• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial final fantasy opinions?

Doomtrain

Cloud is hotter than Tifa.

finalf-fantasi-vii-remake-cloud-dress.jpg
I’ll smash them.

I fucking hate FF XII combat system, but still enjoyed the game despite it.

Seeing people doing FF IX dirty on the thread is making me mad lol

But thats what I love about this franchise: each game is so different, thats impossible to reach a consensus on which one is the best game

Even when a new entry is not for me (FF XI/FF XIV) I still respect Square for taking risks. Completely changing their biggest franchise every time is ballsy af and should be commended, specially in a time where every big name in the industry is always aiming for the safest bet available to them.

See how many God of War games were released before Sony changing the formula, or Gears of War never changing, or how so many Sony games are now very derivative

I went off topic a little bit but I just wanted to throw a bone at Square 'cause they deserve it
Damn you with the last two paragraphs. It’s like every damn time someone says something respectable, they just screw the pooch and completely make their post irrelevant…

Bruh, make your point and then stfu, for real. And you even know your shit went off topic and posted that….why? It doesn’t do anything other than make you look foolish, and seriously makes the reader disregard your opinion.

Hugare

Damn you with the last two paragraphs. It’s like every damn time someone says something respectable, they just screw the pooch and completely make their post irrelevant…

Bruh, make your point and then stfu, for real. And you even know your shit went off topic and posted that….why? It doesn’t do anything other than make you look foolish, and seriously makes the reader disregard your opinion.
I'm baffled by how pathetic you reaction was

It wasnt even that much off topic. It was still about Square/Final Fantasy. I only mentioned GOW and Gears to prove my point, and that was hardly a controversial opinion.

Why are you so butthurt again?

Great contribution to the topic, btw

I'm baffled by how pathetic you reaction was

It wasnt even that much off topic. It was still about Square/Final Fantasy. I only mentioned GOW and Gears to prove my point, and that was hardly a controversial opinion.

Why are you so butthurt again?

Great contribution to the topic, btw
You literally said it’s off topic. That’s as off topic as you can get. It added absolutely nothing to the point you were trying to make. I’m not butt hurt, I’m just trying to figure out why you had to go off topic and even went so far off topic, you even had to announce you were going off topic.

Here, I’ll even quote you,
“See how many God of War games were released before Sony changing the formula, or Gears of War never changing, or how so many Sony games are now very derivative

I went off topic a little bit but I just wanted to throw a bone at Square 'cause they deserve it.”

Seems like a Sony shot….but okay, sounds a lot like it had everything to do with Final Fantasy controversy topic. Keep trying to paint me like to one who is butt hurt…we will just roll with that and stop the convo there 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Not sure if controversial but...

FF8 is a top tier game. Particulatly the art direction which scratches a certain itch I can't get from any other game. Music, pacing and general story are also great, with some really memorable elements throughout. Space, the gardens, fishermans HQ, Winhill, the dream sequences etc.... and a lot more I love about it.

FF10 is a beautiful journey from start to finish and I think perhaps the most replayable FF game. Something about Spira that captures the imagination more than other FF worlds.

FF12 I went from hating this game when I was 16 to thinking its a masterpiece at age 32. Better than 99% of modern games. The writing and character performance is superb.

I felt each of the 13 trilogy of games were more fun to play than 15, but prefer 15s art direction. That said overall I really dislike both and won't ever replay them.

Also love 4, 6, 7, 9., 7R.... really if there's a story to tell, focus on characters, mystery, some spiritual shit then I'll enjoy it. So I'm having a blast with 16 so far and it will rank highly for me. Feels like the first complete FF game since 10 or 12.

Hugare

You literally said it’s off topic. That’s as off topic as you can get. It added absolutely nothing to the point you were trying to make. I’m not butt hurt, I’m just trying to figure out why you had to go off topic and even went so far off topic, you even had to announce you were going off topic.

Here, I’ll even quote you,
“See how many God of War games were released before Sony changing the formula, or Gears of War never changing, or how so many Sony games are now very derivative

I went off topic a little bit but I just wanted to throw a bone at Square 'cause they deserve it.”

Seems like a Sony shot….but okay, sounds a lot like it had everything to do with Final Fantasy controversy topic. Keep trying to paint me like to one who is butt hurt…we will just roll with that and stop the convo there 🤷‍♂️
There's something called nuance

There's slightly off topic, when discussing about a company and its games in a thread about its biggest franchise.
Then there's very off topic, when being a jackass to someone because you didnt agree with his post, adding nothing to the topic at hand.

"Seems like a Sony shot". Didnt know that Gears of War was a Sony franchise.

I get it now that you got butthurt 'cause I also mentioned Sony franchises as examples for my post. Couldnt just ignore my post, huh, console warrior?

Lets get back on topic

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Okay time to give an actual controversial opinion.... I think Seymour is a great villain, despite being the most obvious evil character of all time before the fact is revealed lol.

Fucked up childhood, twisted by the cruelty and falsity of Spira, power hungry, murders his father, obsessed with Yuna and tries to marry her, clings on after death and almost fulfilled his ambition of becoming Sin.
Had enough going on for the player to feel some sympathy but also want to pummel him to a pulp. A great machiavellian FF villain.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm playing the phone pixel remaster of VI and I think I like the arranged OST better (than the OG OST)... I feel almost dirty saying that but I've really been pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I don't know why, but the most garbage Final Fantasy titles have some of the most goosebumps-inducing, sublime tracks.

FFXIII's battle theme, "Blinded by Light", is absolutely incredible. Possibly the best in the series.

Then you have Noriko Matsueda dropping this absolutely gorgeous title theme and then retiring from the industry:

Raven117

That's not a controversial opinion, I believe it's pretty widely shared by those who are into the franchise. FFT had the best plot and some of the best characters.

Also probably the best art design alongside FFXII - I'll take Yoshida and Minagawa over Nomura any day of the week.

image.png
Yup

sigmaZ

Also, FFX is the best game in the series, and that awkward laughing scene with Tidus isn't nearly as bad as some claim it is.
I'm currently replaying it after 16. Only still at the beginning, but this time I'm playing in Japanese and I find the dialog to be quite good so far. it has a really casual nonchalant tone, but fortunately isn't as quirky as say FF8 (which writing really turned me on a recent replay). FFX also has incredible music from Uematsu and the Okinawan/tropical theme is quite nice as well.
I still am not a fan of the sphere system (or sphere systems in any game) though. And maybe my opinion will change, but I seem to remember fighting the same three enemy archetypes throughout the majority of the game and overusing the Wakka's petrify ball. We shall see... I still hold the snes games and 7 as my favorite as I feel they are what to Square as The Little Mermaid and Aladdin are to Disney.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The gambit battle system in XII is the best of all the series, including XVI.
Loved gambits, I wish they would add this to their various remakes/remasters of the older FF games.

In those games (and the vast majority of other turn-based JRPGs) you just sit there making the same braindead simple and obvious decisions over and over in 95% of battles. Being able to automate it to my exact specifications is more fun.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’m just gonna say it. FFIX has a mediocre soundtrack.

This is straight up dogshit compared to VII, VIII, and X soundtracks lol

I have to agree. I like the battle music but nothing else stood out or was memorable. I know music is subjective but FF games generally nail it so when it doesn't stand out or engage me, it's really noticable.

I'm also not a huge fan of the XVI OST, I won't say it's bad but it's mostly forgettable for me. The battle music is cool though.

Top Bottom