• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cord Cutting |OT| Now With 50% More Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

EulaCapra

App performance on the Fire TV is much better compared to the Fire Stick.

I was researching this when selecting which device to use PS Vue on since my Apple TV doesn't support PS Vue.

This video on YouTube shows the performance differences between both devices.

PS4 provides the best performance but Fire TV is the next best compared to other devices.

An update is coming to the Fire TV 2nd Gen that will bring 60 fps video for channels that support it.

https://youtu.be/-f8-jinnDA8
Ooh thanks. My Fire TV Stick performs even slower than the one in the video.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Its coming out soon, hopefully sooner or later. Its already branched out to a ton of different services in like the last 6 museums.

Thanks, that's nice to know it's at least in the pipeline.

After researching Vue though it looks like that's a much better option for me, I honestly never even looked at it because I thought it was just more crap from Sony ... an ignorant assumption on my part. I'll just use my PS4 and chromecast until an app for AppleTV gets released.

tribal24

Banned
i just recently cut the cord and i decided to go with PS Vue so far the experience has been good. A few kinks with the recording and no HBO integrated inside it kinda sucks because ps4 only has HBO Go which you need a cable for. One thing you realize when you do cut the cord and in PS Vue case is that when paying for cable you get alot of bloat. I have the Elite package for PS Vue and so far i definitely watch more channels since browsing I'm not stumbling upon bloat channels. So far so good just once this thing gets HBO it will be complete.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Thanks, that's nice to know it's at least in the pipeline.

After researching Vue though it looks like that's a much better option for me, I honestly never even looked at it because I thought it was just more crap from Sony ... an ignorant assumption on my part. I'll just use my PS4 and chromecast until an app for AppleTV gets released.

Yeah they also dropped the price 20 dollars and added a ton of channels on top of that. They've been doing a pretty good job of steadily improving the service on all fronts. They only need like the CW and the History Channel and they've got pretty much all the major channels. I'm personally hoping for some more add on packages for HBO and Starz and what not like they do for Showtime and a few other specialized networks.

I'm also curious if they try to start pushing 4K channel streaming once the Neo comes out.

ParityBit

I was thinking of returning my FIOS equipment and buying a TiVO bolt (lifetime) and 3 mini's to replace it. I noticed I was paying almost $60 a month on the Quantum service and the 4 boxes I have as rental's.

Has anyone else done this? It sounds worth it to me and I am looking for some advice. It is "Semi" cord cutting. At least a big step towards it!

ParityBit

This thread died fast! I am still debating this. I just picked up a Roku (comes tomorrow) so I am still trying to plan/think on this.

Is Hulu Live a REAL thing? If I could get ESPN/CSN regional, Fox Sports 1 and NBC under one plan .... this is a Sports fan dream ...

This thread died fast! I am still debating this. I just picked up a Roku (comes tomorrow) so I am still trying to plan/think on this.

Is Hulu Live a REAL thing? If I could get ESPN/CSN regional, Fox Sports 1 and NBC under one plan .... this is a Sports fan dream ...

It sounds like it is coming, along with a DirecTV streaming plan. It'll be interesting to see what happens soon.

dantehemi

Read through the thread a bit and couldn't see anything related to my question...but being in Canada what are some streaming options for us Canadians? Currently using Netflix but I don't think we can get Hulu or hbo go

curb

Banned
Read through the thread a bit and couldn't see anything related to my question...but being in Canada what are some streaming options for us Canadians? Currently using Netflix but I don't think we can get Hulu or hbo go

We don't have many legal options. There's CraveTV and Shomi but those are still pretty lackluster from what I've seen. Some ISPs like vmedia offer TV over internet but it's really no different than actually having cable. There are some more grey IPTV options you can find on places like Kijiji but they're really just reselling streams of existing Rogers/Bell TV service.

woodchuck

I've had no problems with Sling if I'm watching on my iPad or laptop. But it's interaction with chromecast is complete shit. Luckily, I can just use the WatcgESPN app to stream on chromecast with great performance.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I've had no problems with Sling if I'm watching on my iPad or laptop. But it's interaction with chromecast is complete shit. Luckily, I can just use the WatcgESPN app to stream on chromecast with great performance.

I just ditched Sling ... it performed like total garbage on a 175mbps connection at my house. AppleTV, XB1, Chromecast, total shit regardless. PS Vue is light years ahead imo.

Anyone in HTown know how to catch an Astros game without MLB.TV or an illegal stream?

Edit: and can someone recommend me a good indoor antenna? Just for CBS and NFL games

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I don't think Hulu's service is coming this year. DirecTV and Vidgo are supposed to be this year. YouTube has a service coming next year as well.

You can get ESPN/Fox Regional. FS1/FS2, NBCSports, CBSSports, NBC Golf all on PS Vue now.

I just ditched Sling ... it performed like total garbage on a 175mbps connection at my house. AppleTV, XB1, Chromecast, total shit regardless. PS Vue is light years ahead imo.

Anyone in HTown know how to catch an Astros game without MLB.TV or an illegal stream?

Edit: and can someone recommend me a good indoor antenna? Just for CBS and NFL games

No, you pretty much are screwed for Rockets and Astros games locally when using a streaming service. Not sure Root networks are on any of them. And yes, Sling performs like crap, regardless of the network speed.

ParityBit

I don't think Hulu's service is coming this year. DirecTV and Vidgo are supposed to be this year. YouTube has a service coming next year as well.

You can get ESPN/Fox Regional. FS1/FS2, NBCSports, CBSSports, NBC Golf all on PS Vue now.

That is a good strat, but I would want Comcast Regional and NFL RedZone also. Need all the football options!

I ordered (comes today) a TiVO bolt and 3 mini's. This weekend I want to set it all up using the MoCa protocol and return all the FIOS hardware.

Does anybody have a recommendation for indoor UHF/VHF antennas? I'm pretty close to all the signal towers, but my current antenna can't seem to get NBC because it's a high-VHF signal.

I really don't want to break the bank so anywhere in the $30-$50 range would be nice.

dskillzhtown

That is a good strat, but I would want Comcast Regional and NFL RedZone also. Need all the football options!

I ordered (comes today) a TiVO bolt and 3 mini's. This weekend I want to set it all up using the MoCa protocol and return all the FIOS hardware.

If you want to save some money you are going to have to make some concessions. RedZone isn't on any service as of yet. In my case, I am saving over $125/month. I can deal with missing Astros/Rockets games for that much of a savings.

dskillzhtown

Seems your wish has been granted - https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/25/nfl-network-and-redzone-on-playstation-vue/
Sony has announced that both NFL Network and NFL RedZone will be available by the time the regular NFL season kicks off this fall.

ParityBit

I went ahead and go TiVo all set-up in my house. It is light years better than the FIOS boxes. Fast and wonderful guide, kick ass remote, etc!

Seeing this has peeked my interest and think we are getting even closer! I could use my Roku even. What about regional sports? I live in MA and I am wondering about a way to get CSNNE and ESPN.

I know it is a slow process and will not happen immediately. Nice to know what is on the horizon though!

Edit: Sucks that net only packages are still so expensive though!

dskillzhtown

I went ahead and go TiVo all set-up in my house. It is light years better than the FIOS boxes. Fast and wonderful guide, kick ass remote, etc!

Seeing this has peeked my interest and think we are getting even closer! I could use my Roku even. What about regional sports? I live in MA and I am wondering about a way to get CSNNE and ESPN.

I know it is a slow process and will not happen immediately. Nice to know what is on the horizon though!

Edit: Sucks that net only packages are still so expensive though!

All of the ESPNs are already on Vue. The only regional channels are the Fox Sports channels. Seems to me that CSN is the only thing you would be missing. You have to decide if CSN is worth missing out on the savings.

ParityBit

Ooops, I meant to say NESN, not ESPN. I figured NESN and CSNNE would be covered in any "regional sports" package.

I must say, I am very impressed with the offerings so far.

Vue has everything I need for so much cheaper than my previous cable company. Fucking love it.

RedZone channel coming this fall too!

Damn. That NFL Network and RedZone package is hard to pass up. If I could only my most watched channel from Sling (El Rey) on Vue and give me the option of watching the east coast feeds, I'd drop Sling in a heartbeat for that.

there was a recent update on PS4, Vue UI runs blazing fast now, PIP included when in the guide.

also just discovered to quickly to return to previous channel by pressing the touchpad.

HStallion

I think Sony really goofed releasing the PS TV before Vue was out. They could have released them as a package deal with a decent remote instead of a game controller and you could have a pretty nice VUE Station or whatever you want to call it. Oh well, maybe they can release an updated version down the road.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member
My U-Verse bundle expires in October. Instead of delaying I'm preparing my home, mainly parents, to switch to all digital. I haven't decided if I'll keep U-Verse or swap to Comcast. I already own my own router. I have unlimited data with U-Verse as well.

I will have to do trial runs and see how it works. If everything works out great come October the big change will happen. Thanks for this thread.

ParityBit

Right now, I am not sure what cable cutting saves you based on prices.

I can get 100/100 net + a solid Cable package for $110 from FIOS.

I would have to do ...
100/100 net at 59.99 from FIOS
PS Vue at 45.00

They are only $5 difference.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member

I would have to do ...
PS Vue at 45.00

Wish I had that ability, but I don't. Offers here are easily $150+ and this is after customer retention. I use to pay $110 a month, but that was almost 3 years ago.

TS-08

I would have to do ...
PS Vue at 45.00

Most of the savings are going to come from no additional fees: no equipment fees, no DVR fee, no HD fee, no regional sports fee, etc.

ParityBit

Most of the savings are going to come from no additional fees: no equipment fees, no DVR fee, no HD fee, no regional sports fee, etc.

Yes, this is true. I just dumped all my equipment and went with the TiVo bolt/mini's, and purchases my own FIOS router. My rental fee is the $5 cable card.

I would have to do ...
PS Vue at 45.00

I was paying $180 for Cable + Internet + HBO/Showtime

Now I pay: $45 Vue, $55 Internet, $15 HBO, $9 Showtime

Save about $65 a month.

Schlep

I would have to do ...
PS Vue at 45.00

You must have one hell of a special. I was paying $125 after taxes and fees for 25/25, Extreme, and one DVR.

Now I pay $62 after taxes for 25/25 and locals. Hulu is $13, and Sling is $21 when I'm feeling the itch. Girlfriend pays for Netflix. I had Hulu when I had cable, but even if I counted against my current budget, I'm still saving about $30 a month when Sling is active, $51 when not.

I would have to do ...
PS Vue at 45.00

Don't forget in addition to no fees, easy cancellation is a factor. I can turn on and off my subscription to Vue at will, just like any online service

Shadybiz

I would have to do ...
PS Vue at 45.00

I was paying $192 for cable/Internet/phone (dropping phone would have made it like $160). Had Netflix at the time as well.

Now pay $70 for Internet and $10 for Netflix (which has plenty for us), saving $80-$112.

Good news though is that Fios is finally coming to my neighborhood. I will sign up for their cable package for the introductory price, which is $70 as well, and enjoy it while it lasts. After that, I'll at least have faster Internet than what I'm getting now.

Jetman

Cut the cord last week and picked up Vue today. Awesome so far, but surprised there aren't more options for premium channels. No HBO? Seriously? Was hoping to pick up Starz or Cinemax too. Are these coming soon?

Cut the cord last week and picked up Vue today. Awesome so far, but surprised there aren't more options for premium channels. No HBO? Seriously? Was hoping to pick up Starz or Cinemax too. Are these coming soon?
HBO and Starz both have their own subscriptions if you want to do it that way.

Jetman

HBO and Starz both have their own subscriptions if you want to do it that way.

I didn't see any options to subscribe to those on Vue. The only options I had were Showtime, Epix, and a few sports packages. I have the HBO GO app on my dash but pretty sure it only works with a cable company. I need HBO NOW instead, right?

I didn't see any options to subscribe to those on Vue. The only options I had were Showtime, Epix, and a few sports packages. I have the HBO GO app on my dash but pretty sure it only works with a cable company. I need HBO NOW instead, right?
Yeah, you do.
I would advise that you get a Roku. PS Vue, HBO Now and Starz are all on there.

ParityBit

Here is what I get for a breakdown. Keep in mind, I have a nice Multi-TV TiVo set-up in my house so I have only one small rental fee. I also have couple Roku's which I love! Maybe that is the reason why cutting the cable is not as enticing?

So this is my FIOS bill:

Services and Discounts Monthly Amount
New Double Play $109.99
Fios TV Preferred HD
Fios Internet 100/100
$5 Preferred HD TV Agreement Discount Included
$5 Agreement Discount Included
$25 Agreement Discount Included
$5 Special Discount Included
New Pick Your Premiums $15 per month - Free for 12 months Fee Waived
–HBO​

New (Rent): Cable Card $4.99

Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges $5.82
Regional Sports Network Fee $5.89
Fios TV Broadcast Fee $2.99

Estimated Monthly Charges $129.68​

My bill cutting the cord:

FIOS 100/100 $59.99
HBO Now $15
PS Vue $44.99

Estimated Monthly Charges $119.98

So the difference is $10 a month (currently). It is definitely getting closer to being worth it.

Culex

Banned
We had Comcast across two tvs for about 183 dollars with the 150 mb Internet. We were already paying for Hulu Amazon and Netflix, so it just didn't warrant paying the cable bill.
Our downstairs tv is a TCL Roku TV.

We dropped the cable and now pay 94 dollars after tax each month for the 150 mb Internet.

I went from a FIOS STB > WMC > TiVO set up and have been nothing but happy with it. To get a similar set up via FiOS was going to cost me $50 more a month for all the STB.

Right now my bill is ~130 for 75/75, HBO/Showtime and ExtremeHD. My TiVO boxes have lifetime subs so I've almost made that cost back already.

I would give Vue a chance but we need MSG network (New york area) for NY Rangers games.

hiryu

I see that Vue now offers local CBS so I would only miss like 2 Browns games a year because those games would be on Fox. Seriously considering cancelling my Direct TV once my contract is up.

Does anyone with Vue have any complaints? Does it have any kind of DVR or on demand capability?

I see that Vue now offers local CBS so I would only miss like 2 Browns games a year because those games would be on Fox. Seriously considering cancelling my Direct TV once my contract is up.

Does anyone with Vue have any complaints? Does it have any kind of DVR or on demand capability?

From the Vue stie:

Can I record/DVR live TV programs?
Yes! By adding your favorite shows to “My Shows”, you will automatically save them for up to 28 days after they air. On Demand content added to “My Shows” will be saved for varying amounts of time.
Note: Some “On-Demand” and “DVR” programming availability will vary.

ParityBit

I went from a FIOS STB > WMC > TiVO set up and have been nothing but happy with it. To get a similar set up via FiOS was going to cost me $50 more a month for all the STB.

Right now my bill is ~130 for 75/75, HBO/Showtime and ExtremeHD. My TiVO boxes have lifetime subs so I've almost made that cost back already.

I would give Vue a chance but we need MSG network (New york area) for NY Rangers games.

I saved $65 from going swapping out my 4 STB + Quantum service + router and getting my own equipment (TiVo Bolt w/lifetime and 3 Mini's). That will pay for itself in a year. I also raised my net speed and cut some of the TV we do not need. Seems like a win/win to me as seen above!

The problem with the VUE DVR service is 28 days. Sometimes I can not get through all the stuff I record in that time, especially during Football/Hockey season.

HStallion

You just pick shows to add to a cloud DVR list and then anything from that show is recorded for a month. Its not the best if you want to save up an entire seasons worth of episodes of a new show and then watch them as you will be missing some that you didn't watch fast enough. For stuff like the Simpsons and other long running shows its like having the entire catalog at your fingers after a few weeks of recording because it just grabs everything on any channel and then sorts them by episode and season. It does have issues like its based on the guide's program times so if a show starts late it will cut off the end when the next program is supposed to start.

Brandwin

I took a step today to cutting the cord –

I can’t quite cut the cord, as I am in a contract with DISH and I don’t want to pay the $200.00 up-front to get out. So I dropped to their lowest package, $19.99, which comes to $40 after $10 credit. Still too much, but better than the $87.00 I was paying. It gives me 40 channels. CBS, NBC, FOX, Food network and some other crappy channels I’ll never, ever watch. So with football season coming up, I can still watch NFL games on HD on my TV. If it’s a MNF game I want to watch, I’ll figure something out.

We have Netflix and Hulu, so I am going to get a Roku 2 player for my daughters room and maybe get one for my bedroom. I don’t think I need one for the living room, as I can just use PS4 to watch Hulu and Netflix is built into the DISH box. My son mostly watches shows on NetFlix and Hulu, so I am set there.

I thought about paying the charge to break my contract with DISH, and I still may, but seeing you can only use one subscription to things like Sling TV at a time, kind of made me change my plans, for now. Thing I like, the channels Sling and PS VUE offer are channels I would probably watch when I do watch tv compared to the crap I am now getting with the cheap DISH package.

Future plan is probably have ROKU in our bedroom, my daughters room and the living room. Get Sling or PS Vue for them and call it a day.

Any tips you guys can give or suggest to make this cord cutting experience better?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
one slight update to the OP... Google sort of does work on Apple TV. You can't purchase content on Apple TV, but content you own on Google can be played through the YouTube app on Apple TV. So all of my Disney Anywhere movies show up both in iTunes and YouTube on Apple TV 4. I also bought another movie (Arsenic and Old Lace) on Google and that too is playable on Apple TV 4 through the YouTube app.

Schlep

Any tips you guys can give or suggest to make this cord cutting experience better?
I think too many people are beginning to equate cutting the cord with paying Sony for Cable instead of Comcast/Dish/Charter/etc. While you're going to save some money, it's really just clinging to an old habit using a different medium.

Admittedly, I do sub to Sling right now. For the moment, there's no other way (legally) to watch the Rangers tank their season. Also my gf would kill me if she didn't have CNN during election season. It's definitely not a year round sub.

I bring this up, not as a measurement, but more as I think a lot of people are missing the point. By the time you shell out $60 for internet and $40-55 for Vue, you're probably getting fairly close to the cost of a cable bundle (as others have noted). I would really suggest trying to live without cable, be it from Comcast or Sony, for a couple months and see how you feel about it.

one slight update to the OP... Google sort of does work on Apple TV. You can't purchase content on Apple TV, but content you own on Google can be played through the YouTube app on Apple TV. So all of my Disney Anywhere movies show up both in iTunes and YouTube on Apple TV 4. I also bought another movie (Arsenic and Old Lace) on Google and that too is playable on Apple TV 4 through the YouTube app.
Updated. Thanks.

Brandwin

My breakdown –

DISH
America’s Top 120 - $65.00
DVR fee - $12
Joey Box (2) $7 each
Taxes and other charges $5
Total - $89

Netflix - $10
Hulu - $12
Total - $22

Changes I made yesterday (because of contract)
DISH
Welcome Pack - $20 (5 channels of the 40 I get I will even watch)
DVR fee - $12
Joey Box (2) $7 each
Taxes and other charges $5
$10 credit for 4 months
Total - $41

Savings with DISH of $48

Options going forward –
Cancel DISH and pay $140 to break my contract.
Switch to PS Vue ($35) or Sling TV ($40)
Leave DISH and sign up with cable provider that I have internet through to get local HD channels and maybe lower internet bill with package deal. ($60)

*Cheap package with DISH allows me to keep all local channels, plus DVR.
*PS VUE is cheapest option and more channels
*Sling TV nor PS Vue doesn’t have local channels. So I would miss out of NFL/NCAA games on CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX, but they both offer ESPN/FOX Sports

I am not trying to cut the cord completely, per se, but trying to save as much money as possible and get the most bang for my buck. I am not getting anything other than local and DVR staying with DISH and their lowest package. Add to the fact that after my credit it will be $51 bucks again, too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom