• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
This was a beautiful concept I drooled over back in the day;

mercedes-f-300-life-jet.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-F300-Life-Jet.png

1997-mercedes-f-300-conce-1_600x0w.jpg

There have been better three-wheeler concepts since, but this was still pretty awesome.

Aaaah, the Mercedes F300 Lifejet.
I went berzerk back in the days, raced from dealership to dealership trying to put money down on this thing...

nib95

Banned
I hate Peugeot & Citroën (so basically all of PSA) for always coming up with these awesome concept cars that will never see production in any way or shape

The last Citroën one has already been posted above, and for last month's Paris Motorshow they even had this youtube commercial running for their latest beauty; the Peugeot Onyx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5SNyAMmTc

peugeot-onyx-concept-wbxrl.jpg

no Peugeot that will ever be for sale in the future is going to be even remotely as awesome looking as this concept

That is ludicrously gorgeous. Probably the best looking concept car in this thread. And it's from Peugeot....wat. Not keen on the gold though.

Peugeot-Onyx_Concept_2012_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Peugeot-Onyx_Concept_2012_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg

Peugeot-Onyx_Concept_2012_800x600_wallpaper_08.jpg

Peugeot-Onyx-concept-Paris-motor-show-steering-wheel.jpg&MaxW=630

peugeot-onyx-1.jpg

Wubby

Best concept car

Mazda-Furai-12.jpg

Working at Mazda R&D I got to watch this go through the design and build process. I was busy with other stuff so I didn't help much on it. The designer Franz had a 3D printed model of it on his desk. That was before he went off to Tesla of course. Count yourselves lucky if you got to see it in person. A really breathtaking car.

speedline

Banned
Working at Mazda R&D I got to watch this go through the design and build process. I was busy with other stuff so I didn't help much on it. The designer Franz had a 3D printed model of it on his desk. That was before he went off to Tesla of course. Count yourselves lucky if you got to see it in person. A really breathtaking car.

Will we ever see the Wankel rotary again?

Wubby

Will we ever see the Wankel rotary again?

I moved to Japan so I haven't been working at Mazda for a few years now. But the next version of the Wankel has already been designed (16X). But it (and the cars designed for it) were put on hold after the '08 meltdown.

The problem is the strong Yen which hurts Mazda more than Toyota/Honda. Toyota/Honda have factories in the US so a strong Yen doesn't hurt them as bad. Mazda doesn't have a factory in the US and just recently ended 6 production at Flat Rock. They are building a new factory in Mexico but it isn't up and running yet.

Will the rotary come back? Well it's always been a symbol of Mazda. The problem now really though is if Mazda can survive on its own. If things improve you could probably count on it.

Xun

Some lovely cars in here.

That Alfa on the first page, oh my.

Also what do you guys think of the McLaren P1? I'm still torn on the design personally:

OKQls.jpg

Dead Man

Some lovely cars in here.

That Alfa on the first page, oh my.

Also what do you guys think of the McLaren P1? I'm still torn on the design personally:

OKQls.jpg

I really like it, even though it is less than beautiful from some angles. At least it is more adventurous than most of the crap out there at the moment.

If we are posting favourite concepts as well, the Audi Avus is probably my all time favourite:

The GT 86 translated nicely from the various concept stages to production:
800px-Toyota_FT-86_005.JPG

851px-Toyota_FT-86_II_concept_IAA_2011.JPG

800px-Toyota_GT86_–_Frontansicht%2C_17._September_2012%2C_Düsseldorf.jpg

Have to disagree with you. I think the original concept is absolutely gorgeous, but got butchered going into production. Being a joint project certainly didn't help.

It's great that they succeeded hardware-wise, but a car that should have Audi-TT-like lines came out looking, IMO like a 90s japanese sports car.

Machine

Sloan Museum in Flint, Michigan has some awesome concept cars from the 50s and 60s. I used to love trips to the museum to look at them when I was younger.

Centurion.475x187.jpg

XP-300.475x187.jpg

Dude, thanks for this insight, cant believe someone on GAF almost got to work on this.

n0n44m

That is ludicrously gorgeous. Probably the best looking concept car in this thread. And it's from Peugeot....wat. Not keen on the gold though.

it's absolutely bonkers

but again, knowing Peugeot nothing will ever come out of it except for maybe the grill on their next sedan :(

their RCZ is much more boring than their RCZ concept, in fact their last nice sports/coupe model was the 406 Coupe (designed by Pininfarina !). Unfortunately I doubt we're ever going to see a 508 Coupe let alone something as exciting as the Onyx

Citroën did take a lot of the concept styling to their latest DS3/4/5 models, but those are still just upscaled hatchbacks/minivans

in that sense I like Porsche concept models more, as it's pretty much guaranteed that, with enough positive reception, they will make a production model out of them that actually resembles the concept for the most part

porsche-panamera-spor1hjzp.jpg

porsche-panamera-sporiekv0.jpg

porsche-panamera-spork9jiz.jpg

so sleek ... and I love wagons

I want this car so bad, I love Corvettes, I hope to buy an early 70s one and fix it up pretty soon.

I think the Mako Shark concepts from the '60s aged better than that has already.

My biggest complaint with concept cars is the futuristic stuff is too try-hard and ages so poorly in most cases (the doors especially!). The first two Holdens look fantastic though, aside from the stupid cockpit opening on the orange one.

I find the Peugeots and Renaults stunning, but it seems like a colossal waste since they don't produce cars like that.

I've seen a couple of FT86s around town and they look fantastic. I really don't like the nose in photos, but don't mind it in real life.

speedline

Banned
1990 Dodge Daytona R/T Concept

I think it looks sweet for a late 80's/ early 90's design. You can see some Dodge Stealth and Viper cues here and there. I would have liked to see it in red or GTS blue

Dodge-Daytona_RT_Concept_1990_photo_03.jpg

Dodge-Daytona_RT_Concept_1990_photo_01.jpg

Dodge-Daytona_RT_Concept_1990_photo_02.jpg

speedline

Banned
Anyone intersted in the development of the FD RX-7 should check out this book. It goes through the stages of developement with tons of concept images and the design philosphy Mazda went through to make what they considered the perfect sports car. It also touches on the first and second gen models as well. Awesome read.

yamaguchi_book.jpg

Anyone intersted in the development of the FD RX-7 should check out this book. It goes through the stages of developement with tons of concept images and the design philosphy Mazda went through to make what they considered the perfect sports car. It also touches on the first and second gen models as well. Awesome read.

yamaguchi_book.jpg

I found what I want for christmas.

Supposedly, Bill Mitchell, the styling head at GM, had a mako shark mounted on the wall in his office. He wanted the concept car to be painted to match the shark. The team couldn't quite match it, so they snuck into his office and painted the shark to match the car. As the story goes, Bill Mitchell didn't notice, and was impressed with how closely they had matched the shark.
Omfg that's hilarious

speedline

Banned
To be fair, it looks much better in person. Just horrible on paper.

I've seen the Subaru version around town, it looks nice. I almost mistook it as a 370Z at first. I wonder if the Toyota version will be hurt or helped by the Scion branding in the US? I personally can not see myself driving a Scion, would have perfered Toyota and that brand could use a sports car. I would choose the Subaru.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I've seen the Subaru version around town, it looks nice. I almost mistook it as a 370Z at first. I wonder if the Toyota version will be hurt or helped by the Scion branding in the US? I personally can not see myself driving a Scion, would have perfered Toyota and that brand could use a sports car. I would choose the Subaru.

From what I have seen, the majority of owners are replacing the badges with the Toyota ones lol.

EVIL

I hate Peugeot & Citroën (so basically all of PSA) for always coming up with these awesome concept cars that will never see production in any way or shape

The last Citroën one has already been posted above, and for last month's Paris Motorshow they even had this youtube commercial running for their latest beauty; the Peugeot Onyx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5SNyAMmTc

peugeot-onyx-concept-wbxrl.jpg

no Peugeot that will ever be for sale in the future is going to be even remotely as awesome looking as this concept

This one is a badboy! love the materials used! its also not gold, but copper as far as i can see.

some more pics

Dead Man

1990 Dodge Daytona R/T Concept

I think it looks sweet for a late 80's/ early 90's design. You can see some Dodge Stealth and Viper cues here and there. I would have liked to see it in red or GTS blue

Dodge-Daytona_RT_Concept_1990_photo_03.jpg

Dodge-Daytona_RT_Concept_1990_photo_01.jpg

Dodge-Daytona_RT_Concept_1990_photo_02.jpg

Bloody Dodge.

They give us the amazing 1999 Dodge Charger concept, then the build the truck faced blob of failure.

1999_Dodge_ChargerRTConcept1.jpg

To:
2011_Dodge_ChargerRT1.jpg

I love the retro future look.

3648524974_354de52c6f.jpg

bugatti_carbonfiber_Wilkonski.jpg

Do you konw the Maybach Exelero?

2005_Maybach_ExeleroConcept2.jpg

maybach-exelero-1.jpg

Maybach-Exelero-1.jpg

Have to disagree with you. I think the original concept is absolutely gorgeous, but got butchered going into production. Being a joint project certainly didn't help.

It's great that they succeeded hardware-wise, but a car that should have Audi-TT-like lines came out looking, IMO like a 90s japanese sports car.

hey now, you got something against 90's Japanese Sports cars??? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom