with him.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I AM JOHN! said:
But they're doing the Bourne game. Do they have a big enough team to work on two projects?
Yes, two teams; Syndicate would be Redlime.

EmCeeGramr said:
Oliver Twist and Gun Head teamup, please.
Don't give them ideas. :lol

Some of the OliverTwist sketches and inscriptions indicate that Twist would have multiple player states. If the player does a lot of parkour, the model visually gets hungrier. So the gameplay would be Assassin'sCreed hi-jinks interspersed with food finding/begging mechanics. Bully meets AssassinsCreed with a hunger mechanic. Awesome.

cuyahoga

Booser said:
GUN TWIST

Seriously though if he already has a gun for a head why does he need another gun in his hand?
If he has a gun for a head, he probably doesn't have a brain, obviously.

Haunted

Who the fuck is responsible for not greenlighting Gun Head?? Fire the man! That's a fucking million seller right there.

Booser said:
GUN TWIST

Seriously though if he already has a gun for a head why does he need another gun in his hand?

Because there are times when even a man with a gun for a head has to battle with more than one opponent at the time?

sullytao

Oliver Twist game would be amazing. Open world gritty london that you can explore Assassins Creed style. Shame it probably wont see the light of day.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Haunted said:
Who the fuck is responsible for not greenlighting Gun Head?? Fire the man! That's a fucking million seller right there.
I want to see this game made so badly.

AstroMan

Banned
Those unsure games look pretty awesome. Hope those are still getting made. Hurikan also looks awesome.

Would love to see all of these, really.

bridegur

Some of that art actually looks interesting, but I'm sure anything unique would be washed away once used for a game.

Corto

Syndicate! SyndiCATE! SynDICATE! SYNDICATEEEEEEEEE!

...and Oliver Twist should be really good too if done by the right people. Can't imagine how it could be delivered, in what genre, the gameplay, but if done by a knowledgeable, skilful team it would be great!

- Headbutt someone as you are shooting them.
- Triple wielding.
- Sequel definitely would be called 'Son of GunHead'

I mean this is the kind of shit you can just immediately visualise when someone hands you a napkin with a man with a gun for a head drawn on it, let alone a god damn straight up Mike Mignola tribute comic cover concept. I mean I guess I admire EA for trying something different by going with Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and Dantes Inferno. But... GUNHEAD. Their stock should fall several points and an angry shareholder meeting be scheduled simply because they passed on this!

Top Bottom