• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convicted sex offender moves next door to his victim. And it's perfectly legal

Dalek

Convicted sex offender moves next door to his victim. And it's perfectly legal

(CNN)Fourteen years ago, Danyelle Dyer was molested by her step-uncle.

Now, the man has moved next door to Dyer's parent's house in Oklahoma -- and legally, there's nothing they can do about it.

Sexual offenders laws are in place to keep predators away from children. Like many other states, Oklahoma law bars sex offenders from living nears schools and churches.

But what Dyer and her family discovered is the state doesn't have a statute that prevents a sexual predator from moving next door to his victim.

Dyer, who's now 21, is fighting to change that.

Dyer was only 7 when her dad's step-brother, Harold Dwayne English, came to visit their Bristow, Oklahoma, home for the summer.

He had been convicting of sexually abusing a child. But Dyer's parents didn't know that.
Throughout that summer, her repeatedly molested her, Dyer said.

"As a 7-year-old, I had never been exposed to anything like that so I didn't know it was bad until he told me not to tell," Dyer told CNN.

When she finally told her parents, English was arrested, convicted, and sent away to prison.

"I would rather look down the barrel of a gun than relive the time I had to look into my 7-year-old daughter's eyes as she struggled to tell me what had happened to her," the father said.

Two weeks ago, English was released from prison and he moved in with his mother -- Dyer's grandmother -- who lives right next door.

"If I look outside, I can see my grandmother's entire house. We are maybe 100 yards from her house," Dyer said.

At first, her parents told Dyer not to worry.

"Legally, we didn't think he could," she said.

Her parents called lawmakers, the police, the prison system. Each assured them the law barred English from living so close to his victim.

But then, each called back to say they were wrong. There was nothing that legally prevented English from doing so.

"My mom called and told me that we can't stop this from happening," Dyer said.
At first, Dyer said she felt let down by the state. Then she decided to do something about it.

"I don't want anyone else to ever have to go through the feelings of reliving the trauma from something like this," she said.

Her first step: Post a picture of her abuser on Facebook.

"Meet my abuser and my new neighbor," it said.

Her dad put up signs in their front yard alerting people that a sex offender lived nearby. First, he went to the neighbors to make sure no one would object.
"They were very supportive and most of them have children and they don't want him around," Dyer said.

Now, the Dyer family is working with Oklahoma State Rep. Kyle Hilbert to introduce a new bill protecting victims.

The legislative season begins again in February. So they have roughly six months to write the bill.

"I'm doing everything I can to try and help and do something statutorily to prevent this from happening to anyone else in Oklahoma," Hilbert said.

Will the bill be named after Dyer? Hilbert said that's completely up to her.

"It would be an honor for the bill to be named after me," Dyer said. "It's because of my father that I am strong enough to fight this battle. He has always taught me to take a negative situation and turn it into a positive one to help others."

Now, the Dyer family is working with Oklahoma State Rep. Kyle Hilbert to introduce a new bill protecting victims.

If this were in almost any other state but Oklahoma I'd be optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended with them making her give a public apology for disparaging the sex offender's "good" name.

5723692729498.jpg

Where you at

Ponn

Banned
Fuck that grandmother. I'm already picturing how that shit went down, sounds exactly like an enabler of her son.

New Hampshire Republicans struck down a law to prevent minors from marrying. Anything is possible

Wait, the law they struck down would allow minors to get married? I'm not sure how Republicans disallowing minors from getting married is anywhere near the same as if they were to oppose a law which would stop sex offenders from living nextdoor to their victims.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't believe in violence but some fucking people...

Obscura

This is actually unbelievable. What the fuck is wrong with you, Oklahoma?

I don't know anything about restraining orders but hopefully she can get one in this situation.

This makes no sense, why is she not able to get a restraining order? Three lack of foresight in the law is stupid but she should still have other avenues available.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
If this were in almost any other state but Oklahoma I'd be optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended with them making her give a public apology for disparaging the sex offender's "good" name.
Basically. I really pray this works out for her and legislation protecting victims passes.

Husker86

Wait, the law they struck down would allow minors to get married? I'm not sure how Republicans disallowing minors from getting married is anywhere near the same as if they were to oppose a law which would stop sex offenders from living nextdoor to their victims.

There was a law to prevent minors from marrying. They struck it down.

That's how I read it.

On the one hand, that's bad.

On the other, is there anywhere else this dude could actually live? Where do you put a person nobody wants around (and one who presumably doesn't have any money to his name and limited means of securing gainful employment)?

The complicating factor is living near family when there's obvious dysfunction in play.

Beartruck

This is actually unbelievable. What the fuck is wrong with you, Oklahoma?

I don't know anything about restraining orders but hopefully she can get one in this situation.
Sadly seems like a loophole in the law that hasn't been an issue until now. Glad they plan to fix it.

It says it's her step-uncle, so her step-grandomther who yes, is probably more bitter about an "unrelated" child "causing trouble" then the fact that her own son is a sex offender. Extremely disgusting. Hopefully she can at least get a restraining order.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

It's the opposite. Perhaps I worded it wrong?

It is legal in NH for minors to marry. A young lady tried to get a bill to pass to prevent this. GOP struck it down.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...te-girls-boys-13-years-old-girl-a7762776.html

Oh my geez, since child molesters are know to be very clumsy individuals I sure do hope the Uncle doesn't some how accidentally fall down repeatedly and suffer some sort of injury. That would be a terrible shame.

You would think a restraining order would automatically be part of getting convicted of a sex crime. It's odd that they take measures to make sure the offender can't live around a lot of kids but don't take any to make sure they can't follow their victim around.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm almost as perplexed at the term "step-uncle' as I am the lack of a common sense law here. WTF all the way around.

ironmang

Bad enough that he's allowed to be free so soon considering it's not his first conviction. Then to let him live next to the victim? How was this scenario overlooked?

On the one hand, that's bad.

On the other, is there anywhere else this dude could actually live? Where do you put a person nobody wants around (and one who presumably doesn't have any money to his name and limited means of securing gainful employment)?

The complicating factor is living near family when there's obvious dysfunction in play.

Well not next to his victim seems like a good start

Ganhyun

The article mentions other neighbors have children. Isn't a requirement for sex offenders not being able to live within a set radius of children or schools and such? Or does that vary by state? Because, depending on how far away said children live from where he is now, that could force him to move regardless if Oklahoma has that type of rule.

Top Bottom