• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrashPlan ends consumer/home backup service

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Yes, it works, but not with the simplest version of a mounted network drive. You have to ensure that the drive is mounted in a way that makes it appear like a local drive in the OS. You can do this by using iSCSI if it is supported by your NAS. Alternatively, you can use a third-party program like StableBit CloudDrive (not free) which uses a kernel driver to create a virtual drive, which you can use to mount network shares.

Hm, that sounds needless complicated... Bummer
Why does BackBlaze make an exemption for NAS drives, I mean what's the point? I want of course backup all my data...

tokkun

Hm, that sounds needless complicated... Bummer
Why does BackBlaze make an exemption for NAS drives, I mean what's the point? I want of course backup all my data...

It's a business reason, not a technical one. They sell licenses on a per-computer basis. So if they allowed backup of network drives, it would be trivial for people to game the system and backup multiple computers with a single license.

grmlin

two quick questions:

- does crashplanpro (the business plan) use the same shit tier backup software for the client?
- is there anything else that runs on a Windows Home Server? Crashplan works fine, it just seems to push my "old" NAS/Server with WHS 2011 to it's limits

Li Kao

Uh I can't find a way to select files for backup in Backblaze. I know that it's their whole automatic spiel, but I'm not confortable with that level of abstraction.
May have to hit the bullet on Crashplan Pro.

Ixian

Uh I can't find a way to select files for backup in Backblaze. I know that it's their whole automatic spiel, but I'm not confortable with that level of abstraction.
May have to hit the bullet on Crashplan Pro.
Backblaze is exclude only it appears.

Kareha

I took their offer to move over to the Small Business backup solution, only costing me $2.49 for the first 12 months after my current Home sub runs out on 26/05/2018. I only had 4.4TB backed up so luckily was just below the 5TB cutoff, phew :)

tokkun

Yeah, I'm warming up to the idea. Still undecided, I like my customizable backup.

I don't see any difference in customizability. It's just a whitelist vs a blacklist. They can be customized to the same degree. For the most part, a blacklist probably makes more sense for typical users, since it is usually going to be better to include files by default rather than excluding them. The odds that you lose a file because you forgot to set up a rule for it are much lower with a blacklist than a whitelist.

shandy706

I took their offer to move over to the Small Business backup solution, only costing me $2.49 for the first 12 months after my current Home sub runs out on 26/05/2018. I only had 4.4TB backed up so luckily was just below the 5TB cutoff, phew :)

Yep, did the same.

$2.49 a month for a year, then $10 a month after that for peace of mind is fine by me.

Mine was going to run out next month, so a year at $2.50 a month is sweet.

crashplan93x9r.png

I was a CrashPlan Family user. I've had to do a lot of weird juggling...

I'm doing a weird combo of Backblaze and Google Coldline storage via Arq.

If you are paying for family members' backup, you can use Backblaze's Group option:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/groups-speeds-family-backup/

Depending on how many computers you have, it's likely more expensive than CP's Family plan...But at least you can manage and pay for everything in one place.

I went back and forth about which cold storage provider to use for my external archive drive. I looked at Backblaze's B2 but was getting worried about having all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak...To their credit, they just brought up a new Phoenix-based data center. But for the most part, everything is stored in their single Sacramento DC...I went with Google Coldline since it's, you know, Google. It's competitively priced as well and they have multiple data centers.

Top Bottom