• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crashmo/Fallblox |OT| Heart-Shaped Blox

8056217419_a9e8770e1a_b.jpeg

B9OGD.jpg

Crashmo1.jpg

Release Date
Japan: October 31st 2012 (¥700)
jauj.gif

Europe: November 15th 2012 (£7.20/€7.99)
North America: November 22nd 2012 (?)

Developer: Intelligent Systems

A sequel to the best-selling game on the 3DS eShop, Crashmo (or Fallblox depending on where in the world you are) is a puzzle game from Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem, Paper Mario) where you must get to the top of Tetris looking puzzle boxes called "Crashmos". As the adorable little sumo Mallo, you have to push, pull, and climb your way to the top of the box to save the birds you've inadvertently spooked off.

Official Press Release from Nintendo:
Puzzle fans will soon be able to enjoy the follow-up to one of the most popular puzzle-platformers of the year when Fallblox becomes available for download from Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS on 15th November. Fallblox sees the return of Mallo, the sumo-wrestler-shaped hero from the original Pullblox, as he pushes, pulls and climbs his way to the rescue – but with gravity and a much bigger play field to contend with, he’s going to have his hands full…

Gameplay Videos

European Launch Trailer
Nintendo Direct Introduction of the Game
12 Minutes of Gameplay (Japanese)

Reviews

Eurogamer - 8/10
"Fallblox is yet another Intelligent Systems game that seems to truly know its place in the world: it's happy to be a smart little download treat that comes alive for a few minutes every night before bed. Nobody's ever going to buy a Fallblox tie-in novel or watch a mini-series set in the expanded Fallblox universe. Instead, the design team has crafted a playful, ingenious, and admirably economical experience composed of dozens of satisfying moments. It's a game about tidying up, finding order, and making a pocket-sized universe behave the way you want it to."
Pocket Gamer - 9/10
"Fallblox is exactly what we were hoping for in a Pullblox sequel, and provides yet another essential download for the Nintendo 3DS eShop. Put simply, you need this game in your life."
Nintendo Gamer - 88%
"A solid follow-up to one of the best eShop games. It's obviously not quite as revolutionary as its predecessor and the new freedom it gives may put off some people but it's another impressive puzzler."
Nintendo Life - 9/10
"Mallo's second outing is another massive success; Fallblox constantly surprises, impresses and challenges in equal measures. Even in its difficult moments – and there are plenty – it encourages players to have fun and never significantly punishes errors. Fallblox boasts level design and creativity that many games can only dream of; developer Intelligent Systems' name has never seemed more appropriate."
Edge - 7 out of 10
"The issues in the difficulty curve are made all the more pertinent because, outside of its light tutorials, the game offers little in the way of true training or lessons, instead taking a hands-off approach and hoping that you will learn by doing. For tenacious players and those inclined towards the genre, Fallblox could prove an irresistible draw, with clearing its parade of cryptic conundrums a delicious prospect. For others, the game’s difficulty, and its visual and thematic linearity, will prove tiresome, their enthusiasm for its self-evident ingenuity petering out before each of its challenges has fallen."
Metacritic - 85 out of 100

New Features

- Puzzles now respond to gravity; if you pull out a supporting block, the one above it will come "crashing" down.
- The D-Pad now rotates the camera. Pushmo played from a 2D perspective, but now puzzles are 360 degrees, adding loads of potential for confusing puzzle mayhem.
- QR Codes can now be saved directly from the 3DS's Internet Browser, meaning if you don't have your laptop handy getting new levels is much easier.
- Whilst in Pushmo you were saving children trapped in "Pushmos" in Crashmo you are saving birds whom Mallo scared off doing a sumo stomp. His friend needs these birds to carry her home.
- There are a variety of new level features, including Cloud Blocks, which do not obey the laws of gravity, and Doors,which function similarly to Ladders though they come out the sides of blocks rather than the bottom and tops of them.
- You now have three separate save slots

There are 140 main levels, 90 training levels, and also 20 more challenges released via SpotPass by Nintendo. There's also the return of the popular level editor, meaning the game lasts as long as you want it to, and this thread would be a great place to share such levels. These levels are easily transferred via the use of QR Codes, so simply take a picture and the level shows up in your game.

QR Codes
img.jpg
W0j3Q.jpg

img.jpg

GvcZQ.jpg

hni_0015_jpgc4qwe.jpg

hni_0016_jpgdcucr.jpg

hni_0017_jpgp8sc4.jpg

KgRqd.jpg

ZLM8X.jpg

bcf3E.jpg

0PCuw.jpg

Chopper

I thought CoolS had dibs on this? Anyway, decent OP.

