• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couchjockeyz rumor: MP3, DLNA coming in later PS4 firmware update

hesido

1376587_10151804945682804_1385326579_n-300x258.jpg

That's what happens when you DON'T spy on what your customers are doing. You learn things from tweets of your customers.

USC-fan

Banned
That's an awful way to do things. It insures you're always late with everything.

Console are coming in HOT son.

You push back features that are not critical for launch. People just do not remember console launch since they only happen 6-7 years ago. Just because it not supporting something at launch doesnt mean it wasnt plan.

Ps3 os was a train wreck.

KemoSabe

oh shit, sony is right on the way to be my favorite...
they actually listen to customer complaints, nice.

this encourages me even more to buy a ps4 at launch.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Console are coming in HOT son.

You push back features that are not critical for launch. People just do not remember console launch since they only happen 6-7 years ago. Just because it not supporting something at launch doesnt mean it wasnt plan.

PS3 os was a train wreck.
I think you misremember how utterly terribad the launch PS3 OS was... It didn't even have upscaling for DVD and PS2. And let's not forget that in Game XMB didn't happen for a loooooooooooong long time. Some games had to put an access gate inside of the games so you could message friends. Holding entire conversations in subject lines. Oh god.

USC-fan

Banned
I think you misremember how utterly terribad the launch PS3 OS was... It didn't even have upscaling for DVD and PS2. And let's not forget that in Game XMB didn't happen for a loooooooooooong long time. Some games had to put an access gate inside of the games so you could message friends. Holding entire conversations in subject lines. Oh god.

Yeah that is what I'm saying ps3 os was a train wreck at launch. Background downloading didn't even work. Then the download would time out and you have to start over... just terrible.

Once it is in, I will buy one.

Until then, Im breaking my bank balance trying to join the master race ..
(Why do I act on impulse so often? This shit is expensive! :-(

I know when I purchased my PHAT PS3, on launch day, there were a number of things I couldn't do or use at launch. The PS3 went through many many updates that added a host of features. Here are just a few.

* You couldn't access the XMB while in a game. (You can now!)
* You couldn't send or receive messages with your friends. (You can now)
* There were no dynamic themes. (There are now)
* You couldn't make your own custom themes. (You can now!)
* You couldn't listen to your own custom soundtracks in game (you can now, if developers allow it).
* You couldn't take in game screenshots (you can now, if developers allow it).
* You couldn't collect trophies. (you can now).
* You couldn't play games or movies in 3D (you can now).

These are only a few features, that we take for granted, that were all added by Sony to the PS3 AFTER LAUNCH! These are some pretty significant updates, on a system with much less computational power and RAM than the PS4.

Some people in this thread, and others, are making this huge deal out of this. Look, I stream videos several times a week to my PS3 from my PC, IT sucks I will not be able to do it at launch on my PS4. However, I will be patient, and these features ill come. These things will be added, in time, just as a ton of features I listed above were added to the PS3.

I think these features just werent top priority for launch. Also gives good opportunity to shove MU to peoples face for the time before this system update. This is strategical late adiition.

androvsky

I know when I purchased my PHAT PS3, on launch day, there were a number of things I couldn't do or use at launch. The PS3 went through many many updates that added a host of features. Here are just a few.

* You couldn't listen to your own custom soundtracks in game (you can now, if developers allow it).

These are only a few features, that we take for granted, that were all added by Sony to the PS3 AFTER LAUNCH! These are some pretty significant updates, on a system with much less computational power and RAM than the PS4.

Some people in this thread, and others, are making this huge deal out of this. Look, I stream videos several times a week to my PS3 from my PC, IT sucks I will not be able to do it at launch on my PS4. However, I will be patient, and these features ill come. These things will be added, in time, just as a ton of features I listed above were added to the PS3.

Everyone gets the concept of adding features after launch. What you're missing is how not only did Sony manage to prioritize Music Unlimited for launch, but offered a flat "no" to the question of "Will the PS4 play mp3s?". They didn't say "Not at launch", or "There will be an app offered on the Playstation store later". Even under the assumption that they were always planning on adding mp3 playback later, PR wanted people to think otherwise so they'd sign up for MU.

That's also why such a simple acknowledgement from Yoshida is going a long way to appease people. All Sony needed to do was just give a hint that they were going to add it later, and now they have. It's still crappy they prioritized MU over a simple mp3 player, but at least we know we won't be stuck with it.

And I'll note you could listen to audio CDs and mp3s on the PS3 at launch. As much of a disaster as the PS3 launch OS was, you could at least do that much.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Everyone gets the concept of adding features after launch. What you're missing is how not only did Sony manage to prioritize Music Unlimited for launch, but offered a flat "no" to the question of "Will the PS4 play mp3s?". They didn't say "Not at launch", or "There will be an app offered on the Playstation store later". Even under the assumption that they were always planning on adding mp3 playback later, PR wanted people to think otherwise so they'd sign up for MU.

That's also why such a simple acknowledgement from Yoshida is going a long way to appease people. All Sony needed to do was just give a hint that they were going to add it later, and now they have. It's still crappy they prioritized MU over a simple mp3 player, but at least we know we won't be stuck with it.

And I'll note you could listen to audio CDs and mp3s on the PS3 at launch. As much of a disaster as the PS3 launch OS was, you could at least do that much.

Depends on the timing. If MP3 playback is coming in 1.6, then they may mention it in that FAQ with a 'future release' comment. But if it is a few releases out, or they don't really know when they'll get it in, it is simpler to just say 'no it doesn't support it' which is correct, and then leave future features for when they happen,

Drencrom

This, i'm pretty confident that Sony will bring valuable and wanted features over time just like they did with the PS3

I think people were much more forgiving with the early PS3 OS because the PS2 had only rudimentary features/options and PS3 could do all of them. You were not missing anything. Any pressure basically came from the 360 OS.

IMO, it's not weird that people like myself expected that the PS4 OS includes most features of the PS3 available at launch, at the minimum. Especially simple stuff like media features. No one would expect that the PS4 e.g. doesn't have "ingame OS" after the PS3 and that is has to be patched in first.
Of course, we know now that apparently all this stuff is coming anyway and it was just a matter of priority, but still. I won't be pissed too much if it's just a matter of a couple of months.

androvsky

Depends on the timing. If MP3 playback is coming in 1.6, then they may mention it in that FAQ with a 'future release' comment. But if it is a few releases out, or they don't really know when they'll get it in, it is simpler to just say 'no it doesn't support it' which is correct, and then leave future features for when they happen,

Yeah, but if mp3 support was planned for so far out that the faq writers didn't feel comfortable even hinting at it, that's not that much better. We're talking about an app that's simpler than the one they do have ready for launch...

mekes

Hm, I got my dad a PS3 so he could watch certain movies and tv shows through a USB pen drive. Certain mkv files would originally have to go through his laptop to the TV, but over the past few months he assures me he has been watching everything over the PS3. I know certain recent files shouldn't be able to play but if he tells me he has seen them, he definitely has.

EU PS3 slim with Singstar.

Hm, I got my dad a PS3 so he could watch certain movies and tv shows through a USB pen drive. Certain mkv files would originally have to go through his laptop to the TV, but over the past few months he assures me he has been watching everything over the PS3. I know certain recent files shouldn't be able to play but if he tells me he has seen them, he definitely has.

EU PS3 slim with Singstar.
You can do it with ps3mediaserver if that's been set up to stream from the laptop to PS3

satam55

Banned
Does anyone know if the PS4 will play video files at launch?

things like divx,mp4,mkv?

Definitely MP4, m2ts, wmv & mpeg. Videos in the PS Store & Video Unlimited use mp4. Mpeg must be suported for DVD & blu-ray playback. m2ts & wmv must also be for Blu-ray playback.

RayMaker

Banned

does not mention about what video formats are supported,

and just because movie unlimited supports mp4, does not mean it will play them from other sources.

I would of thought the video support on PS4 would of matched PS3's extensive video support, Hopefully it will sooner rather than later.

FranXico

and just because movie unlimited supports mp4, does not mean it will play them from other sources.

I would of thought the video support on PS4 would of matched PS3's extensive video support, Hopefully it will sooner rather than later.

Indeed.

Hopefully someone will ask Yoshida about this. Or even better, they already realized an even stronger backlash is on their way unless they provide feature parity with the PS3 soon.

satam55

Banned

Videos from the PS Store/Video Unlimited use the same media player as your own personal video files.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is Netflix launching with PS4\Xbone?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen concrete information for either platform. I tweeted Yoshida a few days ago but he did not reply. I'm not sure if it is worrying there is no confirmation, or it is just such an obvious given that it will be there.

Jburton

Banned
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen concrete information for either platform. I tweeted Yoshida a few days ago but he did not reply. I'm not sure if it is worrying there is no confirmation, or it is just such an obvious given that it will be there.

There is a reddit post showing a conversation with a Netflix customer rep stating Netflix will be there on day one ........ make of that as you will.

JP

Surely the lack of audio CD support is a hardware rather than software issue? Audio CD/DVD/Blu-ray all require different hardware to do what they do. I suppose it is possible that they've included the hardware for CDs but I'm not sure why they would,

satam55

Banned
Is Netflix launching with PS4Xbone?

There is a reddit post showing a conversation with a Netflix customer rep stating Netflix will be there on day one ........ make of that as you will.

Any PS3 apps built on html5, should be on the PS4 day 1. HTML5 apps are easy ports.

Top Bottom