• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic horror, and the fear of the unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to love zombie fiction when I was younger. Still kind of do, and World War Z is probably my favorite in the genre, but once you've read a few different takes, you've mostly read them all

Horror can be dulled by familiarity. Even the genre mainstays - the vampire, the werewolf, the demon and ghosts, and so on - can lose some of their bite due to how ingrained they are in our culture and pop culture. For every vampire flicks like Stakeland, The Strain, or 30 Days of Night, that does something a bit different, there are dozens more works where you know the rules, understand what the heroes have to do, how they have to fight back, simply due to being familiar with the genre.

But cosmic horror, and all that genre entails...nothing prepares you for that.

Now while cosmic horror and Lovecraftian horror tend to be used interchangeably, personally I tend to think of the former as more general unknown/unexplainable phenomenons while the latter is a bit more specific: cults, Cthulhu, etc.

In some ways, the horrors in the genre feel more base and primal. Take for example, Stephen King/Joe Hill's novella In The Tall Grass, and how it takes the experience of getting lost and the incomprehensible spatial behavior of its setting to create unease and terror, a sense of wrongness. It goes back to the most basic thought process when consuming media: what would I do in that situation? We can never know what it's like to be hunted by vampires or fight off waves of zombies, but getting lost, questioning yourself and your mentality, struggling to understand something...that's something any person can understand.

Even more than that, it's the unknown element of cosmic horror that can make it scarier than the more traditional. As humans, we crave a why. A reason. An explanation. But often in cosmic horror, these is no why. Whatever phenomenon just is. and the characters can only react and try to understand what's happening from their own limited perspective, as seen in works such as Stephen King's The Mist and IT, House of Leaves, Junji Ito's Uzumaki, and various SCP entries (I particularly enjoy this one). It can be anything. A piece of land. A house. A room. A painting. An idea

You nailed the appeal of the Fear of the Unknown and it's generally what I look for in Horror media. Currently I haven't seen a piece of media embody this concept better than the Twilight Zone episode: "And When the Sky Was Opened".

Neptonic

Reading some Junji Ito is terrifying in a way I've never felt before. His worlds always feel like hope is doomed to die in them. You never get an explanation of why or how, so it's just constant anxiety while reading and trying to comprehend the forces at work.

Hjod

Banned
I love Cosmic Horror, thats what I love most in Bloodborne, but I've yet to read any good CH books, except for Stephen Kings books.

I would love some recommendations.

Finaj

This is why I can't get into most horror.

In almost every universe of fiction, I need to have the rules of said universe established and never broken.

However, horror is a genre that revels in never even establishing rules, and when it does they are often broken.

I understand it is needed for horror to work, but it infuriates me from a storytelling perspective.

zeemumu

The "beyond all human comprehension" creatures in cosmic horror were always the most interesting part to me. It's partially the fear of the unknown and partially the fact that descriptions like that usually go hand in hand with body horror.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One of the secret best Lovecraft stories is called the Outsider because you aren't really sure what is going on even after the reveal.

fear of the unkown is the best and what makes http://www.scp-wiki.net/ one of my top favorite sources for horror
My favorite audio drama podcast, The Magnus Archives, is excellent at this. These stories are often from a limited perspective, so there isn't really an explanation for why things happen or what the happenings are. We're not trying to solve what's going like in some other horror podcasts. The people telling the stories aren't figuring what happened through ancient texts or folklore. These eerie things just happen and we're left in the dark just like those people. Because of that, the story in Magnus Archives have such a great sense of creepy unknown.

I love Cosmic Horror, thats what I love most in Bloodborne, but I've yet to read any good CH books, except for Stephen Kings books.

I would love some recommendations.
Lovcraft's works of course; the Penguin collections are good.

Laird Barron's short story anthologies

House of Leaves

Nick Cutter's The Deep

The novella I mentioned, In The Tall Grass

Uzumaki is probably the best cosmic horror I've read outside of Lovecraft.

He has some amazing short stories outside of Uzumaki as well. "The Thing that Drifted Ashore" is pretty great even though it doesn't have any kind of downer apocalyptic ending. More the discovery of a strange creature and the notion that the creatures that lie deep in the darkness at the bottom of the ocean are so alien and incomprehensible that it would drive people mad. Almost like entering a whole new horrific dimension. And the bottom of the ocean really is a scary ass place with weird and horrific looking creatures.

KonradLaw

I love cosmic horror. Not just classic cthulhu, but general the emptiness and infinite space that's ought to be filled with dread we can't imagine. The 2001's monolith evokes more primal fear than most monsters from regular horror movies
200_s.gif

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
My favorite audio drama podcast, The Magnus Archives, is excellent at this. These stories are often from a limited perspective, so there isn't really an explanation for why things happen or what the happenings are. We're not trying to solve what's going like in some other horror podcasts. The people telling the stories aren't figuring what happened through ancient texts or folklore. These eerie things just happen and we're left in the dark just like those people. Because of that, the story in Magnus Archives have such a great sense of creepy unknown.

yeah i gave them a listen a while ago gotta catch up but the one about the coffin and the one about the guy falling into the infinite sky were really good

Hjod

Banned

House of Leaves

Nick Cutter's The Deep

Cheers, I will check it out :).

Annihilation by VanderMeer is a good starter. It's pretty short and reads quick.

I'm actually reading that one now, I bought all three of them. It's great :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You already namechecked Steven King, but his short story about the lady who takes the shortcuts was in that vein too and had a House of Leaves wrongness about it.

Edit: Mrs. Todd's Shortcut.

For anyone looking to dip their toes into cosmic horror, Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows" is an excellent starting point. A personal fav of HP Lovecraft.

71kvPE3.jpg

“When common objects in this way be come charged with the suggestion of horror, they stimulate the imagination far more than things of unusual appearance; and these bushes, crowding huddled about us, assumed for me in the darkness a bizarre grotesquerie of appearance that lent to them somehow the aspect of purposeful and living creatures. Their very ordinariness, I felt, masked what was malignant and hostile to us.”

There are places you can read it online, too. It's more a novella/short story, so it's a pretty quick read, too.

Creepy

I have a bunch of Junji Ito work, and the complete work of Lovecraft for that matter...

I'm not sure I've ever experienced "fear" from indulging in it though, It's absurd fiction... I mostly just think it's neat, interesting.
"I wonder where he's going with this... oh , he turned into a snail, ha!"

I just enjoy the imagery, though I do have a morbidly perverse disposition.

We have no need to fear the unknown, it will never affect us.
We will all die normal deaths that adhere to our own rules of time and space.

My actual fears are much more mundane, losing the person I love being the big one.

KonradLaw

I have a bunch of Junji Ito work, and the complete work of Lovecraft for that matter...

I'm not sure I've ever experienced "fear" from indulging in it though, It's absurd fiction... I mostly just think it's neat, interesting.
"I wonder where he's going with this... oh , he turned into a snail, ha!"

I just enjoy the imagery, though I do have a morbidly perverse disposition.

We have no need to fear the unknown, it will never affect us.
We will all die normal deaths that adhere to our own rules of time and space.

My actual fears are much more mundane, losing the person I love being the big one.
The interesting thing is that one of reasons horror is popular is that a lot of people feel completely opposite to you. Horror is exagarated, and fear in it helps to deal with much more ordinary real-life fears like the one you describe, because the horror has shown you it could be a lot worse.

Reading some Junji Ito is terrifying in a way I've never felt before. His worlds always feel like hope is doomed to die in them. You never get an explanation of why or how, so it's just constant anxiety while reading and trying to comprehend the forces at work.

Ugh, yeah.

I'll never forget some of the imagery in Spiral/Uzumaki.

I really like cosmic horror in general and sadly, by definition, it translates very poorly to movies/games.

In literature you can be vague and say that the character cannot comprehend what he has seen and his mind is broken, or something. In movies you can't just blur everything or have unknowable horrors always happen out of shot.

Mansions of Madness (the board game) is, in my opinion, a successful adaptation.

I'd kill for a good cosmic horror film, finally. Or even a long form TV series would be awesome, Innsmouth is perfect for one.

Still sad Del Toro's Mountains of Madness with Cruise missile got shitcanned because Fox, funnily enough, didn't think an R-rated big budget film would make money.

Ebris

House of Leaves

Nick Cutter's The Deep

MY MAN.

Have you read Swift to Chase yet? It goes outside of Barron's usual territory of Old Leech, but still manages to evoke the same fear of the unknown that his prior anthologies possessed. I need to find more authors that can reach the heights of dread I've felt reading Barron's stuff.

i-Lo

So the known knowns which are ingrained in the pop culture, the known unknowns like the eldritch enigmas found in Lovecraftian lore and the unknown unknowns which may well be beyond "entities" and pure space time aberrations that can interact with say people and can detrimentally affect their cognitive abilities.

Thanks for listing those books btw and I have yet to play Bloodborne but I have heard quite a bit of the game having elements of eldritch horrors of the cosmic kind (whatever that may mean).

Also can anyone explain what exactly is the purpose of the SCP website?

Wollan

Read all of H.P Lovecraft's work and love them but never read any Stephen King (though I attempted the first Dark Tower but I dropped it). Need to rectify.

I recommend the Reach trilogy which includes first book Annihilation.

I have no mouth and I must scream is sci-fi horror but it edges on the unimaginable.

Bloodborne is likely the best manifestation of cosmic horror I've seen in a game (while actually being a good game). It seems all Van Helsing for an outsider but it gradually sneaks in as you go along.

aeolist

Banned
I'd kill for a good cosmic horror film, finally. Or even a long form TV series would be awesome, Innsmouth is perfect for one.

Still sad Del Toro's Mountains of Madness with Cruise missile got shitcanned because Fox, funnily enough, didn't think an R-rated big budget film would make money.

the void was pretty low budget but i liked it a lot, felt like john carpenter meets CH themes

also i feel like there's some really good hard sci-fi books that fit this category well even though there's nothing supernatural, just the sense that there are immense unknowable amoral forces at large in the universe and there's basically nothing we can do about them.

AlexBasch

Yeah
despite I know that shit is gonna go south every fucking time, I just keep reading and waiting to see how he goes "welp, the main characters had a good run" before something really awful happens, like the at the end of Uzumaki.

Read all of H.P Lovecraft work and love them but never read any Stephen King (though I attempted the first Dark Tower but I dropped it). Need to rectify.

I recommend the Reach trilogy which includes first book Annihilation.

I have no mouth and I must scream is sci-fi horror but it edges on the unimaginable.

Bloodborne is likely the best manifestation of cosmic horror I've seen in a game (while actually being a good game). It seems all Van Helsing for an outsider but at gradually sneaks in as you go along.
You got to check out Stephen King's short stories. He delves into cosmic/Lovecraftian horror elements a lot.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

the foundation seeks out anything that would threaten the safety of life or the normalcy of life and contain it to try and hide it and try to understand it

the website itself is just a collection of community horror writers coming together to do some world building buy writing the current 1-3999 main scp entries (the anomalies themselves) and others coming to write short stories about the scp foundation universe

StoneFox

I think Silent Hill 2 invokes this a bit, which makes it a fantastic horror game. Sure, you can see what Pyramid Head represents symbolically in regards to James, but the game just drops him into the environment with you with no explanation, you cannot kill him, and there's no reasoning with him. The town itself is the horror (as it is different for every person who enters it), and it loses some of its inate interest when you find in other games that a cult was involved.

Can't wait til there's more movies dealing with cosmic horror, I absolutely love the idea of it and it's a shame current movies seem to be unaware that there's nothing scarier than not even knowing what the fuck you're supposed to be scared of. One perfect example of how modern cinema gets it wrong is The Conjuring 2. That's a pretty okay movie until you see that the demon at hand looks like Marilyn Manson dressing kinky and it just completely loses it. The Witch is a recent one that nearly got it right, but that movie is so slow paced that by the time you're supposed to be scared you're already deep asleep dreaming about Shub-Niggurath and just being all around more scared than you'd be over a fucking goat.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Umm, yea, I am still confused.

the website itself is just a collection of community horror writers coming together to do some world building buy writing the current 1-3999 main scp entries (the anomalies themselves) and others coming to write short stories about the scp foundation universe

StoneFox

Umm, yea, I am still confused.
It's a creative writing website.

In kayfabe, it's an organization that contains creatures, horrors and unexplainable (but usually dangerous) things to keep them locked away from the general public. The items contained ranges anywhere from a vending machine that can give you any drink inputted (anything from water to dark matter), a book that will give you a disease from whatever page you happen to read, to more sentient stuff like an unkillable giant lizard and a humanoid that just wants to jump scare people by always standing behind them.

Some SCPs are not contained within the facility itself, but are instead heavily guarded against the public like an infinite staircase.

W-00

I'd kill for a good cosmic horror film, finally.

If you're looking for something like Lovecraft, I can;t help you, but if you're open to a more general why-is-this-happening cosmic horror than I'd like to recommend the film Don't Blink. I've only watched it once, but it left an impression.

Creepy

It's just a wiki with thousands of short stories pertaining to the weird, the horrifying or the unexplained.

The SCP Foundation is a fictional organisation that Secures and Contains potentially dangerous phenomenon and Protects earth from them.

All of the stories are written in a similar format to appear as data logs of the various SCP foundation employees.

The purpose of it is to unsettle, amuse or otherwise entertain the reader.

i-Lo

A repository of eldritch artifacts that SCP contains and studies

Here are a few good ones, be sure to read the Personal Log and Timeline as well
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-184
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1733

Thanks. So what they read like is as if some government have captured these entities in a fictional world in a secret repository (remember that last scene from Indian Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark) for study.

Am I somewhat accurate in my assessment for the fictitious website and the reason for its existence?

It's a creative writing website.

In kayfabe, it's an organization that contains creatures, horrors and unexplainable (but usually dangerous) things to keep them locked away from the general public. The items contained ranges anywhere from a vending machine that can give you any drink inputted (anything from water to dark matter), a book that will give you a disease from whatever page you happen to read, to more sentient stuff like an unkillable giant lizard and a humanoid that just wants to jump scare people by always standing behind them.

Some SCPs are not contained within the facility itself, but are instead heavily guarded against the public like an infinite staircase.

It's just a wiki with thousands of short stories pertaining to the weird, the horrifying or the unexplained.

The SCP Foundation is a fictional organisation that Secures and Contains potentially dangerous phenomenon and Protects earth from them.

All of the stories are written in a similar format to appear as data logs of the various SCP foundation employees.

The purpose of it is to unsettle, amuse or otherwise entertain the reader.

Ah! Thanks a bunch.

N. By Stephen King is a great modern intro to the genre.

Lovecraft fan here, if you like his work, can also check out Clark Ashton Smith.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Thanks. So what they read like is as if some government have captured these entities in a fictional world in a secret repository (remember that last scene from Indian Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark) for study.

Am I somewhat accurate in my assessment for the fictitious website and the reason for its existence?

yes

Carn82

Yeah, King plays around with cosmic horror, and quite some stories are influenced by it. I think IT fits the narrative pretty well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

In The Mouth of Madness is the best Lovecraft inspired film.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I listen to the podcast Tanis, which I think sort of fits this theme. It's perhaps more of a mystery than horror, but definitely with aspects of this fear of the unknown, other worlds and dimensions, etc. It's cool.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
The Void (2016) is an interesting indie-experiment in the genre of cosmic horror. It's by no means a perfect movie and sometimes it's not even that great but it tackles the genre head-on with some sprinklings of practical-effect gore here and there.

It does have some great camera work and does a good job of evoking a constant sense of wrongness and dread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom