• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My department calls the paramedics anytime someone asks for them even if the injury appears made up. Most of the time it is because they would rather spend time in a hospital than a cell for the night.

Likely because this is a prison with professional medical staff including doctors, psychiatrists, nurses. All who would have made the ultimate decision to not seek more medical help. The officers would have only been able to refer him to the on site medical staff who rejected any treatment. But the OP and many posts are fuck the police" regardless of this. Not surprising.

Please explain further how the cops involved have no cuplability. I don't quite get your logic.

23qwerty

I didn't say that law enforcement officers didn't make mistakes here, just pointing out the clear bias present when the ultimate decision that lead to death here made made by medical staff. What's disgusting to me is how this entire thread is mostly about how bad the police fucked up when it was really a decision made by medical staff. Not even to mention correctional officers aren't police but that goes to show how ignorant many posts in here are.

same shit, different pile

Ive seen the video, everyone at this facility comes off looking like shit.

The corrections officers:
-Placed a cup of water just outside the victims reach and left it there for days
-Threw containers of food at him
-Threw him off a gurney and doused him with a cold shower

There is no "but it was the medical staff, not us" here. And fuck anyone who says they were "just following orders."

Aselith

I didn't say that law enforcement officers didn't make mistakes here, just pointing out the clear bias present when the ultimate decision that lead to death here made made by medical staff. What's disgusting to me is how this entire thread is mostly about how bad the police fucked up when it was really a decision made by medical staff. Not even to mention correctional officers aren't police but that goes to show how ignorant many posts in here are.

I think where this logic falls apart is where they are treating him like an animal (frankly less than an animal because this shit would also not fly for an animal) and throwing food at him and things like that. If they were doing their jobs and referring to medical staff, I don't think it's their fault that his medical issues weren't treated but why not just treat him like a paralyzed prisoner instead of tossing him in a shower face down and throwing food at him while you mock him?

I mean in the end, he's still a person in their care so they need to figure out how to make the situation work if he is "acting" paralyzed for weeks at a time.

My department calls the paramedics anytime someone asks for them even if the injury appears made up. Most of the time it is because they would rather spend time in a hospital than a cell for the night.

Likely because this is a prison with professional medical staff including doctors, psychiatrists, nurses. All who would have made the ultimate decision to not seek more medical help. The officers would have only been able to refer him to the on site medical staff who rejected any treatment. But the OP and many posts are fuck the police" regardless of this. Not surprising.
So you don't think the police could have done more (as in, absolutely anything) to help the man in their care?

I mean, they treated him like an animal and ridiculed him when he was obviously injured. I'd say "fuck the police" is a pretty muted response to the content of the article/video.

The police did fuck up since they're the ones that broke his neck in the first place:

When Williams arrived to the county jail’s booking area in the early morning of Oct. 22, Owasso officer Jack Wells slammed him to the floor while trying to handcuff him, according to the cop’s own interview with OSBI. Officer Wells told OSBI he “landed on top of Elliott’s shoulder and head,” but that the prisoner “appeared to be fine with no injuries.”
Still, the Tulsa sheriff office’s appeared to disagree. In an internal report, the sheriff’s department says Williams struggled after the fall, and that his condition was captured on booking cameras. “At this time it is obvious that Williams is having a difficult time standing,” the document stated.

And while you might be eager to chastise people in this topic for criticizing officers, the sheriff in question isn't even game to let the officers off the hook just because a second party was also involved:

Sheriff Glanz himself later testified that his investigators, after watching surveillance video, were concerned Williams had broken his neck. Glanz added that he saw the footage, too, and shared their worry. “After viewing it, I think that the—the officers probably could have done more as well as medical to provide for his care,” Glanz said in a May 2013 deposition.

krazen

So you don't think the police could have done more (as in, absolutely anything) to help the man in their care?

I mean, they treated him like an animal and ridiculed him when he was obviously injured. I'd say "fuck the police" is a pretty muted response to the content of the article/video.

But that's the thing though. It's always a through clinical response when these things happen partially because of the legal implication, partially because they are just seen as things and not human beings. Minx assertation of 'NOT OUR JOBS' would work fine when it comes to guys arguing over who's gonna clean the grill in the kitchen, or bureaucracy at the DMV.

But when someone's crying for days just to be like, 'NOT OUR JOBS' and treat him like shit kinda makes you wonder the disconnect.

ESPECIALLY since he can't understand why people are like, "Fuck cops" in the thread, lol.

minx

Please explain further how the cops involved have no cuplability. I don't quite get your logic.

Please show me where I said they have no culpability.

same shit, different pile

Very insightful.

I think where this logic falls apart is where they are treating him like an animal (frankly less than an animal because this shit would also not fly for an animal) and throwing food at him and things like that. If they were doing their jobs and referring to medical staff, I don't think it's their fault that his medical issues weren't treated but why not just treat him like a paralyzed prisoner instead of tossing him in a shower face down and throwing food at him while you mock him?

I mean in the end, he's still a person in their care so they need to figure out how to make the situation work if he is "acting" paralyzed for weeks at a time.

Oh yes they definitely acted in an unprofessional matter with the shower incident and his overall treatment and I would never treat an inmate like that nor have I ever. Like I said many horrible decisions were made and he should have been treated better by all.

My main point is I think the medical staff is to be blamed most, yet that is clearly not reflected in the OP or the posts. I guess it's more fun to hate the police than doctors.

akira28

regimental, compartmentalized mind. liability as an object, a literal shield. and no real expectation to think beyond it. "The medical staff is liable, not me. I just work here, and the foul treatment is just gravy I contribute to the pile of sadness. "

Well someone's shit has been well trained and screwed on tight.

23qwerty

Very insightful.
Thank you.

My main point is I think the medical staff is to be blamed most, yet that is clearly not reflected in the OP or the posts. I guess it's more fun to hate the police than doctors.
I'm sure you would think that. Personally it looks like a fairly even split of blame IMO, and of course it's "more fun" to hate cops for very obvious reasons.

Very insightful.

Oh yes they definitely acted in an unprofessional matter with the shower incident and his overall treatment and I would never treat an inmate like that nor have I ever. Like I said many horrible decisions were made and he should have been treated better by all.

What a pointless concern to have. You're essentially complaining that people aren't giving enough guff to the hypothetical gunman because they're too focused on the person who gave the hypothetical gun to them and gleefully watched as it happened.

dpunk3

Are we gonna get any kind of termination of the officers and mental health worker who sat back and let this happen?

No?

Didn't think so.

Fuck everything.

Krejlooc

Banned

Very insightful.

Remember when you said "mistakes happen"?

I'm watching one happen as you post ITT.

This is complete bs did you by chance read the entire article? If you did you would have noticed this police department and the jail are complete awful. The people who work their lack any empathy and are cartoonishly evil. Before the sheriff of Tusla resigned last September he had 8 active lawsuits against him. This also happens to be the police department that let the "reserve officer" in on a sting and he ended up killing someone.

Sojgat

So a guy hasn't moved at all for a week, and he's screaming for help that he can't move, and the cops are throwing him face first into a shower and leaving him there, and throwing food at him, and laughing at him, and they only realized something might really be wrong when he dies... after a week of this, but it's disgusting to you that people in this thread think the police fucked up?

Think you might be the one with the bias here.

minx

Remember when you said "mistakes happen"?

I'm watching one happen as you post ITT.
I said they made mistake but in you want to make a mound out of a molehill go ahead. Yes, there was some disgusting behavior done by many involved in the prison.

This is complete bs did you by chance read the entire article? If you did you would have noticed this police department and the jail are complete awful. The people who work their lack any empathy and are cartoonishly evil. Before the sheriff of Tusla resigned last September he had 8 active lawsuits against him.

I'm I came across as defending the actions of the law enforcement personal then I apparently didn't portray my thoughts correctly. Like I stated before, my main point was how much attention and shit posting on police were being made when the ultimate decisions made here to lead to death were caused by medical staff.

Krejlooc

Banned
If cops take umbrage to the notion that "fuck the police" unfairly treats all cops as a homogeneous group, perhaps they should avoid blindly rushing into topics to white knight crooked cops. Because coming in to say "not all cops" because you are getting upset that people are slamming cops that fucked up big time like they are personal insults is at odds with the point you're trying to get across.

you want to make a mound out of a molehill go ahead.

wow.

PopeReal

Minx always jumps in these threads to defend cops. They keep killing and all he can spout is the same old tired "not all cops" bullshit.

Imagine if he actually wanted things to change.

- J - D -

I said they made mistake but in you want to make a mound out of a molehill go ahead. Yes, there was some disgusting behavior done by many involved in the prison.

I'm I came across as defending the actions of the law enforcement personal then I apparently didn't portray my thoughts correctly. Like I stated before, my main point was how much attention and shit posting on police were being made when the ultimate decisions made here to lead to death were caused by medical staff.

You picked the wrong mound to die on.

le.phat

Cause of death was a broken fucking neck dude.

kvothe

So... I watched a bit of the video... And he moves his arms a bit in the footage. I thought with spinal cord injuries it was all or nothing? Not just partial paralysis? Or are his arms moving involuntarily?

FyreWulff

So... I watched a bit of the video... And he moves his arms a bit in the footage. I thought with spinal cord injuries it was all or nothing? Not just partial paralysis? Or are his arms moving involuntarily?

no, it depends on where the exact injury is at along the spinal cord, and you can for example lose the ability to move your fingers but can still generally move your arms

http://www.spinalinjury101.org/details/levels-of-injury

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fucking hell...how does that even happen. Not ONE person thought to check him out?

Someone did but they weren't allowed access.

YN12

Banned
WTH USA, these kind of news are becoming routine.

Whenever I check the off-topic forum there's something about black people dying in the most horrifying ways. I am now wondering if these kind of things happen in other countries but simply get reported as 'accidents'.

Malyse

Whenever I check the off-topic forum there's something about black people dying in the most horrifying ways. I am now wondering if these kind of things happen in other countries but simply get reported as 'accidents'.
This is the part where I remind you that this is the best minorities have been treated in the history of this country.

This is the part where I remind you that this is the best minorities have been treated in the history of this country.

Which is different from the other kind of reminding, where some people say that as though it's a stellar achievement and black peoples should be happy

Yeah, it's become routine, but imagine how bad it was before more of a spotlight was placed on law enforcement, before social media and everyone having a camera, more enlightened country(allegedly) etc... It only gets more depressing when you think about it.

I hold no fault with any minority that doesn't trust police.

My opinion is in line with this. Trust is something earned, not something someone is entitled to. Every officer in every town or city should do their best, and make it a priority to earn the trust of the citizens in their respective areas, and beyond.

Don't take the distrust personally, cops (or those close to them). There've been so many instances of violence by officers against minorities that distrust is warranted. Just be cool, do the right thing, stand with local and national groups advocating for change, and then be that change on the job.

rjinaz

Just once I'd like to see a police officer on GAF say "Everybody involved here is absolutely disgusting and they should all be fired. They make all of us look bad".

You'll notice it doesn't reflect negatively on them personally, it's just stating the obvious really. And yet they won't. They have to defend all other police officers at all cost. It's embedded. It also explains why we have the many issues with the police institution that we do.

I know a lot of officers and of course no one posted anything about this. I just can't believe that someone could have so much disregard for some one like this, and the reasoning behind it being (well criminals fake all the time!!!) is even more depressing, because it sets the stage for a profession that is supposed to be all about following the law, ending up cutting corners, masking their prejudice and treating their subjects as expendable.

Not really shocked. This is how the cops treat Black folk in America. This is Wednesday.
I thought this incident would shine a lightray on the conservative narrative that this stuff doesnt happen or that it's not a systemic issue....but it seems that they acknowledge the horror while vehemently denying it feeds into any kind of broader racial narrative.
What a fool I was to think this would change any opinions.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Absolutely atrocious. Has there been any word as to how his neck was broken? My first assumption is that the cops broke his neck and are simply taunting him on top of that but I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom