• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed : Fifa 14 will be free with all xbox one pre orders (Europe only)

Baleoce

Here's the deal though. How long will FIFA 14 have been out on the older consoles by the time this next-gen version comes out? It's somewhere around mid September it actually releases I believe. Are the FIFA crowd really going to wait for it, and what are the advantages to the next-gen versions?

fallagin

Smart move. Hope it can help them a little, but it would have been much more substantial if the system was releasing in more European territories.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is good news.

Is this also going to be the promised free game for Scandinavians who preordered, as an apology for the delayed launch?

Sounds like a move to get pre-orders up. Nice move regardless and will help them to get closer to the PS4, because so far numbers have been terrible across Europe. Beyond that it is not going to help them much though as it looks like.

A nice deal, but no gamechanger.

Cov

In the UK I still believe supermarkets like ASDA, Tesco and Sainsbury's will be charging £20-30 for the new FIFA, as they have done the last few years.

For preorders only? That sucks. Well, it's great for those that preorder obviously.

They must really be seeing terrible preorder numbers if that's the case.

I would have been interested in a free Fifa 14 (which I would have sold 1 minute later if it wasnt a digital version). Anyway, Microsoft doesn't like my country so we won't get an Xbox One either.

Busty

Banned
FIFA FREE WITH XBOX ONE PRE_ORDERS IN EUROPE.....

... well most of Europe. The bit of Europe that we can actually be bothered releasing it in.

..., and when we say free copy it's a digital copy.

..., and when we say free for pre-orders it's actually 'while stocks last'.

So yeah.

Have at it?

It's not a question of the price.

It's a question of whether a Xbox and FIFA person sees the Kinect as being worth 40 bucks as opposed to 100 bucks.

Should be interesting to see.

NewGame

Banned
- Europe only (Assuming this means UK only)
- 'While stocks last'
- PS4 launches 2013 with the same game.

Pre-order un-precanceled.

Pug

In the UK I still believe supermarkets like ASDA, Tesco and Sainsbury's will be charging £20-30 for the new FIFA, as they have done the last few years.

No chance this will happen on the next gen software. Possible for 360 and PS3 but no chance will it be £25 on PS4 or Xbox one.

Makes a lot more sense now.

Being a pre-order free download benefits MS, EA and retailers.

Pre-order boost, non-transferable game, and retailers will still be selling FIFA when customers buy in the shop after launch.

I honestly thought MS were going to tape a copy of FIFA to every box in stores!!

Here's the deal though. How long will FIFA 14 have been out on the older consoles by the time this next-gen version comes out? It's somewhere around mid September it actually releases I believe. Are the FIFA crowd really going to wait for it, and what are the advantages to the next-gen versions?
I think a game like FIFA (or Madden or COD or Battlefield) isn't something that people will go out and buy a next gen console for but it is something that many people will consider buying with their new console.

In that sense, I don't think it really helps immensely despite being a good value add. The people who buy these annualized franchises by and large aren't waiting on new systems to come out to get their annualized franchises.

The reality is that these systems are supposed to sell themselves essentially at launch, at least that's normally the case.

This is good news, but it paints a pretty pathetic picture for MS's current state.

Not only are you basically blatantly admitting that your pre-orders in Europe has been terrible even after 8 countries got culled from the launch list, you chose FIFA as the game that you're going to bundle in?

FIFA is like the ultimate 'softcore' gaming franchise. It's loved and played by millions, but a large chunk of that audience doesn't dip in console preorders. They're much more likely to buy a 360/PS3 version, which comes out a good 3 months before XB1 launches.

Are the FIFA crowd really going to wait for it, and what are the advantages to the next-gen versions?

Games like FIFA has long-legs because their crowd are largely softcore/casual gamers.

Flayer

Not sure how effective this will be considering that Fifa 14 will have been out for a while before the X1 hits and all the hardcore Fifa players will already have bought and decided on a platform earlier.

It's undeniably a good bullet point though but in actuality it might be rather ineffective.

Sandfox

Pre order only is kinda lame but I'm kinda curious to see how this affects things given how expensive the Xbox is in the UK. I'm not expecting much but it will be interesting to see how it affects pre orders today.

Does that thing where you buy a game for 360 and then trade it for XBone credit apply to this? Also the tier 2-6 situation will be really interesting: "here, have a FIFA 2014 6 months later than anyone else"

Madness

It's only behind Black Ops II and Minecraft on the XBL most played games. So obviously FIFA is a phenomenon right now. And especially in soccer mad Europe, this is a great deal for anyone who pre-orders a system.

Sure they're probably getting killed by ps4 pre-orders, all those countries they left out of for 2013, but whenever do you get a third-party $59.99 game, one that will sell millions easily, be given free on launch?

Jamie OD

That's going to be interesting watching how they price the new games and consoles for the next generation.

Only preorders is stupid, supply will be probably limited and the people who preordered it would have anyway fifa or not, so in the end there won't be much of a sales increase in my opinion, unless preorders has been abysmal so far and they want to increase the preorder numbers.

rvy

Banned
Sure they're probably getting killed by ps4 pre-orders, all those countries they left out of for 2013, but whenever do you get a third-party $59.99 game, one that will sell millions easily, be given free on launch?

When a platform maker is scared shitless.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't understand why people keep pricing in the camera. If people wanted the camera and saw the value, MS wouldn't be bundling in for free the biggest franchise in Europe.

This solution is by its very nature aimed at fixing that problem.

QaaQer

Not sure how effective this will be considering that Fifa 14 will have been out for a while before the X1 hits and all the hardcore Fifa players will already have bought and decided on a platform earlier.

It's undeniably a good bullet point though but in actuality it might be rather ineffective.

It's pretty awesome for branding purposes though. You know, if the only time FIFA14 next gen version is shown is with xbone logo and colors people will associate FIFA with Xbone, not ps4. It's not a killer move or anything, but it is good marketing.

Top Bottom