• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cord Cutting |OT| Now With 50% More Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep

K5t1JPP.jpg

Over the Air (OTA)
A3nxlXR.png

Most people in cities can access the major networks for free, and in better quality than most cable/satellite providers. These include, but are not limited to: Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, CW, Univision, and Telemundo. All you need is an antenna. To find out which channels you're likely to receive and how strong of an antenna you'll need, check out TVFool.

Major Streaming Services
rM8Stsv.png

• Netflix ($7.99 SD, $9.99 HD, $11.99 4K)
    Offers movies and TV. By far the most original content of all the services. House of Cards, Daredevil, Orange is the New Black, Bojack Horseman, Marco Polo, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Voltron, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc.
  • Hulu ($7.99, $11.99 commercial-free)
    Offers movies and TV. Current seasons of TV shows for Fox, NBC, ABC, Comedy Central and others. Expanded movie selection from EPIX. Can add Showtime for a monthly fee.
  • Amazon ($99/year or $10.99/mo with Prime, or $8.99/mo standalone)
    Offers movies and TV. A handful of original shows mixed with exclusive content from HBO, USA, and others. Expanded movie selection from EPIX. Can add additional premium channels such as Starz and Showtime for a monthly fee.
Other Streaming Services

• HBO Now ($14.99)
    HBO's standalone offering. Features Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Veep, Ballers, Animals, etc. Newer movies offered in addition to catalog movie/show selection.
  • Crunchyroll (Free 480p with ads, $6.95 HD)
    Anime and Japanese Drama service. Simulcasts of shows currently airing in Japan as well as catalog titles.
  • Funimation (Free, $4.99, $7.99 Details)
    Anime simulcasts and Funimation catalog titles.
  • Crackle (Free)
    Sony's streaming service. Features catalog movies and TV shows with commercials.
  • TubiTV (Free)
    Independent streaming service with rights to Paramount properties.
  • CBSN (Free)
    CBS 24 hour news network.
  • PBS (Free)
    Access to current and catalog PBS shows and documentaries.
  • YouTube (Free, $9.99 YouTube Red - commercial free)
    Subscription to Red also includes Google Play Music All-Access (Spotify/Apple Music style service).
  • WatchESPN (Requires cable login)
    ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPNews, SEC Network, and Longhorn Network programming (depending on your subscription). Available with Sling Orange and Vue subscriptions.
  • CBS All-Access ($5.99)
    Current airing CBS shows, exclusive shows such as the new Star Trek, and live streaming of your local CBS station.
  • Shudder ($4.99/mo, $49.99/yr)
    Horror streaming service with live channel.
  • MLB.tv ($109.99, varying prices throughout the season)
    Does not include your local market team(s). Usually run a Father's Day special for $49.99 every year.
  • NBA League Pass ($199.99 all teams, $119.99 single team)
    Does not include local market team(s). Does not include national or playoff games.
  • NHL.tv ($159)
    Does not include local market team(s). Does not include national or playoff games.

Cable Replacements
2CrpQXo.png

Comparison of Services

• Sling TV ($20 Orange, $25 Blue, $40 Orange+Blue)
    -Orange package consists of Disney/ABC channels, Turner networks, and Scripps networks. Highlights include ESPN, ESPN2, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, TBS, TNT, and AMC.
    -Blue package consists of Fox/Universal channels, Turner networks, and Scripps networks. Highlights include regional FS1/2, Fox Sports/Comcast Sports (check listings), Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, TBS, TNT, USA, Syfy, AMC, NBCSN, and FX.
    -Both packages have available add-on channels. Check spreadsheet for details.
    -ABC/Disney channels are limited to 1 device at a time.
  • PSVue ($34.99*, $44.99*,$54.99*)
    More similar to cable. Multiple devices, cloud DVR functionality, more channels than Sling. Prices above are special offer and for markets with local channels included. For markets without local channels, prices are $5 cheaper currently.
  • USTVNow (Free major networks, $29 for limited cable channels)
    Service for those residing outside of the United States who want cable channels.
  • DirecTV Now (prices vary)
    The most similar to cable. Does not currently have DVR capability and limited to certain devices. Large on-demand catalog and traditional guide interface.
  • Hulu Live ($39.99 w/commercials; $43.99 commercial-free*)
    Mixes live TV with Hulu's on demand catalog. Currently in beta and not available on all devices.

*Not all shows are commercial free.

Devices
UDW0lU7.png

• Roku ($49.99-$129.99, built into several TVs)
    Currently the most popular Set Top Box (STB). Has thousands of channels, most of which are junk, but offers almost all the major channels. Only non-Amazon device to include Amazon Prime Video. Also has Google Movies and TV.
  • Apple TV ($149-$199)
    Offers most major channels as well as integration with Apple ecosystem. Allows for AirPlay. Does not have Amazon. Google TV and Movies content can be played through the YouTube app.
  • Fire TV ($39.99-$99.99)
    Offers several major channels as well as Amazon integration.
  • Chromecast ($34.99)
    Utilize apps on Android, iOS, or PC (Chrome) to cast directly to the TV.
  • Android TV (Prices vary)
    Offers several major channels as well as Google integration.

Software
sAKGYd9.png

• Kodi (formerly XBMC)
    From the website - Kodi® (formerly known as XBMC™) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media center for playing videos, music, pictures, games, and more. Kodi runs on Linux, OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.
  • Plex
    -From the website - All your movie, TV show, music, and photo collections at your fingertips. Anywhere you go, on the devices you love.
    -Works on Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV, Xbox One, Playstation 4, and various mobile devices.

rr7TQaw.jpg

What super special antenna do I buy to pick up HD channels?
None. HD channels are received using the same antenna you had in 1984 if you want. You might want something a bit newer, stronger, and/or with some amplification to get the best experience. No special "HD technology" is required, however.

Won't I miss sports?
No. Free OTA channels contain a ton of sports in-season on the weekends. Casual sports fans will not miss sports. Hardcore sports fans will want to consider subscribing to a cable replacement for even more content.

How do I watch my local sports teams?
Sling and Playstation Vue offer regional sports networks in certain markets that cover MLB, NBA, and/or NHL. Check their websites for details. NFL games for local teams are always offered free OTA, barring any NFL blackouts due to low ticket sales.

How do I DVR OTA channels?
Several manufacturers, including but not limited to: TiVo, Tablo, and Channelmaster offer DVRs for recording OTA content. Some even allow for viewing content on multiple devices and outside the house.

Any other sources of free content outside of streaming?
  • Yes! Visit your local library. A lot now have current and older movies on DVD/Bluray, and even games available to borrow. (thanks teruterubozu)
  • Many libraries support Overdrive and Hoopla. All you need is your library ID, and you can view in-stock items and possibly stream video, audio, and/or borrow eBooks.
Subscribing to cable is only $10 more than getting internet by itself. Why wouldn't I just go ahead and do that instead of all of this?
  • Good question. Keep in mind there are multiple elements to this. More than likely the price that's $10 more is an introductory price that will expire in 6-24 months. The $10 also doesn't include things like: DVR/box rentals, taxes, fees, regional sports fee, etc. That $10 extra can quickly become $20-$60 difference once all of that is added.
  • Also you may look into cord cutter packages from your cable provider. Some providers allow you to get internet+local channels for much cheaper than just internet. Additionally, some providers like FiOS, don't require a box at all for local channels.
  • No contracts. Dump any of your services whenever you want with no penalty. (thanks jam86)
  • Even if after all of that you're still only saving $10 per month, that's still $120 per year. Enough for two full priced games.
Hulu is losing CW! Where do I go for my shipping now?!
CW has apps for Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows 8/10, iOS, Android, and Fire tablets. The shows are viewable for free with commercials. There is no commrecial-free or pay option currently. No word yet on a Roku or Apple TV app, however there is a CW Seed app on Roku, so it's a possibility before October.

Why would I cut cable and lose X,Y, and Z?
  • In the end, it's up to you. Only you know your viewing habits and what you're willing to pay. In some cases, cutting the cable is a superior viewing experience due to a lower price, no commercials, and more freedom on when and where you want to watch shows.
  • In other cases, especially for those who consume TV non-stop, it may be a costlier solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Either way, I would suggest testing it out. If you have some of the streaming services above, unplug your cable box for a week and see how it feels. If you don't have the services, but are still interested, make a list of shows that you must watch day 1, those you don't mind waiting up to a year on, and those you can really do without. You might be surprised at the results and end up saving hundreds of dollars a year.

Other resources

lt519

Nice idea, I always wanted to do a general OT for cost saving and simple budgeting techniques. The mentality of cord-cutting can extend to so many other services we use.

• I for one have cut the cord from TWC; pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and share HBO GO with friends. Bought an HD Antenna for my Sunday football needs.
  • Pay for your own Cable Modem instead of renting from TWC and the likes.
  • I switched to Earthlink which is hosted by TWC and is $10 cheaper per package for the same speeds. You don't even have to change modems or have someone come to your house. The even dirtier trick here is you can sign up for 6 month packages and switch back and forth between Earthlink and TWC to keep getting the promotions.
  • I switched to Cricket from AT&T (which is an AT&T MVNO) which is $35 a month for 2.5 GB at 4G speeds (capped at 8Mbps and then slowed to HSPA+ when you exceed).
In the end I basically have the same coverage that I had before and save about $50 a month with the benefit of not being on contract with anyone and having an unlocked phone for international travel. Technically it's more than $50 a month when you consider I paid for Netflix and Amazon Prime even when I had cable.

platocplx

this is spectacular OP.

Right now im using a combo of Vue,Netflix and amazon prime. Crackle on occasion ads can be a pain though.

Great OT. It's about time all this can be put into one thread.

I have Sling and Netflix, plus I bum off my parents Comcast account for ESPN.

As an NFL fan, I've started using my antenna for local games and signed up for NFL Redzone through Verizon to keep track on the other games.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm loving Vue at the moment and haven't had Live TV in like a decade. on the PS4 its smooth, responsive and works very well aside from some growing pain issues like the DVR still having some faults and not having every major channel in their base package yet like the CW. Its getting there though and makes major improvements every couple months.

lt519

As an NFL fan, I've started using my antenna for local games and signed up for NFL Redzone through Verizon to keep track on the other games.

What's neat for me is that as a Giants season ticket holder they give out NFL Mobile and Redzone accounts for free. Made cutting the cord that much easier. Only thing I truly miss is ESPN but I can do without my Baseball Tonight obsession.

I watch 90% youtube, 8% Amazon prime video + paid movie with the free Amazon credit, also last 2% is HBO GoT $10 a month, 3 months a year.

edit: oh yeah, $15 a month for The Great Courses Plus, totally worth it.

yodandy

Great OP!

Wrote a blog post about my setup and experience but here's what I've got:

Before: $160/mo.
After: $75/mo.
46.8% savings/mo.

Upfront purchases:
TabloTV 4-Tuner DVR: $299 for the hardware + $150 lifetime access to TV guide service = $449
5 TB Hard Drive for the Tablo DVR: $130
OTA HD Antennae: $37
2x Roku3’s: $100 each = $200
My own modem vs. renting Comcasts: $65
Total upfront cost: $881

Monthly Stuff

Internet: Comcast - $60/mo. for like 100mb down or something

Media:
* Netflix shared with a friend and I give him Amazon Prime. Call it $10/mo.?
* HBO Go: I went to cancel my TV and Comcast begged me to stay on their lowest tier for free and threw in HBO. $0/mo.
* Sling TV: $15 with tmobile discount
* OTA TV DVR: $0/mo after a large initial investment
* Plex: for media obtained in other ways

This may sound redundant, but visit your local library too. I've rented many DVD series of shows like Game of Thrones, True Detective, Hannibal, etc. I've caught up on many shows that way, plus it's totally free.

Schlep

This may sound redundant, but visit your local library too. I've rented many DVD series of shows like Game of Thrones, True Detective, Hannibal, etc. I've caught up on many shows that way, plus it's totally free.
Very good point. Added to the OP under FAQ.

lt519

This should probably be in the OP. There are actually local libraries that connect you to streaming services for music and movies as well. My library partners with Hoopla. Wife uses it all the time on her iPad. Probably the worst selection out of everything, but hey it's more content.

Ourobolus

Banned
I've always wanted to cut the cord, but how do you do it with a decent internet connection? The stupid "bundles" that cable companies provide are only marginally more expensive than just a single service - for instance (and I don't remember the exact numbers, but they're similar), I can get cable+internet for $90, or just internet for $80.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I cut the cord about eight years ago and don't miss it at all. Right now I am currently subscribed to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the commercial-free tier of Hulu. More than meets my needs for a lot less than I used to pay Comcast.

Schlep

I've always wanted to cut the cord, but how do you do it with a decent internet connection? The stupid "bundles" that cable companies provide are only marginally more expensive than just a single service - for instance (and I don't remember the exact numbers, but they're similar), I can get cable+internet for $90, or just internet for $80.
Added under "Subscribing to cable is only $10 more than getting internet by itself. Why wouldn't I just go ahead and do that instead of all of this?" in FAQ.

Added.

studyguy

Personally roll a Roku running with:

Netflix - 50% of time
Hulu - 50% of time
Amazon (Prime) - Barely used just have it due to prime shipping
YoutubeRed (through Google Play Music) - I mean it's technically not TV but it's there

Dropping soon:
Crunchyroll - Just don't use it enough to warrant having it.

With the newest update from Sling, would love a side by side comparison between it and Vue. I know Sling has a couple of channels that Vue does not have and vice versa. I know that Vue has more TV anyqwhere apps and has cloud DVR.

Plus with vue coming out of beta and having network tv on demand programming, would definitely kill the need to bring on HULU right?

Any packages where you can get PBS?

lt519

What's your actual bill though? Is it higher than $90 due to licensing fees, taxes, rental equipment, etc on the cable side? Also look at alternative internet sources. I stumbled onto Earthlink being a provider under the TWC umbrella that's $10 a month cheaper option (another $120 a year).

Schlep

With the newest update from Sling, would love a side by side comparison between it and Vue. I know Sling has a couple of channels that Vue does not have and vice versa. I know that Vue has more TV anyqwhere apps and has cloud DVR.
The Comparison of Services link in the OP will cover this later today. The guy who maintains it is at work and says he will update later.

Plus with vue coming out of beta and having network tv on demand programming, would definitely kill the need to bring on HULU right?
Depends. Hulu offers some content not available on Vue. Also with Vue you may not be able to fast forward through some commercials where Hulu has the option of no commercials. Most people could probably could toss Hulu to save a few bucks if they have Vue.

Any packages where you can get PBS?
PBS has free apps for Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Fire TV, etc. All currently airing, and some older content, is available for free.

I'm trying out Vue now that it's on roku, so far I will say that it's definitely better than Sling purely on the amount of channels and the dvr functionality. The Vue experience on roku is very basic, it doesnt even have a guide so you can't really see what's coming up ahead unless you click on a channel. Vue will be $30 after my free trial, I know that it's more expensive in locations that local channels are available, does that mean that if local channels become available in my area my bill will increase? If so that's bullshit, local channels are free and I get them all with a large antenna I installed on my roof connected to every TV in my house, I even have dvr functionality with nextpvr. Sony should offer local channels as a separate package.

Great thread, been cord cutting for years but with PS VUE, it really changed everything for me (I tried sling for 3 months when it first came out, hated it).

My services per month:
Playstation VUE ($35.99)
Netflix ($9.99)
Amazon Prime ($8.25... I don't really use this, I mainly just use amazon for physical purchases)
Crunchyroll ($5.00)
Funimation ($4.17, cancelling soon as soon as the annual sub is up)
OTA Channels (one time $35 for antenna)

One more point to the OP under the "Subscribing to cable is only $10 more than getting internet by itself. Why wouldn't I just go ahead and do that instead of all of this?" section. There is no contract and you're free to cancel/resubscribe at anytime.

Oh forgot to mention, the biggest downside to current TV streaming services is that the audio is stereo quality at best. No surround sound support or high quality audio. Non-TV services such as Netflix/Amazon/Hulu do however support surround sound (not every streaming title).

HStallion

I'm trying out Vue now that it's on roku, so far I will say that it's definitely better than Sling purely on the amount of channels and the dvr functionality. The Vue experience on roku is very basic, it doesnt even have a guide so you can't really see what's coming up ahead unless you click on a channel. Vue will be $30 after my free trial, I know that it's more expensive in locations that local channels are available, does that mean that if local channels become available in my area my bill will increase? If so that's bullshit, local channels are free and I get them all with a large antenna I installed on my roof connected to every TV in my house, I even have dvr functionality with nextpvr. Sony should offer local channels as a separate package.

We aren't sure how it works but yeah I'm in an area with live local TV and its $40 but its been that way since the start. They've actually dropped the price several times since the service started which is actually the most impressive thing to me, they give you more channels as part of the base package then lower that price.

I would actually say try picking up a Fire TV as those run Vue pretty well from what I've heard.

Because for $10 you're likely only paying for OTA channels, a few news channels, and maybe one or two show channels. They may even throw in HBO or Showtime for free for one year, but charge $30 after that year.

Most people sign up with a really good deal. Yay $50 for the first year... Only $75 the following year. And over a hundred for any following years. People only consciously pay attention to the starting price. By the following year, maybe you got a slight raise at work and income is a bit better, and you never care about the small increase. It's just another bill to be paid. The cable company is making $100's in profit with you over a new subscriber.

You can always change your plan with the cable company. We call every 8 months to a year to lock in a new price for another year. Also pay attention to those contractors that sell subscriptions at kiosks in stores and malls, they can often get you some really good promotional deals over calling corporate.

Great OP!

Got rid of cable about a year ago when we moved. Probably saving about $50 a month. Thought I'd chime in with my setup.

Services I pay:
- Comcast 75 Mbps down (mostly get around 60)
- Netflix
- Hulu
- SlingTV Orange
- Local OTA Channels

Services I share with other people:
- MLB.tv

Service I bum off other people:
- HBO Go
- Amazon Prime

We do all of our TV viewing on the XB1 because we can easily jump between live local TV (with the Hauppage antenna adapter), Sling, and the rest of the other streaming services.

I do have a PS4 too. Currently thinking about Vue because of the better features and channel selection, but I like the seamlessness of having everything on one device.

Batjag

My library partners with Hoopla. Wife uses it all the time on her iPad. Probably the worst selection out of everything, but hey it's more content.

I also use hoopla from my library. I just wanted to add that hoopla also gives an awesome selection of graphic novels as well if you're into comics. Great service.

TS-08

Cutting the cord was really worth it for me since I had cable going to three TV's. I was paying like $30 just for the cable boxes. I was paying $50 in fees when dvr and HD fees were added in. That's not including taxes or things like the regional sports fee. Even if my cable tv subscription was free, I would still be paying way more than I am now for Vue. And now that Vue is on Roku, I can have it on the same number of TV's (2 Roku TV's plus a PS4 on another) that I had cable. I'm paying way less for a comparable - and in some ways superior - service.

I currently pay for Hulu (ad-free) and Netflix, and have Amazon Prime but never use it (though I might for Mr.Robot). I'm subscribed to HBO Now but now that Game of Thrones in done will probably cancel.

Now that Endeavour is back on PBS and Inspector Lewis is coming back, will probably be getting the PBS for my phone to use on my Chromecast.

So glad I don't have to deal with cable companies anymore except for my Internet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Unfortunately OTA does not work well for me in Los Angeles. i was cord cut for awhile but i got tired of having to manually re-adjust my bunny ears to get the local stations broadcasting on VHF. Seems like half of the local affiliates moved from UHF to VHF when the digital transition took place and signal quality took a nose dive.

Not to mention the premium you have to pay to get internet service by itself. Ended up just getting a bundled basic cable and internet because it ended up costing the same as naked internet.

I am mooching Netflix, Amazon Prime, and access to other premium cable channels off my brother though :)

Plex app actually works well (most of the time) for watching cbs, abc, fox, cw, and nbc dot coms that usually require you to login.

lt519

Unfortunately OTA does not work well for me in Los Angeles. i was cord cut for awhile but i got tired of having to manually re-adjust my bunny ears to get the local stations broadcasting on VHF. Seems like half of the local affiliates moved from UHF to VHF when the digital transition took place and signal quality took a nose dive.

Bunny ears can be a pain. I'm in a city with a lot of buildings and can get away with an omni flat panel that mounts nicely behind my TV. I pick up everything with it, whereas with my bunny ears I had to adjust them for certain channels.

Dropped DirecTV several years ago and have been relying on Hulu, Netflix, Prime and now Vue. Live outside Atlanta, so unless I want to build a big mast, no OTA for me.

I pay $80 for 75Mbps down and local channels, although Comcast fucks up the display on the channels. $10 for Netflix, $8 or so for Hulu, and $35 for Vue. I don't consider Prime to be included with that, I'd have it anyway.

Stream through a Roku 3, Roku HD, FireTV Stick, PCs, mobile and consoles. With the upgrade to 1TB data cap, thankfully doing this isn't an issue anymore.

I am tempted occasionally by bundle deals from Comcast or AT&T, but they never have the channels I absolutely have to have - ESPN, Fox RSNs, etc. Plus, the add-on fees are stupid.

mcrommert

Banned
Good OT :)

Run Plex in two different instances; one on htpc with 21tb of storage in flexraid/drivepool and the second on a vmware esxi ubuntu instance on a dl380 g8.

Also use netflix, amazon instant and hbo now during Game of thrones

Xbox one is attached to ota and i use that every so often...nice to have the option for show premiers and pbs

EDIT: Oh and forgot Fios for internet with 75/75 (more like actually 85/85)

Schlep

Great OT! Cut the cord in my room, but my mom needs her lifetime network and won't get rid of it sadly.

Sling has Lifetime in both the Orange and the Blue packs. On the Orange pack you can add Lifetime Movie Network for $5. Same on Blue, and you also get Oxygen and E! in the add-on pack.

EulaCapra

Great OT! Cut the cord in my room, but my mom needs her lifetime network and won't get rid of it sadly.
I was bummed that Playstation Vue didn't offer Lifetime....but then I realized you can just download the free Lifetime app on the streaming boxes. They offer pretty much all the shows and all the seasons in a no-hassle player interference. FOR FREE. NO ADS.

And are those Playstation Vue prices right? I'm paying for $30 not $35 for the most basic package.

woodchuck

How's everyone's experience with Sling?

With the recently announced sling blue, I'm thinking of getting that. The only thing I hesitate on is the technical issues.

I was bummed that Playstation Vue didn't offer Lifetime....but then I realized you can just download the free Lifetime app on the streaming boxes. They offer pretty much all the shows and all the seasons in a no-hassle player interference. FOR FREE. NO ADS.

And are those Playstation Vue prices right? I'm paying for $30 not $35 for the most basic package.

If they don't offer local channels in your area then yes you pay $30 for the access slim package. If they do offer local channels, you're forced to pay $35

With the recently announced sling blue, I'm thinking of getting that. The only thing I hesitate on is the technical issues.

It's been fine. Started using it on my Xbox One and there were so many technical issues I almost canceled. Been using it on my Vizio P Series TV and the experience has been much improved, although it drops to low quality for usually half of the length of anything I'm watching in both sound and visuals. I've decided to cancel after this month and give Vue a try.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I have only had it for 2 weeks. It works great when streaming from my phone/tablet to a Chromecast, but from the Xbox One it buffers and drops in quality too much. I live alone, so one stream for the "Orange" package is fine. If I had another person there, it wouldn't work. Look at the channel packages and think about your household. I would think that Vue would be the better option for most people. You pay a little more, but you are getting much more, IMO.

Ogodei

It feels like Sling would be the bet for a guy like me, who's moving somewhere with 125 MB FiOS but doesn't have the cable service installed, unless i could get FiOS to give me a package deal (but i'm also focused on getting a job in D.C., so i don't plan to spend out the term of my lease here in Pittsburgh and modifying the landline deal is less than ideal).

I like having TV channels, you see, something to put on as background noise, but the Over-the-air stations are extremely hit or miss for reruns and things of that nature (along with me having the old-school problem of just not getting some of the OTA stations in good quality due to positioning), but the service for some new shows is also good, the shows I really want to catch can all be found streaming online later anyway (see also: why i'll never need that Funimation subscription).

My ghetto solution was just to torrent a bunch of series that i like and build a home media player and randomize them. Boom, instant private TV channel filled with all the stuff i like, with Netflix and regular DVDs to supplement that on stay-at-home weekends.

For THose with Vue, do you find different speeds/functionality between using the Fire Box and Fire Stick?

Thanks in advance.

HStallion

For THose with Vue, do you find different speeds/functionality between using the Fire Box and Fire Stick?

Thanks in advance.

Like how responsive the actual Vue program is? The Fire TV box is a far smoother experience than the sticks. The sticks aren't bad per say but the Fire TV is a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom