• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core-A Gaming: Consequences of Reducing the Skill Gap (in fighting games)

Tizoc

There's a difference between being able to do a combo, and being able to do it every single time, under immense pressure, I think.

The better you get in a game, the more second nature becomes the stuff you do in them. This applies to combos as well, regardless of complexity. Case in point, combos in GG or BB for example.

Baleoce

I hate that a lot of players can't play how they would like to. Daigo was struggling when playing defensively, and then did well when he out-crazied his opponent. You'd never see a Dieminion type of player thriving in this season of the game.

petran79

Banned
The mechanics of basketball aren't particularly obtuse, it's actually pretty straightforward. And someone who isn't in peak shape might be a better player than an athlete who has never played basketball, so yeah. Execution in fighting games =/= physical fitness.

I wouldnt want to play against an athlete with no idea about baskeball.He would chop,punch and smack me with fouls. He'd also complain that he plays clean and would refuse any travelling or double dribble.I'd let him win to save me the trouble.

WarRock

Video games isn't a sport. Sorry to hurt your ego.

I'm all for games of physical skill being deterministic. You can't just overcome a physical barrier. If I'm 5' 10" 140 I'll never, ever beat LBJ in a basketball game since I can't over come 6'10" 250 or whatever he is(and he's a basketball genius). But video games are just a game. You think the best Monopoly player has more than a 10% edge against a good amateur? It's not that complex - anyone can learn the strategies in, and I'm being generous, a couple of days. You just have to handle the variance and it's better for the game.
Both are games before being sports.

Also, no game has to the obligation of being for everybody. I have friends who can't play first person games at all (motion sickness). So if they like the setting and concepts of Titanfall, do the next one should have to become third person just so they can play it?
I can't wrap my head around micromanaging in RTS. So the entire genre should ditch this aspect?

Video games isn't a sport. Sorry to hurt your ego.

I'm all for games of physical skill being deterministic. You can't just overcome a physical barrier. If I'm 5' 10" 140 I'll never, ever beat LBJ in a basketball game since I can't over come 6'10" 250 or whatever he is(and he's a basketball genius). But video games are just a game. You think the best Monopoly player has more than a 10% edge against a good amateur? It's not that complex - anyone can learn the strategies in, and I'm being generous, a couple of days. You just have to handle the variance and it's better for the game.

But that's what makes video games compelling as a competition. The physical barriers to professional-level play are insignificant to nonexistent, making the mantra of "anybody can compete" such a big draw. And that's what makes the basketball fallacy ad absurdum exceptionally ludicrous.

You know what? I'm tired of the absurd execution requirements of basketball. The game should only be about outplaying your opponent; if you can do that, the points should be automatic. Every shot should hit the basket, guaranteed. I don't have time to grind thousands of shots in training mode to get them right, nobody has time for that! All these nerds like Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan wasted their whole life in training mode and now they want to ruin the game for everyone, just because they're salty. Just because they feel their precious game is threatened! Fuck that crap. I won't play basketball anymore unless they make it more accessible and remove arbitrary execution barriers that benefit no one aside from the few nerds that are playing the game since forever.

lmao spot on

But that's what makes video games compelling as a competition. The physical barriers to professional-level play are insignificant to nonexistent, making the mantra of "anybody can compete" such a big draw. And that's what makes the basketball fallacy ad absurdum exceptionally ludicrous.

I actually think people understate the physical barriers to Fighting Games or did we forget there are entire threads are dedicated to people not knowing how to Fireball. Just like some people for the life of them can't play Basketball.

The video wasn't solely about execution but that's still a major part of fighting games, they are the most physically​ taxing video games outside of anything motion control based.

Really enjoyed it, though my one criticism is that he brings up the dichotomy of high skill / high luck games and high skill / low luck games, but doesn't really make further commentary on them, instead focusing on the comparison between high skill / low luck and low skill / high luck.

I was actually thinking about this post yesterday, and I THINK Mario Kart and Kart Racing games with pickups can fall into the high-skill/high luck paradigm.

Armaly

I was actually thinking about this post yesterday, and I THINK Mario Kart and Kart Racing games with pickups can fall into the high-skill/high luck paradigm.

Man, last time I played 8 I was in first place and got my bananas ghosted then blue shelled and triple red shelled.

FACE

Banned
I'm not against removing ultra difficult combos with multiple 1f links that were very common in SF IV. IIRC, SF2,SF3,SFA3 didn't had that focus on difficult combos with 1f links either.

All those games have fairly difficult combos that you'll see all the time in high level play. SF2 has the ToD stuff and comboing into super is actually quite difficult. SF3 has the crazy juggle combos for a lot of characters and A3 the V-Combos, some of which are harder than pretty much anything in SF4.

And don't forget that in a lot of ways SF4 is way easier than those games. The reversal window was increased(to the point where it is trivially easy to get reversals in sf4) and not only did they make buffering inputs for combos easier, they've also added plenty of shortcuts.

Quebaz

I actually think people understate the physical barriers to Fighting Games or did we forget there are entire threads are dedicated to people not knowing how to Fireball. Just like some people for the life of them can't play Basketball.

The video wasn't solely about execution but that's still a major part of fighting games, they are the most physically​ taxing video games outside of anything motion control based.

You roll your thumb from down to foward then press a button, is it really that hard? I think the issue comes from the games not knowing how to explain it properly, then again, I initially learned it on a keyboard.

You roll your thumb from down to foward then press a button, is it really that hard? I think the issue comes from the games not knowing how to explain it properly, then again, I initially learned it on a keyboard.

I mean I used to trivialize it myself but there are people who can't even do them at all. It's just how people are man.

Anne

I'm not against removing ultra difficult combos with multiple 1f links that were very common in SF IV. IIRC, SF2,SF3,SFA3 didn't had that focus on difficult combos with 1f links either.

"1f link" combos in SF4 were way easier than doing the tighter combos in any of the games you just listed. Go try and do some of the links and custom combos from those games consistently. It's not easy, and if you want to play certain characters in those games you need to do some wild shit.

Like you can get most of your players to figure out 1f link E Ryu combos or something. Try getting people to consistently land ToDs in SF2 or charge partition Urien/Oro stuff in 3S. Willing to bet you'd have more success with SF4 combos.

I don't mind 1f links not coming back btw. Just pointing out that they really weren't the devil people made them out to be, especially since they came with hyperly stable combo structure compared to older SF games.

I'm going to put this here will put some of the combo execution talk in perspective.

A world where Tokido and Bonchan are "literally who"s

Only elitists have time to watch comp vids!

I guess that's why we don't see many high skill/high luck games :D

Roguelikes, I'd guess?

I mean I used to trivialize it myself but there are people who can't even do them at all. It's just how people are man.

I mentioned this; sometimes it's physical, sometimes mental, sometimes emotional. It's important to notice the differences.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Also mention the plethora of defensive options available in Injustice 2 if you're gonna draw a comparison. But I guess that's just not worth mentioning.

These discussions always boil down to people thinking about super moves and combos and vapor locking on just that. Defense isn't even on the radar.

Timeaisis

The consequence is a better game. You don't have to memorize input to play chess.

People that think that way just want to push away potential competitors. Quote me.

The consequence is a better game. You don't have to memorize input to play chess.

People that think that way just want to push away potential competitors. Quote me.
You do have to memorize input to play an instrument though, and each one has a different feel and timing, on top of knowing when and where to "move".

Tripon

Professional Chess is actually a physical and mental endurance. You pratice years, even decades to perform at the highest level. You have to memorize centuries of developed strategies in order to implement and counter said strategies. Matches can potentially last hours and even days, and then you're supposed to play a whole series against one person over days and weeks in order to prove you're the better player. You're on a 1 minute timer in professional chess, and to top it off, you're supposed to have the maturity to know if and when you're lost to actually give up and say the words "I quit".

You can't even get people in the FGC to shake people hands sometimes after a loss.

Here's a 3 hour online match with commentators on a chess match.

In one of the most exciting online chess events ever, the world's top two players led their teams in a thrilling match for the first PRO Chess League title. Will Magnus Carlsen's Gnomes or Wesley So's Arch Bishops come out on top? Enjoy this full broadcast replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clHj65Vwrys

yyr

Don't think SFV is more fun to watch compare to SF4.
Everyone use same combo, same few characters, if that's balanced around spectator point of view, they are doing poor job.

This.

The SFV finals broadcasted on ESPN last year were.

so.

boring.

I figured I'd give it another chance once the game had been out a while longer but I'm not optimistic.

This ain't chess tho...

All these comparisons are ass regardless of the point being made. Fighting games are fighting games. Tired of this "look at how X does it" as if outside validation was needed.

Nobody who knows their game and loves their game wants to push away potential competitors. It's not like that at all.

Games demanding certain things from people isn't even pushing them away. This is those people not being interested in the first place, so nothing is lost.

Chindogg

Fantastic video.

I understand if anyone likes SFV, but I do implore everyone to at least try other games.

If anyone reading this saw Combo Breaker this weekend, it shows that games of varying skill levels can be just as exciting as one with a skill ceiling.

WarRock

You didn't memorize the difference between the horse movement and the bishop movement? What about en passant or castling? Everybody is born knowing that, right? =P

Dexterity barriers are not physical barriers. I'm not saying there's zero physical barrier to fighting games, but the amount of conditioning you need to do to become competitive is far less.

Daouzin

you memorized what all your pieces do.

It's also a silly statement because high level chess players actually have tons and tons of plays memorized. Starting moves are just a small portion of what they have memorized.

I love how so many people post in eSports related threads that have no business talking about them.

Infinite

It's also a silly statement because high level chess players actually have tons and tons of plays memorized. Starting moves are just a small portion of what they have memorized.

I love how so many people post in eSports related threads that have no business talking about them.
I don't think memorizing plays and strategies is equivalent to memorizing the inputs of a specific combo, friend.

That's the internet for you. Everyone has a voice, for better or worse. I can go into a car mechanics related thread and just type away right now, despite me barely knowing how to pump gas.

NeonBlack

I don't think memorizing plays and strategies is equivalent to memorizing the inputs of a specific combo, friend.

How so? Both are situational and rely on your own play-style. You can't just move the chess piece anywhere for your set up, you have to remember how it moves and where your opponent is.

Chindogg

this is why umvc3 is the best fg of the last decade. nrs games just cant compete, stick to the single player stuff

Eeeh IMO Marvel 3 takes it too far in the opposite direction where random shit can lead into combos that actively prevent the opponent from playing from long periods of time.

Sure it's rewarding for a lot of players and looks great but when you're on the other end of that all you can do is shrug and say "Marvel happened" and hope it doesn't happen the next game.

This is just my opinion btw.

The game is being balanced in a way that seems rather arbitrary but is actually making the game more of a spectacle that leads to easy big damage, but no way for the opposing player to challenge.

There are multiple factors involved which include high input lag, purposefully making moves unreactable (Guile's EX boom, Balrog's EX Dash punch/Dash low) and removing defensive options.

They nerfed DPs HEAVILY in season 2 to the point where almost no one uses DPs anymore, heck pro players don't even risk using DPs to AA sometimes because their jump in might be deep enough to hit them out of it. The reward for landing a DP is still the same but the loss of having a bad DP can be 40-60% of your life bar, stun and corner carry depending on the situation.

They nerfed V-Reversals, the one consistent way for everyone to escape pressure. They're now garbage for most characters and for most situations.

The game essentially revolves way too heavily around comebacks and mixups to the point where they don't matter. Too many times we've seen Balrog land one overhead into V-Trigger and win the match off of that damage and the almost unreactable mixup that follows. Too many times we've seen Ibuki lose the match, get V-Trigger, land a hit and then create 50/50 mixups which leads to her winning the match. Same for Laura. Same for Ken.

The neutral situation is literally just "whoever hits long range CC button, wins" and "whoever gets the jumpin, wins". In both those situations, you're still safe if the attempt gets blocked so just reset and try again.

There's more points as well but I'm feeling tired because of Ramadan and I hope somebody else can continue the list.

All valid :)

NathanS

At the end of the day if getting people online is a fighting games goal then I think the solution is to A) have really good matchmaking and B) get the narrative out there that the match making is good.

Because the idea that you will have to spend a maybe a month of playing and not just losing every fight in that time, but losing horribly will keep people away. Maybe that's looking for "instant gratification" but its also a high barrier. Its been noted that team games let you blame your loses on others, but they also let you take part in a win even if what you where doing was very simple and didn't really have a lot to do with it, and those can help you not become discouraged well you learn the game. The other comparison I often see is fighting games to learning an instrument, but you learn an instrument in private with only a teacher or classmates you ideally trust to see you when you suck the worst.

Now to be fair a big issue is that a good hunk of good matchmaking is having a big enough pool of players to choose from. Which makes it a bit of a chicken-or-egg situation.

Top Bottom