• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cord Cutting |OT| Now With 50% More Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
NFL Network has been added to Sling Blue. Some on Orange are reporting getting it as well, but it's not listed on the Sling website so that may be in error.

NFL RedZone is available under the $5 Sports Extra add-on.

Good news to those with Sling. Hopefully Vue gets it today or tomorrow.

ZOONAMI

I would honestly switch to sling from vue if they just had a package with both AMC and fx for $20. Sucks you have to get both orange and blue for that.

Saw that HULU is dropping the free service, does that impact anyone?

Also. I have comcast BLAST internet. So I should get 150 Down, but I only max out at about 55 max down..and then with wifi to where my TV is at it gets down to about 8-9 MBS down.

Anyone have any advice for best Router/Modem for Cable internet (Comcast) That will help boost those numbers? Heard Vue needs about 20 MBS down for really good performance?

NFL Network has been added to Sling Blue. Some on Orange are reporting getting it as well, but it's not listed on the Sling website so that may be in error.

NH0zEjj.gif

Whew. I thought I was going to have to drop Sling for Vue for a moment there.

Sling Blue has both, although they upped the price from $20 to $25 a month ago.

Unless you already had the Fox package when they added the NBC Universal networks back in June, then it's still $20. They grandfathered those customers in.

Brandwin

So I wonder when we will find out the details of those channels for PS Vue?

dskillzhtown

So I wonder when we will find out the details of those channels for PS Vue?

People on reddit are reporting that if you log on to a channel site using your credentials, then go to nflnetwork.com, you are automatically logged in. So it appears the backend work is done but the interface hasn't been updated.

dLMN8R

I feel like as time goes by, Sling TV is making less sense, while PlayStation Vue is becoming far more attractive.

I last tried Sling TV over a year ago but the core problem I had with it still seems to exist - the complete unpredictability of how each channel works. Some let you pause / rewind, others don't. Some have every show available on demand, others require you to watch live.

Does PlayStation Vue really work as simply as a cloud DVR which you can use to record literally anything on the service to watch later?

If so, how does Sling TV justify still being so awful with this functionality?

Now with the Orange vs. Blue plans, their web site doesn't even let me view a simple side-by-side comparison. Just a mess of inscrutable logos I need to spend minutes staring at to figure out what, really, is the difference between them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel like as time goes by, Sling TV is making less sense, while PlayStation Vue is becoming far more attractive.

I last tried Sling TV over a year ago but the core problem I had with it still seems to exist - the complete unpredictability of how each channel works. Some let you pause / rewind, others don't. Some have every show available on demand, others require you to watch live.

Does PlayStation Vue really work as simply as a cloud DVR which you can use to record literally anything on the service to watch later?

Now with the Orange vs. Blue plans, their web site doesn't even let me view a simple side-by-side comparison. Just a mess of inscrutable logos I need to spend minutes staring at to figure out what, really, is the difference between them.

Its a cloud DVR system. You just pick shows, movies or events you want to record and it automatically records everything relating to that. You record the Simpsons and it will record every episode of the Simpsons that is on any channel. It sorts them by episode number and season and it doesn't record duplicate episodes as far as I can tell. As far as I can tell there is no limit to it either as I have like 300 Simpsons episodes alone.

The big thing with Vue DVR is that there is a one month limit for all recorded programs. The other issue I have is that the recording is based on the guides listing so if a program runs late it might cut off the ending.

dLMN8R

A one-month limit is fine IMO. I don't make a habit of taking that long to watch stuff, but if I do, most of it can be found on demand somewhere.

Has Sling indicated at all that they want to improve that part of their service?

dskillzhtown

They were first, so expectations were low.

A one-month limit is fine IMO. I don't make a habit of taking that long to watch stuff, but if I do, most of it can be found on demand somewhere.

Has Sling indicated at all that they want to improve that part of their service?

I saw an article on Bloomberg with a Dish exec who basically said they have no plans to make drastic changes to their service even with all the competition coming. They feel like their price point is enough to compete. Sling has alot of issues. Performance/quality, the seemingly random on-demand function, the lack of credentials working anywhere but ESPN are the three biggest, IMO.

HStallion

Your Vue credentials get you access to most of the network based streaming apps as well so that helps a lot too.

I have no clue what Sling is planning to do but I've also never used it. I kind of jumped into this with Vue to watch the first Bernie/Hillary primary battle and have just kind of stuck with it. The have steadily improved the service every few months with added channels, price drops and just improving the UI in general.

Lomax

Saw that HULU is dropping the free service, does that impact anyone?

Also. I have comcast BLAST internet. So I should get 150 Down, but I only max out at about 55 max down..and then with wifi to where my TV is at it gets down to about 8-9 MBS down.

Anyone have any advice for best Router/Modem for Cable internet (Comcast) That will help boost those numbers? Heard Vue needs about 20 MBS down for really good performance?

Sounds like you still have a DOCSIS 2.0 router, you need a 3.0 router which is basically anything sold recently.

Yeah I was considering checking out Sling but I've been happy with Vue and the Vue $30 package has everything I want while I'd have to get the $40 package from Sling. Plus the DVR is pretty nifty on Vue.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Most of the Arris Surfboard modems are compatible with Comcast internet. I have a SB6183 and an ASUS RT-A68U wireless router. It cost about $240 total but it saves me that $10 monthly fee for the modem, plus that router smokes the one from Comcast and covers every square foot of my place which is 2 stories.

Sounds like you still have a DOCSIS 2.0 router, you need a 3.0 router which is basically anything sold recently.

Thanks this is what I have
41upv4G42UL._SY300_.jpg

Most of the Arris Surfboard modems are compatible with Comcast internet. I have a SB6183 and an ASUS RT-A68U wireless router. It cost about $240 total but it saves me that $10 monthly fee for the modem, plus that router smokes the one from Comcast and covers every square foot of my place which is 2 stories.
. That sounds amazing. Are there any modem/routers combos you would suggest?

Also I've read download speed (hardline) is based on the Nic card? 10/100?

I just got a roku tv, does it have the same functionality as roku box? And we can sign up for the vue

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
. That sounds amazing. Are there any modem/routers combos you would suggest?

Also I've read download speed (hardline) is based on the Nic card? 10/100?

I just got a roku tv, does it have the same functionality as roku box? And we can sign up for the vue

This is the router and modem combo I have that I listed in my other post :

ASUS (RT-AC68U)

ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

I spent a little more than I wanted but I also won't need to upgrade for a long time since this combo supports bandwidth far higher than what Comcast delivers. We can stream off multiple devices upstairs and down with no problem. As long as your Roku TV has 802.11N or 802.11AC spec you will be fine.

This is the router and modem combo I have that I listed in my other post :

ASUS (RT-AC68U)

ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

I spent a little more than I wanted but I also won't need to upgrade for a long time since this combo supports bandwidth far higher than what Comcast delivers. We can stream off multiple devices upstairs and down with no problem. As long as your Roku TV has 802.11N or 802.11AC spec you will be fine.

Thanks for that. Reading that AC uses 5ghz and N uses 2.4. Read that because 2.4 has a wider waveband that it's better for homes with multiple floors and walls?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So is the ability to record a tv show only on PlayStation Vue? Can you do with Sling Blue or whatever it's called?

HStallion

So is the ability to record a tv show only on PlayStation Vue? Can you do with Sling Blue or whatever it's called?

Sling has no DVR option that I'm aware of. Vue has cloud DVR. You don't record specific episodes or programs. You just add shows to your favorite list and then any episode of the show that airs on any channel is recorded, sorted by date and or seasons/episodes if its a show that has that. You have a one month limit from the time of airing to watch something before its deleted. Its not great if you're trying to record every episode of a season and then watch them all at once but for stuff that is in syndication its great. I have like 80 percent of all Simpsons episodes in my list since its in rotation so much on channels like FXX

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm looking for something that has a mobile app interface where I can get a good overview of what's connected and where. Any suggestions for an alternative then?

ASUS has an app that does that, and tells you how much bandwidth they are all using. The router I have is linked in my post from earlier and works with the app, but many of their other routers will work with the app too.

Was really looking for a 2-1 unit. Thoughts on this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJ7Y7MU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I read at the 2.4 level the more congestion you have, if your modem has more channels it's better?

Looks like a new and upgraded version of the one Comcast leases, it would be a lot better than what you have that's for sure. I always default to 5ghz if my devices support it, things run smoother and faster and is better for streaming video over wifi.

Vue is really starting to piss me off.

In my workshop, watching a baseball game. End the stream, close up shop, come inside and continue watching. Only issue is, it keeps wanting to automatically put me back where I was, and I can't get to the live portion. I'll fast forward to current, it will load, then three seconds later take me back to half an hour ago.

I've reset the Roku, gone in and out of the app, everything that I can think of. Now it's 35 minutes old.

WTF

Found a setting in the guide that allowed it to play live. Get your shit together.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Sling has no DVR option that I'm aware of. Vue has cloud DVR. You don't record specific episodes or programs. You just add shows to your favorite list and then any episode of the show that airs on any channel is recorded, sorted by date and or seasons/episodes if its a show that has that. You have a one month limit from the time of airing to watch something before its deleted. Its not great if you're trying to record every episode of a season and then watch them all at once but for stuff that is in syndication its great. I have like 80 percent of all Simpsons episodes in my list since its in rotation so much on channels like FXX
Thank you so much, this was super helpful! Honestly I'll probably just stick with Sling Blue. It's $25 a month and has everything I need right now. However I think maybe in a few months I'll switch to PlayStation Vue, when I have more funds on hand.

dLMN8R

Ok can someone link me to a simple comparison that just shows Sling Blue vs. Sling Orange, or Vue Core vs. Vue Access?

Really annoying how all of these sites just plaster a boatload of logos and force you to parse it yourself.

I just want to see a simple side-by-side view of each channel that each plan offers.

Also, has anyone confirmed yet which tier of Playstation Vue you need to get the NFL Network?

dLMN8R

Are there any extended trials going on for Hulu right now? I know the Windows Store had a deal for a 2-month trial last month but that looks like it ended. Best I can find is a 1-week trial.

dLMN8R

Sorry for the spam in this thread, but is Hulu serious with this shit?

I read around online that The Americans season 4 is on Hulu. Awesome! Finally time to activate that free trial.

But wait, FX and FXX shows are only available to cable subscribers who authenticate with Hulu? Are they fucking serious? What's the point of that?

Ugh, what a god damned mess.

HStallion

I read around online that The Americans season 4 is on Hulu. Awesome! Finally time to activate that free trial.

But wait, FX and FXX shows are only available to cable subscribers who authenticate with Hulu? Are they fucking serious? What's the point of that?

Cable gonna cable sadly. Yeah certain shows and channels can be convoluted messes depending on what service you use.

dskillzhtown

Wut? That is crazy. I guess if you have Vue you would be able to see it? Hulu has constantly made decisions that puzzle the hell out of me.

Lomax

You know, I really enjoy the PS Vue service, but it's pretty annoying that for whatever reason I've had to reactivate my Roku at least once a week.

dskillzhtown

If you get ps vue, will that allow you to use the mtv to anywhere app?

Yes. Sorry for the delay in the answer.

You know, I really enjoy the PS Vue service, but it's pretty annoying that for whatever reason I've had to reactivate my Roku at least once a week.

Weird. Is it a stick or a box? I have the 2016 version of the Roku Stick and only had to activate it once.

Lomax

Weird. Is it a stick or a box? I have the 2016 version of the Roku Stick and only had to activate it once.

It's a stick that is plugged into the wall so it never gets turned off, but I've had to do an activation code at least once a week since I got it last month. Dunno if maybe it's because of my isp or what, but it's definitely annoying. I haven't had to reauthorize anything else on it, just PS Vue.

Edit: and now it's done it for the second time today, and it won't even give me a code due to an "internal server error." Starting to make me question Sony's ability to provide consistent service. Or makes me wonder if suddenlink is blocking it.

dskillzhtown

It's a stick that is plugged into the wall so it never gets turned off, but I've had to do an activation code at least once a week since I got it last month. Dunno if maybe it's because of my isp or what, but it's definitely annoying. I haven't had to reauthorize anything else on it, just PS Vue.

Edit: and now it's done it for the second time today, and it won't even give me a code due to an "internal server error." Starting to make me question Sony's ability to provide consistent service. Or makes me wonder if suddenlink is blocking it.

I think it might have more to do with your ISP than anything else. I have 2 sticks in my house, and only had to activate them once. I can only go with my experience and the fact I am not seeing this reported in big numbers though. Either way, I am sure it is frustrating. Maybe try a firestick or another Roku stick to see if the same thing happens.

Lomax

I think it might have more to do with your ISP than anything else. I have 2 sticks in my house, and only had to activate them once. I can only go with my experience and the fact I am not seeing this reported in big numbers though. Either way, I am sure it is frustrating. Maybe try a firestick or another Roku stick to see if the same thing happens.

Yeah, sounds like the IP address is changing regularly.

Yeah I guess that's the most likely explanation. Still annoying though, none of the other services de-authorize so rapidly and it would be nice if it just had a login option instead.

Semi-related edit: Haven't seen it mentioned here, but NFL Network is now in the core package (second tier, the one they call the sports package) and NFL Redzone is available as an addon for $40 for the whole season, which is a good bit more than the $5 a month services like Verizon offer it for.

Related edit: Anyone know if there is a Roku app for NFL Mobile? And if I use Verizon to get redzone would I be able to use my credentials to watch it on that app?

woodchuck

For SlingTv, is there a limit on how many times I can switch packages from blue to orange and vice verse?

The only channels I care about are ESPN, NBC sports, and fox sports. ESPN is in orange and the other two are blue. It's 40$ for the combined package while orange is 20$ and blue is 25.

Since I'll be watching only one sports game at a time, could switch from orange to blue and back depending on the game I want to watch? They make it super easy to switch packages. I had blue in August for the Olympics but switched to orange this morning for college football. The switch occurs pretty much instantly.

And if I want to watch a game on Blue tomorrow, can I just switch tomorrow?

For SlingTv, is there a limit on how many times I can switch packages from blue to orange and vice verse?

The only channels I care about are ESPN, NBC sports, and fox sports. ESPN is in orange and the other two are blue. It's 40$ for the combined package while orange is 20$ and blue is 25.

Since I'll be watching only one sports game at a time, could switch from orange to blue and back depending on the game I want to watch? They make it super easy to switch packages. I had blue in August for the Olympics but switched to orange this morning for college football. The switch occurs pretty much instantly.

And if I want to watch a game on Blue tomorrow, can I just switch tomorrow?
You might be the first person to try it. Let us know.

Clydefrog

I think I'm finally ready to cut the cord. PS Vue looks like everything I wanted at a savings of about $70+ a month.

I have a PS3 and planned to use that to stream it. Is that a good idea or should I buy something else like Amazon Fire TV/Roku?

God, Ive never been so excited to call Time Warner and tell them I'm done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom