• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic horror, and the fear of the unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Fear of the unknown?

91bldT8CbtL.jpg

This is AMAZING. It may have already been mentioned in this thread but if not, READ THIS NOW.

aravuus

Fear of the unknown?

91bldT8CbtL.jpg

This is AMAZING. It may have already been mentioned in this thread but if not, READ THIS NOW.

Damn, 16 bucks for Kindle, three bucks more than the physical version (???).

Whatever, I shouldn't be buying so many books anyway. I'll get it when it's a bit cheaper.

Danielsan

Loving this thread. Already added a ton of suggestions to my Goodreads 'to read' list.
Have to admit that I have yet to read any of Lovecraft's books and am not too familiar with cosmic horror outside of Bloodborne, Eternal Darkness and things I've picked up through osmosis. Kind of shameful, given that I'm a big horror fan. I've tried to read 'At the Mountains of Madness' once. But I found it a challenging read and gave up quickly as couldn't get in a nice reading flow. English isn't my native language and I simply spend too much time looking up meanings of words. I will definitely try at some point though.

Luminaire

Loving this thread. Already added a ton of suggestions to my Goodreads 'to read' list.
Have to admit that I have yet to read any of Lovecraft's books and am not too familiar with cosmic horror outside of Bloodborne, Eternal Darkness and things I've picked up through osmosis. Kind of shameful, given that I'm a big horror fan. I've tried to read 'At the Mountains of Madness' once. But I found it a challenging read and gave up quickly as couldn't get in a nice reading flow. English isn't my native language and I simply spend too much time looking up meanings of words. I will definitely try at some point though.
Check out the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast!

It's truly great and they digest and discuss the stories, have wonderful readers do passages (and some full stories), and they deep dive into what's going on in the stories. It's a very charming podcast with sweet, funny, and thoughtful moments that can help you get a modern grasp on the stories. Plus it's in audio form so you can listen while working or driving. Afterwards, you can always check out the stories themselves and be a bit more prepared to dig into Lovecrafts writing style.

Elandyll

Banned
Since I started reading this thread, I went through The Deep and In the Tall Grass.

Good stuff.

Edit: haven't read it yet but Acolytes of Cthulhu should be next, bought it at B&N as an impulse.
Hope it's good.

Could you describe this any further?
Think the sensibilities of original Grimm tales, with more horror overtones, with gorgeous art and clever use of text and panel structure to create atmosphere and tell the stories

Basically if you've played Little Nightmares recently, that kind of folktale/nightmare vibe

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's weird fiction, but I thought I'd mention the game Soul Sacrifice for Vita. The lore in that game is full of a fucked up world, body horror, fucked up stories, and an eldritch artifact that appears to grant people's "wishes".

Trouble

Banned
I just finished reading
Revival
by Stephen King and it veers hard into Dante-esque cosmic horror in the 3rd act.

Yeah, that and some others there were weird as all hell, but very good. Definitely checking Through The Woods at some point, hopefully soon.
I love her style. It's reminsicent of that soft Darwyn Cooke or Brooke A. Allen (Lumberjanes) aesthetic, but peels back that veneer to reveal grotesque skin-crawling terrifying horror beneath

And her use of color is amazing

through-the-woods-book-review-pic-04-by-casey-carlisle.jpg

Trojita

Here is one of the excerpts from Soul Sacrifice.

This is for the origin story behind the Harpy.

There was once a noblewoman of monstrous proportion. Formerly slender of frame, an incident occurred that changed her forever...

A broken heart.

Grief-stricken, she turned to food to plug the hole in her heart. And as her appetite grew, so did her size.

One day, she left her mansion to sate her glut, as was her custom. Her knees ached under her ballooning weight. Walking was now, alas, something of a struggle.

On arriving at a nearby market, she saw her favorite fruit at a stall and toddled over.

Just as she arrived, the vendor stood up, and their eyes met.

On that day, at the stall, she fell in love once more. Thereafter, she visited every day.

Her desire for affection only whetted her appetite even more. But even as she ate, she became sensitive about her size. "How could anyone love this profound rotundity?!"

But the more her worries ate away at her, the more she had to eat.

And then, one day without warning, their love was rent asunder.

The street vendor was nowhere to be found. Inquiring among the other street vendors, she learned that he'd moved to a far off town.

Utterly distraught, she returned to her mansion and wept.

She yearned to see him, but her excess encumbrance ruled out long-distance travel.

Soon, exhausted from weeping, she heard a strange voice and was greeted by the vision of a chalice.

"To fulfill your desire, you must make an offering."

The voice kindled hope in her heart and she obeyed its instructions. She offered up her lardy surplus.

Her blubbery corpulence flowed like tallow and reformed as mighty wings. With a flap, she darted into the sky like a bird.

In no time at all, she arrived at her beloved's new town.

Searching from on high, she saw him. but he was not alone. The vendor was married and living happily with his new wife.

She stared in blank amazement. Once again, her heart had been broken.

Why?

This was the worst she could have possibly imagined. And yet...

She felt strangely unmoved.

How could she feel so calm?

"I thought myself in love with that man. And yet...nothing."

She gazed at the street vendor from afar. Neither his looks nor status appealed one bit.

Still, she couldn't deny the powerful spark of emotion the day they first met.

Then it occurred to her.

It wasn't love that she had felt. Certainly, it was an intense desire, but it was something altogether different.

Come to think of it, she had fallen for him upon seeing her favorite fruit...

"Doesn't he look scrumptious..."

She had craved his flesh so terribly she thought herself in love.

As the street vendor pleaded for his life, she gurgled, "My, what an exquisite treat you shall be."

She swallowed him whole. But it was not enough to satisfy her hunger. She proceeded to devour everything he had. She ate his wife. She ate his livestock. She even at his home and furnishings.

She gorged and gorged until sharp pains ran through her stomach and she fainted.

In her unconscious state, the voice whispered to her once more. Deep within her heart, she screamed of her insatiable hunger.

"MORE... I want to eat MORE!"

Again, her flesh melted away and her stomach opened into a gaping hole.

Now, with this hole, she would be able to expel anything she ate immediately.

Nothing would settle in her stomach. She would never be full again.

She could relish the pleasure of eating eternally and continually.

She couldn't have been happier. Though her humanity was forfeit, hers was a fitting conclusion.

It is said that she looks down from the sky, even now. Scouring the land for a deliciously handsome man to pounce upon.

And the world of Soul Sacrifice is full of similar abominations >_>

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared counts now that I think about it. There are clear forces that go way beyond the characters perception and at some points it involves body horror. I love how weird it gets.

This is in one episode:

UBAXDhL.png

Creepy all around.

kingofrod

Just finished Matthew Bartlett's Gateways to Abomination - the actual story blurb is about a witch cult luring people into the woods using weird broadcasts on a radio station, but it felt more like a series of vignettes of people dealing with absolutely insane situations that are impossible to fathom without any real knowledge of any witchery (witchdom?)

51N5A-TTGfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If you like the thought of two goat people keeping up with a car on a highway only to crash and have the carnage explained in excruciating detail, then you'll love this book.

Also, this thread is absolutely amazing. I already picked up Fragile Dreams by Phillip Fracassi to read next, and I've got a ton of things added to my Amazon wish list now. I wonder if we can get this thread added to the "Horror" subsection on the monthly "What are you reading" threads? I don't want this one to die!

I just finished reading
Revival
by Stephen King and it veers hard into Dante-esque cosmic horror in the 3rd act.

Man, I wanted to like this, and it has all the earmarks of the genre but tried to be more grounded, but I just don't know if I liked the overall final reveals much. There was never really any buildup for them in the worldbuilding itself, so they don't feel connected to the universe the way the book says they are.

I wouldnt count it as cosmic horror though I loved the overall strangeness of it! Recommended!

I would, if House of Leaves counts.

Also, this thread is absolutely amazing. I already picked up Fragile Dreams by Phillip Fracassi to read next, and I've got a ton of things added to my Amazon wish list now. I wonder if we can get this thread added to the "Horror" subsection on the monthly "What are you reading" threads? I don't want this one to die!
I'll bump it periodically, don't worry

Anyway, Gateways to Abomination sounds like my kind of horror. Ebook is only $2.99 on Kindle

Just finished up The Fisherman by John Langan. Pretty strong cosmic, fishy stuff. Very well written with a powerful sense of word choice.

Explains stuff a bit much for my taste but one of the better entries into the genre I've read this year.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Uzumaki is repulsive.

It has been a while since reading or viewing a work of fiction can evoke a physical reaction out of me, but reading through it there's a sense of rejection in an instinctual level within me towards all the crazy shit being displayed in there. It's sickening.

I don't mean that it's not good work, it's just... I don't know. Urgh.

I can usually tolerate Junji's other work, but for some reason this one evoke a much stronger reaction in me.

Cptkrush

Started "The Fold" after finishing the excellent "14". It moves a lot faster than "14" so I'm already halfway through it, and I'm enjoying it just as much. The connections between the books have been fun so far, but I'm wondering if it'll go past the shared character and insect phenomenon or just end there.

Really looking forward to tackling the rest of my backlog as well, I might move Uzumaki to the top after staring at it all week since it arrived.

Trojita

I'm not sure if I should fuck with The Fisherman book. I like flowing bodies of water.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Just finished Matthew Bartlett's Gateways to Abomination - the actual story blurb is about a witch cult luring people into the woods using weird broadcasts on a radio station, but it felt more like a series of vignettes of people dealing with absolutely insane situations that are impossible to fathom without any real knowledge of any witchery (witchdom?)

If you like the thought of two goat people keeping up with a car on a highway only to crash and have the carnage explained in excruciating detail, then you'll love this book.

This has been on my amazon list for a while now, I might just order it this week!

Since we are on the topic of fairy tales on this page - I am deeply saddened by the lack of Arthur Machen in this thread. Along with Algernon Blackwood, he is one of the most influential writers of "cosmic horror" due to works like 'The Great God Pan" and "The White People" (influenced Lovecraft).

Penguin%2Bcover.jpg

"The Great God Pan" is a cosmic horror classic in every sense. It involves a medical experiment to sever part of a young woman's brain so she may see past the veils of reality, to see the "Great God Pan". A decadent horror story that concerns the metaphysical and cosmic, though it's not my favorite Machen its easy to see how much it influenced Lovecraft's ideas.

77a9f4b7e6dae4a0548b91167b2a0f1c.jpg

"The White People", however, is my most favorite story of all time. Most of the story is from the diary of a young girl's diary, and through her enigmatic monologue she describes encounters with the occult in the eerie, mystical English countryside outside of her home. Strange places, strange people, strange rituals, strange beings, the atmosphere is untouchable. To me, there is no other story that evokes not only the fear of the unknown horror, but the awe or wonder of the unknown as well.

It is also arguably the greatest example of "folk horror" (though its so much more than that) - if you like The Wickerman or Pan's Labyrinth, this story is for you.

EDIT:
Here is one of the excerpts from Soul Sacrifice.

This is for the origin story behind the Harpy.

And the world of Soul Sacrifice is full of similar abominations >_>

Soul Sacrifice is an amazing game, yeah. Each of the enemies has a morbid fairy tale about how they became monsters.

Trojita

I just read the first two parts and didn't care for it at all.

I'm not sure if I should fuck with The Fisherman book. I like flowing bodies of water.

It's more melancholy than straight up dreadful.

I still enjoy the sea, after reading it anyway.

EDIT:

Working on a collection of short stories by Laird Barron, Swift to Chase. Just knocked out the first one before work. Wasn't terribly impressed, but I had heard that this collection in particular was very good, and interconnected the stories almost as though they were parts of a novel, so I'm excited to push on.

LaneDS

Finished Uzumaki and enjoyed it. Bought Gyo, which I'm guessing is not actually relevant to the thread topic but I'm looking forward to that. Uzumaki ended up being not as scary as I expected it to be (early on it held promise) but it always remaining an interesting story with some occasionally unsettling imagery.

.JayZii

Banned
Since we are on the topic of fairy tales on this page - I am deeply saddened by the lack of Arthur Machen in this thread. Along with Algernon Blackwood, he is one of the most influential writers of "cosmic horror" due to works like 'The Great God Pan" and "The White People" (influenced Lovecraft).

Penguin%2Bcover.jpg

"The Great God Pan" is a cosmic horror classic in every sense. It involves a medical experiment to sever part of a young woman's brain so she may see past the veils of reality, to see the "Great God Pan". A decadent horror story that concerns the metaphysical and cosmic, though it's not my favorite Machen its easy to see how much it influenced Lovecraft's ideas.

77a9f4b7e6dae4a0548b91167b2a0f1c.jpg

"The White People", however, is my most favorite story of all time. Most of the story is from the diary of a young girl's diary, and through her enigmatic monologue she describes encounters with the occult in the eerie, mystical English countryside outside of her home. Strange places, strange people, strange rituals, strange beings, the atmosphere is untouchable. To me, there is no other story that evokes not only the fear of the unknown horror, but the awe or wonder of the unknown as well.

It is also arguably the greatest example of "folk horror" (though its so much more than that) - if you like The Wickerman or Pan's Labyrinth, this story is for you.
I agree. The White People was eerie and great. The Great God Pan, while having interesting influential ideas and a some creepy implications, didn't really grab me once I got around to reading it.

Nice thread. Love me some cosmic horror. I've read a bunch of Lovecraft's work over the years, and always loved when elements of the genre showed up in works. I love how the Reapers were presented in ME 1 and how Bloodborne slowly descended from horror of the gothic kind to eldritch horror. For Lovecraft, I've read most of his "main" stories: Dunwitch, Innsmouth, Call of Cthulhu, Charles Dexter Ward, Rats in the Walls, and was thinking of going through his entire body of work.

Anybody got any recommendations for good complete anthologies of Lovecraft's work? I really want something I can go through from cover and cover.

kingofrod

Yeah you're right - I don't know why I forgot about Machen. I actually have that first book you posted - I need to read "the White People" right now!

kingofrod

What's actually funny about this is that The Fisherman made me want to go fishing after not having been in years!

I was talking about this book the other day with a coworker - the great thing about it is that its so well written, some of the crazy stuff snuck up on me. I was just so happy to be reading something that felt like more than just plot that I had to go back and re-read a few parts once things get really crazy. Give this one a shot - I think you'd like it!

Cptkrush

Finished "Th Fold" and loved it. The references to "14" were perfect, and I think I appreciate them more reading them back to back than I would have if I had to wait 3 years between the two. I really enjoy Peter Cline's take on the Lovecraftian side of cosmic horror. I truly hope he's working on another book in that universe. His bat shit crazy ending sequences have me smiling ear to ear like an insane person, while also making me incredibly anxious for the protagonists. Just really fun books, definitely read them if you haven't.

So what next: House of Leaves, Revival, The Fisherman, The Tall Grass, or Uzumaki? I'm struggling to pick one since I'm going to read "It" after I finish one of the above, and likely won't return to the others until that marathon ends.

.JayZii

Banned
Nice thread. Love me some cosmic horror. I've read a bunch of Lovecraft's work over the years, and always loved when elements of the genre showed up in works. I love how the Reapers were presented in ME 1 and how Bloodborne slowly descended from horror of the gothic kind to eldritch horror. For Lovecraft, I've read most of his "main" stories: Dunwitch, Innsmouth, Call of Cthulhu, Charles Dexter Ward, Rats in the Walls, and was thinking of going through his entire body of work.

Anybody got any recommendations for good complete anthologies of Lovecraft's work? I really want something I can go through from cover and cover.
I ended up reading a lot of his stories online like a plebeian, but I would highly recommend The Horror at Martin's Beach, The Temple, The Music of Erich Zann, and The Colour out of Space if you haven't yet read them. Those are my favorites, and I think someone who liked Bloodborne would probably appreciate them too.

The Night Ocean is also a good one if you're in the mood for something more subtle and atmospheric.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

The Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales books are pretty comprehensive of his works.

The best compendiums of Lovecraft's works are the Penguin Classics branded collections, they also have a lot of appendice stuff by ST Joshi who is considered a Lovecraft Scholar.

somedevil

Not sure for a book but for Kindle this one has all of his written works but does include his collaboration stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUIFYQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I agree. The White People was eerie and great. The Great God Pan, while having interesting influential ideas and a some creepy implications, didn't really grab me once I got around to reading it.
In The Great God Pan, the structure of the story feels too drawn out and it beats around the bush more than it should: what is going on behind the curtains is far more interesting, but Machen shows us too little of it until the end.

Yep, The White People is incredible. The experience of reading it felt like a strange dream.
Absolutely! I haven't read many other stories that are quite able to spur such feelings of wonder and mystery that I get when I read the White People - and I read a lot of stuff in the same vein. Not even any of Lovecraft's work can top it for me.

Yeah you're right - I don't know why I forgot about Machen. I actually have that first book you posted - I need to read "the White People" right now!
Hope you enjoy it. There's more to Machen besides "The White People" and "The Great God Pan" too.

He also wrote a handful of stories about the "little people", which stem from his belief and interest of local folklore. They are essentially his grotesque, nightmarish version of fairy folk who live underground in the wilds of the British Isles and commit various horrors with eldritch powers. Very creepy stuff.

• Out of the Earth
  • The Shining Pyramid
  • The Novel of the Black Seal

I also would recommend "The Inmost Light", and "The Novel of the White Powder", two stories of the occult with the former having more cosmic implications. Machen also wrote stories about Christian mysticism that are rather interesting: like "The Great Return". Interesting enough, his work involving the divine often evokes just as much fear of the unknown as his stories on witchcraft and sorcery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom