• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/congresswoman-shot-in-arizona

Update: She and 6 others have died.

Update 2: Apparently the Congresswoman is still alive and currently in surgery.

Update 3: The Congresswoman is alive and out of surgery. A 9 year old boy is confirmed to have been killed.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office confirms. The 40-year-old Democrat was outside a Tucson grocery store when a gunman ran up and began firing indiscriminately. The suspect was taken into police custody.

The 40-year-old Democrat, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

At least nine other people, including members of her staff, were hurt. Giffords was transported to University Medical Center in Tucson. Her condition was not immediately known.

Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) poses with House Speaker John Boehner on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.
The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

More details to come.

Cyan

Banned
I'm trying to temper my initial reaction to this... but my assumption on reading the headline is hard to suppress.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
damn, I dont know if this is the same lady that was talking about all the border stuff and all.. I hope she is ok

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm not so diplomatic. Pleaseedon'tbemexican.

GOing through everyone's head probably. :lol

I hope she is OK and wish her and her staff a quick recovery.

Juice

I don't know why you aren't all thinking about Celeste Cunningham. First thing to pass through my brain was, "was it the neighbor's dog?"

Cyan

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm not so diplomatic. Pleaseedon'tbemexican.
Surprisingly, that one didn't even occur to me.

My first thought was Dem congressperson/Glenn Beck-watching shooter.

PalinTargets.jpg

Chichikov

Yeah, let's all speculate on the motives of the shooter based on what letter this congresswoman has in parenthesis before her name.

JGS

Banned
Verano said:
why would a mexican shoot a democrat??
:lol
If there is any Mexican (I'll say Latin in general) involvement, it'll make their laws look less whacky.

There's no particular political reason to assasinate the woman anyway so it could have been anyone.

EDIT: She actually seems to have an interesting immigration stance per Wiki.

Tamanon

Banned
She's gotta be dead now, I can't see how you survive what's reported:(

She seemed to be a regular blue dog, let's hold off on assigning political blame before first figuring out what happened and who the shooter is.

X26

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
What did she base her campaign on? What was she doing that could cause some crazy to act out like this?

She's a democrat, that's enough for some psychos

Dr. Light

Wow. My mom is heading up to Tucson right now to attend a play or something, maybe she'll find out more about this. This will be all over the papers tommorow (I live in southern AZ).

Pretty sure Gabrielle Giffords is a Democrat, this can't be about the immigration thing. What a fucking bizarre turn of events.

I just moved to CA, but she was my Congresswoman when I lived there. She was about the only politician in AZ who had any sense at all. That whole state is going to shit. There's people dying from the state cutting their healthcare. Just horrible.

Hope she makes it.

Zeliard

TacticalFox88 said:
This is going to be turned into a political fight. Watch it. Ugh.

Well, given that it could end up the assassination of a member of Congress, it's already political.

Chichikov

TacticalFox88 said:
This is going to be turned into a political fight. Watch it. Ugh.
Turn into political fight?
I thought that shooting a politician satisfied both the 'political' and 'fight' of it.

Edit: beaten.

threenote

Banned
Fucking tea bagger piece of shit. I hope the Tea Party will evaporate after this.

Here's hoping the Congresswoman survives this mess.

Puddles

Banned
I guess some people were REALLY against a Marxist government takeover of the best healthcare system in the world.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
My money is on right wing nutjobs, obviously. Against terrorism unless they're committing it.

Doesn't sound like she's going to make it. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom