• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowboy Bebop (finally) releasing in Blu-Ray form in North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd360

My Aunt really loves scifi shows, and especially space sagas and westerns like Firefly so I showed her Cowboy Bebop. She fell in love with the show.

I tried to get my dad to watch an episode because I know he would like it, but animation is for babbys. His loss.

NR1

Amazon has Cowboy Bebop for $34.49 which effectively makes each episode about $1.38 each. I have only seen the first 2 episodes, but I keep hearing great things about the series. Lots of comparisons to Firefly, which I really liked. I went ahead on the blind buy for the good price, so hopefully it lives up to the hype...

cajunator

Banned
Amazon has Cowboy Bebop for $34.49 which effectively makes each episode about $1.38 each. I have only seen the first 2 episodes, but I keep hearing great things about the series. Lots of comparisons to Firefly, which I really liked. I went ahead on the blind buy for the good price, so hopefully it lives up to the hype...

It is very similar to the tone of Firefly in ways. There arent anything like reavers or monsters in it though. Just monstrous people. If I were to criticize something about Cowboy Bebop the episodic nature of it cuts interesting stories short, and the overall story arcs of each character and the show in general is spread out across the entire series of episodes in small amounts here or there, making the show really lack the impact it could if it focused more on the story and less on the adventures they have.

It's pretty much the anime version of Firefly in the sense of a down-in-their-lucks group of really capable lovable characters trying to get by. If you like Firefly then Cowboy Bebop is definitely something you gotta watch.

cajunator

Banned
It's pretty much the anime version of Firefly in the sense of a down-in-their-lucks group of really capable lovable characters trying to get by. If you like Firefly then Cowboy Bebop is definitely something you gotta watch.

Im pretty sure Firefly was inspired by Cowboy Bebop in the first place.

farisr

So I finished watching the whole show on bluray a few days ago. I used to have a problem with the standalone/episodic nature of the show before,but man this time I loved pretty much every bit of it.

I first saw the series when I was like 12 or something, and I think I had retained a lot of my impressions and viewpoints of the series since then (mainly because I didn't give the show another proper chance). In my mind at the time, any episode that didn't feature Spike = filler. Despite all that, I loved the show. But on rewatches, I would skip those "filler" episodes.

Getting the show on bluray, I rewatched every single episode, and man did I grow a new appreciation for the series, and thankfully have grown out of that filler mindset, was actually interested in the other characters' stories.

Also, really great picture quality (aside from the scenes with the upscaled cg). The show is actually watchable on a projector now. Bluray was definitely worth it.

Im pretty sure Firefly was inspired by Cowboy Bebop in the first place.

Sort of, as it probably helped refined it after the release of Alien Resurrection, which also released in 1997, which was essentially Joss Whedon's alpha version of his space pirate team dynamic of misfits for Firefly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom