• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

SURGEdude

You already answered me bro chill out.

I just find it funny some are going "this is wrong on multiple levels" and some are going "one game is shit and one isn't"

Different people have different opinions. How is that a surprise? I'm sure there are people who aren't thrilled about For Honor but are annoyed Steep is always online too.

prudislav

For Honor's combat seems a lot more complex than MGSR to me. It's definitely FAR more complex than Ryse. I'm thinking you didn't put much time into the game if you think it's only a little bit more complex than Ryse.
i guess people ignore my other words and directly nitpick the ryse mention , I even admited to exagerrate :-D
and partially yeah i didnt gave it the time i wanted and i really tried and i saw some "a bit more complexity" there but my brain and eyes were against it , it made me (i guess the camra zoom and fov) very nauseous every cca 15 minutes of playing ... but i still tried ... but enede up dissapointed anyway

Have you played any game you're talking about? Rising has blade mode, which is how you fight other players in for honor.
yeah 360 degrees blademode is totally the same as pick one of 3 sides :-D

and yeah forced myself to finish Ryse, beaten every Dark Souls couple timessame a MGRR and even spent quite an amount of time in DW8

Tigress

I understand, but why should you skip a game that you'll love now for the off chance you might wanna play it 10 years down the line but can't?

Because I don't want to support that shit and if I do that now more games will go that way when they see people will just accept it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
ubi.png

Wensih

Let's be real. 99% of you guys are going to buy this tape on sale for $40 or less, then trade it in after a few weeks.

This game also always needs power. What happens during a power outage?

After hurricanes, we would have local multiplayer parties running the PS2 off a generator. This is a false equivalence as the effects of always-online implementation have much farther reach than an individual's electrical grid situation. It ranges from not being able to access your game because the power/internet is out to the game being lost forever because servers shut down, destroying any preservation of the game for future generations.

I guess if our entire electrical infrastructure fails due to a nuclear war and we're living in a time period without electricity then maybe you have a point?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Let's be real. 99% of you guys are going to buy this tape on sale for $40 or less, then trade it in after a few weeks.

I would fuel up a generator or switch house. If I can play the game offline, the power outage would be my concern. If Uplay prevents me from playing the game, it`s their fault, and nothing I can do about it.

That dude actually banned me from Twitter for asking, along with two other guys.
For shame.

I don't know, he might be getting shit from angry gamers who are less....tactful, got fed up and just started blocking with reckless abandon.
Because I'm currently almost asleep and suffering impaired judgment, I asked him why. Maybe shouldn't have. Oh well.

Man... This was a highlight of E3 this year for me, now it's officially off my radar.

Shame.

Ubisoft, you don't get too tell me when I can play a single player game. Ever.

I think publishers are trying to put "lifetime" of games, so whenever they want to disable a game they can, even if the game is single player.
If this becomes a norm then ppl with "wait and see" approach will definitely have shorter time they can play their purchased game

Sad thing is many industries are trying to do the same thing, to some extent.
Thank god for Nintendo then

RexNovis

Banned
The sooner everyone accepts that Games As A Service is the future of AAA games the better off you'll be. There is no stopping it anymore. Not after the constantly inflating costs of development and the sales success of Destiny. You can bet your bottom dollar every publisher is going to want a piece of that pie. Luckily I tend to like a lot of smaller mid tier games but those of you whose tastes are more focused on the big budget SW just have to come to terms with the way things are headed.

TLDR: Welcome to your future GAF!

Gamezone

Gold Member
The sooner everyone accepts that Games As A Service is the future of AAA games the better off you'll be. There is no stopping it anymore. Not after the constantly inflating costs of development and the sales success of Destiny. You can bet your bottom dollar every publisher is going to want a piece of that pie. Luckily I tend to like a lot of smaller mid tier games but those of you whose tastes are more focused on the big budget SW just have to come to terms with the way things are headed.

So it cant be a service if it isnt always online? Ok.

Two Words

You seem to enjoy being the contrarian voice around these forums.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

TLDR: Welcome to your future GAF!

AKA, just lie down and take anticonsumer measures, and stop complaining, cause "the future"

What is it with people bringing up stupid arguments that have already been debunked in previous situations?

If something is dumb, people will complain about it.

At the most extreme end of the scale we can just say

"Globalization and cementing of power by multinational corporations at the expense of average people is unavoidable, stop protesting and worrying about consumer rights, cause its the future"

Inuhanyou

Being always online protects the service aspect. Keeps people from trying to cheat the service.

It also keeps the service giver fully in control, with no rights applied to the consumer. Yet people argue that this is how it should be on the basis of..some warped sense of false sense of higher authority or capitalism.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This has something to do with Piracy eh?

First Super Mario Run and now For Honor. What's next, Zelda?

I'm guessing it's to sell the inevitable sequels. "You want more For Honor? Purchase our brand new title For Honor 2, as the servers for the original game will close down soon!"

RPGam3r

It also keeps the service giver fully in control, with no rights applied to the consumer. Yet people argue that this is how it should be on the basis of..some warped sense of false sense of higher authority or capitalism.

You're afforded the rights the software creator wants you to have. This is true of most services.

Well, this is unfortunate. I'd rather the game have online connectivity specifically for the online modes, but whatever, I'll deal. Many of the video games I'm playing now require you to connect to the internet in order to play.

I'll still get For Honor when it releases.

Deadbeat

Banned
Consumers are stupid and deserve to have their money taken from them. We are now seeing the ante upped to where publishers have the power to take away the products they sold consumers with a flip of a switch. Again, its what consumers deserve because they are stupid.

Inuhanyou

Consumers are stupid and deserve to have their money taken from them. We are now seeing the ante upped to where publishers have the power to take away the products they sold consumers with a flip of a switch. Again, its what consumers deserve because they are stupid.

Before consumer rights were a thing, that's what companies thought, that's why there were no consumer rights.

There have to be smart people to fight for the people not willing to

etrain911

Is this Adam Orth's secret GAF account?

I definitely feel as though the single player campaign should be playable offline.

DigtialT

Every new Ubisoft game is requiring online. Watchdogs 2 and Steep require online. We should stop being surprised.

Watch Dogs 2 is not always online.
Is this Adam Orth's secret GAF account?

I definitely feel as though the single player campaign should be playable offline.

I honestly think it might be with their flippant attitude in both this thread and the Super Mario Run Always Online one.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Need for Speed servers were stable, but always online made it terrible. Good luck lacking pause mode with kids in the house.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there some legit reason why this game should be always online like loot or cheating? Based on the responses I'm seeing the answer is likely no.

We've discussed this a few times, but progression is shared between multiplayer and singleplayer. If you play the campaign solo or co-op, what you get (xp,gear, whatever) is saved to your single account progression. Same as if you're playing multiplayer.

However you play the game, it all goes towards your level, gear unlocks, whatever, since it's saved and served to you server-side. So you have the added benefit of never having 'wasted playtime,' and the game tracks you've unlocked. At any rate, that's likely the reason.

Plus, it's primarily a multiplayer experience as they've said from the beginning so it's probably better to have what you do in one mode impact the other and vice versa.

cheesekao

We've discussed this a few times, but progression is shared between multiplayer and singleplayer. If you play the campaign solo or co-op, what you get (xp,gear, whatever) is saved to your single account progression. Same as if you're playing multiplayer.

However you play the game, it all goes towards your level, gear unlocks, whatever, since it's saved and served to you server-side. So you have the added benefit of never having 'wasted playtime,' and the game tracks you've unlocked. At any rate, that's likely the reason.

Plus, it's primarily a multiplayer experience as they've said from the beginning so it's probably better to have what you do in one mode impact the other and vice versa.
Syncing offline progress with online mode isn't exactly a new thing so that excuse doesn't fly.

Demoskinos

I don't have a problem with them inherently making this choice but when you throw out advertising material claiming that the campaign is offline playable and then it isn't well... then that is an actual problem.

The actual campaign being online shouldn't be the real focus here the fact that Ubisoft advertised it publicly apparently in this manner is the real issue here.

Gamezone

Gold Member

This is done all the time without forced online.

Top Bottom