• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: 24 is back. 12 episodes. Summer 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Season grades for shits & giggles:

Season 1 - A+
Season 2 - A
Season 3 - B+
Season 4 - B+
Season 5 - A+
Season 6 - C-
Season 7 - B-
Season 8 - B

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Season 1 - A+
Season 2 - A
Season 3 - B+
Season 4 - B+
Season 5 - A+
Season 6 - C-
Season 7 - B-
Season 8 - B

Season 1 - A+
Season 2 - A
Season 3 - B
Season 4 - A
Season 5 - A+
Season 6.1-6.4 - A
Season 6.5-6.24 - C
Season 7 - B+
Season 8.1-8.20 - B+
Season 8.21-8.24 - A

Still could break it down more. 1st half of Season 2 is stellar. But it loses itself for a few hours in the middle of the night (except for stellar the
Jack dies from Torture, comes back, and kills folks while Naked
episode, but comes back with an outstanding final episode.

Fry

Season 1: A+
Season 2: B+
Season 3: A
Season 4: B+
Season 5: A++
Season Six: C+
Season Seven: B+
Season Eight: C

Here are my top 10 moments in 24 history. I'll put them in spoiler quotes even though everyone is openly talking about it anyway. I'd post links but Fox doesn't like leaving 24 clips up, unfortunately.

10. 2x09. "You will be pardoned in advance for the murder of Jack Bauer."
9. 7x13. Bill's sacrifice. :(
8. 4x01. WHAT IS HAPPENING AT EIGHT O'CLOCK? S-S-SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
7. 4x07. Tony's spectacular return. "Tony!" "Jack!"
6. 2x15. George Mason's speech, Jack's phone call with Kim and the nuke.
5. 5x12. Edgar's death. "Chloe.."
4. 8x24. Jack's final scene (or so we thought).
3. 6x24. Jack confronts Heller at his house. "YOU DO NOT TELL ME WHAT TO DO ANYMORE."
2. 4x20. Paul Raines' death. "You killed him, Jack!"
1. 1x24 - "Protecting me from what!"

Tons of honourable mentions as well.

Cerberus

Here are my top 10 moments in 24 history. I'll put them in spoiler quotes even though everyone is openly talking about it anyway. I'd post links but Fox doesn't like leaving 24 clips up, unfortunately.

10. 2x09. "You will be pardoned in advance for the murder of Jack Bauer."
9. 7x13. Bill's sacrifice. :(
8. 4x01. WHAT IS HAPPENING AT EIGHT O'CLOCK? S-S-SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
7. 4x07. Tony's spectacular return. "Tony!" "Jack!"
6. 2x15. George Mason's speech, Jack's phone call with Kim and the nuke.
5. 5x12. Edgar's death. "Chloe.."
4. 8x24. Jack's final scene (or so we thought).
3. 6x24. Jack confronts Heller at his house. "YOU DO NOT TELL ME WHAT TO DO ANYMORE."
2. 4x20. Paul Raines' death. "You killed him, Jack!"
1. 1x24 - "Protecting me from what!"

Tons of honourable mentions as well.

No silent clock scene from Season 3? It's my favorite moment of the series.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Is that the one where
Jack kill Ryan Chapelle?
Yeah, that scene was hard. I really felt bad for him even though he was mostly an asshole while he was alive.

Tedesco!

Jack_Bauer_Masked_by_shanethegooner.gif

From later on in the same episode: One of my favorite Bauer kills and it happened off screen...

6KSFrhe.png

I don't like that scene, actually. They spend an hour trying to humanize him after three years of being an utter bureaucratic dick. It felt a little cheap. It's a strong emotional scene but I had a much stronger response to similar scenes with actual sympathetic characters like Edgar.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i wanted to wait a decade before doing a rewatch (because I've seen each season at least 8 times a piece and wanted to be surprised a bit next time i watched it), but this announcement just means I'll need to do a rewatch this winter.

AniHawk

if there is one thing everyone can agree on, it's that season 6 was the worst.

i actually stopped watching 24 because of it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Despite the fact that I've been in here discussing it, I've actually not finished the show although I've been spoiled on most Season 8 events. I just watched Episode 12 of Season 8 the other day and I felt it was one of the best episodes in the entire series. Nothing particularly grandiose happened, I just felt the episode itself was really well done. It felt really tight and suspenseful. I dunno, it was strange. Anybody else? haha.

Cerberus

I don't like that scene, actually. They spend an hour trying to humanize him after three years of being an utter bureaucratic dick. It felt a little cheap. It's a strong emotional scene but I had a much stronger response to similar scenes with actual sympathetic characters like Edgar.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. For me, it was just the shock of it happening. I really thought everything was going to be okay. Nope.

You have a great list of moments though. I need to watch this series again.

Exodu5 :(

Despite the fact that I've been in here discussing it, I've actually not finished the show although I've been spoiled on most Season 8 events. I just watched Episode 12 of Season 8 the other day and I felt it was one of the best episodes in the entire series. Nothing particularly grandiose happened, I just felt the episode itself was really well done. It felt really tight and suspenseful. I dunno, it was strange. Anybody else? haha.

That's the episode where
the EMP goes off at CTU
right? I think that moment marks the shift in quality for Season 8. The first 12 episodes of S8 are pretty bad. The remaining 12 episodes are really great.

x-Lundz-x

Season 1 - A+
Season 2 - A
Season 3 - B+
Season 4 - B+
Season 5 - A+
Season 6 - C-
Season 7 - B-
Season 8 - B

Season 1 - A++
Season 2 - A+
Season 3 - A+
Season 4 - A+
Season 5 - A++
Season 6 - A+
Season 7 - A+
Season 8 - A+

Proper now. Best show in the history of Network TV! Wooooo hoooooo!!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

season 8 is generally very well done and I put it among 24's best

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That's the episode where
the EMP goes off at CTU
right? I think that moment marks the shift in quality for Season 8. The first 12 episodes of S8 are pretty bad. The remaining 12 episodes are really great.

Yeah it is.
Also the episode where President Hassan's security chief goes back and forth between loyal/traitor dead/alive.

Though it sounds contrived on paper I found those twists in particular really effective.

Season 8 gets better as you go. The last arc is in the top 3-4 arcs of the show's run.

But that shit at the beginning with Dana? Fuck.

bndadm

Season 8 gets better as you go. The last arc is in the top 3-4 arcs of the show's run.

You know I almost expected it after the first four episodes were rather low key. I thought to myself they were going to have a slow start and a strong finish, as opposed to season 7 which really did kind of peter out in the last four hours. Jack still had some great damn moments though even early on in season 8
Renee stabbing him then he takes the same knife to throw at an entering guard.

But Redneck boyfriend, no that whole thing is inexcusable.

Nameless

Still could break it down more. 1st half of Season 2 is stellar. But it loses itself for a few hours in the middle of the night (except for stellar the
Jack dies from Torture, comes back, and kills folks while Naked
episode, but comes back with an outstanding final episode.

Indeed. That's the best run of the series for my money. The second half was still awesome despite feeling so deliberately tacked on--like a DLC side mission to the near perfect 'Nuke Campaign'. It's also a prime example of how having such a strong cast of characters masked a lot of the show's flaws. I still loved it, but the series never really hit that same beat after the
bloody orgy that was Season 5.

The new season shouldn't even bother with a White House story line.

24 had a real problem with scaling up over the years. Season 2 took the series in an end-of-the-world direction that worked great, but was hard to sustain over many seasons. Season 3 threatened multiple cities, 4 was just insane and by season 6 we're killing thousands of civilians because there was nowhere else to go.

I admire season 8 because they scaled it back and just tried to write a good plot without all the flair of earlier seasons. It's not an end-of-the-world situation and I think it benefits from that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
if there is one thing everyone can agree on, it's that season 6 was the worst.

i actually stopped watching 24 because of it.

Is that the season where Jack has some kind of super flu through most of it and spends all his time moping around CTU? Whatever season that was was the worst.

Remmy2112

Is that the season where Jack has some kind of super flu through most of it and spends all his time moping around CTU? Whatever season that was was the worst.

Season 7 is the one you're thinking of. He was
exposed to nerve gas
a little after the halfway mark.
Its symptoms were dementia, seizures, paralysis, and ultimately death.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
What was the season that had the 2 hour starter ep that took place in Africa? I remember that being a particularly awesome piece of the 24 history, and it rarely gets discussed.

What was the season that had the 2 hour starter ep that took place in Africa? I remember that being a particularly awesome piece of the 24 history, and it rarely gets discussed.

Season 7

Having Robert Carlyle in the mix was cool but that was it for me.

This thread is bringing back all sorts of memories, I was WAAAAAAAAAAAY into 24 during high school. It's alongside LOST, TNG, and Buffy as far as my early TV education is concerned. There are so many moments of that show that resonate with me even to this day

Wiktor

Ok, since everybody seems to be doing lists :D

Season 1 - B
Season 2 - A
Season 3 - B
Season 4 - B+
Season 5 - A+
Season 6 - C
Season 7 - B
Season 8 - B

Sloane

Banned
Come on, people, season 4 was awful with that ridiculous power plant virus, Jack's annoying boss and Audrey, ugh.

Season 1 - A-
Season 2 - A+
Season 3 - B-
Season 4 - F
Season 5 - A
Season 6 - E
Season 7 - D
Season 8 - E

Sloane

Banned
24 had a real problem with scaling up over the years. Season 2 took the series in an end-of-the-world direction that worked great, but was hard to sustain over many seasons. Season 3 threatened multiple cities, 4 was just insane and by season 6 we're killing thousands of civilians because there was nowhere else to go.
Yeah. I think what would have helped the show in that regard would have been some kind of overarching storyline which they hinted at a couple of times (the cliffhanger at the end of season 2, for example) but never followed through with.

Rich!

Known about this for two days now, but I still can't believe it.

Grew up with 24 really - started watching from the very first episode back in 2001 on BBC2 and carried on right until the end. Bought all the seasons on DVD, watched them numerous times...Essentially, from the ages of 12 up until 22, 24 was my favourite show on TV. I've spent almost half my life watching it...holy fuck

either way, this is good. My hopes for the new series:

- Less of a reliance on political subplots and pointless characters. with the new 12 hour format, they need to focus purely on jack.

- make it goddamn personal. everyone knows that 24 is at its best when shit gets personal (ira gaines/drazens, ryan chappelle, nina, palmer's assassins/logan, tony, end of s8).

- Make sure Sean Callery is still doing the music. I'm sure he will be.

I can't think of anything else yet, but this has real potential

Gintamen

Yes, no, yes, I don't know. Feels great to have another action packed series, but is there a need? Will try to not get spoiled like always, so it's gonna be a 12 hour marathon next year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Basically, Season 8 kicks off as soon as
Dana__
exits stage JACK.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hard to, when that season "cashed in" on 4 seasons worth of character building, and had, IMO, the biggest "OOOh Shit" twists that didn't involve a character death. A twist that's so large, that I still can't think of there being anything to rival it in 24.

I didn't know what twist you were talking about since i'm in mid-season 5, but i think i just saw it.

There was a lot of "Fuck. The fuck? Fuuuuck."

I wish i had been there to see GAF's reaction back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom