• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Court rules Subway sandwiches too sugary to meet legal definition of ‘bread’

cryptoadam

Banned

Ireland’s highest court isn’t sweet on tax breaks for footlongs.

The country’s Supreme Court ruled that the starch used in Subway sandwiches is too sugary to meet the definition of “bread” — a legal distinction that would have saved the firm some dough.

In deciding whether to give the fast-food chain a tax break for serving a “staple” food item, the five-judge panel ruled that the bread’s sugar-to-flour content is roughly five times too high to qualify, according to the Irish Independent.

For a company to be taxed zero percent, under the Value-Added Tax Act of 1972, the weight of sugar and fat in a bread product must not be more than 2 percent of the total weight of flour in the dough.

But the dough baked for Subway sandwiches has a sugar content of roughly 10 percent the weight of its flour content, the outlet reported.

Still no comment on their chicken, ribs or steak but there is surly less than 10% of any animal in those meats.

highrider

Banned
Once you’ve had a really well executed cold cut Italian with quality butcher meats, shredded lettuce, peppers and a great infused olive oil, subway is kind of disgusting lol. My favorite is Stachowski’s next to Georgetown in DC, legendary cold cut butchers sub. It should be a huge meal, it needs no sides. I can barely finish one mostly people split them.

ZiHrrHd.jpg

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I used to like their parmesan oregano bread before they discontinued it. Italian herbs and cheese isn't as good.

Spaceman292

Banned

TheMan

I wonder how much different Ireland's subway bread tastes compared to US bread. The bread here doesn't seem to be overly sweet, but then again we have sugar in literally everything so maybe my taste buds have been desensitized.

Dural

Here is what Subway's website has to say about their bread;

nRdCJVp.png

Doesn't seem like it has more sugar than the average bread product.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Subway is the McDonald's of sandwich shops, Jimmy John's for life fight me retards
McDonalds at least has flavor and the restaurant doesn't smell like a dead animal.

Seriously, just stand outside of any Subway, and you can smell it from a mile away. :sick:

ExpandKong

Banned
McDonalds at least has flavor and the restaurant doesn't smell like a dead animal.

Seriously, just stand outside of any Subway, and you can smell it from a mile away. :sick:

This is true and you remind me that while I get a McDouble and a spicy chicken from McDonald's every couple months, I haven't eaten anything from Subway in a decade easily.

Get fucked Subway.

Super Mario

Banned
Interesting target. According to their nutrition, it's really not that sugary. Now, if the nutrition info is false, that's definitely something to look at. I question the quality of their meats more.

I disagree when people say "I refuse to eat at chains". I can get a damned good Italian sub at Penn Station, DiBellas, or Jersey Mike's. The only time I ever want Subway, is when I am in the middle of absolutely no where, with no other options, and I am starving to death

elektrokats

Banned
If it looks like bread, feels like bread and tastes like bread, then it's fucking bread. I think these people just have a vendetta against fast food chains, maybe even specifically Subway.

Wasn't their chicken also recently classified as not authentic chicken? I've had their chicken. It was okay. Still tasted like chicken to me...

elektrokats

Banned
I find you can improve the quality/look of a Subway sandwich by asking them to toast it at least 2x as long as normal and use spinach instead of their shredded lettuce. And always use Italian Herbs & Cheese as your bread.(y)

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hate that out of all the sub shops that blew up in the 90s and 00s it was fucking Subway. Almost without exception, every single small town in America has one because Subway successfully was able to market themselves as "healthy".

Codswallop_

Neophyte
That weird microwaved bread odour that seems to eminate from every franchise always turns me off ordering from Subway. Smells nothing like freshly baked bread should smell.

Nvzman

Oh america, you put too much sugar even on fucking bread.

I bet you also have sugar coated sugar...
Except if you read the article its talking about Ireland not the USA. Guess your country isn't too big on reading? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't think the sugar content is the same as in the USA, given how a poster here posted an ingredient chart and its not lining up with what the court is saying in Ireland.

I jest though, the worst part is that the USA doesn't even use sugar in a lot of its more common products, it uses that super shitty tasting, cheap, and unhealthy high fructose corn syrup thats banned in the EU and other parts of the world. I'll definitely give the EU credit in that they are right in banning that stuff, it shouldn't exist.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
As a Frenchman i'm offended :messenger_hushed: by the fact it is even called "bread" in the first place.
I mean... i guess i can't expect too much from people calling this a pizza.

Hero-image_1210-v2.jpg

I still don't understand how they have Subways in France and how they are popular. I went into one thinking surely they put their own spin on it, goat cheese, fig spread, etc. Nope, Same industrial garbage.

elektrokats

Banned
I don't get it though.

So you're saying if I'm at home and I'm making homemade bread and I decide that I would like to add more sugar than usual to give it a sweeter taste but it still LOOKS and TASTES like bread with no difference visually to the naked eye, then it's not considered bread by definition?

Stitch

Gold Member

Delicious

drganon

Subway isnt the worst restaurant I've eaten at (that would be pizza inn), but they pale in comparison to Jersey Mike.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't get it though.

So you're saying if I'm at home and I'm making homemade bread and I decide that I would like to add more sugar than usual to give it a sweeter taste but it still LOOKS and TASTES like bread with no difference visually to the naked eye, then it's not considered bread by definition?

On the real after the jokes its so Subway doesn't have to pay Irish taxes.

Because of the amount of sugar its considered a pastry not "bread" and can be taxed.

I guess Ireland is one of those places with a sugar tax so they want that sweet subway tax money.

All this means is that the price of a subway sandwich in Ireland will go up and have VAT added onto it.

Top Bottom