• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Garry's Mod is removing all Nintendo related content from their workshop due to a takedown from Nintendo

Cobaiye

Original thread got locked up before the news was confirmed.

It started with this:

to which Garry Newman further added:

So yeah, fuck Nintendo.

Chupanibre

It started with this:

to which Garry Newman further added:

chris farley what the fuck GIF

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo is a cancer. Hopefully someone will find a cure.
Almost the only company focusing on gameplay instead of cinematic everlasting conversations with NPCs lol.

I don't see the problem btw, I get why people would get mad but that's what it is, what I don't get is why people keep doing these contents, can't they just create their own stuff?

Cobaiye

Almost the only company focusing on gameplay instead of cinematic everlasting conversations with NPCs lol.

I don't see the problem btw, I get why people would get mad but that's what it is, what I don't get is why people keep doing these contents, can't they just create their own stuff?

Say you never played Gmod without saying you never played Gmod.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Say you never played Gmod without saying you never played Gmod.
I never played that thing, still don't see a problem with a company protecting their IPs, it's basically stop making other's games attractive without they not getting rewarded... I like it? No, I just don't care and can see why it would be a problem for allegedly effected company

Cobaiye

I never played that thing, still don't see a problem with a company protecting their IPs, it's basically stop making other's games attractive without they not getting rewarded... I like it? No, I just don't care and can see why it would be a problem for allegedly effected company

You gotta realize that Gmod isn't just a game, it's a whole subculture of PC gaming based on user-generated content that lets you mix stuff from any IP ever in an innocent way into a huge sandbox made purely and solely to have fun. Content from Nintendo's IP was a huge part of that. Killing Nintendo stuff in Gmod is killing a huge part of PC gaming culture.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You gotta realize that Gmod isn't just a game, it's a whole subculture of PC gaming based on user-generated content that lets you mix stuff from any IP ever in an innocent way into a huge sandbox made purely and solely to have fun. Content from Nintendo's IP was a huge part of that. Killing Nintendo stuff in Gmod is killing a huge part of PC gaming culture.
There you got why they killed it. What would Nintendo take from a service that is using their IPs in a way they can't control? In their eyes it might look like problems waiting to happen when other people start associating Nintendo in whatever shady stuff happening there lol

Cobaiye

There you got why they killed it. What would Nintendo take from a service that is using their IPs in a way they can't control? In their eyes it might look like problems waiting to happen when other people start associating Nintendo in whatever shady stuff happening there lol

Why wait 20 years to do that considering Gmod's prime has long past ?

This also raises up an ethical question about the whole matter, is it still right to make use of your legal rights if it means killing a culture that has existed for 20 years ?

Culture that, I might add, has never made a dent in the integrity of those IPs, all the contrary.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why wait 20 years to do that considering Gmod's prime has long past ?
IDK, ask Nintendo lol

This also raises up an ethical question about the whole matter, is it still right to make use of your legal rights if it means killing a culture that has existed for 20 years ?
WTF? I hope this is trolling... They built around someone else's business, well, yes, if the IP holder don't want that anymore it's ok, whether we like it or not... Too much emotional load in your reasoning, damn...

Culture that, I might add, has never made a dent in the integrity of those IPs, all the contrary.
IDK, ask Nintendo, I know as much as you why, but if I had to guess, it's the mere risk potential what drives them to take these actions, as long as they're not under control they'll fear that

Cobaiye

Of course I'm emotionaly invested in this, like MANY people I've grew up with Gmod. We're loosing something really big here despite how hard you're trying to downplay it for the sake of a company that absolutely doesn't care about you.

Last edited:

Ribi

They can DMCA claims all they want. Take em to court let's see it Nintendo. It only takes one.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Nintendo is cruel. Garrys Mod has offered more than Nintendo ever has or ever will. Tired of Nintendo's greedy bullsht. It's like they don't want anyone to be inspired by the things they created. It's all about money to them. They have all the money in the world yet they continue to make bad energy and fk with people. F Nintendo and their old masters with their totalitarian ways. Except Miyamoto et-all the talented developers. They are great, the company are aholes

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Muh ip protection from this 20-year-old modding scene lol. Still love ninty games & devs but their corpo heads are so lame.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nintendo right now:
AsTUw73.jpeg

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Steam GMod forums blowin up. People are upset and rightfully so. Leave it to Nintendo to garner negative energy. They must harvest it or something

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Now nobody can accidentally conflate garrys mod with high quality Nintendo games such as Star Fox on Wii U.

Last edited:

Doczu

Not to play the devils advocate here, but you guys know Nintendo is taking down stuff that is ripped from their games? Not fan created stuff?

Deft Beck

Not to play the devils advocate here, but you guys know Nintendo is taking down stuff that is ripped from their games? Not fan created stuff?

Then, expect the same to happen to VRChat. Where you can explore entire worlds ripped from Nintendo games and walk around as Mario in a bikini.

Top Bottom