• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to Spring 2018

KORNdoggy

Amazes me that this thread is 20 pages longer than the Red Dead 2 delay thread...
RtbRtrqX_8dyrI0ySCJG.gif

one has very little impact on anything in the grand scheme of things. the other makes an already anemic exclusives list for 2017 look even worse. you're seeing people disappointed in a delay AND people disappointed in MS output.

...and speaking personally. i hate RDR and knew if would slip into 2018 whereas i loved crackdown 1 and never expected a delay.

Vinc

The best place to play the biggest games.

For enthusiasts, this might be a big deal, not Joe Bloggs who is holding off for a cheap Black Friday deal but thats not who the X is for. You know that, right?

Yeah, but Joe Bloggs is gonna see a lot of RDR2, Battlefront 2, COD WWII, Destiny 2, and FIFA ads, and might be interested in playing Uncharted, God of War, or any of the PS4 exclusives. Whereas on the other side, there's just not much for the same exact price.

I should sell my Xbox One.
The Windows Store/UWP being garbage is the only thing keeping me.
I literally can't even access the Store right now. Just sits there and spins its circle forever.

Behlel

Amazes me that this thread is 20 pages longer than the Red Dead 2 delay thread...
RtbRtrqX_8dyrI0ySCJG.gif

Maybe it's because one was announced months before the delay and that got only one single trailer and the other was delayed several times and announced 2 month ago for the end of the year?

kevin1025

Banned
Yeah, but if footage has to be from the PS4 version it becomes difficult to show that best place.

Are a lot of studios going to put in that extra work to make the X version vastly better looking than the Pro version if the Pro has a larger install base? They might just crank up the resolution higher and call it a day on the graphics settings (unless they have marketing deals).

The best place to play the biggest games.

For enthusiasts, this might be a big deal, not Joe Bloggs who is holding off for a cheap Black Friday deal but thats not who the X is for. You know that, right?
True, but I'm not sure it will get as much benefit as it could since PS will have heavy marketing for the biggest third parties.

00ich

Are a lot of studios going to put in that extra work to make the X version vastly better looking than the Pro version if the Pro has a larger install base? They might just crank up the resolution higher and call it a day on the graphics settings (unless they have marketing deals).

Which still makes the Xbox X version the best version and there's an audience for that.
They have to hammer home that PS4 Pro is only compromised 4k. 2nd place. Inferior.

blakep267

Anyone else noticing the part that says the cloud based destruction is for "competitive multiplayer"? I thought it was available in online free roam.
Nah. The online mode is the wrecking crew where you destroy the opposing teams city/tower. I think people assumed it would be an open roam type thing

jeffram

Delays are good for the games themselves. Crackdown will be better for it. There's no doubt about that.

From a competitive standpoint it, it only further adds to the momentum gap between them and Sony. Sony has more momentum this year than any year since the height of the PS2, and MS is having a terrible year. Trying to launch a new product on the back of this momentum, and with a "so what" games lineup based on the rolling 12 months preceding it is going to be challenging.

Everyone likes to use the term headwinds, and boy, does Scorpio face some strong ones...

I think the only conclusion that you can logically reach is that this is SonyGAF and everyone wants Microsoft to fail.
There's a big difference between Red Dead and this. One's third party and it's going to make bank whenever it comes out. One's first party, a significant part of a platform holder's holiday lineup and was supposed to showcase the power of a system coming out this fall.

For the record I don't want MS to fail but they're going to have to step up their first party output if they want to attract me to their system. This news isn't helping.

Yeah, but Joe Bloggs is gonna see a lot of RDR2, Battlefront 2, COD WWII, Destiny 2, and FIFA ads, and might be interested in playing Uncharted, God of War, or any of the PS4 exclusives. Whereas on the other side, there's just not much for the same exact price.

Yeah, but if footage has to be from the PS4 version it becomes difficult to show that best place.

True, but I'm not sure it will get as much benefit as it could since PS will have heavy marketing for the biggest third parties.

It really all depends on how MS position the console from a marketing perspective. Ill be amazed if we dont see standalone TV spots basically reinforcing the message of this being the most powerful console in the world and no matter the game you are playing, on the X you're going to be playing the best version.

Its kind of what they have to do. They dont need to show off Destiny or Battlefront in order to do that.

Again, this isnt for the masses but for the people that are tech savvy - have a new TV and want to show it off.

Its going to be fun to see how they sell this thing.

kevin1025

Banned
Which still makes the Xbox X version the best version and there's an audience for that.
They have to hammer home that PS4 Pro is only compromised 4k. 2nd place. Inferior.

Everything won't hit 4K on the X, though, so both are inferior in that case. More will, absolutely, but it comes down to if someone wants more games or more 4K.

MS touting their console as the best doesn't have much impact when it's $100+ more expensive than the competitor. Only core Xbox fans and one or two stragglers will be buying it.

Everything won't hit 4K on the X, though, so both are inferior in that case. More will, absolutely, but it comes down to if someone wants more games or more 4K.

I would think that this is more to say to current PS4 owners that they shouldnt upgrade to a PS4 Pro but get a 1X instead, that way they continue to have access to PlayStation exclusives but now have an Xbox and its games as well as the machine that plays the best multiplatform titles.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It really all depends on how MS position the console from a marketing perspective. Ill be amazed if we dont see standalone TV spots basically reinforcing the message of this being the most powerful console in the world and no matter the game you are playing, on the X you're going to be playing the best version.

Its kind of what they have to do. They dont need to show off Destiny or Battlefront in order to do that.

Again, this isnt for the masses but for the people that are tech savvy - have a new TV and want to show it off.

Well, they could give it a stand-alone TV spot marketing the console as a 4K Gaming/Media device with access to various media/service elements. The most powerful 4K gaming console, UHD media machine that can access content from Spotify, Netflix, ..etc. and mix up the message in the video showing off gaming/movie clips and showing the services.

kevin1025

Banned
Technically the One has more games with the BC program.
ChzlNc8w8OwPzKKsUNa3.png

Definitely! With 360 and original Xbox, and here in Canada they have almost all of the streaming apps when PS4 does not, they have all of the good stuff in that regard.

But as someone trying to decide between the One X and a PC this fall, it's been a little tough.
I would think that this is more to say to current PS4 owners that they shouldnt upgrade to a PS4 Pro but get a 1X instead, that way they continue to have access to PlayStation exclusives but now have an Xbox and its games as well as the machine that plays the best multiplatform titles.

That's true. It all comes down to what everyone wants as individuals and in their own case.

Well, they could give it a stand-alone TV spot marketing the console as a 4K Gaming/Media device with access to various media/service elements. The most powerful 4K gaming console, UHD media machine that can access content from Spotify, Netflix, ..etc. and mix up the message in the video showing off gaming/movie clips and showing the services.

Precisely.

I think the only conclusion that you can logically reach is that this is SonyGAF and everyone wants Microsoft to fail.

You can literally feel the glee in a lot of the posts in this thread. How do people not understand that a healthy Xbox is good for them, even if they don't play on Xbox.

Repeat after me; Competition is good, competition is good, competition is good.......

I still don't understand the argument against a machine that is 40% more powerful than the competition.

But as someone trying to decide between the One X and a PC this fall, it's been a little tough.

Just curious. Are you going to upgrade your PC or buy a new rig? If so, price won't be a factor, will it?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

That whole tv, media bla bla bla didn't worked well for the Xbox One.

Guymelef

UHD Blu-Ray, exclusive media/service elements has been working so well for XBO S this year, now you add 4K gaming and X will do amazing.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I still don't understand the argument against a machine that is 40% more powerful than the competition.

Oh you mean exactly like what happenned between the ps4 and the Xbox one?
And what do we see now is that games are basically the same.

It all comes down to ressources allocation if publisher give devs enough room to optimize their game for 4 consoles maybe we'd see a true gap.

Vinc

I feel like advertising it in this way would be a complete waste. The console is for enthusiasts, who already know about it because they look at this stuff on a daily basis.

More casual people might care about playing the best version of games (though I'm not sure they'd want to pay $100 more than a PS4 Pro for the difference, or 250 more than a regular console), but above all, they care about what they can play on them, and where their friends are.

I guess they'll probably try to market that they have the best features and 4K support and the best games in the best quality, while also trying to confuse people into thinking the One S also has these things. Idk. They did this whole "technically correct" type of ads with the One S last year. We'll see how successful that is... but it sure is a little disheartening that they might have to rely on that.

Akronis

I should sell my Xbox One.
The Windows Store/UWP being garbage is the only thing keeping me.
I literally can't even access the Store right now. Just sits there and spins its circle forever.

Not that I'd ever defend the Windows Store, but have you tried just running wsreset.exe? Or removing the entire app with PowerShell and re-adding it?

kevin1025

Banned

I'd love for them to go wild on the X version, but the question becomes will they? Will they do Pro sorts of upgrades or resolution bumps? To me it comes down to where the install base is, where the developers feel like the amount of work should go. We need more information on what they will be doing with that power, which I'm sure we will hear over the fall.

For the PC upgrade or new rig question, price is a huge factor. I'll be saving up for the X in November or the PC around Christmas. Since I'm in Canada, and have a great video card, the price between the One X and a new PC is only $250-300.

(Didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry.)

Fisty

Serious question: What can MS accomplish with Crackdown 3 in 6 months to make it better?

Finish multiplayer, I'm assuming. They haven't showed that in any meaningful capacity for years it seems like, and that was supposed to be the marquee mode

Boke1879

You can literally feel the glee in a lot of the posts in this thread. How do people not understand that a healthy Xbox is good for them, even if they don't play on Xbox.

Repeat after me; Competition is good, competition is good, competition is good.......

Oh please. Maybe people are tired of Phil Spencer's PR. MS output this year has been abysmal. The game looks rough so it definitely needs time.

Competition is good. But MS needs to get it together with their output. hell they don't even have 3rd party exclusives to really offset the gap in games right now.

If they don't get their output sorted out their actual console sales will continue to slow down.

Boke1879

Negative Xbox dude. It's what plants crave.

You know this conversation isn't just exclusive to GAF Right now right?

There are people all over twitter and other forums questioning what MS is doing with their first party output. It doesn't help that they cancelled Scalebound.

Oh please. Maybe people are tired of Phil Spencer's PR. MS output this year has been abysmal. The game looks rough so it definitely needs time.

Competition is good. But MS needs to get it together with their output. hell they don't even have 3rd party exclusives to really offset the gap in games right now.

If they don't get their output sorted out their actual console sales will continue to slow down.

I agree with everything you said, but we're talking about two different things. My point is that I don't understand why people are happy when they hear negative Xbox news, and there's no denying that there's a lot of happy people in this thread.

watership

You know this conversation isn't just exclusive to GAF Right now right?

There are people all over twitter and other forums questioning what MS is doing with their first party output. It doesn't help that they cancelled Scalebound.

First party conversations are internet wide, i don't dispute that. On gaf however, any Xbox thread that goes over 4 pages is a usually a negative thread.

First party wise Sony had a big hit with Horizon this year but their output is, usually, less successful than third party games. They had value to the console if you like the games but well, so do the services Microsoft offers.

Except a few Wii anomalies all major first-party releases sell less than major third-party releases.

It's naïve to think people won't buy the newest and most powerful console to play AAA titles. I'm sure PS4 moved plenty of consoles for this reason.

It's naive to think people won't predominantly buy the $250 console that plays the same games as its $500 counterpart.

Without mentioning names there are a few major first party titles from another console that could of done with a bullet or more time in the oven

Not entirely sure what you're referring to, so personally I would prefer if you dropped the cryptic language and spoke plainly. I can't really think what games you mean on the Sony side apart from Driveclub, nor from Nintendo besides perhaps Starfox Zero?

Boke1879

I agree with everything you said, but we're talking about two different things. My point is that I don't understand why people are happy when they hear negative Xbox news, and there's no denying that there's a lot of happy people in this thread.

I haven't read this entire thread and I don't doubt there is some fanboy nonsense going on with some posts. But you ignore those. They come from a disingenuous place.

First party conversations are internet wide, i don't dispute that. On gaf however, any Xbox thread that goes over 4 pages is a usually a negative thread.

Well the game needs more time. That's a clear fact. But this news is coupled with the growing concern over their output.

As I said. Their output has been abysmal. I don't doubt people are frustrated.

kevin1025

Banned

There will always be console wars, unfortunately. Being happy about a game delay and how it could potentially damage the Xbox brand (in 2017 at least) is silly. But if they want to be negative with their time, I guess that's their business.

Rodelero

How was Halo Wars 2 "hilariously broken"?

I can't speak to the state of the campaign, but the multiplayer on Xbox One was incredibly buggy around launch. Playing a full game without something going severely wrong for me or one of my teammates was tricky. The framerate went through the floor at times too.

Rymuth

RtbRtrqX_8dyrI0ySCJG.gif

Was Red Dead 2 touted as part of the 'greatest line-up in Rockstar history'? Or, more specifically, it's inclusion is going to make 2017 'the best year for Rockstar'?

Top Bottom