• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmmm.... I'm guessing we can't just enquire about it?

I've never tried, but I'm inclined to say probably not. A publisher such as Night Dive might have better luck considering its interest would be professional. Of course, there's also the distinct possibility the details of what assets were sold and where they went have been lost to time.

Good on Crash and Sony/VV/Activision. IIRC this easily makes it the best-selling game since the original Naughty Dog games, and considering it's only made that much in just three months, I could see the total lifetime sales going being close to the original entries (which were 5-6 mil.).

Ought to be really interesting to see how a new Crash sequel turns out, as well as a Crash Team Racing remake/sequel.

fortunato

Banned
Good on Crash and Sony/VV/Activision. IIRC this easily makes it the best-selling game since the original Naughty Dog games, and considering it's only made that much in just three months, I could see the total lifetime sales going being close to the original entries (which were 5-6 mil.).

Ought to be really interesting to see how a new Crash sequel turns out, as well as a Crash Team Racing remake/sequel.

Wrath of Cortex sold really well. It sold 2m in US only and IIRC was one of the 2001 best-selling games in UK.

xviper

well deserved, it's the most fun i had in a platformer game since Mario galaxy 2, even thought they haven't improved the controls and just improved the graphics, it still felt like i was playing it for the first time again, maybe now we will get a proper sequel and most importantly, CTR remake

SNURB

I find it hilarious that some people are legitimately upset by Crash's success. I guess some people don't want others to have some enjoyment.

Wrath of Cortex sold really well. It sold 2m in US only and IIRC was one of the 2001 best-selling games in UK.

That's super weird considering that Universal themselves weren't pleased with the end result and actually planned to kill the series off with CNK according to Charles Zembillas who worked on the original trilogy and was brought back by VV/Universal for CNK.

I find it hilarious that some people are legitimately upset by Crash's success. I guess some people don't want others to have some enjoyment.

At this point it's just pathetic and flat out weird. I'll never understand the ire a harmless series such as this raises.

These sales are deserved.

Colocho

Banned
While the first 3 Crash games are probably my favorite 3D platformers of all time, I never imagined this remake/remaster would be so fucking popular. Great stuff.

fortunato

Banned
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's not about me, though. I'm talking about the wonderful commercial performance of this game, and trying to explain the factors and the environments behind this successful game.

That's super weird considering that Universal themselves weren't pleased with the end result and actually planned to kill the series off with CNK according to Charles Zembillas who worked on the original trilogy and was brought back by VV/Universal for CNK.

Perhaps they had higher expectations...? After all, the franchise went to sell from 6-7m units on PS1 to below 5m on PS2/GC/Xbox.

lol this is bullshit on all counts

What 3DS fighting games even tried? Because I'm pretty sure Street Fighter 4 sold a fuckton on 3DS as well. Same goes for PS4 and platformers. Go browse the store for platformers, there's really not too many quality games.

SFIV: 3D was a launch game. And the highest profile third-party game to launch alongside the system.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions, which was critically praised, failed. Tekken failed. That sorry DBZ game failed.

What else you got besides launch game outliers?

Only source I could find on WoC was The Magic Box, and it sold 1.21M in the US. Am willing to take your word for it though, I don't have any qualms to challenge anyone on the sales numbers.

Tapejara

It's not about me, though. I'm talking about the wonderful commercial performance of this game, and trying to explain the factors and the environments behind this successful game.

Perhaps they had higher expectations...? After all, the franchise went to sell from 6-7m units on PS1 to below 5m on PS2/GC/Xbox.

The 6-7 million is lifetime though, correct? N.Sane has crossed 2.5 million in just under three months, and looks to have legs. I could see it crossing reaching 6-7 million lifetime, especially if it ends up getting Switch/Xbox/PC ports.

fortunato

Banned
Only source I could find on WoC was The Magic Box, and it sold 1.21M in the US. Am willing to take your word for it though, I don't have any qualms to challenge anyone on the sales numbers.

The Magic Box has Wrath of Cortex at 1.95m.

The 6-7 million is lifetime though, correct? N.Sane has crossed 2.5 million in just under three months, and looks to have legs. I could see it crossing reaching 6-7 million lifetime, especially if it ends up getting Switch/Xbox/PC ports.

LTD.

Of course the Trilogy will keep selling well over time. Those are timeless games, after all.

Ushay

See MS/Rare, Banjo has a great chance, even just a flat out remake of the original would be a hit.

Well done to the team behind Crash.

PedroRVD

3 remasters of nostalgia games at a budget price in a console that more than 60 million people have. I thought it would sell much more.

As a fan of the genre I’m very happy and excited to see it return for good this generation 🙌🏻

mejin

3 remasters of nostalgia games at a budget price in a console that more than 60 million people have. I thought it would sell much more.

As a fan of the genre I’m very happy and excited to see it return for good this generation 🙌🏻

We had several games beating 1M this year on PS4. That's where those 60M come in hand.

MrBadger

It just goes to show that it's been a huge mistake that Crash has been gone for this long. Congrats!

Crash was going down a pretty bad path before they put the series on hold. I think it's for the best that they scrapped the series and made a strong comeback when the mediocre games were largely forgotten. Hopefully the next game in the franchise builds on the momentum this one created, rather than being a low budget imitation or a completely different game with Crash's face slapped on.

Rellik

There is already a CTR sequel and it was shit.

Ogawa-san

I mean, there was another pack of remasters that fit that description that bombed horribly. Every time I see how popular the Crash collection was, it reminds me of it.

WipeOut Omega Collection fell straight off the face of the earth. A week after launch I couldn't find anyone streaming it anymore :(

I mean, there was another pack of remasters that fit that description that bombed horribly. Every time I see how popular the Crash collection was, it reminds me of it.

WipeOut Omega Collection fell straight off the face of the earth. A week after launch I couldn't find anyone streaming it anymore :(

Weekend of release the online was a fucking ghost town. Never more than 2-3 races up.

I can't really blame Sony for not supporting Wipeout when it's really just gamers who don't support Wipeout.

Ratchet sales for comparison

b33pW7T.png
Chartz isn't a good source.

Either PSX or E3 2018 announcement. Book it

Do it Sony.
Yeah I definitely think Spyro will come now, I just wonder if they'll be able to announce it that fast since it hasn't been that long since they finished Crash.

And hopefully more platformers in general too.

With this success Acti and Sony should make a deal for a new Crash game, if VV is ready to do it, to help get it off the ground quickly so that it can be ready in a couple of years, maybe even around launch of PS5 if it takes 2-3 years to develop.

Top Bottom