Will buy. Looks hard as hell though. And I never finished the first one!

The obviously increased difficulty puts the fear in me.

Still can't wait, though. Pullblox was last year's DD Game of the Year for me, so I have high hopes.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Great OT
Just one correction - Nintendo Gamer seem to have scored the game 88%, not 87%.
Not your fault. They seem to be unable to make up their minds - earlier in the day, I swear it was scored 90%

Great OT
Just one correction - Nintendo Gamer seem to have scored the game 88%, not 87%.
Not your fault. They seem to be unable to make up their minds - earlier in the day, I swear it was scored 90%

Thanks, I'll change it. Never made an OT before, didn't know what the etiquette was... hopefully nobody had one pre-made!

Digital GOTY incoming. Tomorrow my 3DS will be happy.

Agreed. Mario who?

Phazon

Still have to play a lot more puzzels, but for what it's worth, I'll probably give it a score at the eind of the 80's. :)

CoolS

I thought CoolS had dibs on this? Anyway, decent OP.

Will buy. Looks hard as hell though. And I never finished the first one!
Anybody from Japan who already has the game, show me dem QR Codes!

NOTE: It's been bought to my attention CoolS claimed the OT. Apologies. If he still wants to make it, I'll gladly give that one prominence.

Oh man, I totally missed the release. Since the OP did a great job it's okay and this thread can stay up. Just keep updating that first thread with all the awesome QR codes, ScreenSplitter! Otherwise I'll eb deeply disappointed!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Well, guess what I'll be doing this time tomorrow.

Shaffield

i am so goddamn hyped

normally i would wait until after finals, but i really don't think i have the willpower to keep myself away

zroid

Banned
Oh man, I totally missed the release. Since the OP did a great job it's okay and this thread can stay up. Just keep updating that first thread with all the awesome QR codes, ScreenSplitter! Otherwise I'll eb deeply disappointed!

Crisis averted! :)

You're a gent and a scholar. I'll keep posting them if people keep making them! I just thought, since levels are in full 3D now won't level creation be pretty different?

http://wheredoesgodzillapoop.com/?p=3442

Don't know whether to add this to the OT. Guy gives the game 2/4, his qualm with the game being that it's too difficult...

Trying to get through the rest of Pushmo before this comes out. SOOOO GOOOOOOD.

It's no easy task. Didn't think this would be coming to the eShop for another week, so I deleted my Pushmo save and started again (My brother completed a good chunk of the puzzles, the cool Nintendo ones too!). I'll stay up tonight. Looking at how the different mechanics operate, Pushmo might well survive on it's own, more simplistic merit.

Shaffield

http://wheredoesgodzillapoop.com/?p=3442

Don't know whether to add this to the OT. Guy gives the game 2/4, his qualm with the game being that it's too difficult...

its not really a poorly written review, but the score and negatives don't really make any sense.
its a puzzle game, and his main problem is that it "has nothing to offer beyond a tough puzzle except for another, tougher puzzle".

is that not the point...?

i would leave it out of the OP.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's no easy task. Didn't think this would be coming to the eShop for another week, so I deleted my Pushmo save and started again (My brother completed a good chunk of the puzzles, the cool Nintendo ones too!). I'll stay up tonight. Looking at how the different mechanics operate, Pushmo might well survive on it's own, more simplistic merit.
I entirely expect Fallblox to be to Pushmo what Excite Bots was to Excite Trucks.

its not really a poorly written review, but the score and negatives don't really make any sense.
its a puzzle game, and his main problem is that it "has nothing to offer beyond a tough puzzle except for another, tougher puzzle".

is that not the point...?

i would leave it out of the OP.

Yeah to be honest a 4 point scale is pretty restrictive anyway. If you don't like puzzles... you don't, I guess. I don't really, there's just something about the Bloxmo series (which I am totally calling it from now on) that speaks to me.

I entirely expect Fallblox to be to Pushmo what Excite Bots was to Excite Trucks.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with them, in what way?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Question:

Anyone know if you can import Pullblox QR codes into this game?
Would be a nice touch.

Question:

Anyone know if you can import Pullblox QR codes into this game?
Would be a nice touch.

Unfortunately it's been confirmed you can't. I guess they wouldn't really make much sense with the new mechanics.

Just got to the Nintendo Murals in Pushmo/Pullblox again, so cool how the soundtrack goes kind of 8-bit in this section

Today's the day people! Updated the OP with a review from Nintendo Life, and the general Metacritic score, which is looking very encouraging.

I unfortunately won't be able to pick up the game untill about 3PM, though with how the eShop updates it may not be up there before then anyway.

Top Bottom