• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convicted sex offender moves next door to his victim. And it's perfectly legal

TS-08

The article mentions other neighbors have children. Isn't a requirement for sex offenders not being able to live within a set radius of children or schools and such? Or does that vary by state? Because, depending on how far away said children live from where he is now, that could force him to move regardless if Oklahoma has that type of rule.

I think the restrictions are typically based on locations, like schools. I don't know how it would reasonably work if sex offenders couldn't live within a certain distance from children in general.

In this day and age where people.can barely afford or are constantly refused mortgages, a person was able to buy a house next door to their sex abuse victim.

The world is a strange place.

Well not next to his victim seems like a good start

Sure. But where?

The question I have is entirely one of practicality. Does Oklahoma have a social safety net to cover this situation? Is there a halfway house, anywhere, anything, that would house him? If so, absolutely, put him there. If Oklahoma doesn't have such provisions, then this is what you're bound to have happen at least once in a blue moon.

notsol337

marked forever
In this day and age where people.can barely afford or are constantly refused mortgages, a person was able to buy a house next door to their sex abuse victim.

The world is a strange place.

The abuser did not buy a house, he moved in with his mother, who happens to live next door to the lady that was abused.

br3wnor

On the one hand, that's bad.

On the other, is there anywhere else this dude could actually live? Where do you put a person nobody wants around (and one who presumably doesn't have any money to his name and limited means of securing gainful employment)?

The complicating factor is living near family when there's obvious dysfunction in play.

Nobody wants to seriously talk about child molesters or other sex offenders post prison sentence and what to do with them. There's a good documentary, I think on Netflix, called Perv Park or something like that where it's a trailer park in Florida that only sex offenders live in. They basically have to be their own support system because once it's out that they molested a kid or raped someone, from employers to the general public, no one wants anything to do with them.

Unless we're ready as a society to either execute or give life in prison w/ no parole sentences to all sex offenders, what happens to them when they get out of prison is something that should at least be given some thought, because right now a lot of them operate in a no-man's land when it comes to employment and living situations. This guy probably had to choose between being homeless or moving in w/ his mom, so he chose to move in with his mom. It's completely fucked for the victim, but if there was more thought into what happens to a guy like this when he's released, maybe it could have been avoided.

In the end though any politician advocating for that kind of effort would roundly get tossed so no one does anything about it.

Sure. But where?

The question I have is entirely one of practicality. Does Oklahoma have a social safety net to cover this situation? Is there a halfway house, anywhere, anything, that would house him? If so, absolutely, put him there. If Oklahoma doesn't have such provisions, then this is what you're bound to have happen at least once in a blue moon.

I don't care.

Not my concern.

I hope she gets justice. I know I'd never speak to my grandmother again, let alone ever give this asshole of an "uncle" a second more of my time. How can people be so thoughtless and cruel?

I applaud her and her parents for showing restraint in not just showing up with a baseball bat at his door and making clear he is not welcome in that town. Hope they fix this and he is removed.

I hope she gets justice. I know I'd never speak to my grandmother again, let alone ever give this asshole of an "uncle" a second more of my time. How can people be so thoughtless and cruel?

I'm assuming the guy has nowhere else to live. He did his time in jail, and now his punishment is over. What else is he supposed to do? No one is going to want to have anything to do with him. His mother should just kick him out and leave him homeless?

Agreed with what others have already said. Put systems in place to house these convicts somewhere or just straight up kill 'em if you don't want them walking around after they've done jail time.

I've never understood why sex offenders are treated so differently from other former convicts.

Why even let them out if they're not rehabilitated?

Not that it would matter in this particular case, but in general with all the rules and restrictions in place for the pretty wide category of "sex offender".

Hyun Sai

You guys seriously can't see why a mother wouldn't want her son to be homeless after he did his time in prison ?

Yes, it's a shitty situation, but I can't blame the mother one bit, unless she's financially rich enough to make him stay somewhere else.

Cut her some slack.

Agreed with what others have already said. Put systems in place to house these convicts somewhere or just straight up kill 'em if you don't want them walking around after they've done jail time.

And this.

Wtf at this whole thing. Plus what the hell is grandma thinking?!

The guy likely has no money, no job, nowhere to stay, and nobody wants anything to do with him. His mother is the only one who will let him sleep there and eat for free. Outside of that the guy would just be homeless. I mean that is still her child and most parents aren't going to let their child go homeless if they can help it.

What a shit grandma. Hopefully the right outcome happens and the uncle is forced to leave. He ruined her childhood and he doesn't need to be a future problem.

Wasn't he charged, convicted and sentenced to some 14 years or so in prison? Isn't that justice?

Its a shitty situation definitely, but the man did his time. If he's still a threat then he shouldn't have been released, but now that he has been he needs to be allowed to live his life.

Loudninja

Wasn't he charged, convicted and sentenced to some 14 years or so in prison? Isn't that justice?

Its a shitty situation definitely, but the man did his time. If he's still a threat then he shouldn't have been released, but now that he has been he needs to be allowed to live his life.
Ah no.Dont care if he did his time he should not be allowed any where near his victims.

Also she is tyring to live her life in peace and he is interfering with that.

FStubbs

I think the restrictions are typically based on locations, like schools. I don't know how it would reasonably work if sex offenders couldn't live within a certain distance from children in general.

Isn't that why in some parts of Florida they live under bridges?

akira28

Sounds like the plot of a thriller where the whole town gangs up to murder the guy.

Thriller? more like 5 minute short? They know where he sleeps every night and she's already keyed up? If he comes a creepin, one scream and his house burns down with him in it.

jph139

I mean, I guess it's better than having an ex-con homeless and desperate, wandering the streets. But I'm definitely surprised that - with all the restrictions that sex offenders have on where they can live - "moving next to victim" isn't prohibited.

There's already a mechanism in law for this (filing a restraining order) but it doesn't hurt to legislate it as well, I suppose. Take a bit of the bureaucratic burden off of victims.

Top Bottom