• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You wonder how shit like this happens and then a person comes in exemplifying exactly how shit like this happens. Deeply disturbing doesn't even begin to describe this.

Not really shocked. This is how the cops treat Black folk in America. This is Wednesday.

Exactly. For the cops and medical personnel in this case, no human was involved. Just a black guy with a broken neck. "Protect and Serve," "Do no harm," sure. For actual humans.

The thoughts I'm thinking towards the people whose actions allowed this man to die are not appropriate for public discussion. But this is what lies beneath. A fetid, corrupt foundation of a system people want us to believe will change with just some superficial modifications.

PopeReal

The push back against BLM by so many Americans was even harsher than I expected. The apathy around here in the small towns of eastern Oregon wasn't a surprise, but the way the ignorant turned it into some kind of joke or dirty word was infuriating. There were even a couple times I had to hold my tongue after something someone said as I was working. If all the plans come together and I own the business later this year, that will change.

Anyway I don't know how black Americans deal with all of this. To see people blatantly show that they don't care.... yeah I got nothing.

I don't understand how is this not plastered all over the news? This is beyond anything I've seen yet. I can barely even find coverage of this.

E92 M3

I read this yesterday along with the article about the step mom that burned (with boiling water) a little boy to death in a tub. Dreadfully sad and I still can't cleanse my mind.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Absolutely atrocious. Has there been any word as to how his neck was broken? My first assumption is that the cops broke his neck and are simply taunting him on top of that but I hope I'm wrong.

Read the article again.

Spoiler: You're not wrong.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Absolutely atrocious. Has there been any word as to how his neck was broken? My first assumption is that the cops broke his neck and are simply taunting him on top of that but I hope I'm wrong.
Read the article again.

Spoiler: You're not wrong.

Honestly, the only articles I've read that even attempt to make this claim are the ones written about this event from this week.

Even in the lawsuits that his estate filed, they refer to the head and neck injuries as "self injurious behavior" caused by his "repeatedly slamming his head against the cell door and walls with great force"

The story is awful enough as is. Maybe he did it to himself, maybe he didn't. At this point we will probably never know one way or the other.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Honestly, the only articles I've read that even attempt to make this claim are the ones written about this event from this week.

Even in the lawsuits that his estate filed, they refer to the head and neck injuries as "self injurious behavior" caused by his "repeatedly slamming his head against the cell door and walls with great force"

The story is awful enough as is. Maybe he did it to himself, maybe he didn't. At this point we will probably never know one way or the other.

Except that he only stopped moving and started complaining that he was paralysed AFTER they decided to try to separate his head from his body by force.

qazqaNii

One of the creepiest shit I have ever seen, man humans can be so cruel sometimes, just fucking take him to the hospital, doesn't matter if he is acting or not. The cup part was so fucking depressing.

Krejlooc

Banned
Just once I'd like to see a police officer on GAF say "Everybody involved here is absolutely disgusting and they should all be fired. They make all of us look bad".

You'll notice it doesn't reflect negatively on them personally, it's just stating the obvious really. And yet they won't. They have to defend all other police officers at all cost. It's embedded. It also explains why we have the many issues with the police institution that we do.

It's ironic that "not all cops" is used almost exclusively in a "if you speak bad against one cop, you speak bad against all cops" fashion.

Enzom21

Guess we need to replace this one too
He'll probably be back with his same tired bullshit.
Just once I'd like to see a police officer on GAF say "Everybody involved here is absolutely disgusting and they should all be fired." They make all of us look bad".

You'll notice it doesn't reflect negatively on them personally, it's just stating the obvious really. And yet they won't. They have to defend all other police officers at all cost. It's embedded. It also explains why we have the many issues with the police institution that we do.

I have only seen one rational cop on GAF and it most certainly isn't "Black people are more violent so I will more than likely use deadly force when I encounter them." minx.

His treatment was abhorrent, that goes without saying, but there are so many instances of inhumanity in this one event that I, again, am left speechless. The outright refusal to let family check on him, lying about his condition, etc..

I'll admit to becoming desensitized to so much of this, but this is one of the most disgusting acts I've seen in a while.

How are there people working in these fields?

Scum like the mental health workers and certain cops/correctional officers who left a man out to die should be banned from ever having a job like that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's ironic that "not all cops" is used almost exclusively in a "if you speak bad against one cop, you speak bad against all cops" fashion.

I don't think all cops would engage in this activity. However, cases like this make it clear that all cops will help cover it up. Won't report things, lie on reports, etc. The thin blue line thing is disgusting.

I don't think all cops would engage in this activity. However, cases like this make it clear that all cops will help cover it up. Won't report things, lie on reports, etc. The thin blue line thing is disgusting.
Yep, this. This is what people mean by "silence is violence." It enables the perpetuation of this behavior forever. Everything needs a check.

Retrocide

I feel so bad for his family, trying to check in him as he died treated worse than an animal. Every time I see this thread my heart sinks, both as a black man and a Veteran. I'm so sick of this...

Krejlooc

Banned

The thing is, nobody in this topic is trying to claim that all cops act like this. In fact, the vast majority of the "fuck the police" rhetoric in this thread is laser focused on these people specifically. Which makes coming in with "not all cops" all the sillier - of course not all cops will torture a man to death. Nobody was saying that's normal among cops.

Maxim726X

That was hard to read, and even more difficult to watch.

I don't even know what to say. To say that I feel disgusted isn't quite doing it justice.

Exactly. You want to start repairing the broken relationship between police and black citizens? Don't cover for these fucking assholes. No one is saying that cops don't have a dangerous, important job... No one is saying that they're all racist pigs. However, the issue is that the institution protects scum like this.

I didn't think America could make my stomach turn any more than it has previously but wow.....

The worst part is that America is fine with this.

America does not care.

For all the hard asses with their guns posting their bulls hit on Facebook all day every day about how they're ready to fight against government wrongdoing, the streets are pretty damn empty for the amount of government atrocities committed daily.

Seriously, the police broke a man's neck, left him under a shower while paralysed and left him to starve, piss and shit him self for days, while he cried for help, for days. TILL HE DIED.

The reaction? "My bad". Literally.

And America doesn't care.

That makes America a preeeeeeeeeeetty fucked up place.

I didn't think America could make my stomach turn any more than it has previously but wow.....

The worst part is that America is fine with this.

America does not care.

For all the hard asses with their guns posting their bulls hit on Facebook all day every day about how they're ready to fight against government wrongdoing, the streets are pretty damn empty for the amount of government atrocities committed daily.

Seriously, the police broke a man's neck, left him under a shower while paralysed and left him to starve, piss and shit him self for days, while he cried for help, for days. TILL HE DIED.

The reaction? "My bad". Literally.

And America doesn't care.

That makes America a preeeeeeeeeeetty fucked up place.

Hyperbolic much? First, this happened five years ago. As to why it didn't get more coverage I'm as frustrated and angry as you are. Second there's absolutely nothing in the article that claims the police broke his neck. It's a fucking disgusting atrocity and the people responsible should be be punished . But making blanket statements about America being OK with this as a whole is pretty silly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This sounds similar to the "scared straight" camp deaths. They're mind warpingly horrific. So what if they might be faking it. No one is going to sue you for showing concern for a human being in distress.

I can't believe that by day 4 of laying on the floor, no one thought he might not 'just be faking'.
That's some really dumb shit..

Doesn't hurt anyone to let him go to the doctor. People not caring about others, caring about some job or protocols more is ridiculous. Just absolutely. Really need to fire more and more of them to send a message to have a heart... It's sad how many of them get to stay and keep jobs.

I'd ask for jail time but obviously wouldn't get that.

Speaking for millions there eh grizzled, maybe shouldn't do that. Not too good, nor logical.

Sorry to bust your bubble, there are good caring American cops out there as well.

These people need to go to jail, all involved. Disgusting behaviour, honestly even if they go to jail its still not enough. I hope they get whats coming, they dont deserve to live anymore as far as i feel. Bloody animals.

televator

All those cops belong in prison. However, our law enforcement system allows them to freely murder, torture, and rob people. The police uniform is now the uniform of crooks and thugs. The uniform of America's largest gang.

Herbs

Banned

Doesn't hurt anyone to let him go to the doctor. People not caring about others, caring about some job or protocols more is ridiculous. Just absolutely. Really need to fire more and more of them to send a message to have a heart... It's sad how many of them get to stay and keep jobs.

Speaking for millions there eh grizzled, maybe shouldn't do that. Not too good, nor logical.

Sorry to bust your bubble, there are good caring American cops out there as well.

LOL, we haven't had a good #notallcops post in a while.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched the video. Both saddening and disgust how this man is/was treated. Death is too good for everyone involved.

Hold these fucking pigs accountable already. It is getting ridiculous that they keep getting away with it. In the article it mentions 12 lawsuits against Tusla County. Smh.

Malyse

Trying to catch a fade?

Enzom21

Grizzleboy is quite correct, America as a whole doesn't give a shit, especially when the victim of police brutality is black.
Let's not forget the study where white people are more likely to support the criminal justice system, including the death penalty, when they think it’s disproportionately punitive toward black people.

"Good caring" cops don't do a good goddamn thing about all the bad cops, do they? You can't be a good cop if you defend, allow or ignore the bad cops to continue doing what they do.
There are no good cops.

DedValve

Banned
Boban Janković put himself in a wheelchair after head butting a padded basketball post. Couldn't walk for the rest of his life.

===

It's sad that someone's life comes to an end due to negligence from law enforcement. Looks like a doctor also said that he needs or may need medical attention, and that was also ignored.

This wasn't negligence it was a planned and slow murder. Cruel and evil in every sense.

The law enforcement didn't fail. They actively went out against their duty to destroy and murder for their own sick, evil, disgusting needs.

Grizzleboy is quite correct, America as a whole doesn't give a shit, especially when the victim of police brutality is black.
Let's not forget the study where white people are more likely to support the criminal justice system, including the death penalty, when they think it’s disproportionately punitive toward black people.

"Good caring" cops don't do a good goddamn thing about all the bad cops, do they? You can't be a good cop if you defend, allow or ignore the bad cops to continue doing what they do.
There are no good cops.
Years later I still remember reading that article as the moment I lost faith in humanity ;_;

I thought this incident would shine a lightray on the conservative narrative that this stuff doesnt happen or that it's not a systemic issue....but it seems that they acknowledge the horror while vehemently denying it feeds into any kind of broader racial narrative.

Pretty much, they will ignore anything that suggests a broader issue and treat everything as isolated incidents. No such thing as institutional racism, no systematic profiling, no such thing a white priviledge etc. Nothing that would suggest blacks don't get the short end of the stick in society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom