• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Diablo 3 Has A Real Money Auction House, You Can Cash Out Of The System

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mulligan said:
Ah okay, thanks. Has it been said how many difficulty levels will be in D3? I heard there may be a level beyond hell mode known as 'inferno'.
I haven't heard anything about inferno, but I've seen an old screenshot of normal, nightmare, hell just like in D2.

edit:
Ultimately, it’s going to take the game's harder difficulty modes -- Hell and Inferno -- to challenge the limits of the best Diablo III players.
Well I'll be...!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I like how in this screenshot, this dude's only played for two hours and he's in Nightmare.

fl002.jpg

Zzoram

Mulligan said:
So having never played Diablo, is it possible to do your first run through on nightmare difficultly or do i need to run through normal first to get good enough gear and level my skills for nightmare?

Diablo difficulties are like NG+. You have to beat Normal with a character to be in Nightmare, and you have to beat Nightmare to be in Hell. You can always go back to easier difficulties with the same character though.

Nightmare is pretty difficult if you're not at least level 30+ with decent gear. Hell is really hard unless you're level 60+ with decent gear, and even then you can instantly die to tons of enemies.

TUSR

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Yep, definitely :)
I see three possibilities,

1. Playtime is associated with levels or Acts. Much like WoW's levels.

2. This guy loves to grind and is taking his sweet time, I remember D2 walkthrough was ~30 to finish Act 5 Normal.

3. CONFIRMED Barbs are overpowered

(Premade level 30ish wouldn't make sense because the Barb below him is in Act II of NM but is only 31.)

KScorp

KKRT00 said:
Which one and where? I've read 3 different ones earlier and havent seen anything about it. About crafting i heard last time on blizzcon 2009. I also dont think that crafting solely solve this problem, its like gambling, not that many from D2 population used it on higher lvls, it has to be mechanisms that everyone uses on regular basis, like teleports or repair etc.
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/26249-diablo-3-press-event-visit/

It was posted before in this thread, but even I had a bit of trouble finding it, so I apologize. It's under Jay Willson Interview #1, it's the largest answer. If I'm reading it correctly, to get the right items in order to make some enchantments, you'll have to be scrapping the higher level gear.
Q: As far as keeping the economy not stagnant and still exciting, one thing I notice about D2 is once I had my items, they never degraded, I was pretty much good to go; I never really needed to upgrade. I see that in a player-driven economy as kind of a big problem, because eventually prices will taper off and at some point, it’s not worth even putting my item on the AH because everyone has one. That leads to a lot of pressure, I think, on you guys having to create a lot of items and expansion sort of content so there’s new stuff. What is the plan for that?

A: So the plan at release really comes back to the crafting system again. A lot of the crafting system is focused on pulling items out of the economy, so certainly the most highly-valued items people aren’t going to salvage, but everything slightly below that they are, which is going to drive a lot of items out of the economy. The enhancing system is actually one of the…basically our enhancing system kind of works like enchanting from WoW, but it has a random value to what you’re getting. So you input the enchantment, and let’s say it’s somewhere between 80-100 attack that it’s gonna give you. So if you roll 83, you could roll that again and you have a chance of getting a better number. You won’t get a lower one, and it might say “aww, you didn’t get any better.” But you can try over and over again and you need to essentially recycle items to do that. Eventually you’ll get to perfect, but you’ll really have to pull out a lot of items. And at that level, you’re really talking about rares and legendaries that you’re actually going to have to be melting to be able to do this. So we do have some systems in. Even so, there is going to hit a saturation point and what will we do about that? We have a bunch of ideas on how to deal with that, most of them do revolve around extending the item database at some point. Whatever we do, we’ll try to make sure that the player base has a lot of forecasting, like they will know long before we do anything what we’re going to do so that they can prepare. We don’t want people to go on the AH and spend basically $100 and then us change the item database the next day. We want them to know, in 3 months we’re changing the database “OK, well that gives me time to plan and think about what I want to do.” So we may not…it’s still up in the air. But it’s one of those things where we really want to see what happens to the economy and to a certain degree, we don’t know because we’ve never done something like this before.

If anyone hasn't read that interview yet and really wants more information, I encourage you to do so. It has a bit of insight in why they made some of the decisions they made.

KKRT00

KScorp said:
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/26249-diablo-3-press-event-visit/

It was posted before in this thread, but even I had a bit of trouble finding it, so I apologize. It's under Jay Willson Interview #1, it's the largest answer. If I'm reading it correctly, to get the right items in order to make some enchantments, you'll have to be scrapping the higher level gear.

If anyone hasn't read that interview yet and really wants more information, I encourage you to do so. It has a bit of insight in why they made some of the decisions they made.
Awesome interview, thanks, the first one where question were actually deep and smart.

So there's no more item/gold sinks then they earlier announced, i dont think that crafting will take off gold/items, generated by millions of players and thousand of bots, quickly enough. Most people wont bother with making perfect stat items, when the difference will be less than 10% on one/two prefixes.

Ps. Dont get why they dont let the players to decide about party char limit. Its maybe too chaotic for You Blizzard, but for some players maybe not! Dont make restriction just for restriction, its a game and different people play it in different ways.
The same goes for PVP modes, let the player decide about timelimit/killcount/mode, its really easy to make a checkbox options. You dont want to balance it, fine, but dont limit community possibilities to set up rules/matches.

V_Arnold

A very good interview with Rob Pardo (courtesy of WallStreetJournal) said:
How much has running WoW and observing that economy informed how Blizzard has approached this auction house?

The design of the auction house had a lot of influence, as far as how we do the user interface, how people interact with it. As far as how it interacts with real-world money, probably not much at all. The World of Warcraft economy is really different than how I see the Diablo III economy playing out, mainly because of how you get the items, and restrictions we put on the items themselves. In World of Warcraft the item system is much more deterministic and it’s also a much more crafting-based economy. The people with the best items in the game are generally the achievers—they’re the ones that kill the toughest bosses in the game. All their items at the really high level can’t be traded. It really ensures that there’s an almost achiever item economy in WoW.

Diablo is not like that—all the items are randomized, so you don’t really know when and where the best items are going to drop. And also all the items are freely tradable at all times. So you end up with a much more merchant economy.

What do black market sales do to affect a game’s workings and its atmosphere, the shared values of its player base? What kinds of values or attitudes are you trying to circumvent?

There’s probably the WoW version of the answer and the Diablo version of the answer. In World of Warcraft there are a lot of negatives around black-market item sales and gold sales. The first one is how it affects people that are actually playing the game: If you see someone farming an area that actually prevents you from being able to go to that area. If you see that might be running bot programs, it really makes you feel worse about the game that people are cheating within it.

But in a Diablo context, even if some of that activity occurred, the game is completely instanced—you’re always playing in your own version of it, or you and your friends are. You’re not really subjected to people that are in your way that are just trying to do black-market activities. Players do want to have the ability to do some of this stuff; they’re going to go and do it. It’s a pretty terrible experience most of the time. It’s not secure; there are lots of chances for fraud; you may not get the item you want; if we catch you we ban you. We asked ourselves, if we allow it, is this really going to be harmful for the game? When we looked at it critically, we felt that in a Diablo context, it would be beneficial that people can do this freely. It’s something that players know is part of the rules of the game. As long as the players know the rules they’re signing on for, then they’re okay with it.

You’ve talked about the auction house being unprecedented in gaming in terms of the way it’s implemented here, but it does seem comparable to social games like FarmVille or Tiny Tower that basically allow you to spend money when you lose patience with the waiting game, or in this case the meta-game of grinding for random drops. It allows players to accelerate their own pace. How much have those games informed this new system?

There have been microtransactions going for a while in games. What no one’s done is the player-to-player aspect of it. We’re taking it a step back and saying it’s up to the player base to decide. It’s not up to us. It’s a player-driven economy; if people find value and want to do this activity, then there have to be sellers and buyers. You don’t really have that sense that, like in some of these games, players feel they have to buy some of the items, or they have to buy gold from the company to even be able to advance in the game. That’s not how we’re designing Diablo III at all. I think the important thing for us is to make sure the game plays really well if you never trade an item.

Do you expect the meta-game to evolve in unexpected ways?

I would say that’s quite likely. Considering that we don’t have anyone to look at that’s done it like this, it’s going to be hard to predict exactly what will happen.

The player base is very vocal about any change perceived to threaten the integrity of the game. In your experience do the majority of these concerns die away after the games are released? Or in other cases do you learn that they did have a point?

You ignore the opinions of the fan base at your own peril. I think what’s really important to us is that when there is an uproar or a concern that we listen to it and think seriously about it. The thing that often happens is that players have imperfect knowledge of the situation. They imagine the game’s going to be like this, and here’s everything that’s going to happen. So there’s usually a lot of fear without a lot of knowledge going on. If we’re wrong, then we’re pretty unafraid to change things.

The audience has certain expectations for the series that have calcified over time. But how have you defined what qualities are essential to Diablo and which ones aren’t?

In Diablo II [for example] you could fill your whole inventory up with health potions and at any moment you could use them, and almost stay invulnerable in a fight. It also had this downside where you’d always fill up your entire backpack with potions. It made it so most of the abilities in the game weren’t that meaningful. Certainly any healing abilities were worthless because you always had these cheap health potions. We made the decision in Diablo III to do a health globe system, which is very different than how potions worked.

What we did consider was important was always having a fast, action-paced gameplay so that you didn’t have to stop and go out of combat like you might in a World of Warcraft game. We wanted to make sure you’re always fighting, killing the next monster, and going at that breakneck pace. That’s what we considered the important part of what potions were doing in Diablo II.

Diablo carved out a template for action RPGs. Besides the auction house, what other gameplay aspects do you think will establish Diablo III as a distinct work, in terms of being released this or next year?

One of the things that I think is interesting about the Diablo franchise, as opposed to some of the other stuff out there, is that there really aren’t a lot of action RPGs. There’s Torchlight, Titan Quest. But as opposed to some of the other established genres, like first-person shooters, action RPGs are not a genre you’ve seen a ton. I think there’s still plenty of room to play with the genre. What we’re trying to emphasize so much more in this one is bringing in the co-op play—you can start playing a game by yourself, and [your network of Battle.net] friends can see you’re online and can jump right into your game—and trying to figure out how much story we can add but still keep the pace.

Why do you think there aren’t very many action RPGs compared to other genres?

I guess it’s always been a mystery to me. If you look at how popular Diablo and Diablo II were, there weren’t a whole lot of other people that went into the genre. If I were to speculate at all, where that genre probably went was more into a more immersive [rather than isometric] 3D. Diablo has more of that Rogue, NetHack approach—it’s more of a hardcore RPG from an item-collection standpoint, but it’s really fast-paced, randomized, and you can play over and over again. You haven’t seen a lot of games that have done that.

Do you think the game will find a sizable new audience, being such a distinct and older style of game?

Absolutely—Diablo was our most popular franchise, and our easiest thing to play, and in a lot of ways our most instantly gratifying game. It doesn’t get any easier than playing Diablo. You log on and it’s just a mouse-click away from having fun and killing monsters and picking up stuff.

A very interesting interview, imho. Bolded part is what I was really feeling with all the "issues" - we just do not know the whole picture yet. This game is not just D2 with some changes, it is a whole different - new - game.

I been playing some Diablo 2 lately and I'm starting to think the real money auction house is a really good thing. The amount of spam bots in Diablo 2 is disgustingly insane, with the auction house integrated in -- I'm sure it will eliminate the majority of them. Just make a game in D2 and all you get is people joining really fast, spamming "VISIT THIS WEBSITE FOR D2 ITEMS!" and then leaving (bots). And if you put a password you still get Whispers from spam bots. Joy.

Ranger X

Just a thought...

This game will probably end up being the most hacked PC game. Just because of that feature here. The occasion is too good for hacker to cash in and or fuck up the economy.

MrKnives

V_Arnold said:
A very interesting interview, imho. Bolded part is what I was really feeling with all the "issues" - we just do not know the whole picture yet. This game is not just D2 with some changes, it is a whole different - new - game.

Was reading it and thought that it's still part of the question. But nice interview.
Nice to hear from Pardo once in a while. Usually it's just Wilson.

Ranger X said:
Just a thought...

This game will probably end up being the most hacked PC game. Just because of that feature here. The occasion is too good for hacker to cash in and or fuck up the economy.

The online DRM should help in that regard. I'm sure blizzard is preparing to fight with this issue. At least I hope so because otherwise I think you could be right

V_Arnold

Ranger X said:
Just a thought...

Good luck hacking directly into Blizzard's BNET "to cash in and/or fuck up the economy". Wont happen anytime sooner than hobby hackers stealin money from big banks cause there is money in it.

chris-013

Funny but interesting thread on battle.net diablo 3 forums :

Just hear me out. It's pretty short, sweet, and simple.

What if there were a Blizzard bot that allowed you to do MF runs while you were at work/school/whatever? We all know that people will be botting no matter what, so why not give them an avenue that is safer and more efficient than using a 3rd party?

Since there is real money to be made in the game now, I think people are going to be more enticed than ever to go to a third party bot. Why not have an official bot for people to use so they don't introduce more potent cheats and hacks into the game to get the functionality they want from a bot? Blizzard can make sure the bots are being used for their intended purpose, nobody gets hacked, everyone wins.

I think Blizzard will agree with this line of thinking-- the proof is in the pudding with the recent changes, so let's all cross our fingers for an official bot :)

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27822643469&sid=3000&pageNo=1

Selling items through a third-party site wasn't really cheating the game though, it was just trading without having to have items yourself. A bot is a despicable thing that will only be to the game's detriment. So that analogy is shit, kinda.

Though I do hope Blizz cracks down on botters harder now than they did before. If the economy breaks then they will see less cash come out of it, maybe, probably. I'm sure they've put some very restrictive systems in there to make the game more enjoyable for everyone. I also hope they'll stop me from using map hacks and the like.

Top Bottom