• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to Spring 2018

Amazes me that this thread is 20 pages longer than the Red Dead 2 delay thread...
RtbRtrqX_8dyrI0ySCJG.gif

lol what does this even mean?

Anybody who actually thought RDR2 would release on its original date was delusional, that game is still a year and a half out. Crackdown 3 was supposed to release in a few weeks and be front and center of new hardware. Not even comparable.

RDR2 doesnt have an expensive console riding on it

You think 1X lives or dies on CD3? Jinkies...

Yeah... I don't quite understand that sentiment. The delay of Crackdown 3 is certainly frustrating, especially for people already upset with Microsoft's first party outfit. That being said, I really don't think it's the "make or break" title for the Xbox One X. I think the price and release date for the X are bigger factors for whether or not it will do will this fall, but that's a topic for another thread.

watership

I haven't read this entire thread and I don't doubt there is some fanboy nonsense going on with some posts. But you ignore those. They come from a disingenuous place.

Well the game needs more time. That's a clear fact. But this news is coupled with the growing concern over their output.

As I said. Their output has been abysmal. I don't doubt people are frustrated.

The situation is pretty bad. It's probably the worst it's been for 1st party Xbox support.

Boke1879

True but the difference between the games actual thread and the delay thread post count is astronomical for xbox games. A lot more concern

Of course when you look at context.

Their output this year has been terrible. It's been a growing concern everywhere. Not just here. So when you delay a game that was to launch alongside your new hardware. A game you just showed off at E3.

People will comment on that and bring in the context of everything.

Disappointing news, as this was my most anticipated game this year after Mario Odyssey. I'm assuming it's issues with the MP, given we've seen nothing of it since the Alpha demo and I can't see MS delaying the game because the graphics in the SP were a bit underwhelming.

Still, they didn't cancel it, now that'd be news that would get me riled up!

Papacheeks

Banned
I think the only conclusion that you can logically reach is that this is SonyGAF and everyone wants Microsoft to fail.

No.

Just No.

We want Xbox to be what it should be from the beginning of it's conception which is a fully realized gaming division that is not beholden or tied down by a bigger part of the company in how it operates.

And that goes all the way to the bottom of Xbox's issues as a division\Game Company. Phil loves games I think everyone can agree especially when he's shooting the shit with people from like Giant Bomb. But his decisions unfortunately are not absolute. They still in some way have to align somewhat with the parent company if they have some sort of overall outlook for entirety of their divisions.

And that there lies the issues XBox has always had. That video somebody showed of Seamus Blackley talking about his days of OG XBOX is enlightening to how the division was not started for the same reasons as Nintendo, Sony, Sega. If Microsoft had a history in Entertainment pre-og xbox from movies, music, and the likes. They would have treated the start up of the xbox brand/division differently and had already had some kind of relationships with entertainment entities that also produced games or similar products. Their relationships consisted a lot of PC developers, software companies that made software for business not entertainment.

But seeing that everyone's roots are different, the people behind xbox brand like Seamus, J allard should have had full control in all decisions xbox.

But that was not the case as time went on.

Xbox has an image, but mainly a cultural issue with gaming. NINTENDO, SEGA, Sony all had people that worked for their companies with ties to entertainment and video games are entertainment. MS had people tied to business, enterprise, PC, everything that had nothing to do with anything related to video game entertainment.

Unless Xbox can get a blank check, and can start over by going on a hiring spree for internal management, studios, and reach out to PC developer to either acquire or make exclusive games and IP for their box I don't see it getting any better.

And that's why xbox get's shit on so much is because it's a division that has to talk to a bigger part of a company that has little to nothing to do with entertainment.

Not really the "disaster" some are making it out to be. And pretty much expected if you've seen how rough it looks. Better to polish it up rather than release a turd (there's a joke in there about the futility of polishing turds...).

That said...this ain't a good look considering it's a showcase launch title for the X. I mean, MS 1st party/exclusive output is already slim pickins and this doesn't help matters. But, hey, the only upcoming Xbone / X exclusive I really care about is State of Decay 2 (Personally, I couldn't care less about Crackdown until it drops to $20 anyway).

KORNdoggy

Which still makes the Xbox X version the best version and there's an audience for that.

which is true, it's just not a huge one. just look at PRO sales. and if sony have ads for all these big third party games, and a ton of first party output all that's going to do is improve sales for sony consoles. that's how advertising works.

