• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Jeffrey

We've been giving out the Kickstarter backer codes via Humble Store and it's in a different category than your KS tier (since there are different versions of the game independent of tiers) so it's easy to miss. It's also possible that we missed a few backers and there were also a handful of backers who didn't fill out their reward survey on what version they wanted.

McvNjzR.jpg

Hmmm see that I purchased the game but clicking the link gives me this page.

I'm pretty sure I messaged y'all that I wanted to switch to ps4 version, but I've not gotten a code.
Don't see the game on my dl page.

Brashnir

2k res with a gtx980 and s 140ish framerate. I'll try windowed mode tonight. To be clear it's only the companions slowing down in actual speed and overlapping one other sprites. Alyssa and the frame rate remain stable. I switched to a new map area and it hasn't happened again yet so hopefully it was just in that jungle map.

To add on to this, since I'm having the same issue.

i5 6600k, GTX970. Playing windowed at the 3x pixel-perfect resolution. (something x 810 I think?) Framerate is somewhere in the triple digits.

Similar to Gaffi,
Dave and Chahn
started following more closely once we
got back to the Agency from the Jungle,
but they were moving too fast instead of too slow, and stutter-stepping behind Alyssa. Once
Sue.....
joined the party, the others would stay close behind, while he would lag way back.

Untimately, it's not a big deal, since everyone shows up when it's time to fight or have a chatty scene. It's just a visual thing.

I am so torn, been waiting for this game for a while, but also have yet to start Persona 5. I feel like if I wait until after P5 I might be burnt out on RPGs for a while, plus the face this is about a 20hr experience is enticing.

I'm in the same boat but will be playing CSH first. 20 hours seems like the perfect length for my lifestyle right now; I'll get to P5 eventually but don't want to dive into a 70+ hour game right now.

Robaperas

I hope this game sales a ton because it's really good, it moves swiftly, it's funny and challenging. I enjoyed every other Zeboyd game so much, that this is the first game that I bought day one.

prophecy0

I am so torn, been waiting for this game for a while, but also have yet to start Persona 5. I feel like if I wait until after P5 I might be burnt out on RPGs for a while, plus the fact this is about a 20hr experience is enticing.

I'm around 30 hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn and just recently purchased/started Persona 5 and Yakuza 0. I also just bought Cosmic Star Heroine and still need to play the expansions to The Witcher 3, along with a lot of other games on my backlog. I want to play Nier: Automata at some point as well.

There have been too many fantastic releases this year, even with me ignorning as many as I can. Couple all of this with a full time job and family/kids.... maybe I'll catch up on my backlog in the retirement home years from now.

mrk8885

Banned
Don't have time to play now, but bought digitally on PS4 anyways to support this project.

Will definitely try to snatch up a Vita physical release when available

Brashnir

Robert, do you have any other PS4 releases? Or just stuff on console in general? I'm not a PC gamer.

Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World came out on 360 (maybe PS3 too?)

edit - just PC and 360 for Breath of Death. Cthulhu looks like it came out on Mobile devices too.

hawk2025

Stay strong guys, there's still the LRG release coming. There's a guaranteed 10K copies sold right there.

Everyone should at least check out a video of the combat system in this game. It's better than 99% of RPG systems out there and up there with the very very best ever.

Arkeband

Banned
Oh that sucks. :( I was kind of pissed and disappointed that Sony didn't do a better job of advertising or pushing the game. I had to search for it on PS4 and it wasn't even in the main screen for "new games" - even fricking Bulletstorm remastered was on that "new games" intro screen. I hope it does well for you guys - you always make such high quality and unique games.

It was on the "What's New" menu yesterday, on the second row.

hawk2025

It was on the "What's New" menu yesterday, on the second row.

And part of the spring special promotion.

I don't know how badly Sony botched the patching situation, but marketing isn't something they messed up. The game was prominently featured everywhere in the store and the PS Blog.

Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World came out on 360 (maybe PS3 too?)

edit - just PC and 360 for Breath of Death. Cthulhu looks like it came out on Mobile devices too.

Holy shit I literally just said "Oh my God" out loud because I purchased both of those on the 360 in 2013 (?) and LOVED them!!! Had NO idea Robert had made those as well!

Man, those games mean a lot to me.

Brashnir

Honestly, if I was able to do it over again, I would have asked for more money and made a completely different game that would have been smaller in size, scope & ambition. Either that or just given up on game development entirely. I think Cosmic Star Heroine is an excellent game and I'm glad people are enjoying it, but all the years of stress & money problems were too much. And then to have all the launch issues with the Steam version going up late, the PS4 version not getting patched with the pre-release patch, review codes not coming out before launch, etc. And I still don't know if the game's going to sell well enough to pay off development costs, much less support my family while I work on another game or find a better job.

Just went back and saw this post. Having played your previous games, this one is by far your best effort, and I'm not even halfway into it. I hope it does well enough that you can continue to make games pressure-free, because you've really hit on something special here.

Granjinha

I think this will be a Hollow Knight-like case where word of mouth and reviews (as they begin coming out) help the sales go up. It was a hard day to launch, too, with Bayonetta coming out at the same time.

Hoping you guys get the success you deserve. :)

Hobbun

Sorry to hear about the troubles in developing the game, Robert.

Originally I was only going to purchase the physical for the PS4, but going to go ahead and get the VITA version, as well (if it is released physically).

Even if it isn’t released physically for VITA, will still purchase digitally (unless it is cross-buy).

Sorry to hear about the troubles in developing the game, Robert.

Originally I was only going to purchase the physical for the PS4, but going to go ahead and get the VITA version, as well (if it is released physically).

Even if it isn’t released physically for VITA, will still purchase digitally (unless it is cross-buy).
It's cross buy.

I know I'll be grabbing an LRG copy as well, though.

Ainaurdur

I'll mainly be playing my PS4 copy to start with, but I went ahead and also bought CSH on Steam to have it join the other Zeboyd games in my Steam library.
More than happy to buy it twice!
Might go a third time depending on how port plans for Switch turn out.

No matter what happens, thank you guys for hanging in there. Loving the game so far.

Thanks for the tip that the battle issue might be related to poison. Looking into this. EDIT: Specifically, I think there might be an issue with the code that's supposed to wait until effects are finished before switching to the next character's turn and so characters/enemies are starting their turn & an effect finishes mid-turn that messes everything up.

I just added a 0.5 sec delay after conversation before a Talk/Examine can be initiated. Hopefully this will fix the problem some people are having on the PS4 with repeated dialogues. I don't know when the next patch will go up though (substantially more difficult to patch the PS4 version than the Steam version).

Aquova

I was going to wait for reviews, but I caved and bought the game. The Steam discounted price was too tempting.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Always fun to see a game take after Chrono Trigger, and finishing this might actually motivate me into playing Phantasy Star one of these days.

Just started and played for a couple of hours. So far I am really enjoying it. I won't give full impressions until I'm done but I really love the battle system. It has been a really long time since I played a JRPG that i need to use some strategy in the normal encounters. I'm definitely not buffing the strong character and just repeatedly using a strong physical attack to wipe out all the enemies one by one and ending the battle in a few attacks. I really appreciate this. I did just discover that you can refight enemies to grind so I hope this doesn't diminish this effect with a light grind here or there. Congratulations to the Zeboyd Games and thanks a bunch for all your feedback and insights, it's very cool.

I'm not entirely sure I'm "getting" shields.
I understand that shields have both passive effects and programs you can use in battle, but they also seem to have what I assume are defensive values, represented by a sword&shield for physical and a staff&shield for magical, I presume.
The thing is, as you get newer ones as you advance, they have more and more of these defensive values, thus rendering the older ones obsolete, wich makes sense. But, the older ones have skills that require some pretty tall stats I haven't been able to hit yet.
Is it supposed to be a trade off? Sacrificing defense for some high skills? Or am I misreading something?

DRM-Free copies are now available from Humble Store or if you got the PC version via Kickstarter.

Sony's been doing a great job with promotion AND as soon as that PS4 patch went live, they sent a ton of emails & review codes out to the media. They've been great.

The thing is, as you get newer ones as you advance, they have more and more of these defensive values, thus rendering the older ones obsolete, wich makes sense. But, the older ones have skills that require some pretty tall stats I haven't been able to hit yet. Is it supposed to be a trade off? Sacrificing defense for some high skills? Or am I misreading something?

Yes. You can keep changing your shields to ensure your defensive values are high or you can continue to use older shields because you like their bonuses & programs (some of which as you say, you might not be able to use right away).

Are any of you finding super-spy fun? Might start on that.

I tried it and it's super hard! I mean, It took me 30 minutes and many tries to finally defeat the first enemy 0_0

The game says Super Spy is great for a second playthrough and I agree. It's really cool, because you have to plan each battle, but it demands some knowledge of how the game works. It will be way more fun if you've already beaten the game and know the intricacies of the combat system.

Bear in mind I only played the game for an hour and actually quit Super Spy because I couldn't defeat the second enemy ^_^

slash000

Zeboyd Games
To add on to this, since I'm having the same issue.

i5 6600k, GTX970. Playing windowed at the 3x pixel-perfect resolution. (something x 810 I think?) Framerate is somewhere in the triple digits.

Similar to Gaffi,
Dave and Chahn
started following more closely once we
got back to the Agency from the Jungle,
but they were moving too fast instead of too slow, and stutter-stepping behind Alyssa. Once
Sue.....
joined the party, the others would stay close behind, while he would lag way back.

Untimately, it's not a big deal, since everyone shows up when it's time to fight or have a chatty scene. It's just a visual thing.

This is a really weird thing to ask you to try, but bear with me:
Is there any way for you to lock your framerate or even refresh rate on this particular game to 60? It shouldn't matter but I"m wondering if it does. Bizarre, I know. But the data point might be useful

CEJames

How about the style stuff? As far as I understand it's a passive boost to dmg/healing that continuously increases for both you and enemies? Is there a cap to this? Highest I've gotten is like 110%

The cap is 300%.

Honestly, if I was able to do it over again, I would have asked for more money and made a completely different game that would have been smaller in size, scope & ambition. Either that or just given up on game development entirely. I think Cosmic Star Heroine is an excellent game and I'm glad people are enjoying it, but all the years of stress & money problems were too much. And then to have all the launch issues with the Steam version going up late, the PS4 version not getting patched with the pre-release patch, review codes not coming out before launch, etc. And I still don't know if the game's going to sell well enough to pay off development costs, much less support my family while I work on another game or find a better job.

Omg...I'm so sad to see this. I'm fucking loving this game, though.

Ricker

Played for a bit(Pro),up to the first real mission...pretty good so far,I love,love the music.Playing on Agent I think I will raise it to Heroine for awhile to see,Agent seems more like an easy mode instead of normal to me(still early).

Loved Steele's intro lol ;)

Brashnir

This is a really weird thing to ask you to try, but bear with me:
Is there any way for you to lock your framerate to 60? It shouldn't matter but I"m wondering if it does.

I set my monitor to 60Hz and the issue seemed to go away. I then set my refresh back to 120 and can't get the issue to come back at that setting.

Will do some more testing later.

Some clarification on style: it gives damage/ailment bonuses up to 100%. It caps at 300%. Having over 100% is useful for burst moves (which take advantage of all style, even past 100%) and to give you a buffer to make up for the style you lose when you go into desperate mode. Enemies don't have style caps in the same way (I think there is a max, but it's a lot higher than player characters) & most enemies gain 10% style per move (there are some noticeable differences throughout the game).

Currently planning to add a tutorial menu into the game with one of the patches to make this kind of stuff more clear.

VandalD

Funny, seemingly harmless display bug. I seem to be joined by Mega Sue. Persists to other screens. Happened after I backed out of entering Nightshade, and took the southern exit. Playing the PC version if the link didn't give it away.

Edit: He keeps that appearance in battle too. His animations either fail to play or happen super fast. Quitting to title and reloading didn't fix. Would've tried reloading an earlier save, but I didn't have one with Sue in the party. Quitting the game and reloading fixed it. Odd.

As someone who wants to be an Indie RPG developer hearing this isn't unexpected but it is scary. I hope things work out for you as Zeboyd represents a dream to me that I want to be able to achieve.

Kensuke

I tried it and it's super hard! I mean, It took me 30 minutes and many tries to finally defeat the first enemy 0_0

The game says Super Spy is great for a second playthrough and I agree. It's really cool, because you have to plan each battle, but it demands some knowledge of how the game works. It will be way more fun if you've already beaten the game and know the intricacies of the combat system.

Bear in mind I only played the game for an hour and actually quit Super Spy because I couldn't defeat the second enemy ^_^

Haha, you were right. The first enemy took a while. I had to figure out some of the mechanics first. After beating the first boss though I feel super spy is the way to go. Makes every battle a puzzle of sorts. The super quick restart removes all the sting from losing as well.

Haha, you were right. The first enemy took a while. I had to figure out some of the mechanics first. After beating the first boss though I feel super spy is the way to go. Makes every battle a puzzle of sorts. The super quick restart removes all the sting from losing as well.

In that case, after defeating the first enemy, you may want to battle him again in order to gain a level before heading to the next battle. Since he is the only enemy in this area, you can open the menu and choose "Battle" to fight him again.

george_us

Still have Persona 5 to play but bought anyone. Played about 30 minutes or so and got wrecked by the first boss on Heroine lol. This game ain't gonna fuck around, is it?

Kensuke

So, you can re-use items?

In that case, after defeating the first enemy, you may want to battle him again in order to gain a level before heading to the next battle. Since he is the only enemy in this area, you can open the menu and choose "Battle" to fight him again.

Damn, wish I had known that. The battles after that were very tough. Oh well.

Top Bottom