• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservatives defend Mike Pence not interacting with women cause they might have sex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't mean to imply there are certain things you can't do or choose not to (go out at night drinking, go to a movie, etc) but especially business things and lite interactions like a meal and one offs and what not are so far removed from that unless you're a raging sexaolic with no self control

Exactly.

Silraru

I certainly don't speak for others, but I believe it is more about avoiding temptation as a whole for either party, man or woman. This is not to say people are just going to lunge at each other and start having sex then and there on the table, but that the person doesn't even want to put themselves in a situation that could eventually lead to more. Having a third party along (of any sex) is less intimate of a setting though and more acceptable. Being a politician, it also helps to keep in mind the optics from others. People may not know it is a business dinner and look to push a scandal for some extra clicks on their website. This seems like a reasonable way to protect his family as well. Again though, I don't know his exact reasoning, but that would be my guess.

As for the rest, I guess it is up to the person in question. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned knowing someone who wouldn't even get into an elevator with women. I imagine that is a little more on the extreme side though. I would say for others it is about being alone in an intimate environment or venturing out with that one person.

I am just curious why this is such a bad thing though when myself and others do the same as women. Not all of us do of course, but I certainly have never been given any flack for being fairly conservative in regards to business/social outings. Personally it is less about temptation though and more about awareness of the situations I put myself in.

I agree with this post and I don't see anything wrong or o be outraged about what Pence is doing here. It doesn't mean that automatically people are going to engage in intimate conversations or relationships over a meal but a lot of cheating do start with meals alone with the other party. And yes the media too can twist things and make him look bad. It is really a precaution.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was wondering where the thread about this was.

But yeah if you go through life seeing women as nothing more than vile temptations of course you're going to think like Pence. And the really sad part is a large amount of women have internalized this view as well so they see other women as competition for their spouses. It's just all toxic masculinity in the end.

MartyStu

Let's say you are a women want to interact with men in positions of power like the VP...

Exactly. These sorts of 'bonding' moments are exactly the type an upwardly mobile person has in order to network. This is the sort of bullshit that leads to women getting screwed over.

devilhawk

I won't defend Pence, but comparing this to Sharia law is a false equivalency to spectacular levels. So don't do that, as you sound like a fucking idiot.

Boney

Banned
Seems the crux of the matter is that even having desiring thoughts of another person is seen as sinful. So not having dinner is a "checkmate devil" meme.

What's weird is that when I'm thirsty everything I look takes over that dirty little place of my mind.

Those women are incredibly, debilitatingly insecure.

See, I kinda disagree with this. And think it needs to be discussed in a broader context.

Firstly, everyone has insecurities. Everyone. One of the most important things is to discuss them with ones spouse and come to an agreement about behavior.

Like if Billy the Office worker is having late night diners with his secretary that'd be a clear red flag.

But if Billy is a congressman or some shit that's having a dinner with Amy the politician to discuss political shit because that's the only time they have available in their schedule that's a completely different story.

So context matters. When it comes to politics discussions over meals are common. So I wouldn't flip if my wife needs to do her thing. But I'm pretty sure if I just randomly start dining with women my wife and I would be having a conversation, lol.

And you're right at the same time. Some folks are insecure about that type of stuff while some aren't. But then again maybe other people are insecure about something else entirely.

People are complicated, lol.

Pau

Exactly. These sorts of 'bonding' moments are exactly the type an upwardly mobile person has in order to network. This is the sort of bullshit that leads to women getting screwed over.
Yup. Like, fine, if you want to keep this rule for purely social stuff, whatever. I think it's being paranoid but it doesn't really negatively affect anyone. Men doing this in professional settings (both formally and informally) does negatively affect women.

Pence is so fiercely not gay, that he's liable to just start boning any woman he sees if given the chance. And who could possibly resist?

Derwind

I agree with this post and I don't see anything wrong or o be outraged about what Pence is doing here. It doesn't mean that automatically people are going to engage in intimate conversations or relationships over a meal but a lot of cheating do start with meals alone with the other party. And yes the media too can twist things and make him look bad. It is really a precaution.

Cheating is an action that starts & ends with you as a person, not an innocent meal.

Tabloids & Gossip mags have effectively been twisting headlines in exchange for sales for at least the last 30 years and yet people still live their lives around the company of others (including the opposite sex) all the time.

I think Pence needs serious and deep help if this is how he conducts himself as an elected official.

As a private citizen he can lock himself in his home all he likes with a poster of silhouette of a lady crossed out plastered on his door with the caption "boys only" but while acting as the god damn Vice President of the United States, he should at least try to look at women like they are human beings and not a potential infidelity.

ZOONAMI

Well, what's worse is that it's essentially assuming all women are raging sexaholics. Like what, you just think every woman you are attracted to also wants to fuck you?

And even if both of you do want to fuck each other you aren't capable or any restraint whatsoever and instead would just choose to do harm to yourself personally and professionally?

It's an excercise in blame shifting as well. If it were to happen it's not my fault at all because the woman wanted to fuck me and I'm a married man!

It's preposterous on so many fronts and is disprectful of women in general, and is even degrading to Pence's own dignity.

rataven

This is not uncommon at all. I know plenty of women who would blow up at the thought of their husband having dinner alone with another woman.

I know a few too, and I can't help but think some of that is perpetuated by seeing men in prominent positions like Pence make statements like this. If the VP is saying he can't control himself around a woman at a private dinner, why should a regular Joe be held to a different standard? Its nonsense.

Cindro

As someone who despises cheaters almost as much as I despise the Trump administration, a man who is willing to crush temptations before they even have a chance to form is damn commendable. How many affairs would be averted if every married person took this approach?

Pretty disgusting that some of you are warping the ideal of cherishing your wife above all else into a negative.

ZOONAMI

As someone who despises cheaters almost as much as I despise the Trump administration, a man who is willing to crush temptations before they even have a chance to form is damn commendable. How many affairs would be averted if every married person took this approach?

Pretty disgusting that some of you are warping the ideal of cherishing your wife above all else into a negative.

Because it demeans all women other than your wife?

Derwind

You know what's warped, treating other human beings as a potential sexual encounter. That's fucking depraved and repressed.

MartyStu

My point is it's an idiotic thing to pile on the guy for, when there are a multitude of legitimate other issues to give him shit over.

I mean, be my guest to do it. It's just stupid. Carry on.

Will do!

It is not like anyone is marching over this or lobbying against Pence on this matter.. It is a discussion about a silly/shitty thing a politician said that may or may not be indicative of his position on other things.

The argument that we should only discuss the bigger issues and never the minor or mildly irreverent ones is much more stupid. Again: we can multitask.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let's put it this way: if he's religious, he believes that an unseen entity controls the destiny of the entire universe. Why is this the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pence's specific position on this issue is a problem for an elected official but yes, ultimately minor.

However his defenders, and the wider implications of this mindset that pervades American culture is absolutely worthy of attention because it's a nebulous, invasive idea that undermines gender relations on all levels of society. You can even extrapolate from this to Pence's view of gays. If he considers himself vulnerable to temptation in the mere presence of a women how do you think he feels about gays? They must all be sodomites looking for any opportunity to molest innocent men!

I think that's a gross oversimplification and Pence is getting a lot of unfair hatred because he's part of the Trump administration rather than having the situation judged on its merits. I know of a person who went on a business trip with a person of the opposite gender and they had to get separate rooms because of the fact. If they had shared the same room but slept in separate beds would that have been appropriate even though it was purely business and non sexual? People have their own boundaries and if Pence doesn't want to put himself in a position where he is having dinner with a female associate on his own then he should be allowed to.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like Pence would have gone on that trip.

Okay but like if you're the Vice President and you don't meet privately with women because you have weird intimacy issues and can't separate them long enough for business or political purposes, do you know who suffers as an unintended consequence? LITERALLY ALL WOMEN.

Kurdel

Banned
Marriage is a desert, other women are like oasis.

Tempting fate by even going close to feel the plants will most def lead to drinking that sweet forbidden water.

This is a healthy way to live.

Well, what's worse is that it's essentially assuming all women are raging sexaholics. Like what, you just think every woman you are attracted to also wants to fuck you?

And even if both of you do want to fuck each other you aren't capable or any restraint whatsoever and instead would just choose to do harm to yourself personally and professionally?

It's an excercise in blame shifting as well. If it were to happen it's not my fault at all because the woman wanted to fuck me and I'm a married man!

It's preposterous on so many fronts and is disprectful of women in general, and is even degrading to Pence's own dignity.

Good points as well. I ain't even consider that angle. That's fucked up lol.

azyless

I don't commend people for not being able to have the most basic interactions with someone without wanting to cheat on their partners. You wanna cheat so bad you go on, better yet you act like an adult and you tell your partner you're obviously not satisfied with the relationship.
I know this is gonna seem crazy but some people actually do enjoy their relationships and aren't some uncontrollable sex machines dodging temptations left and right.
Pretty disgusting that you would imply that anyone who doesn't let themselves be controlled by their partner's insecurity or fucked up "values" would cherish their partner any less.

(Btw if we could stop the jokes about how all the homophobes are actually gay and really homophobia is our own fault, that'd be nice)

riotous

Banned

So people who claim they should never be alone with another woman never cheat?

Half the time this crap is just projection; I'd say you are no more or less likely to cheat if you claim you should never be alone with another woman.

kevm3

Sounds like a bunch of false outrage in here. He chooses not to go to dinner alone with women that aren't his wife.

Pence just creeps me out man.

-scary stance on gays
-attitude towards women
-calls his wife mother

Dude is like a walking caricature of unhealthy sexual repression.

Silraru

Cheating is an action that starts & ends with you as a person, not an innocent meal.

Tabloids & Gossip mags have effectively been twisting headlines in exchange for sales for at least the last 30 years and yet people still live their lives around the company of others (including the opposite sex) all the time.

I think Pence needs serious and deep help if this is how he conducts himself as an elected official.

As a private citizen he can lock himself in his home all he likes with a poster of silhouette of a lady crossed out plastered on his door with the caption "boys only" but while acting as the god damn Vice President of the United States, he should at least try to look at women like they are human beings and not a potential infidelity.

Yes and no. Cheating does start with a person but what may start out with an innocent meal can lead to more. Of course, even in those cases, the people have to act on it. However, if one of the party is in a vulnerable position socially or emotionally it will be harder to resist such temptation. It is not a bad idea to nip it in the bud all together. People mention business meals but why would it be bad if instead of going to such meals alone with other party, he chooses to have someone else there? Even as vp, I wonder how likely he is to dine with a woman alone for business reasons. I would think it is more likely for him to dine with a group of people for business rather than a woman alone.

As a woman, I would not mind if a coworker does what Pence does and I would not feel insulted. Why does such behaviour have to translate into viewing women as potential infidelity?

Kurdel

Banned
Dude is like a walking caricature of unhealthy sexual repression.

giphy.gif

Meier

I think that's a gross oversimplification and Pence is getting a lot of unfair hatred because he's part of the Trump administration rather than having the situation judged on its merits. I know of a person who went on a business trip with a person of the opposite gender and they had to get separate rooms because of the fact. If they had shared the same room but slept in separate beds would that have been appropriate even though it was purely business and non sexual? People have their own boundaries and if Pence doesn't want to put himself in a position where he is having dinner with a female associate on his own then he should be allowed to.

This is a horrible, horrible example and a total false equivalence. Of course they got separate bedrooms. You generally get naked at some point in your hotel room and on top of that you usually sleep in minimal clothing. It was almost assuredly company policy NOT to allow them to share a room for very obvious reasons.

Having dinner is not something that is inherently intimate. You're in public and most importantly, dressed.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This is a thing. My religious brother in law said he won't get in an elevator or similarly small space with a woman who isn't his wife (if it's just the two of them).

I have a coworker who also won't get into elevators with women that are not his wife. (if it's just them)

If he wanted to put his wife above all else, he shouldn't have taken the oath of office. The vice president shirking his responsibilities (however minor) because of some weird hangup is not a positive.

Pau

It is not a bad idea to nip it in the bud all together. People mention business meals but why would it be bad if instead of going to such meals alone with other party, he chooses to have someone else there?
The idea is that instead of having someone else also be there, he'll probably just decline such meals.

Beyond just Pence, going out to eat for business one on one isn't exactly unheard of. As a woman, I'd be pretty pissed if I want to talk to a male coworker about something over lunch/dinner but I wasn't able to because he couldn't find a chaperon in time.

Sounds like a bunch of false outrage in here. He chooses not to go to dinner alone with women that aren't his wife.

Yeah, I think it's an over-reaction. The one thing that I think is an issue is that if Pence won't (or says he's doesn't) even meet with women, alone, in a private place, for business then that would seem to give special access to him from men that women wouldn't otherwise get. Like, his Lt. Governor in Indiana was a woman, and I think, did they not have closed door meetings...? I'm no politician, but I regularly have "confidential" meetings with people about something, not about anything salacious or exciting, but just meetings in confidence... and if I only had confidential meetings with men, and not women, then I could see how that could be a problem for me.

I think it's odd how strict he is for a person who lives in the United States in 2017, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with it. I wouldn't scoff at a Muslim man who had strong religious convictions about this either. If the VP were a Muslim man, then I think the right would be jumping down his throat for how anti-American and regressive it is, and then the left would be jumping to his defense about how it's his religious conviction and we need to be more accepting of different cultures.

So I think it's odd for this sort of seemingly paranoia-driven fear of being tempted, but I think the left is over-reacting in finding it abominable and the right is over-reacting in trying to pretend like it's the most normal thing in the world.

Marriage is a desert, other women are like oasis.

Tempting fate by even going close to feel the plants will most def lead to drinking that sweet forbidden water.

This is a healthy way to live.

It's the internet, so who knows if this is sarcasm, but if your marriage is a "desert", the you've already got plenty of shit that needs addressing.

Cindro

I recognize I'm giving pence the benefit of the doubt here, but this scenario reminds me of a friend of mine who was more easily tempted by sex than others. He was in a committed relationship, loved his girlfriend, but constantly struggled with lust.

So whenever I'd invite him out for drinks, or to a party, he'd say no unless his girlfriend came with. It wasn't because he assumed all women wanted to bang him, but rather because he knew his own weakness and didn't want to introduce even a 1% risk into the equation.

Putting your spouse first, to the point where you don't want tempting thoughts about others to even enter your head, is something I have a great deal of respect for.

How many cheaters end up looking back on the chain of events that led them to infidelity, and wonder how they could've possibly ended up making such a family-ruining mistake?

Most people don't guard against temptations this way, and temptations are probably much easier to come by when you're a heartbeat away from being the most powerful man on the planet.

I still think pence is a terrible person for his gay conversion therapy stuff, but I have a lot of respect for this particular choice of his.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Of course you can innocently dine with a member of the opposite sex. You just have to make sure they're clothed in a full burqa so your uncontrollable male urges aren't inflamed.

Pau

that would seem to give special access to him from men that women wouldn't otherwise get.
This is exactly it. We (women) can be pretty screwed when it comes to networking with men (who are more likely to be in higher positions depending on the industry) in professional settings. This is just a drop in the bucket, but those drops add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom