• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

JC Lately

Welp, the patch downloaded while I was asleep, and now three of my four saves don't work, and on the fourth one, the insight appears to be out of sync (Alyssa mentions having to save the hostages, even though that has already happened and I was about to start Chapter 2.). Guess I'll just restart, was only like an hour in anyway.

Skulldead

Ps4 patch is not up yet ? i've finish Nier automata yesterday was about to start persona 5, but if you release the patch today, i clearly buying it.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to pick it up on Steam! Please get Steam Cloud going though, I really use it a lot. Hopefully I'll get the chance to play a little tonight. It's downloading now

garath

This game is phenomenal. Amirox hit it on the head.

Can someone give a quick rundown of hyper again though? I don't think I'm using it or something lol.

Only an hour in so haven't hit a wall because of it yet.

BluWacky

This game is phenomenal. Amirox hit it on the head.

Can someone give a quick rundown of hyper again though? I don't think I'm using it or something lol.

You build up hyper charge each time you use a move (indicated by the blue boxes on the character portraits). When all the boxes are full, you go into "hyper" mode (yellow glow around your character), and your moves do extra damage for that turn. The boxes then empty, and the amount of charge required to reach hyper mode then goes up by one.

Gaffi

You build up hyper charge each time you use a move (indicated by the blue boxes on the character portraits). When all the boxes are full, you go into "hyper" mode (yellow glow around your character), and your moves do extra damage for that turn. The boxes then empty, and the amount of charge required to reach hyper mode then goes up by one.
How about the style stuff? As far as I understand it's a passive boost to dmg/healing that continuously increases for both you and enemies? Is there a cap to this? Highest I've gotten is like 110%

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is this a RPG, JRPG, or SJWRPG?

C9LelT3XoAMLh4f.jpg
Hahahahaha oh dear. Can't imagine being such a worthless, pathetic manchild that gets offended so easily by the existence of Girls Doing Things Too.

I've played them all. The level which this game takes it to is genuinely beyond. This is a game where you will be learning most of your skills and when to utilize them, and using your items and making real choices about which to bring into battle. In the other games you can do these things and they provide a level of depth, but you don't need to. In this game if you're playing on a higher difficulty, you must do these things and if you don't you will die.

Whereas I could play Lunar II and Chrono Trigger using only certain skills and certain characters and ignoring the rest and using only certain items and ignoring the rest.

And in random battles, it's no competition. Even in repeat battles I choose from the menu I find myself altering my strategy to try to gain a faster result, because even simple alterations of what you bring into battle can drastically change the landscape.

Awesome. Reminds me of Skyborn on Hard difficulty. I rarely found useless or mediocre abilities in that game, and every party member had a unique set of skills that were almost all useful at some point. I really enjoyed that game (more than I thought I would), and CSH looks to be even better.

What difficultly level are you playing, btw? Heroine or Super Spy?

Hobbun

Just called home and had my roommate check if “Insight” was in the main menu, and it’s not there. I also had him check under my “Notifications” and saw no indication of new updates (patch) downloaded.

So is the patch not live yet?

Conezays

Just called home and had my roommate check if “Insight” was in the main menu, and it’s not there. I also had him check under my “Notifications” and saw no indication of new updates (patch) downloaded.

I believe Robert was referring to the in-game menu. I have played 1.01 since 6 PM PST last night.

The PS4 patch went live about 15 hours ago. If it's not showing up for you, I believe you can go to the game icon and press Options and force the system to check for updates.

This game is blowing me away. One of my biggest frustrations with retro send ups of games gone by is when they rest entirely on how much of your nostalgic bone they tickle. They may be competent, but they're generally pale imitations of the games they're pretending to be, and so in the end it barely scratches the itch.

Cosmic Star Heroine is a different beast entirely. Yes, there are references, and yes it is a love letter to various jRPGs of yore - but that's where it ends. It playfully toys with genre conventions, subverting trope after trope whilst creating a battle system that in my view creates a dynamic that is akin to what it would have been like if the traditional jRPG genre had continued to be popular and had more developers iterating on it during the SNES years.

It successfully tackles one of the biggest problems with jRPGs in their traditional form - lots of tedious random battles lacking any strategy, and a billion abilities where you usually end up ignoring 2/3 of them in order to fall back on your "end game moves." This game has you carefully analyzing your load outs, considering which ability to use next, when to rest, how to best coordinate with your team mates. Even the item usage is more strategic, making you decide what you need most in any given battle and capitalizing on it appropriately.

If it were that alone, it'd be one of the most engaging retro jRPGs I've played, but this is the total package. The music is clearly inspired by the Sci-Funk of the 80s and early 90s, with in my view clear send ups to everything from Blade Runner to Labyrinth. The visuals are delightful, with little details peppered around the environment and homages to Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star being most evident. It's consistently entertaining to explore every environment that Zeboyd has created.

I'm about ten hours in now, and this is genuinely in my top ten for games for the year. That's a year with Persona 5, Horizon: Zero Dawn, NiOh, NiER. I haven't played Zelda, but I think it would still make my top ten. This game is what I've been looking for, scratches every itch.

Really, phenomenal work Robert.

Please, GAF, I'm low on money. Stop pushing me to buy this game.

Forget it, too late now.

jb1234

Any word on achievements? I don't want to start the game until they're implemented. I'm kinda an achievement nut, haha.

Ricker

Oh man, I feel so tricked now. To think I supported this game:

Phantasy_Star_box.jpg

Who knew we had SJW female empowerment agendas back in 1987.

lol...I remember bringing the manual of this game to work for a week and reading it in the toilet,among other places lol...the king.

Going to squeeze some play in between ME A and MSG5 today...

Voorhees

lol...I remember bringing the manual of this game to work for a week and reading it in the toilet,among other places lol...the king.

Going to squeeze some play in between ME A and MSG5 today...

I remember getting stuck trying to find the MIrror Shield for Odin and calling their hotline, 1-800-USA-SEGA and they sent me a 70 page printed strategy guide for the game in an envelope that was probably a half inch thick.

I remember getting stuck trying to find the MIrror Shield for Odin and calling their hotline, 1-800-USA-SEGA and they sent me a 70 page printed strategy guide for the game in an envelope that was probably a half inch thick.

For some reason, I spent hours looking for the Dungeon Key. You know, the one the old man in Eppi talks about:

"I've hidden a dungeon key in the warehouse in the outskirts of Camineet."

Maybe because Phantasy Star I was my first RPG, I could never imagine that a new item could suddenly appear in a place I had already been to just because someone talked about it ^_^

Bladelaw

Got my key last night.

In case anyone else is having trouble with getting their code off Humble remember it's tied to your kickstarter e-mail which isn't necessarily your main Humble account e-mail. I had to check my other account to find they key which I was able to claim without tying that e-mail to Humble.

Haven't started yet because I punched the code in right before bed but it's next on my list after Yakuza 0.

How "kid friendly" is this game? Is this something I could play with my 4 year old while reading the story to her?

Nah, I don't drink, but after we finally got the PS4 patch working, I spent some time playing dress up with one of my daughters and then watched some Community before going to bed at a reasonable time. :)

Ha. Sounds like my life lately, daughter time and then Community with the wife, talk about coincidence, just about to finish season 1. Well deserved, this game is great so far.

Hobbun

I believe Robert was referring to the in-game menu. I have played 1.01 since 6 PM PST last night.

Yes, the ‘in-game' menu would be the ”New Game, Spy Directory" and ”Credits". There is no option for ”Insight".

He did check and the game and it says it has the most current update. The version number is 1.01. So I guess it is the current one, but why doesn't it say ”Insight" then on the in-game menu?

Edit: I'm mixing title menu up with in-game menu. Haven't started the game yet because I wanted to make sure I had the right version before I save.

Kilau

Gold Member
Yes, the ‘in-game’ menu would be the “New Game, Spy Directory” and “Credits”. There is no option for “Insight”.

He did check and the game and it says it has the most current update. The version number is 1.01. So I guess it is the current one, but why doesn’t it say “Insight” then on the in-game menu?

Edit: I’m mixing title menu up with in-game menu. Haven’t started the game yet because I wanted to make sure I had the right version before I save.

It's the actual menu when you are playing the game, like with items and equip.

Not the title menu.

Edit: missed your edit

Amir0x

Banned
I was just reading that one metacritic user review that gave it a five, and since he stupidly got key info wrong just for the record:

When you clear a screen of enemies, select "Battle" from your menu to fight more battles on that screen. That is the way you "grind" in this game.

If you are playing on super spy you will need to remember this :p

Jeffrey

Nah, I don't drink, but after we finally got the PS4 patch working, I spent some time playing dress up with one of my daughters and then watched some Community before going to bed at a reasonable time. :)

Good!

Hopefully y'all can start looking at your Kickstarter inbox now ;)

Want to play the game already! Haha.

JC Lately

I was just reading that one metacritic user review that gave it a five, and since he stupidly got key info wrong just for the record:

When you clear a screen of enemies, select "Battle" from your menu to fight more battles on that screen. That is the way you "grind" in this game.

Discovered that bit by accident, just by clicking around the menu, seeing what did what.

Some people just can't be arsed to experiment I guess. And if that's the case, and with this battle system, he's gonna have a bad time.

Hobbun

So what does it do, re-populate the screen if you choose “Battle”, or throw you into a random encounter of some sort?

IIRC, this feature is explained in-game in Chtulhu Saves the World. Since it's still pretty unique, maybe they should have explained it again in CSH.

Amir0x

Banned
So what does it do, re-populate the screen if you choose “Battle”, or throw you into a random encounter of some sort?

Automatically throws you into one of the battles that took place on that screen prior. I think it chooses which of the battles to put you in from that screen randomly, since it switches between which one.

IIRC, this feature is explained in-game in Chtulhu Saves the World. Since it's still pretty unique, maybe they should have explained it again in CSH.

Maybe. I mean sure, especially if you are playing on easier modes. But I sorta dig discovering what my options are for myself :p

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Enjoying the game a lot so far. On PC and I'm noticing a bug that keeps happening where by following party members start almost walking over one another and slowing down to a crawl. Eventually they'll teleport to my location but 9 times out of 10 they instantly go back into that cycle. Curious if anyone else has had this happen.

What are your sys specs and game resolution? Does it happen at windowed modes?

Gaffi

What are your sys specs and game resolution? Does it happen at windowed modes?
2k res with a gtx980 and s 140ish framerate. I'll try windowed mode tonight. To be clear it's only the companions slowing down in actual speed and overlapping one other sprites. Alyssa and the frame rate remain stable. I switched to a new map area and it hasn't happened again yet so hopefully it was just in that jungle map.

rezn0r

I love that someone else did and remembers this. I still have all of those mailings from them in a box somewhere. My friend and I were probably such pains in the asses back then. I think we'd call daily even if we didn't really need any help. Haha I loved Sega so much.

Buckle

Hahahahaha oh dear. Can't imagine being such a worthless, pathetic manchild that gets offended so easily by the existence of Girls Doing Things Too.
Honestly think I'm more annoyed with the guy in the second reply.

The thread creator sounds like an idiot but that guy just sounds like a complete asshole.

I just want to reiterate that the soundtrack is absolutely amazing, and I am 100% in love - guess finishing my assignments just became 1000x cooler. Time to retire the Umineko and Persona 5 soundtracks (FOR NOW).

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I really like the music in this game and the sprite work is awesome too!

I just had it lock up on me for the first time, but I've been saving like every other minute so I shouldn't lose too much progress.

Also, so far
Dave
is the worst.

Just launched the game and I'm having a hard time changing the resolution.

The game defaulted to the lowest resolution available, it opened in a tiny window. I tried changing it to 1080p and it crashed. I restarted the game and it was 1080p windowed. Chose fullscreen, the game crashed again.

Restarted the game. It was indeed fullscreen, but there were huge black bars around the image. Weird.

Checked Nvidia Control Panel. Game defaulted to my onboard video card (Intel HD Graphics 3000). Changed it to my NVIDIA 840M. The issue persists.

I have an ASUS X550L Notebook, i5 42100U, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM.

Not really a problem for me, as I can play fullscreen 1080p using Borderless Gaming, but I think I should report this bug anyway.

EvSOLO

Does this game have random encounters like classic Final Fantasy and Undertale or do you see enemies on screen like Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, South Park etc

Amir0x

Banned
Does this game have random encounters like classic Final Fantasy and Undertale or do you see enemies on screen like Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, South Park etc

It's very much like Chrono Trigger, to the point where you fight the enemies in the same space you encounter them. No transition screen.

VandalD

So...was Kickstarter worthwhile?
Kickstarter gave me Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, FTL, Shovel Knight, and Hollow Knight just off the top of my head. Yeah. Kickstarter has been worthwhile.

If you're just asking whether this game is good, there are already posts here that say it's pretty great. I haven't actually dove in like I wanted to yet because another certain Kickstarter game completely stole my attention. But I'll get to this game soon.

Top Bottom