• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic horror, and the fear of the unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every since Bloodborne it's fascinated me.

Would love to read House of Leaves as I love Poe's Haunted but I don't know if I'm ready for it😰

Anung

Un Rama
I wish more movies and TV shows embraced cosmic horror. It's such a deep, untapped genre (subgenre) that Lovecraft really took to another level (was it a thing before H.P.L?). I wonder if it's just because the complexity of a lot of Cosmic Horror stories are just that -- too complex for casual audiences? I feel like the Dead Space series of games touched on Cosmic horror at times but it never really embraced it, Bloodborne was the first game that really did that imo; which I adore.

I still get upset thinking about that the At The Mountains Of Madness movie that was going to be made, Del Toro could have nailed it.

True Detective season 1 gave it a bash but didn't go far enough with it in my opinion.

Cptkrush

The suggestions in this thread so far have helped me build out a nice little reading list, thanks! Are there any good comic series or graphic novels that deal with cosmic horror? I love me a good cosmic horror story, and I love comics.

Would Jacob's Ladder apply here? The film features some...interesting horror imagery, I suppose you could argue it's because the main character is (ending spoilers)
stuck in purgatory, more or less,
but it's got that "fear of the unknown" atmosphere down. At least it felt that way to me.

mcz117chief

The suggestions in this thread so far have helped me build out a nice little reading list, thanks! Are there any good comic series or graphic novels that deal with cosmic horror? I love me a good cosmic horror story, and I love comics.

Hellstar Remina, it is really goofy but it is a great read. You will probably laugh all the way through but it is amazingly fun story about cosmic horrors. Also, watch Laokoon which I posted at the end of the 2nd page.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
Not sure if this counts as cosmic horror but I just recently read Stephen King's short story The Jaunt. It definitely has a Twilight Zone-ish feel to it.

It has just been fucking with me since I read it. It really tapped into my fear as a father that one of my kids could do something stupid because they were curious and didn't understand the consequences.

Carn82

I think my favorite take are the spatial terrors. You know, where space and time and physics just don't work as intended. Places bigger within than without, closed loops that drive you insane from being forever lost, endless hallways, doors to nowhere, architecture shifting and changing when it shouldn't, maps and compasses not working, walking in a straight line and ending up where you started. Or maybe that place doesn't want to you to leave, that it might have malignant sentience

There's something about a thing as solid as a building or piece of land changing like that, that slow pit-in-your-stomach realization of being lost magnified exponentially

I'm a big fan of Alastair Reynolds 'Revelation Space' series because of those kind of influences. It's scifi, but he isn't shy of some 'Lovecraftian' influences. Quite some dread sprinkled throughout.

Brakke

Banned

There's a comic book called "Nameless" that isn't bad. Some cool and weird art. If you didn't put Uzumaki on the list from this thread yet, definitely do that.

Anung

Un Rama
Is there a good collection of Lovecraft stories someone can point me to on Amazon? I'd like to read his work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0575081562/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492905843&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lovecraft+necronomicon&dpPl=1&dpID=416r2%2Bl0a-L&ref=plSrch

I grabbed this for a tenner like a decade ago. You can find loads of different collections. His work is in the public domain so you can also pick it up on kindle for nothing.

Some cracking audio books of his work out there too. The more lo-fi the better.

CHC

Recent movies I've seen that fit this:

- The Wailing
- Under The Skin
- Evolution (French film from 2015, on Netflix)

Not trying to be lazy by just listing titles, but I think it's often better to know less in these cases.

Would Jacob's Ladder apply here? The film features some...interesting horror imagery, I suppose you could argue it's because the main character is (ending spoilers)
stuck in purgatory, more or less,
but it's got that "fear of the unknown" atmosphere down. At least it felt that way to me.

I feel like in some ways Jacob's Ladder is sort of the opposite of cosmic horror. Aesthetically it fits, I suppose, but in the end things are kind of neatly wrapped up and explained. You're not really left with any enduring feeling that the world is profoundly different than you thought it was. I felt the same way about True Detective - certainly inspired by cosmic horror but ultimately compelled to give more closure than the genre usually does or should.

I do like both Jacob's Ladder and True Detective, but to me a crucial part of this whole (nebulous) genre is that it leaves you feeling sort of lost and empty at the end, like there is some key to making sense of it that is just out of reach.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0575081562/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492905843&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lovecraft+necronomicon&dpPl=1&dpID=416r2%2Bl0a-L&ref=plSrch

I grabbed this for a tenner like a decade ago. You can find loads of different collections. His work is in the public domain so you can also pick it up on kindle for nothing.

Book
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785834206/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kindle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4CBA50/?tag=neogaf0e-20

His stuff is in the public domain I believe, so you can find it for cheap with everything he ever wrote

Edit: beaten like someone who is not very fast at these sorts of things
Thanks! I knew it was public domain, but I like physical books to read.

Landford

Banned
slightly off topic, but has there been a SCP where they found a webpage
that is documenting the SCPs as soon as they are added?

Not sure if this counts as cosmic horror but I just recently read Stephen King's short story The Jaunt. It definitely has a Twilight Zone-ish feel to it.

It has just been fucking with me since I read it. It really tapped into my fear as a father that one of my kids could do something stupid because they were curious and didn't understand the consequences.

Yes! Same here I am trying to at least somewhat fathom what that would be like.

DodgerSan

That's the story I always reference when people ask "Have you ever been scared by a story?". Not scared per se, but definitely unsettled...

I remember enjoying "The House of Doors" by Brian Lumley (who has also written in the Cthulhu mythos).

Bold One

Spring (2014) is the last good cosmic/hpl film I can think of that's come out recently.

Anyone else has more suggestions? - nothing past 1999, please.

Syder

One of my favourite Eldritch horrors from fiction is the Idea of Evil from Berserk's Lost/Removed Chapter 83, mainly because of how overwhelming it is to discover there's levels above the seemingly limitless God Hand who are the primary antagonists of the series.
latest

”Reasons for pain. Reasons for sadness. Reasons for life. Reasons for death. Reasons why their lives were filled with suffering. Reasons why their deaths were absurd. They wanted reasons for the destiny that kept transcending their knowledge. And I produce those, as it is what I have been brought into existence for. I control fate."​
—The Idea of Evil explaining its creation
It was not published in either the Japanese or translated tankōbon at Kentaro Miura's request fearing that it might limit the freedom of the story development.

I love the meta-narrative that IoE is almost too grand an idea to even be canon anymore. The God Hand seem so in control and so powerful but really they're just pawns of a greater being that we may never even see in the long-running story again.
Q: Can we have some more details on why Episode 83 was left out of the collected volume? Do you consider the events in the episode to be canon? Can we expect to see or hear from the Idea of Evil again before the end of the series?

Miura: It's because I wanted Berserk's world to be revealed just that far, not any more than that. The appearance of god in the manga conclusively determines its range. I thought that might limit the freedom of the story development.

I myself don't know if the Idea of Evil will show up again in the manga or not.

I am so sick and tired of seeing Lovecraft/Cthulu everywhere. Reading Grant Morrison's Nameless was refreshing (if not confusing), for presenting a cosmic horror narrative that didn't hew to Lovecraft tropes.

Gorger

I have that one, but I like this one better

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0871404532/?tag=neogaf0e-20

nomis

I've loved this genre for ages. Lovecraft made me appreciate the English language in ways school never did. That said, I really came here to post this:

https://youtu.be/axMbZ7eGHoA

One of the best shorts about cosmic horror I've ever seen. :)

Quoting so this doesn't get lost in the thread, fucking hilarious

Spit take when he started talking about the non euclidian geometry hahaha

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I think my favorite take are the spatial terrors. You know, where space and time and physics just don't work as intended. Places bigger within than without, closed loops that drive you insane from being forever lost, endless hallways, doors to nowhere, architecture shifting and changing when it shouldn't, maps and compasses not working, walking in a straight line and ending up where you started. Or maybe that place doesn't want to you to leave, that it might have malignant sentience

There's something about a thing as solid as a building or piece of land changing like that, that slow pit-in-your-stomach realization of being lost magnified exponentially

The French horror mini-series Beyond The Walls delves into that concept

Nice, I finally got a brand of threads :p
This is the most enchanting aspect of Cosmic Horror for me. I've never really thought of House of Leaves as Cosmic Horror before​ but I totally get it. The basic concept of the house
being bigger on the inside than outside
kinda woke something within me. What a magical book.

Arkage

Banned
Lovcraft's works of course; the Penguin collections are good.

Laird Barron's short story anthologies

House of Leaves

Nick Cutter's The Deep

The novella I mentioned, In The Tall Grass

I'll check out this list, but I have to say I was disappointed with House of Leaves. I loved it for the first half, but by the second half I was losing focus and interest. I think it was trying to be a bit too gimmicky, and a bit too raunchy, for no apparent payoff. Granted cosmic horror really isn't about a payoff per say, but maybe the book was too long for it's own good.

But yea, I love this thread. Sub'ed.

Not that I would totally consider Alien "cosmic horror," that movie remains my favorite horror movie just due to the fact that space is so vast and confusing that you can never know what to find, and to see a horrific monster trapped on a spacecraft with you is quite frankly terrifying.

Also I love the Mist (the movie) for being so terrifying in the fact that I had no idea what to expect (as I had never read the book).

Syder

Not that I would totally consider Alien "cosmic horror," that movie remains my favorite horror movie just due to the fact that space is so vast and confusing that you can never know what to find, and to see a horrific monster trapped on a spacecraft with you is quite frankly terrifying.
You could argue that as the Space Jockeys/Engineers appear in Alien that as the beings above the main antagonist(s), The Xenomorph, they would count as a form of unknowable cosmic horror. Even though, we see in Prometheus that The Engineers are far from immortal or all-powerful, they are creators of humans (and Xenomorphs) and their 'black goo' stuff has the power to create terrifying forms of life from pretty much nothing. They also view humans as a forgotten experiment to dispose of without much thought.

Since no one has mentioned him, check out Thomas Ligotti's short story collection, Songs of a Dead Dreamer, which is really good. Ligotti is one of the major inspirations for True Detective's Rust Cole character as well.

Aske

I'd kill for a good cosmic horror film, finally. Or even a long form TV series would be awesome, Innsmouth is perfect for one.

This exists. It's called CTHULHU, and was released in 2007. It was bashed by Lovecraft/horror fans because it's a modern reinterpretation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth with fresh and - at the time - challenging dramatic personal themes that mirror the cosmic horror. It's an objectively superb film in the vein of The Witch that deserves a great deal more love.

Plenty of excellent recommendations in this thread. I'll add Banshee Chapter and Mr. Jones.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my favorite bits of The Deathgate Cycle are in the Labyrinth which is a magical sentient prison dimension that went insane and became unspeakably fucked up.

I honestly find "cosmic horror" to be the least impactful and least scary of any kind. Partially because it's so abstract, partially because most of it reeks of undeserved self-importance, and partially because of my worldview about what matters in the world/universe.

Not to tout myself but I have a thread about the novel I'm writing.

It's the first in a trilogy of novels dealing with existentialism, lovecraftian horror, and cosmic horror as well as mental illness. Each story is self contained, in different periods, differing styles of prose.

The Tartarus Syndrome is coming this summer, and I hope you guys will love it or even hate it. Whatever, if you had a reaction to it I think I've succeeded on some front.

Picture Perfect is a classic Clive barker/Stephen king style yarn, set in a haunted house in Bangor, Maine. Coming Fall 2017.

Third book, with a lengthy title to boot is The Haunter of The Dark & The Clockwork Horror. A classic lovecraftian tale told in anthological fashion, while being a nightmarish view into the horrors of turn of the century War, specifically the Great War. Coming 2018.

The plans for the future, 2018 and beyond(should the world hold together):

The Bureau of Existential Threat. PREVENTING DISASTERS FOR TOMORROWS, TOMORROW, ALL THE TIME, coming 2019. Featuring Time Lincoln.
A compendium of prototypes, short stories old and new, released for free.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Alan Moore of Watchmen fame has a new series that is wrapping up or may even be finished already called Providence and is his take on Lovecraftion weird fiction and puts a lot of twists on the tried and true material and even deals with a lot of the racist shit in his writing.

.JayZii

Banned
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown" -- H.P. Lovecraft

I've read all of Lovecraft, and enjoy his work, but it's not nearly as laser focused on what people now describe as "Lovecraftian" as most people seem to think. A lot of later authors picked up the ball and ran with it, but when things get too on-the-nose, tentacle-y, or obsessed with explaining their cosmology, I lose interest in the genre.

From H.P.'s work though, I would recommend The Music of Eric Zann, The Horror at Martin's Beach, and The Night Ocean for those who like his work but haven't ventured beyond Cthulhu and Innsmouth. Something older the OP might like would be The Willows by Algernon Blackwood which has that wrongness in nature vibe, was one of Lovecraft's favorite stories, and clearly an influence on his work.

The H.P Lovecraft Literary Podcast covered all of his stories and then moved on to late 19th and early to mid 20th century weird fiction and horror fiction. I'd recommend that to people who are into this genre and don't mind older stories.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
When i think about it the best comic horror in the Lovecraftian sense ive seen is probably Noroi. You have a completely alien psychic old god eldritch abomination, a detective trying to figure out these paranormal mysteries that range from the big city to tiny rural villages, to out of their mind whack job cultists trying to accomplish a goal thats horrifying beyond imagination, to a feeling of complete dread and that the universe is just fucked.

edit:
Also the Midnight entity from Doctor Who totally counts btw.

Syder

Novella is very similar to the movie, but movie's ending is waaaay different
I think the adaptation is better than the novella, mainly because of the ending. Probably one of the most affecting movie endings I've ever seen, also the reveal of that
giant monster
was astonishing.

Novella is very similar to the movie, but movie's ending is waaaay different
Stephen King absolutely loves the movie ending too. Thematically, I prefer the novella's ending, but the movie's ending is so dark and fucked up that you can't not appreciate its audacity

Every since Bloodborne it's fascinated me.

Would love to read House of Leaves as I love Poe's Haunted but I don't know if I'm ready for it😰

House of Leaves is legitimately the only book that I had to set aside for a bit because it freaked me out too much. No spoilers below that you wouldn't get from the dust jacket, but I'll tag anyway.

It's premise is so unsettling from the outset, a house has a closet that is impossibly large. While the TARDIS is the same in theory, the closet in House of Leaves is infinitely more freaky, because when they find it, it's only bigger by an inch. Argh, thinking about it still makes me shiver.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
What I want people to take away from this is just how damned special House of Leaves is. It isn't just a book, it's an experience. I really, really need to read it again.

Luminaire

What I want people to take away from this is just how damned special House of Leaves is. It isn't just a book, it's an experience. I really, really need to read it again.

I've never read it, but was recommended it by a friend who...has a poor track record with recommendations. Maybe I'll give it look this time.

Also just bought the Uzumaki collection thing on Amazon for like $12.

Anung

Un Rama
Alan Moore of Watchmen fame has a new series that is wrapping up or may even be finished already called Providence and is his take on Lovecraftion weird fiction and puts a lot of twists on the tried and true material and even deals with a lot of the racist shit in his writing.

I'm really enjoying this the only bad thing is waiting for the hardcovers to actually come out over here.

His original Lovecraftian comic Neonomicon is really good. It brings a lot of the sexually repressed side of Lovecrafts work to the forefront...with disturbing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom