• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop:'You'd be first one I'd shoot' and ‘go all Black Lives Matter on us are you?"

Slayven

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/13/policeman-filmed-black-man-coventry-shoot

A West Midlands police officer has been removed from frontline duties after he was filmed telling a black man: “You’d be the first one I’d shoot if I had a gun.”

The video, which was posted on Facebook, also showed the officer asking the man if he was “going to go Black Lives Matter” on the patrol team.

West Midlands police said its professional standards department had opened an investigation into the incident, which took place during a search of a premises in Coventry on 24 August.

The force said it had received an official complaint and referred the matter to the police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

The assistant chief constable Alex Murray said: “What was said was not right and the officer has been removed from frontline duties pending further assessment. The officer has already expressed remorse and is very apologetic over his comments.

“We expect the highest standards of behaviour from all our officers and staff, and we will always take complaints from members of the public seriously.”

The footage starts by showing officers talking to a man, named locally as Jack Chambers, 24, who is sitting down and smoking.

The fucking cackling when as they laugh over causal threats of murder

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=FJIewIKW-DE

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How dare that thug threaten an officer by aggressively reminding him that black lives aren't disposable and cheap.

The apology is so much horseshit I can smell it through my phone screen. How can you be so stupid to say that, in your position, it just say "It's a joke bro."

One of these days people will remove the video from cops threatening people and create a ghoulish game show where the audience has to tell the difference between a cop and a stick-up man from the audio alone.

Sulik2

Having an Independent Police Complaints Commission sounds like an incredible idea. Lets get one of these in the USA. Plus it would create a huge amount of jobs to staff up for the number of complaints in the USA.

Zubz

Banned
One of these days people will remove the video from cops threatening people and create a ghoulish game show where the audience has to tell the difference between a cop and a stick-up man from the audio alone.

They absolutely sound remorseless; you might hear some hesitation in the stick-up person's voice. It'd be too easy, but I hope that game spreads like wildfire.

rpmurphy

Having high standards isn't dating any random bloke and dumping him when you catch him threatening to kill your dad.

cameron

The assistant chief constable Alex Murray said: “What was said was not right and the officer has been removed from frontline duties pending further assessment. The officer has already expressed remorse and is very apologetic over his comments.

azTZ2z4.gif

The twitter account for the "Independent Police Complaints Commission" has the results of previous investigations: https://twitter.com/IPCCNews

facelike

Thought he was being funny but it's really not something to joke about. Why bring race into it?

If two men are standing next to each other, they should be considered two men. But it is not that way. White is considered "normal" and everyone else is something else. Not a man who is black but a black man, a Muslim, a Jew, a Mexican man, etc. It's obvious that's the lenses many racits fucks use to see with. It dehumanizes people and makes us easier to "deal" with.

I still cring when I hear things like "real Americans" (insert any country). Like if you don't physical fit the mold, you're something else. This is only amplified with terms like African American, Jewish American, Mexican American, etc. In all of these, we're something different. It used to be this way with French American, Irish American or Italian American but now they have all assimilated into white. It's has literally become about race as that's the easiest thing to notice.

Sorry about that, rant over. Fire this cop, but we know what will really happen.

This is UK. Europeans can't be racist and Americans shouldn't project their race issues on to other countries.

That's the thing. We ain't welcome nowhere on the fucking globe. Europeans pat themselves on the back by saying "Sure we treat our Black people like sub human dogshit but we don't kill em like you Americans do therefore it's fine!"

But that disdain is there all the same.

The only thing Police will learn from this?

Make sure the persons are searched and confiscate any phones when they're talking to them. No recording then it didn't happen.

Wouldn't be surprised if a law is introduced that makes it illegal to record your own interactions with the Police.

darscot

The cops are being polite and cordial. It was clearly sarcasm and not a threat in any way. That is how I took it anyway. Maybe it was in bad taste but I don't think anything more than an apology and verbal reprimand is required here. Is the guy even black?

collige

Banned
The only thing Police will learn from this?

Make sure the persons are searched and confiscate any phones when they're talking to them. No recording then it didn't happen.

Wouldn't be surprised if a law is introduced that makes it illegal to record your own interactions with the Police.
I believe a couple states already tried that. Filming is constitutionally protected, thankfully.

Slayven

The cops are being polite and cordial. It was clearly sarcasm and not a threat in any way. That is how I took it anyway. Maybe it was in bad taste but I don't think anything more than an apology and verbal reprimand is required here. Is the guy even black?

Why should that matter?

That's the thing. We ain't welcome nowhere on the fucking globe. Europeans pat themselves on the back by saying "Sure we treat our Black people like sub human dogshit but we don't kill em like you Americans do therefore it's fine!"

But that disdain is there all the same.

"We were the first to abolish slavery" is another one that I hear used by whites in the UK to pretend that the country isn't still deeply racist in many areas.

darscot

Why should that matter?

I think it makes it very obvious it was a joke. Unarmed Police in the UK asking a white guy if he is going to go BLM on us. If this isn't sarcasm I don't know what is. The article says he was black, I was just looking at his hands and he appeared fair skinned.

Slayven

I think it makes it very obvious it was a joke. Unarmed Police in the UK telling asking a white guy if he is going to go BLM on us. If this isnt sarcasm I don't know what is.
So causal racism between white people is ok?
They were not openers at the chuckle hut, they were police officers. Some shit you can't and shouldn't joke about on the job

darscot

Nah he should be fired, the fact he knew he was being filmed and still said that shows he is unfit for the job

Ah internet rage, fire everyone at the smallest mistake. None of us would have a job if the internet had its way. Plenty of real police incidents to get fired up about. This is not one of them.

Slayven

Ah internet rage, fire everyone at the smallest mistake. None of us would have a job if the internet had its way. Plenty of real police incidents to get fired up about. This is not one of them.

So you can't defend your arguement. Thanks for clearing that up

darscot

Weird. At my job if I threatened to murder a client, I'd be fired.

Why are the standards of LEOs lower?

He does not have a gun. That is the whole point. How can you threaten to shoot someone when you have no access to a gun. If he had a magic wand he would turn him into a toad is about as threatening. This does not take place in the United States, context is key. The guy is chillin on his coach casually having a smoke, I think he will recover from the trauma.

He does not have a gun. That is the whole point. How can you threaten to shoot someone when you have no access to a gun. If he had a magic wand he would turn him into a toad is about as threatening. This does not take place in the United States, context is key.

Racism is okay if you don't have a weapon. Telling someone if you had the ability to blow their brains out and not having a weapon is a okay!

Sometimes I wonder if people think being a LEO is like working at McDonalds or some shit.

"If I had a gun you'd be the first one I shoot"

Why would you say that to anyone?

Slayven

He does not have a gun. That is the whole point. How can you threaten to shoot someone when you have no access to a gun. If he had a magic wand he would turn him into a toad is about as threatening. This does not take place in the United States, context is key. The guy is chillin on his coach casually having a smoke, I think he will recover from the trauma.

Threatening to assualt someone isn't big deal as long as they don't have a gun on them.

No wonder LEO get away with murder, people welling to allow them to.

Top Bottom