They have to hammer home that PS4 Pro is only compromised 4k. 2nd place. Inferior.

they can't really do that either. they can't harp on about true 4K when they're not hitting true 4K themselves in a lot of cases. and they can't show how much their games look better in commercials because sony are partnered with them all. they needed some awesome looking exclusives, but now all they have is forza.

which is true, it's just not a huge one. just look at PRO sales. and if sony have ads for all these big third party games, and a ton of first party output all that's going to do is improve sales for sony consoles. that's how advertising works.

they can't really do that either. they can't harp on about true 4K when they're not hitting true 4K themselves in a lot of cases. and they can't show how much their games look better in commercials because sony are partnered with them all. they needed some awesome looking exclusives, but now all they have is forza.

Yeah, it really seems like Microsoft either wasn't prepared for this year or just wanted to do a "soft" launch for the One X. Marketing partnerships with big third party games would have helped them a ton this fall for sure. Without that, their first party lineup just makes things look weak.

I think Crackdown 3 will be a better game for this delay, but I hope Microsoft is ready to go big or go home next year. They need strong first party support AND third party marketing deals to sell the One X to general consumers.

You can literally feel the glee in a lot of the posts in this thread. How do people not understand that a healthy Xbox is good for them, even if they don't play on Xbox.

Repeat after me; Competition is good, competition is good, competition is good.......

If this gen has shown anything it's that Xbox being a distant second is best for consumers. Not only have they made a ridiculously powerful console even though it probably won't reach PS4 Pro levels of sales, but if you wait to pick up an Xbox around Black Friday they practically give it to you for free.

Competition is healthy. Both sides doing equally well is not best for the average customer.

Rightfully so

Not when said games don't garner but a fraction of the attention/posts pre-cancellation. The way the Scalebound thread blew up (and this is getting there in record time) you would think it was a beloved, major AAA IP being cancelled. Instead the thread was full of talesfromthyass conspiracy theories and shitposting. I distinctly remember the consensus before that thread was that Scalebound looked very rough, but it's a Kamiya game so [insert benefit of the doubt here].

Crackdown 3 Black hole thread, anyone? Flooded with how bad or rough the game looked technically. Now they push it back, and we see a thread that vastly surpassed any other CD3 thread in 24 hours. I mean, I'd rather a polished game pushed back a bit then rushed to appease forum warriors. Then again, I don't care for Crackdown 3 personally. People literally saying in this thread that XB1X launch lives or dies on launch exclusive games? Firstly, LOL. Secondly, there are no exclusive games on XB1X. It shares the same library with the XB1S.

I mean, it's not hard to get where people are coming from when they talk about thread pages here. Seeing those posters get dogpiled doesn't really attest to anything because GAF does indeed swing more one way as far as preference goes. Not that that's a bad thing, mind. Just the way it is.

Nuke Soda

Judging from the gameplay that was a good decision. I hope the game we get in the end will be as good if not better than the first.

Kssio_Aug

After E3, did they show the MP?
I wonder if this delay is not related to the multiplayer mode... maybe it's not turning out as expected? Its curious how they didnt show anything about it at E3 after hyping so much the destruction capabilities.

KORNdoggy

Yeah, it really seems like Microsoft either wasn't prepared for this year or just wanted to do a "soft" launch for the One X. Marketing partnerships with big third party games would have helped them a ton this fall for sure. Without that, their first party lineup just makes things look weak.

I think Crackdown 3 will be a better game for this delay, but I hope Microsoft is ready to go big or go home next year. They need strong first party support AND third party marketing deals to sell the One X to general consumers.

they'll struggle with partnerships given the fact they're not market leader. i imagine its easier to bet on the winning horse when it comes to these sorts of deals, or you have to pay through the nose to acquire them. i mean, they do have the new mordor game, and potentially assassins creed based on it being shown off on stage at E3? so they're not devoid of partnerships. but sony have this fall wrapped up and next year they even have RDR.

it's all about mindshare. and if all the ads are saying these games are on PS4 then chances are it's going to sell more on that platform and shift consoles while it's at it. that's what advertising does. MS are just in a bad place for a company releasing new hardware.

Superkewl

Gold Member
would rather it be delayed than a crappy version released. Who knows? maybe the delayed version will be crappy anyway.

True but the difference between the games actual thread and the delay thread post count is astronomical for xbox games. A lot more concern

GAF gonna GAF...

Sane_Man

Not when said games don't garner but a fraction of the attention/posts pre-cancellation. The way the Scalebound thread blew up (and this is getting there in record time) you would think it was a beloved, major AAA IP being cancelled. Instead the thread was full of talesfromthyass conspiracy theories and shitposting. I distinctly remember the consensus before that thread was that Scalebound looked very rough, but it's a Kamiya game so [insert benefit of the doubt here].

Crackdown 3 Black hole thread, anyone? Flooded with how bad or rough the game looked technically. Now they push it back, and we see a thread that vastly surpassed any other CD3 thread in 24 hours. I mean, I'd rather a polished game pushed back a bit then rushed to appease forum warriors. Then again, I don't care for Crackdown 3 personally. People literally saying in this thread that XB1X launch lives or dies on launch exclusive games? Firstly, LOL. Secondly, there are no exclusive games on XB1X. It shares the same library with the XB1S.

I mean, it's not hard to get where people are coming from when they talk about thread pages here. Seeing those posters get dogpiled doesn't really attest to anything because GAF does indeed swing more one way as far as preference goes. Not that that's a bad thing, mind. Just the way it is.

You're still missing the point. If Sony delayed a game this year it wouldn't have caused as much of a stir because they have a bunch of others. Microsoft however have been struggling for exclusives pretty much for the life of XB1 but especially this year, so delaying exclusives for them is a bigger deal and causes a bigger stir and therefore a thread with more pages.

kevin1025

Banned
After E3, did they show the MP?
I wonder if this delay is not related to the multiplayer mode... maybe it's not turning out as expected? Its curious how they didnt show anything about it at E3 after hyping so much the destruction capabilities.

They had a Comic Con thing where celebrities played the single player part of the game while not knowing much of anything about games, which was not so hot. I figured multiplayer would be the big thing for Gamescom, I imagine not now.

Flavius

We probably could have avoided several hundred responses just by having folks play Crackdown 2.

Hype was huge on that one, and everyone was saying all the right things...and then people got their hands on it.

Happy they're delaying it. Keep delaying it until it's done, good and proper.

ShapeGSX

We probably could have avoided several hundred responses just by having folks play Crackdown 2.

Hype was huge on that one, and everyone was saying all the right things...and then people got their hands on it.

And I still probably put 100 hours or more into it. Crackdown crack is addictive.

Electret

No.

Just No.

We want Xbox to be what it should be from the beginning of it's conception which is a fully realized gaming division that is not beholden or tied down by a bigger part of the company in how it operates.

And that goes all the way to the bottom of Xbox's issues as a division\Game Company. Phil loves games I think everyone can agree especially when he's shooting the shit with people from like Giant Bomb. But his decisions unfortunately are not absolute. They still in some way have to align somewhat with the parent company if they have some sort of overall outlook for entirety of their divisions.

And that there lies the issues XBox has always had. That video somebody showed of Seamus Blackley talking about his days of OG XBOX is enlightening to how the division was not started for the same reasons as Nintendo, Sony, Sega. If Microsoft had a history in Entertainment pre-og xbox from movies, music, and the likes. They would have treated the start up of the xbox brand/division differently and had already had some kind of relationships with entertainment entities that also produced games or similar products. Their relationships consisted a lot of PC developers, software companies that made software for business not entertainment.

But seeing that everyone's roots are different, the people behind xbox brand like Seamus, J allard should have had full control in all decisions xbox.

Xbox has an image, but mainly a cultural issue with gaming. NINTENDO, SEGA, Sony all had people that worked for their companies with ties to entertainment and video games are entertainment. MS had people tied to business, enterprise, PC, everything that had nothing to do with anything related to video game entertainment.

Unless Xbox can get a blank check, and can start over by going on a hiring spree for internal management, studios, and reach out to PC developer to either acquire or make exclusive games and IP for their box I don't see it getting any better.

And that's why xbox get's shit on so much is because it's a division that has to talk to a bigger part of a company that has little to nothing to do with entertainment.

This is a great post. As you said, a significant portion of the issues we see with MS first party are more systemic, cultural in nature. Their approach is a bit more business-centric and rooted in success like Office, as Blackley pointed out in that podcast. All the money they've undoubtedly sunk into disappointing first party efforts or outright bombs only reinforced that perspective, and seemingly caused their budget to be cut. I really wish Xbox's leadership had more autonomy to go crazy with game development.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You think CD3 is a title to showcase new hardware? Have you seen it? They have that covered with Forza, so don't worry about that.

It most definitely would have been my pick to showcase the X. All that destruction with a stable framerate would be killer.

Shin-Ra

Here's the context of that article: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/844691056830509056

7EoHC6jJQKiNGpsgi8qsuQ.png

It seems clearly that "launch games" here means new titles.
Eeeh, I don't know. He always seem genuine to me.

Phil Spencer said:
When I watch the other platforms, it's not always clear to me when the games are shipping or how many of them are shipping this year.

And then when I think about next year for us, I think about Sea of Thieves; I think about Scalebound; I think about Halo Wars 2; we've got Crackdown coming; we've got State of Decay 2 which we showed on stage. I'm really proud of the line-up that the studios have and we continue to deliver year-in and year-out. It's an art form,
<...>
And to say that the other consoles are doing a better job shipping more games for their customer... I don't see that.

- Link
Phil499.gif

Servbot24

Banned
Probably good for the game since it was not looking very good to me.

What a rough year for XBox though, made worse by Sony and Nintendo having great years. Hopefully this results in an onslaught of XB titles in 2018.

No.

Just No.

And that goes all the way to the bottom of Xbox's issues as a divisionGame Company. Phil loves games I think everyone can agree especially when he's shooting the shit with people from like Giant Bomb. But his decisions unfortunately are not absolute. They still in some way have to align somewhat with the parent company if they have some sort of overall outlook for entirety of their divisions.

Good post

Well if it's not your concern, why did you ask me about it then? Particularly when I never questioned their right to a preference in the first place. I question how some go about that preference when in some cases their behaviour isn't any better than what they have banned some individuals for.

I asked you whether mods were allowed to have an opinion, not about how they might express it. Keep up. I was addressing the point you were addressing by using mods expressing platform bias as a response to a point about NeoGaf not being a hivemind.

No.

Just No.

I'm not angry. I realize MS' computer and software sales are doing way better and improving their image than an Xbox. And ultimately that's where their focus will always be. The computer market is where they will try to revolutionize and bring their A game. Video games are just a fun little side thing. You can feel angry but you also have put aside your gaming hobby and understand that's business. I fully understand Nadella acting the way he is around Xbox. Why stress yourself with trying to fully appease the gaming market when you can invest more into another field that's working?

Chao

If there's one game which needed to have level 3's graphics tightened up, surely was crackdown 3.

What a hell of development cycle.

meerak

Good, it looked awful.

I know it sucks for a delay, but it wouldn't have done anyone any favours by coming out and sucking. Hopefully they can polish it up by the new date. As much as Crackdown isn't a "huge" franchise, it definitely needs to stick its landing right now.

Servbot24

Banned
Amazes me that this thread is 20 pages longer than the Red Dead 2 delay thread...
RtbRtrqX_8dyrI0ySCJG.gif

Why would that amaze you? They are incredibly different situations. Everyone expected the RDR delay, it was delayed with plenty of notice, it was delayed for the first time, and there isn't a console that will be lacking exclusives due to the delay. Exact opposite for CD3.

No.

Just No.

Great post... and I actually think that this is the primary reason why I believe strongly that Xbox as a business is very much out of place as a part of MS. The above is all the justification you need for them to spin off the division and sell it to someone like Amazon, Disney or even someone like Viacom.

jayu26

Great post... and I actually think that this is the primary reason why I believe strongly that Xbox as a business is very much out of place as a part of MS. The above is all the justification you need for them to spin off the division and sell it to someone like Amazon, Disney or even someone like Viacom.
Samsung. Seriously Samsung, put some those tank money into a games console.

EA would be one of the top buyers for Xbox.

Oemenia

Banned
Remember Driveclub?

Remember the weekly threads telling us how good it is now?

But somehow XBOX is doomed because of a game delay.

Top Bottom