• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor and Floyd have agreed to terms on a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
fight would need to be kick boxing at the very least for me to be interested. mcgregor would get embarrassed in a straight boxing match.

Sephzilla

Sooo, what happens in the off-chance that Connor actually wins this fight?

Then I wake up.

Ok, serious answer. If Conor could somehow do the impossible and beat Floyd, it would go down as one of the most amazing upsets in sports history. And UFC would never be able to afford Conor ever again.

theres no one good enough in boxing to take on floyd? or is he just not interested?

He stacks everything in his favour. McGregor is by far the biggest fight for him at the moment and it will be incredibly easy too. This is prime Floyd material right there, he probably can't believe his luck.

The extra weight of boxing gloves will slow Conors punches significantly, he already gasses after 15 minutes as it is.

Hope he has increased his cardio regime or he'll be lucky to even make it to a majority decision loss.

The extra weight of boxing gloves will slow Conors punches significantly, he already gasses after 15 minutes as it is.

Hope he has increased his cardio regime or he'll be lucky to even make it to a majority decision loss.

like he gives a shit.
he gets stroked on the face a little bit and can retire for good without any damage taken.

For people asking "Why will this fight happen"

Here are Conor McGregor's last 4 fight PPV buy rate

UFC 205 - 1.5 million buys
UFC 202 - 1.7 million buys
UFC 196 - 1.3 million buys
UFC 194 - 1.1 million buys

Mayweather vs Conor does at minimum 3 million buys. Both men will get enormous paychecks

sirap

Then I wake up.

Ok, serious answer. If Conor could somehow do the impossible and beat Floyd, it would go down as one of the most amazing upsets in sports history. And UFC would never be able to afford Conor ever again.

And if he doesn't, no one would really care that he got murked by Floyd fucking Mayweather in a boxing match. It's expected.

If Floyd loses, he'll just say he's old. Dude's gonna be 40 by the time they fight anyway.

Both will make a bazillion dollars. Everyone wins.

If it's a boxing match, let me give you a run down:

• Mayweather runs a clinic on the dude
  • McGregor can't hit the broadside of a barn
  • People are upset they paid so much money to watch what everyone knew would happen.
  • mayweatherlaughingtothebank.jpg

Add in Conor making bank and you're 100% correct.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
And if he doesn't, no one would really care that he got murked by Floyd fucking Mayweather in a boxing match. It's expected.

If Floyd loses, he'll just say he's old. Dude's gonna be 40 by the time they fight anyway.

yeah the only hope I have is that Floyd is hitting 40 soon and Connor is what, like 28-29? I've always wanted to see scumbag mayweather get knocked the fuck out.

vordhosbn

Banned
who cares

they're both winners basically no matter the outcome

who wouldn't fight for 100 million dollars AND IT'S NOT EVEN TO THE DEATH???

studyguy

Lets be fucking real as fuck here.

IF Conor somehow by the grace of god manages to not look like a fool while he eats counter punches to the dome through the enite fight and somehow KO's Mayweather.

Then they both win even more on the rematch because that means Mayweather lost his 50-0. And people want to see that shit again. Regardless of how you cut this both men are going to make off like bandits.

i think MMA might take a hit.
General audiences don't understand the differences all that well and just think that the biggest MMA guy just lost to a 40 year old boxer.

Sephzilla

The only person who has potentially anything to lose is Floyd, basically. Floyd losing would tarnish his legacy a ton, but at this point I don't think he'd care because he's rich AF

Coolade

Hmm differing reports everywhere

nNUXH7x.png

Lan Dong Mik

Unfortunately, It'll probably be Connor getting knocked out.

see i'm not sure mayweather has any power to knock out someone like connor. only way i see it happening is if connor just can't defend himself anymore and the ref stops the fight. i'd be shocked as hell if mayweather scores any knockdowns.

thefro

For people asking "Why will this fight happen"

Here are Conor McGregor's last 4 fight PPV buy rate

UFC 205 - 1.5 million buys
UFC 202 - 1.7 million buys
UFC 196 - 1.3 million buys
UFC 194 - 1.1 million buys

Mayweather vs Conor does at minimum 3 million buys. Both men will get enormous paychecks

Yep, Conor's a fantastic trash-talker and great at getting PR too. Would be a huge fight if it happened.

like he gives a shit.
he gets stroked on the face a little bit and can retire for good without any damage taken.

True and I applaud him for even getting this fight to this stage.

Mayweather is by no means a heavy hitter but he is not this feather touch fighter people like to make him out to be,Anyone is going down if they are hit square on the chin by a trained fighter.

sirap

The only person who has potentially anything to lose is Floyd, basically. Floyd losing would tarnish his legacy a ton, but at this point I don't think he'd care because he's rich AF

Yeah at the end of the day Floyd wants to get paid. Dude's got jets to buy, legacy ain't gonna pay the bills.

see i'm not sure mayweather has any power to knock out someone like connor. only way i see it happening is if connor just can't defend himself anymore and the ref stops the fight. i'd be shocked as hell if mayweather scores any knockdowns.

If the fight is 12 rounds then Connor is going to have to deal with endurance issues as well taking an accumulation of punches to the head and body. Not to mention, the disparity in speed between the two is so wide, I could see a Mayweather punch stun Connor due to him not seeing it and setting up a KO.

Rizific

what a stupid waste of time. well, no. ill take that back. what a stupid fight but an excellent pay day for both. cant hate, get that money. but i will be absolutely shocked at who wins this.

If it's a straight boxing match then I actually think Conor could potentially be a little dangerous because he doesn't have to worry about defending takedowns or kicks and can just focus purely on punching and counter-punching, which are Conor's strong suits. So I wouldn't entirely write off Conor. The problem is that he's taking on Floyd, who's the best counter puncher in the world.

Conor's most likely going to get embarrassed, though

Conor lost to Nate Diaz the first time mostly through strikes

Lan Dong Mik

If the fight is 12 rounds then Connor is going to have to deal with endurance issues as well taking an accumulation of punches to the head and body. Not to mention, the disparity in speed between the two is so wide, I could see a Mayweather punch stun Connor due to him not seeing it and setting up a KO.

that's a really good point, gotta wonder if this would be 12 rounds or 10. Connor gotta be requesting 10.

Really wanna see this fight now dammit.

studyguy

Mayweather's hands are glass these days. That's a straight up fact. A lifetime of boxing has legitimately done damage to that man's hands. He's not knocking anyone out, it's just gonna be counterpunches forever.

The Adder

Banned
It'll be a good match if you go into it with the right perspective. This is a survival mode, an unwinnable boss fight. The point isn't seeing McGregor win, or even hold his own, he's getting demolished. The point is seeing how long he lasts and if he looks good in his defeat. If he can make Mayweather work for the win (and with the mindset that he's not in it to win he might have an easier time with that than actual boxers) he comes out on top.

If it's a straight boxing match then I actually think Conor could potentially be a little dangerous because he doesn't have to worry about defending takedowns or kicks and can just focus purely on punching and counter-punching, which are Conor's strong suits. So I wouldn't entirely write off Conor. The problem is that he's taking on Floyd, who's the best counter puncher in the world.

Conor's most likely going to get embarrassed, though

Conor has no chance. Do you know why boxing gyms on the west coast giggle at people even thinking it, because there have been plenty of trainers and boxers that have seen Connor spar with some of their no name amateurs and journeymen and see Connor get absolutely worked.

zelas

It'll be a good match if you go into it with the right perspective. This is a survival mode, an unwinnable boss fight. The point isn't seeing McGregor win, or even hold his own, he's getting demolished. The point is seeing how long he lasts and if he looks good in his defeat. If he can make Mayweather work for the win (and with the mindset that he's not in it to win he might have an easier time with that than actual boxers) he comes out on top.
Mayweather working for the win will just involve the same nothing he always does. He'll hardly break a sweat. Nothing good is going to come out of this for McGregor except a one time huge pay day.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Of coarse Mayweather would take this, easiest boxing match of his career. Now if they had an actual fight, this would be the easiest fight of McGregors career. Either way, both gonna make insane amounts of money.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom