• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could MS slowly bring back their DRM features over time?

Do you believe that Microsoft will slowly reintroduce the Xbox One DRM over time?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Boke1879

http://http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127082-Microsoft-Believes-Xbox-One-And-Kinect-Are-One-And-The-Same?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news#MQGkGOE8beg0vxjD.99

Spencer does believe in listening to customer feedback, which is why Microsoft now uses what he describes as "physical DRM" - the disc - as well as digital DRM. But Spencer's clear on one thing: Microsoft wants to create the digital ecosystem that was announced at launch, and which will be coming to all customers eventually. So those of you who wanted to see the next generation console you thought Microsoft was selling will see it eventually. Just not right away.

Reading through this actually quite concerned me.

Shosai

Banned
No. The backlash was huge when they tried to place restrictions on a console people didn't even have yet. Imagine how much worse it would be if they shanked consoles that are already in people's homes.

Such as when Sony removed otherOS with a PS3 patch.

Toki767

When Whitten couldn't guarantee they wouldn't put DRM back in the future most thought it was going to happen eventually.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Isn't this what everyone assumes is going to happen?

It's what I assume is going to happen, preorder numbers scared them from implementing it now, but once they have a couple of years sales under the belt, well, why not then?

It's enough to keep me from getting one.

Boke1879

I'm just surprised that they would even say this in an interview so soon. I had no doubt in my mind they would try to bring it back.

strata8

Not providing direct quotes is troublesome. It's easy enough to paraphrase something to mean something entirely different.

Your link is broken, by the way.

hoos30

The only people who "believe" this are SDF members spreading FUD around the internet.

Microsoft screwed up enough themselves...you don't need to keep piling on.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have a suspicion that a lot will buy digital over physical in time if MS and Sony make the digital copy more attractive than the physical counterpart.

pixlexic

Banned
every company who can will do this eventually. I wish it was standard from the start but I understand why some people do not.

It's been said since jump that one reason for doing it was so that the system could be the boogieman instead of big publishers, so that something like Sim City never stands alone in the line of fire.

No. The backlash was huge when they tried to place restrictions on a console people didn't even have yet. Imagine how much worse it would be if they shanked consoles that are already in people's homes.

What exactly are those people going to do? They've already bought the machine. They'll make some noise and then it will die down.

It's what I assume is going to happen, preorder numbers scared them from implementing it now, but once they have a couple of years sales under the belt, well, why not then?

It's enough to keep me from getting one.

Yeah I'm going along with this.

2013:
Gamers: AHHH NOOO. This sucks!
*Xbox one released with paywall and not as many features as intended*

2015:
Xbox: We're announcing additional online features for our console(The stuff they took out) for you guys to have WITH NO ADDITIONAL COST
Stupid gamers: Yeah woooo. OMG, suck it Sanyo...or whatever.

I think they could, if they evolve the Xbox ecosystem into a Steam-like environment. The people have to choose this for themselves though (or believe they've chosen it), it can't be enforced from the top-down they like their earlier ham-fisted attempt.

Isn't this what everyone assumes is going to happen?

Pretty much. They'll just find a new way to market it this next time so it isn't quite so obvious that you're giving up all your content rights for the ability to not change a disc. Plenty of people will have the console in their homes at that point, and it's not like they're going to return it.

pixlexic

Banned
Pretty much. They'll just find a new way to market it this next time so it isn't quite so obvious that you're giving up all your content rights for the ability to not change a disc.

The ability to access your games anywhere you mean.. and content across multiple devices.

Dibbz

They will find backhanded ways to reintroduce some of the DRM. Like they are already planning on doing by releasing Forza 5 unfinished and making users connect online to download a patch day 1 that will give you the rest of the content, that you already paid for.

Shosai

Banned
What exactly are those people going to do? They've already bought the machine. They'll make some noise and then it will die down.

Cancel their Live subscriptions? Switch to a PS4 and not buy anymore Xbox games? It's not like MS makes money off selling the consoles themselves. If people want the benefits of physical disks, they'll buy them from the company that's selling them.

Stoffinator

I have a feeling by year three of the system when the install base is at a good number they will update it to be what it was planned for. This is Microsoft after all.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
But what about those that just have zero interest in buying digital?

I didn't say that physical copies are going away though. I was thinking MS and Sony might do something along the lines of Steam sales where it's just too good to pass up.

Who knows if they'll go down that path.

C4Lukins

I doubt MS will, but with games such as Titanfall, we are going to see a lot of online only experiences. Even this generation, games such as Fifa, COD, and anything Blizzard made their money off of the online crowd. Yes maybe you will be able to buy triple A experience games for retail, but even those games will have online components or DLC in order to get the full experience,

Just think of the last two years when it comes to major retail games. How often did you buy the full experience at retail? It is already a thing. The level to which they hide it is the only thing left to debate.

Omega

Banned
I don't think they are brave enough to return their original SRM ( Slavery Right Management )

yes because not allowing friends to borrow games and having to install them is the equivalent of slavery

It blows my mind how the internet equates such insignificant shit to slavery and Hitler.

keit4

Banned
Nah, not gonna happen. I don't know why people keep bringing this idea. Oh yeah, because MS is the devil,amirite?.

McHuj

I bet by the end of this gen both platforms will be where MS wanted to start with regards to always online and DRM.

Just to be clear, by DRM its meant that MS would require the 24-hour phone home? Or switch to an always-online model? Or require entering a code in future games so that the used market would disappear outside of an MS/Publisher controlled system?

Just want to be sure exactly what we're talking about here. And how would this work? Just one day they put out an xbox update that bricks functionality for those offline? And any code schemes - would this be for first party games only?

I'd like to know which different possibilities people have rolling around.

For my part I think it will come from the publishers and affect both consoles on that basis. To put an online requirement or single-use license into direct effect you can start by putting these requirements on a game by game basis. Or tie it to Origin, or Uplay and affect whole swaths of games. I just can't see some switch being pulled overnight.

Top Bottom