• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cord Cutting |OT| Now With 50% More Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, I am not sure what cable cutting saves you based on prices.

I can get 100/100 net + a solid Cable package for $110 from FIOS.

I would have to do ...
100/100 net at 59.99 from FIOS
PS Vue at 45.00

They are only $5 difference.

Well the fact that after your introductory price, the prices get jacked up...and the cost of equipment. Unless that cost is the ongoing price. But you will still have to pay for all the boxes.

ParityBit

Well the fact that after your introductory price, the prices get jacked up...and the cost of equipment. Unless that cost is the ongoing price. But you will still have to pay for all the boxes.

I do not own their boxes. I have a TiVo set-up. Granted I have to deal with maintenance if needed. My only rental fee is $4.99 for a cable card. It would be 0 if I had Comcast.

I just called and redid my package set-up. It turns out if you call during the day (and get a local service agent) you get a better deal. I was quoted (without asking for) $5 cheaper than yesterday and Sunday (outsourced call to India).

Double Play $104.99
–Fios TV Preferred HD
–Fios Internet 100/100
–$5 Preferred HD TV Agreement Discount Included
–$5 Agreement Discount Included
–$25 Agreement Discount Included
–$5 Special Discount Included
Pick Your Premiums $15 per month - Free for 12 months Fee Waived
–HBO

(Rent): Cable Card $4.99

Estimated Monthly Subtotal $109.98
Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges $5.82
Regional Sports Network Fee $5.89
Fios TV Broadcast Fee $2.99
Estimated Monthly Total $124.68

I'm trying to decide between Sling and Vue. Right now Sling has a big advantage for me because it is $20 a month whereas the cheapest Vue plan where I live is $40 a month.

Do both services have DVR? Anything else that differentiates them?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I see that Vue now offers local CBS so I would only miss like 2 Browns games a year because those games would be on Fox. Seriously considering cancelling my Direct TV once my contract is up.

Does anyone with Vue have any complaints? Does it have any kind of DVR or on demand capability?

I am very happy with Vue, but it is a shift in how you consume content. If you have a PS4 or Fire Box you will get a traditional grid-based guide. On other devices you get more of a list instead. Not a big deal, but it is a shift.

Last night I was talking to some friends who pay over 225 bucks for cable per month. I showed them Vue on my phone and they saw that everything that they watch was available on Vue. But they said they didn't think they could give up hording shows on their DVR for months at a time. I asked do they ever watch the old shows, they said "sometimes, but not really". I pointed out that with Vue, you could save almost $200/month and if you REALLY want to watch an old episode of something, you can buy /rent it from a multitude of platforms. They were asking me because they REALLY need to cut costs in their household, but it seems that the cable company has them like a drug or something.

dskillzhtown

I'm trying to decide between Sling and Vue. Right now Sling has a big advantage for me because it is $20 a month whereas the cheapest Vue plan where I live is $40 a month.

Vue, by a mile. You can read through here about the experiences others have had. But for me Vue offers 5 simultaneous streams, credentials that work on apps from all the stations, and more importantly much better performance. I had Sling for a month and was frustrated by the constant downgrades in quality, buffering and at times straight up disconnections. Vue hasn't had any of that for me. The fact I can use my Vue credentials on channel apps/web sites is huge. Sling only offers that with WatchESPN. So yes, Vue is a bit more, but still much less than I was paying for cable and without the issues of Sling.

Schlep

Sling is a very barebones service. No DVR, and very few channels have On Demand content. It's mostly useful for sports and AMC/USA VOD. Outside of that, think 1990s "It's 8PM, the show is starting!" usage.

Vue is much closer to the 'traditional' cable experience. Guide view with 28 day DVR functionality.

They were asking me because they REALLY need to cut costs in their household, but it seems that the cable company has them like a drug or something.
This is the case with a vast majority of people, especially older people who've had cable forever. It's seen as a basic human need, even though it's laughably not. Even when you convince someone that the combination of antenna and streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, etc) is way more content than they could ever consume, they still want to channel surf.

TS-08

If you can get what you want on one of Sling's base packages and don't think you need a DVR service, go with Sling. But if what you want on Sling would cost anywhere near what you can get on Vue, get Vue. It's better in just about every respect I can think of.

Brandwin

You're out of range for antenna?

I am not sure about that. How would one know? I was informed these are good for local HD channels - http://store.gomohu.com/leaf-50-indoor-amplified-hdtv-antenna.html

I have three tv's, but if we are doing Hulu/Netflix/Vue, those other tvs can get by without using local channels. One is my room and one is my daughters. I can't think of any shows she watches on those anyway and if she wants to, she can just watch in the living room.

I didn't see any options to subscribe to those on Vue. The only options I had were Showtime, Epix, and a few sports packages. I have the HBO GO app on my dash but pretty sure it only works with a cable company. I need HBO NOW instead, right?
HBO Now should be coming to PS4 sometime soon. It's been on X1 for awhile already- X1 did get the HBO GO app before PS4 as well.

My Samsung smart tv looks awesome but man is this setup a pain the ass. My harmony remote won't work with it because it keeps taking control of the receiver at in opportune times.

I miss popping a coax into the back of my big crt

Because it'll save money and you might actually enjoy TV more. Might even enjoy life more.
What?
I think that's a ridiculous notion. I watch TV for fun, why should I give it up unless I don't find it fun anymore?
(To clarify I'm putting Netflix and Hulu when I say TV.)

Schlep didn't tell you to get rid of TV - just cable.

I'd say his comment of "enjoy life more" means he's implying to get rid of TV.

One can also make the argument that cable is no longer specific to comcast/time warner/etc as services are building out more and more. Shifting your money from Comcast to Vue + HBO + Netflix is more or less the same with the only difference being a contract.

dskillzhtown

I took a step today to cutting the cord –

I can’t quite cut the cord, as I am in a contract with DISH and I don’t want to pay the $200.00 up-front to get out. So I dropped to their lowest package, $19.99, which comes to $40 after $10 credit. Still too much, but better than the $87.00 I was paying. It gives me 40 channels. CBS, NBC, FOX, Food network and some other crappy channels I’ll never, ever watch. So with football season coming up, I can still watch NFL games on HD on my TV. If it’s a MNF game I want to watch, I’ll figure something out.

We have Netflix and Hulu, so I am going to get a Roku 2 player for my daughters room and maybe get one for my bedroom. I don’t think I need one for the living room, as I can just use PS4 to watch Hulu and Netflix is built into the DISH box. My son mostly watches shows on NetFlix and Hulu, so I am set there.

I thought about paying the charge to break my contract with DISH, and I still may, but seeing you can only use one subscription to things like Sling TV at a time, kind of made me change my plans, for now. Thing I like, the channels Sling and PS VUE offer are channels I would probably watch when I do watch tv compared to the crap I am now getting with the cheap DISH package.

Future plan is probably have ROKU in our bedroom, my daughters room and the living room. Get Sling or PS Vue for them and call it a day.

Any tips you guys can give or suggest to make this cord cutting experience better?

Vue gives you ESPN and credentials to WatchESPN, So your MNF is taken care of. I would recommend an Amazon Fire Box instead of Roku for the bedroom. The performance is much better than the Roku, atleast for Vue.

TS-08

I'd say his comment of "enjoy life more" means he's implying to get rid of TV.

One can also make the argument that cable is no longer specific to comcast/time warner/etc as services are building out more and more. Shifting your money from Comcast to Vue + HBO + Netflix is more or less the same with the only difference being a contract.

What do you think was meant by "enjoy TV more"? Your second paragraph seems to be the exact point he was making. But I won't continue speaking on his behalf.

Schlep

What do you think was meant by "enjoy TV more"? Your second paragraph seems to be the exact point he was making. But I won't continue speaking on his behalf.
Right. If someone watches 3 hours of TV a day (average is 5.something), one of those hours with cable is going to be commercials. Common response to that is DVR. With the DVR, you're paying an extra $15-20 a month, and you have to fast forward through commercials instead of a seamless experience. Even with Vue, you're talking $40 a month plus tax for their basic package.

I get it. Some people just really love cable. To me it's an overpriced hassle.

I do not own their boxes. I have a TiVo set-up. Granted I have to deal with maintenance if needed. My only rental fee is $4.99 for a cable card. It would be 0 if I had Comcast.

I just called and redid my package set-up. It turns out if you call during the day (and get a local service agent) you get a better deal. I was quoted (without asking for) $5 cheaper than yesterday and Sunday (outsourced call to India).

Double Play $104.99
–Fios TV Preferred HD
–Fios Internet 100/100
–$5 Preferred HD TV Agreement Discount Included
–$5 Agreement Discount Included
–$25 Agreement Discount Included
–$5 Special Discount Included
Pick Your Premiums $15 per month - Free for 12 months Fee Waived
–HBO

(Rent): Cable Card $4.99

Estimated Monthly Subtotal $109.98
Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges $5.82
Regional Sports Network Fee $5.89
Fios TV Broadcast Fee $2.99
Estimated Monthly Total $124.68

I mean those fees are adding up there..you said Vue + Fios would be like 105. 20 dollars is a pretty big difference and there is the added benefit that you don't have to worry about pricing jumping around after a year because some intro prices ended. Some don't want to deal with that hassle. Having service with one, consistent price is a high priority for some.

Granted you have HBO in that package, but that will be an added cost next year that you may have to re-negotiate or just eat the cost of.

ParityBit

Plus about $13-16/month for TiVo.

Yes, or lifetime for 550. So for my router rental ($10 a month), Main box ($15 a month), 3 rooms ($5 a month) and Quantum Service ($26), I was paying $66 a month in fees, not including taxes on those boxes which came to about $70 a month.

I paid $200 Bolt (+$550 lifetime), 3 Mini's ($105 each), FIOS router ($90) which came to $1150. So in about 14 Months I am in the clear. I also have the OTA antenna built in. So I ate the first year of rentals up front pretty much.

I mean those fees are adding up there..you said Vue + Fios would be like 105. 20 dollars is a pretty big difference and there is the added benefit that you don't have to worry about pricing jumping around after a year because some intro prices ended. Some don't want to deal with that hassle. Having service with one, consistent price is a high priority for some.

Granted you have HBO in that package, but that will be an added cost next year that you may have to re-negotiate or just eat the cost of.

The $20 is really $5 difference because of the free HBO for a year. The $5 is worth the convenience I think.

The only jump would be HBO. The prices won;t change for 2 years. HBO ends after 1 year, but most times I have been able to call and get it put in for free for the second year. If I am unable to this time I would just drop it and get it as HBO Now.

I have no idea if these prices are what they are for me because I "could" get Comcast if I wanted. FIOS is just so much better (from my experience) I guess this just fits my situation well! At some point in the future I fully expect to cord cut.

This is key. I'm such a lazy ass that I wouldn't even realize the intro prices changed until after I was already charged the normal price. Also, my interest in TV waxes and wanes. I've already floated between Vue's packages because I was watching more/less TV. It's super liberating.

effzee

So need help here.

Just purchased a new house (first house!) and will be on a tight budget. Looking to save where we can and our current set up seems way too pricey:

Here is what I have:

Time Warner Cable triple package - internet, tv, and cable (with DVR, two boxes, and rentals fees): $ 170 a month includes taxes

Which to me is way too much considering my wife and I only watch shows off of netflix or hbo now whenever we have time. My main tv needs are live sports.

So since I will be moving, figured this is the best time try cutting the cord.

What I need from a new set up is the following:

1. Local channels in HD
2. A service that provides ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, and TBS

Any suggestions on what might work best for me? I am leaning towards PS Vue but the other day I was at AT&T to review my cellular plan and they mentioned some new deal they have where I can get a multi line phone plan with unlimited date ($60 base with 40 per line + monthly pay off the phones purchased on the plan) which for me and my family would come out to $260.

If I add $50 to this plan I can a mini DirectTV dish with a 171 channel package and NFL sunday ticket free the first year.

So my cost here would go from 171 for what I currently pay in a triple package + the cell bill I already pay which comes out to close to $232. So about $400 total for cell family plan, internet, tv, and home phone.

If I go with the direct tv service I get unlimited data cell plan plus tv at about $320. I'd still have to get internet on my own and don't plan on getting a home phone so add another 50-60 for whatever internet service i get so it almost evens out close to $400 on both options.

JB1981

Vue Core package plus basic high speed internet will take care of your sports and local channel needs (at least it would in my area) so you have to see if the cost of Vue+Internet+phone bill is less or equal to the cost of Directv+Internet service.

Oh I see you have already said it's a wash. How many Tvs do you have?

hiryu

Thanks for the advice, looks like Vue is a good option.

I'm not trying to stop watching TV, I'm trying to only pay for what I watch and not for a bunch of extra crap.

Fladam

Subscribed!

I'm surprised I don't see more talk about the digital multicast networks that are available to antenna users. The channels aren't all national, but many have high clearance and pretty good content. Hell, there is even an all-classic-game-show OTA network now.

I need a comprehensive solution.

I would like all of the premium and major networks, or at least the ability to subscribe to all the premium and major networks in one place.

I also would like to be able to watch complete series any time I want, not just the most recent episodes.

Also, CBS can go fuck themselves for not cutting a deal with other inclusive streaming services. No one wants to have an exclusively separate subscription just for one fucking standard network.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I need a comprehensive solution.

I would like all of the premium and major networks, or at least the ability to subscribe to all the premium and major networks in one place.

I also would like to be able to watch complete series any time I want, not just the most recent episodes.

Also, CBS can go fuck themselves for not cutting a deal with other inclusive streaming services. No one wants to have an exclusively separate subscription just for one fucking standard network.

Vue seems to be going for that but its not there yet. It doesn't have an add on for HBO for example and is still missing the CW and History channels in the base package, however they've been adding channels and updating the UI and such every few months without fail.

Vue seems to be going for that but its not there yet. It doesn't have an add on for HBO for example and is still missing the CW and History channels in the base package, however they've been adding channels and updating the UI and such every few months without fail.

I heard something about Roku having Vue. Is this not true?

Jonbo298

I heard something about Roku having Vue. Is this not true?

Roku has Vue as of June 21st. Missing some UI elements and can't add additional profiles in the Roku app (can switch between them, I think, once added) but last I knew, they're working on getting the Roku app on par with the PS3/4 and Fire TV.

What's different on PlayStation™Vue on Roku?

With PlayStation™Vue on Roku, you’ll be able to watch the same great shows and movies, live, on-demand, or via My Shows, right on your Roku streaming device. Many of your favorite PlayStation™Vue features have been tailored for Roku, like My Shows, Favorite Channels, Featured and Recommended content, and Search. Some features, like Guide and Explore, are not currently available on Roku devices.
The ability to purchase, adjust, or cancel your PlayStation™Vue subscription is not currently available on Roku devices.

As for my own experience, my grandparents were complaining about the cable TV bill often. Since I moved in with them recently (long story short, financial reasons) I let them use my Roku 3 and do a 7 day trial with PS Vue. Barely a day later and they wanted me to go get a Roku for the living room and bedroom and they would dump cable TV. Surprised me since they're not technologically literate but I figured Roku was their best way to minimize the 'shock' of trying something new. Had to get a Wifi extender on Amazon since the signal degrade was too harsh from basement to bedroom. Now they're saving around $100 a month, along with an extra $15 off for the next year since I told them to threaten to take internet/phone to competitor (even though they aren't) and paying $35 for Vue.

Roku has Vue as of June 21st. Missing some UI elements and can't add additional profiles in the Roku app (can switch between them, I think, once added) but last I knew, they're working on getting the Roku app on par with the PS3/4 and Fire TV.

This is probably my best bet then, since it has HBO Now. What about CBS? Can I add that subscription to Vue or Roku?

Also, what's the best Roku device? If I have lots of TVs, what would be the best bang for buck?

Thanks for answering my questions, btw.

Schlep

Roku also has CBS All Access, yes.

Personally, I would go with the new Roku Stick. I have one (along with a Roku 3 and a Sharp Roku TV), and the Stick is definitely the best bang for the buck.

xJavonta

Banned
So need help here.

Just purchased a new house (first house!) and will be on a tight budget. Looking to save where we can and our current set up seems way too pricey:

Here is what I have:

Time Warner Cable triple package - internet, tv, and cable (with DVR, two boxes, and rentals fees): $ 170 a month includes taxes

Which to me is way too much considering my wife and I only watch shows off of netflix or hbo now whenever we have time. My main tv needs are live sports.

So since I will be moving, figured this is the best time try cutting the cord.

What I need from a new set up is the following:

1. Local channels in HD
2. A service that provides ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, and TBS

Any suggestions on what might work best for me? I am leaning towards PS Vue but the other day I was at AT&T to review my cellular plan and they mentioned some new deal they have where I can get a multi line phone plan with unlimited date ($60 base with 40 per line + monthly pay off the phones purchased on the plan) which for me and my family would come out to $260.

If I add $50 to this plan I can a mini DirectTV dish with a 171 channel package and NFL sunday ticket free the first year.

So my cost here would go from 171 for what I currently pay in a triple package + the cell bill I already pay which comes out to close to $232. So about $400 total for cell family plan, internet, tv, and home phone.

If I go with the direct tv service I get unlimited data cell plan plus tv at about $320. I'd still have to get internet on my own and don't plan on getting a home phone so add another 50-60 for whatever internet service i get so it almost evens out close to $400 on both options.
First off, Drop AT&T because their pricing for their cell plans is not at all aggressive compared to what you get with Verizon and Sprint. Sprint has gotten much better and if you stop at a Best Buy you can get 25gb of data for $50. Insane value. If you really need good coverage you'd be better off switching to Verizon and I believe they have BOGO going on right now.

Side note: We just got rid of Vue. It wasn't bad. The quality was fantastic. But the interface is so fucking bad. Sony really needs to hire a UI team because all of their products suck at it.

Roku also has CBS All Access, yes.

Personally, I would go with the new Roku Stick. I have one (along with a Roku 3 and a Sharp Roku TV), and the Stick is definitely the best bang for the buck.

This sounds great.

So what can I do to get full access to shows on the networks of which I'm subscribed? The current streaming options available to me only show the last 5 or so episodes of the latest respective season, which is bullshit.

For instance, there are a few SyFy shows that I'd like to watch from the beginning but can't. How can I legally watch these shows in their entirety?

Jonbo298

This is probably my best bet then, since it has HBO Now. What about CBS? Can I add that subscription to Vue or Roku?

Also, what's the best Roku device? If I have lots of TVs, what would be the best bang for buck?

Thanks for answering my questions, btw.

Vue might have CBS. It's in a limited number of markets currently but as Schlep said, there is a CBS All Access app on Roku also.

Best bang for the buck is the new Roku stick, without a doubt, if you don't care about 4k content. Being able to also use a phone (iOS/Android)/tablet/BT headphones for private listening is awesome. Removes the barrier the headphone jack on remote the Roku 3/4 has of replacing batteries more frequently.

This sounds great.

So what can I do to get full access to shows on the networks of which I'm subscribed? The current streaming options available to me only show the last 5 or so episodes of the latest respective season, which is bullshit.

For instance, there are a few SyFy shows that I'd like to watch from the beginning but can't. How can I legally watch these shows in their entirety?

PS Vue has a lot of agreements with companies that have their own app also for content. This is your best bet with Syfy. http://www.syfy.com/apps/syfy-now Checked the provider list and Playstation Vue is on it.

Vue might have CBS. It's in a limited number of markets currently but as Schlep said, there is a CBS All Access app on Roku also.

Best bang for the buck is the new Roku stick, without a doubt, if you don't care about 4k content. Being able to also use a phone (iOS/Android)/tablet/BT headphones for private listening is awesome. Removes the barrier the headphone jack on remote the Roku 3/4 has of replacing batteries more frequently.

That does sound like a cool feature.

At this point, it looks like I'm going with the new Roku stick, but it'll be pointless if I can only watch the most recent episodes of shows I've never seen.

Schlep

The only legal way would be to buy a season pass on Amazon. Most (not all) networks only keep the last 5 episodes available due to contractual reasons. Some networks have the entire season on Hulu, but it's hit and miss. Hulu demanding that from CW contributed to CW pulling out of Hulu and going with Netflix instead.

HStallion

This sounds great.

Vue has cloud DVR. Its fairly responsive and the quality is good and it doesn't have limits on how many shows or episodes you can have but it has a month long limit on content before it disappears. So for shows like the Simpsons which air reruns on a dozen channels and FXX just films half the day with them it gives you a huge selection of new and old, classic and shitty and its all sorted by season and episode. However new shows you will have probably 4 episodes at best before you start losing the oldest ones to the monthlong limit. Sucks maybe down the road they'll change it. Personally I think 3 months would be the sweet spot because that gives you just about an entire season or half season of a show like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

The only legal way would be to buy a season pass on Amazon. Most (not all) networks only keep the last 5 episodes available due to contractual reasons. Some networks have the entire season on Hulu, but it's hit and miss. Hulu demanding that from CW contributed to CW pulling out of Hulu and going with Netflix instead.

Vue has cloud DVR. Its fairly responsive and the quality is good and it doesn't have limits on how many shows or episodes you can have but it has a month long limit on content before it disappears. So for shows like the Simpsons which air reruns on a dozen channels and FXX just films half the day with them it gives you a huge selection of new and old, classic and shitty and its all sorted by season and episode. However new shows you will have probably 4 episodes at best before you start losing the oldest ones to the monthlong limit. Sucks maybe down the road they'll change it. Personally I think 3 months would be the sweet spot because that gives you just about an entire season or half season of a show like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

What a huge fucking bummer. This isn't that much better that cable viewing, IMO. I don't always have the luxury to keep up with new shows.

And the season pass on Amazon is basically just outright buying a season, right? Disappointing.

HStallion

What a huge fucking bummer. This isn't that much better that cable viewing, IMO. I don't always have the luxury to keep up with new shows.

And the season pass on Amazon is basically just outright buying a season, right? Disappointing.

You can use your VUE credentials to use most of the dedicated streaming sites/apps for particular networks and those sometimes have full seasons available but that depends on the network

So I finally cut the cord. I went from;

160$ a month to 60$ a month for just Internet, 25mbps

I just called Comcast, told them I wanted to get rid of tv, they transferred me a couple of times, offered me some stuff, no thanks, then dude says that 25mbps isn't enough for Netflix lol.

I said Gaf said it was enough, no response, kinda awkward, but anyways, I did it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom