• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cord Cutting |OT| Now With 50% More Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think I'm finally ready to cut the cord. PS Vue looks like everything I wanted at a savings of about $70+ a month.

I have a PS3 and planned to use that to stream it. Is that a good idea or should I buy something else like Amazon Fire TV/Roku?

God, Ive never been so excited to call Time Warner and tell them I'm done!

Don't use the PS3. It does not handle VUE well at all. The PS4 seems to be the best version of it but Fire TV boxes work very well and are comparable to the PS4.

Schlep

Just picked this up from Best Buy today. Love the idea of not having to juggle two remotes on my living room TV anymore (bedroom is a Roku TV). I wish Roku would build remotes that have this functionality built in.

XJrmD6z.jpg

Amagon

Just picked this up from Best Buy today. Love the idea of not having to juggle two remotes on my living room TV anymore (bedroom is a Roku TV). I wish Roku would build remotes that have this functionality built in.

XJrmD6z.jpg
That's pretty nifty.

Really thinking about cord cutting with Shaw and join PS Vue. I'm in Canada though.

Anyone here using it successfully through a VPN service?

redlegs87

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger and getting a amazon fire tv and PS Vue subscription. I currently have TWC with Extreme internet 30 down 5 up and will be paying around $148 once I return a DVR that I thought a family member had done for me. I just need to double check with TWC what my price will be for internet without having the TV as I think it's a bundle but don't really remember.

Ryck

Going on 15 months and counting since I cut the cord. Never going back. Netflix, Hulu, OTA, HBO NOW, so many better options. I am lucky enough to live in a spot where I get all the networks OTA, between that and an Apple Tv in the living room and a Chromecast in the bedroom I am super good.

Cool thread guys.

toneroni

Have been wanting to cut the cord. Have Netflix, Amazon, sisters HBOgo and barely watch live TV except for sports. How do you guys handle sports? Lots of football OTA but what about bball?

Have been wanting to cut the cord. Have Netflix, Amazon, sisters HBOgo and barely watch live TV except for sports. How do you guys handle sports? Lots of football OTA but what about bball?

Both Sling and Vue have ESPN and TNT so you'll get a decent selection of NBA and college games. They both have Fox Sports for regional teams as well in addition to regional college networks. (Big Ten Network in my case)

For me with Vue I can see all of the Pacers games through Fox Sports Midwest and between OTA CBS, Big Ten Network and ESPN I get all of my IU basketball games too.

It's great.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

It depends on what sports you watch. I'm big on baseball, hockey, basketball, and soccer. I can get a good amount, if not all of that from using Vue and antenna channels. Most of the teams I watch are covered this way.

Football isn't too difficult either, with NBC Sports, Twitter, Vue, and from what I've read, CBS on demand. There's a plethora of sports options.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

If you get Vue, you have access to all the ESPNs, Fox Sports, and access to their associated streaming apps/sites. You also get TNT/TBS as well. I have gotten NBA League Pass for a few years now, and will do the same this year. That covers basketball for me.

Also, the Vue Android app has been updated! Now it sees all of the Chromecasts in your home when you attempt to stream. It is glorious now that it is working correctly.

redlegs87

Did the math recently. Cutting TV and keeping internet will make my bill $79.99 and if I do PS Vue core package I can be at $115 which is just shy of shaving $30 a month from my expenditures for entertainment. I'd be connecting an Amazon Fire Tv through wi-fi and my speeds are 35 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up will that be good enough to use Vue without any kind of buffering issue?

Have more live local channels been added in Atlanta recently? I don't remember if FOX5 or CBS46 were available before but they are now.

ABC and NBC are still on demand only.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can anyone tell what, if any, taxes are added on top of the Sling/Vue packages?

And what is the difference on Vue between ABC and ABC On Demand? Does it mean all the various shows would be available On Demand, but not the local streaming channel with local news, weather...? I see nothing but OnDemand versions here in Nashville.

Just moved over the weekend into a new house. When the Time Warner guy came by to hook up internet, told him to run the cleanest single data line into the house he could, no splitters, purely data. Told him any cabling in the house that wasn't his he can rip out (house had Uverse and Time Warner at points in the past) or cut off.

guy looked like Blake from Workaholics, gave me a nod, and went to work. pulled out hundreds of feet of old cable. Ran one line into my house directly from the street box to my TV. Glorious.

Mounted my Antenna on the roof, ran my single antenna feed line to the same spot, plugged it into my Tablo 4-tuner DVR.

Now I've got clean data lines and OTA on every Roku in my house over wifi, no cable outlets anywhere.

Drakken

I'd love to save money by cancelling my Comcast cable plan and going with Vue, but I still need high-speed Internet (I work from home), and since that's expensive by itself, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it. Any tips?

dskillzhtown

I'd love to save money by cancelling my Comcast cable plan and going with Vue, but I still need high-speed Internet (I work from home), and since that's expensive by itself, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it. Any tips?

You have to do the math for your situation. For me, the "bundle" AT&T was proposing still was more expensive than having high speed internet from them and getting Vue. You have to factor in the fact you will get a bigger bump in data use as well, so think about any data cap that may be in place.

If it isn't going to save you any money and you are fine with your current service, no need to switch. I think the majority who switched to Vue or Sling or just using Netflix made the change for financial reasons. In your case, the smart financial move is to stay where you are at.

Clockwork

I initially subscribed to the idea of cord cutting, but my personal experience is there really isn't a significant savings.

For the longest time I have had internet through Time Warner. My 30mb service came to approximately $84 a month with taxes/fees. My prior apartment had cable tv included but we purchased a house in April and have been using OTA since then.

With fall tv shows starting or about to start I decided I didn't want to miss them so I tried the streaming route with both PS Vue and also Sling. PS Vue I found to be horribly priced depending on package and the experience varies depending on your method of accessing it. On my PS4 it worked great (but no locals) but on my Roku it was just awful. Sling was great price wise but didn't offer the same features that cable (with dvr) or PS Vue do.

In the end I cancelled the trials and called Time Warner. For roughly the same pricing as the best PS Vue package and my current internet I got 50mb internet, tv (with more channels, a whole home dvr, an hd box for the tv upstairs, and phone - not using it though).

I know results will vary but in my area I just didn't see any significant savings.

Schlep

I initially subscribed to the idea of cord cutting, but my personal experience is there really isn't a significant savings.
Cord cutting is really what you make of it. I'd argue that PS Vue isn't really cutting the cord, but it's certainly an option and sometimes may still be cheaper than subscribing to your local cable company.

Since Vue came on the scene, I've seen a bit of a transition in the term 'cord cutting' from internet + Netflix and/or Hulu + antenna to internet + Vue + Netflix + HBO Now, etc. Of course if you start trying to replicate the exact cable experience (or more), you're going to get closer to paying the same price.

aeolustl

So I was wondering that for ps vue, is it possible to watch on demand shows through their own channel app on Fire TV while out of home? For example, watch ABC shows on demand from the ABC app rather than the PS Vue app itself.

My mum and I were trying to save some money since I am the only one that watches live TV and she doesn't have much time to watch.

Schlep

Yes. With PS Vue, the app itself doesn't work outside of the house, but you get logins for all the various watch apps.

nitewulf

Have been using Sling for the past few months, mostly to watch the Premier League, pretty satisfied so far. I'm not a huge Live TV watcher and the Soccer broadcast quality is HD, it's not as good as cable but good enough.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I asked in the DirecTV Now thread, but this is probably a better place to get a response.

Do external apps count as one of your streams for these types of services? I'm wondering if there could be two TVs streaming through DirecTV Now plus a PC streaming on the ESPN site using the credentials, for example.

If they count against your streams, 2 streams might be a bit too limiting for my household.

I asked in the DirecTV Now thread, but this is probably a better place to get a response.

Do external apps count as one of your streams for these types of services? I'm wondering if there could be two TVs streaming through DirecTV Now plus a PC streaming on the ESPN site using the credentials, for example.

If they count against your streams, 2 streams might be a bit too limiting for my household.
For Vue, yes. They give you 5 simultaneous streams, but I think the five actually comprise 2 device and 3 mobile or something like that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think you misunderstood what he was asking. Does it count WatchESPN as one of those streams?

Yeah, this is what I was asking. On one hand it seems like a stream is a stream, if you are using the credentials they probably track that and treat it as a stream in use. On the other, it seems possible that they might just base it on access to the main Sling/Vue/DTV Now app.

Spasm

I've been a SlingTV subscriber since day 1. That's 658 days of completely shit performance on the Xbox One client. I've been hovering my finger over the cancel button for nearly the entire time.

Well, I got the latest update today (been out of town, mighta came out earlier), and this has been the first day that it has performed flawlessly. No buffering. No time skips. No super-low resolution. No spontaneous jumping back. No restarting of the stream from the beginning... Just solid, the way it should have always been, performance.

Lomax

Sling with DVR would be a lot more tempting, especially since PS Vue lost so many channels. But I'm still hoping Google and Hulu's new services next year drive the market some.

dLMN8R

All I want is a reliable service that can seamlessly replace the over-the-air stuff I have now.

I currently use an over-the-air antenna into a TV Tuner into a home theater PC, and then I use NextPVR for all my recording/playback.

But while I get a pretty good signal in Seattle, it's hit and miss. For example, since the CW broadcast station seems to be in the opposite direction of my house from everything else, I can basically only get a clear CW signal if I sacrifice the signal for everything else.

I did try an amplifier but that didn't help since the original signal I'm getting is too weak - it's not a factor of the cord I'm using I guess.

Given all this, Sling seems like it'll eventually be the best once DVR support is there, but I hope that the local networks don't restrict how DVR works.

One comment I read recently was that the PlayStation Vue service doesn't allow you to extend DVR recordings of live broadcasts - so if a football game goes 30-minutes long, is it really impossible to record that?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
All I want is a reliable service that can seamlessly replace the over-the-air stuff I have now.

I currently use an over-the-air antenna into a TV Tuner into a home theater PC, and then I use NextPVR for all my recording/playback.

But while I get a pretty good signal in Seattle, it's hit and miss. For example, since the CW broadcast station seems to be in the opposite direction of my house from everything else, I can basically only get a clear CW signal if I sacrifice the signal for everything else.

I did try an amplifier but that didn't help since the original signal I'm getting is too weak - it's not a factor of the cord I'm using I guess.

Given all this, Sling seems like it'll eventually be the best once DVR support is there, but I hope that the local networks don't restrict how DVR works.

One comment I read recently was that the PlayStation Vue service doesn't allow you to extend DVR recordings of live broadcasts - so if a football game goes 30-minutes long, is it really impossible to record that?

Right now yes. I should also point out that the Sling DVR seems to have some caveats to it from what I've read. There isn't a time limit but it seems a lot of the content itself is limited depending what it is and where it airs.

dskillzhtown

I've been a SlingTV subscriber since day 1. That's 658 days of completely shit performance on the Xbox One client. I've been hovering my finger over the cancel button for nearly the entire time.

Well, I got the latest update today (been out of town, mighta came out earlier), and this has been the first day that it has performed flawlessly. No buffering. No time skips. No super-low resolution. No spontaneous jumping back. No restarting of the stream from the beginning... Just solid, the way it should have always been, performance.

That is a long time to put up with that kind of performance.

I've been casually looking around at various cord-cutting options, but it still hasn't gotten to that 'a la carte' level that I would prefer.

Here's the thing. I need two channels: Bravo TV and MSNBC. My wife loves the reality shows, and I would like to have one live cable news channel. What is our cheapest route?

$35/month seems to be the best I can do with something like PSVue. Is there any other options for just getting a couple of cable channels?

Schlep

Sling has both of those for $30 (Sling Blue + News Extra). The base Blue has CNN if you can live without MSNBC.

I've been casually looking around at various cord-cutting options, but it still hasn't gotten to that 'a la carte' level that I would prefer.

Here's the thing. I need two channels: Bravo TV and MSNBC. My wife loves the reality shows, and I would like to have one live cable news channel. What is our cheapest route?

$35/month seems to be the best I can do with something like PSVue. Is there any other options for just getting a couple of cable channels?

If you're looking for the cheapest route, I think one of Sling's packages has those channels for $25/month.

Schlep

Sling currently has DVR in beta. They're giving 100 hours as part of the base packages. Assumption is you'll be able to add on more space. Unlike Vue, your content is permanent, instead of 28 days.

Oh, and you cannot DVR the Disney owned channels.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Sling currently has DVR in beta. They're giving 100 hours as part of the base packages. Assumption is you'll be able to add on more space. Unlike Vue, your content is permanent, instead of 28 days.

Oh, and you cannot DVR the Disney owned channels.

jesus christ, this is just ridiculous.

Schlep

It's Disney trying to stop the bleeding. In the end, it only affects the ESPN and Disney channels as well as Freeform. I don't have any of them on Sling Blue.

Redd

I have 3 Roku 3s set up and a ps4 with the $35 Vue sports package. Also have a leaf antenna for CBS sports because fuck paying $6 for football. Saves me over $80 a month and I get every game I had with cable. I don't miss it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom