• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cool Gaming PRINT Art?

Karish

I just moved into my very first apartment (post-college) and I want to get serious with the decorations. One thing I want to do is get some real cool video game art, frame it, and put it around the family room.

So, I am looking for cool video game art in which the artist actually offers prints of their work. NOT desktop wallpaper or anything like that. Thanks!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
if you fancy painted commissions , try www.arcade-art.com

I've had several things commissioned and bought a few pieces - plus most are going to be unique (commissions definitely are) :

http://www.arcade-art.com/galleryshop.html

i bought Bob's Binge, Bub's Banquet, Super Mario Go!, and Robotron - and had a Phoenix, and Scramble pair commissioned, with a Ghosts 'n Goblins and Bubble Bobble commission on the way

REALLY good quality.

Karish

DCharlie said:
if you fancy painted commissions , try www.arcade-art.com

I've had several things commissioned and bought a few pieces - plus most are going to be unique (commissions definitely are) :

http://www.arcade-art.com/galleryshop.html

i bought Bob's Binge, Bub's Banquet, Super Mario Go!, and Robotron - and had a Phoenix, and Scramble pair commissioned, with a Ghosts 'n Goblins and Bubble Bobble commission on the way

REALLY good quality.

A little out of my price range... for now. I definitely plan on eventually getting into more unique stuff like that, but for now I'm looking in the $50 range... so basically prints.

eshock

Thanks for this thread. I was actually just looking for some high-res/poster quality images of the original Ico cover, as well as the Nico special edition DVD cover in the same style. Anybody know if such images exist?

Karish

Anyone have anything like this at their place?

nin_smb4_print_1.jpg

http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore/super-mario-bros

Burger

eshock said:
Thanks for this thread. I was actually just looking for some high-res/poster quality images of the original Ico cover, as well as the Nico special edition DVD cover in the same style. Anybody know if such images exist?

Yeah, I had the ICO cover somewhere... If I can track it down I'll let you know. I printed it out for my desk:

ibJVKI.jpg

Karish

eshock said:

No prob, 'cept there is not as much traffic in this thread as I had hoped

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Blakero said:
Does this exist somewhere?
Oh my bad, I didn't mean to say that. I don't know if it's out there remade. It should be easy to just blow up screenshots tho

If you're a Halo fan, Bungie has functionality built into their site to allow you to buy prints of any screenshot you upload. When I was decorating my place, I went into a saved film of one of the later levels in Halo 3 and used the free camera to take some gorgeous environment shots, then bought a print of my favorite one.

I may have also had some high res concept art for Mass Effect 2 professionally printed...

Speaking of which, is there any way of contacting a developer's PR department in regards to buying specific prints of officially-released screenshots or promo art?

JoeBoy101

GuardianE said:
Wow, this is a fantastic thread topic. I hope this stays alive because I'm looking for pretty much the same thing.

The TakeTwo Store has some prints:
take2store_2136_1760253

http://take2store.stores.yahoo.net/specialoffers.html
I especially like the Masquerade.

I've framed and hung a few posters an items from games in my office. Notably a Mass Effect 1 poster, Map of the Capital Wasteland, Map of the Imperial Province from Oblivion (this looks really nice). That Masquerade one is a definite purchase. Will look great.

Karish

JoeBoy101 said:
I've framed and hung a few posters an items from games in my office. Notably a Mass Effect 1 poster, Map of the Capital Wasteland, Map of the Imperial Province from Oblivion (this looks really nice). That Masquerade one is a definite purchase. Will look great.

Totally getting this masquerade one

Karish

Is there a website I can upload hi-res images to and have them print and ship me the poster? Possibly frame as well...

Gonna stay subscribed to this thread for a while. With any luck, this'll be one of those evergreen threads that make GAF such a great resource. Thanks for starting it Blakero!

I've always wanted to see a full layout of some of the old great sidescrollers, printed in high quality to make some awesome banner wall art. Some of this can be found at www.vgmaps.com, but typically not at the resolutions or degree of completeness that would make for great printable art. For example, I would LOVE to have a more complete version of something like THIS on my wall.

Man, if you'd started this thread in a couple of days' time I'd have had a much better post for you, but here goes. I know you were asking more about game artists than renders, but this might help anyone simply interested in having games on their wall (or desk). I've been gradually refocusing my site (deadendthrills.com) towards this for some time now: breaking the barrier between screenshots and print, which let me tell you is not a simple task.

You can get concept art and specially rendered art prints from various stores, or you can make what Crytek calls 'poster shots' by tiling in certain engines. I'm working on a book, though, which needs a much wider range of games shot at photographic quality. Tiledshots and such can't include a lot of the screen space effects that really gel scenes in Mass Effect and the like together. As a strictly non-profit/charity venture, I'm also considering canvases, prints, etc.

Here's the real hurdle, though: pixel resolution versus print resolution. It's a problem publishers run into constantly because print favours (demands) something in the region of 300dpi quality to produce anything like the sharpness and detail you see on screen. Screenshots are almost invariably the equivalent of 72dpi, and even a 1080p shot will get you little more than a postcard. So, I've tweaked my monitor driver to think its native resolution is 2160p (3840x2160) and now run my games at that resolution with moderate antialiasing. And I've run some tests with a local photographer whose clients include Aston Martin, the MOD... I've no idea what use that information is.

Anyway, the size I'm planning for the book is A4 dimensions for the shots with a slight margin, and the quality level has to be perfect. They have to look better as a collection than anything seen in print before, and at risk of sounding completely arrogant they're pretty damn close. These aren't tiledshots, either, but simple Fraps grabs brightened in Photoshop. The next test will be to see how much dpi I can sacrifice as the size increases, and how that compares to the average poster which tends to have a low dpi anyway. Tiledshots can, of course, be rendered at whatever pixel resolution you want. There's also the question of materials, and it'll be interesting to see how the 2160p Okami canvases come out.

Like I said, though, I'm right in the middle of sorting that stuff out so this is a little premature, but it seemed relevant enough to post. While the print stuff's going on in background, my site's going to be hosting daily image updates with download options for 1080p (which will be downsampled from 2160p for perfect IQ and geared for wallpapers) and the original 2160p (or in some cases higher) in case you want to try making your own prints. If you do, though, I can't stress enough the importance of paper and printer. Take them down to your local print shop and ask for the satin photographic paper or the equivalent; don't settle for 'gloss' or anything like that as it's the stuff they use in their photocopiers.

To give you an impression, these aren't exactly the stunning compositions I had in mind but they're what I've been testing with. Click the thumbnails (pretty big thumbnails, mind) for the 2160p versions:

Burger

TheOctagon said:
Here's the real hurdle, though: pixel resolution versus print resolution. It's a problem publishers run into constantly because print favours (demands) something in the region of 300dpi quality to produce anything like the sharpness and detail you see on screen. Screenshots are almost invariably the equivalent of 72dpi, and even a 1080p shot will get you little more than a postcard. So, I've tweaked my monitor driver to think its native resolution is 2160p (3840x2160) and now run my games at that resolution with moderate antialiasing. And I've run some tests with a local photographer whose clients include Aston Martin, the MOD... I've no idea what use that information is.

Keep in mind this isn't always the case. For a photograph? Sure, an A4 glossy print? Maybe... But for a poster that's hanging up in your lounge you can get away with far far less.

If you absolutely must use a screenshot or similar size, then clever amounts of upsampling, sharpening, bluring, and more upsampling with some noise and more blur can work wonders to introduce detail into an image.

The PPI (DPI is only for printers) your image needs to be is only relevant to how close your image will be viewed. For instance, the big road/building side billboards are printed in the region of 30-50 dpi yet they look fine. It's all relative.

joelseph

I have the L4D1 Movie posters framed in my living room and they look great. Also have the Bioshock 1 Masquerade framed but everyone has that! ;)

I suggest commissioning custom pieces or perusing the Renegade Art type Etsy festivals that pop up around you.

Burger said:
Keep in mind this isn't always the case. For a photograph? Sure, an A4 glossy print? Maybe... But for a poster that's hanging up in your lounge you can get away with far far less.

If you absolutely must use a screenshot or similar size, then clever amounts of upsampling, sharpening, bluring, and more upsampling with some noise and more blur can work wonders to introduce detail into an image.

The PPI (DPI is only for printers) your image needs to be is only relevant to how close your image will be viewed. For instance, the big road/building side billboards are printed in the region of 30-50 dpi yet they look fine. It's all relative.

All very true.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whimsical Phil said:
Telltale Games sells some prints at their site. I have the Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max Surfing the Highway pieces hanging up.
I've been trying to find original Lucasarts stuff for a while but it's pretty rare. I did manage to snag an original purcell lechuck commissioned one though

Karish

?

If anyone knows how I can take a hi-res image and print it off in poster quality for relatively cheap that would be great!

Desi

Lot of them look great including the expected entries (Ico, etc) surprised by the journey one. very nice. I probably do one featuring images from Prince of Persi 2008.

i'd be satisfied with hi-res, large-dimension images of posters and art. i *have access to* a plotter that i can print posters out on so it's relatively simple. especially when i can buy cheap frames ahead of time and make sure the printed image fits.

can anyone send me in the right direction? a lot of these in this thread aren't available for purchase anymore. (like the minimalistic pieces)

i remember a thread awhile back where people were framing SotC art and I meant to subscribe to the thread but didn't and have tried several times to search for it and can't find it :(

This one is from Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, which I'm pretty sure no one but me even liked, but it's a nice piece of art that's free of logos and would be nice for any Indy fan.

Edit: Yeah it's just a jpg, but it looks like some of you have ways to print them in high quality.

Kyleripman said:
This one is from Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, which I'm pretty sure no one but me even liked, but it's a nice piece of art that's free of logos and would be nice for any Indy fan.

i should have also mentioned that it's hard to find images/posters in hi-res AAAAAAAAAAAND without logos and text all over them. i can't stand that, and i'm not quite skilled enough in PS to remove that sort of thing.

Speevy

Banned
I'd just about kill someone for a Little Nemo: The Dream Master artwork, but I don't even think such art exists.

Most I could get is either the movie poster or the comic strip.

I'd settle for the box art, honestly. Would pay good money for something like that.

Top Bottom