• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crave: Thief PS4s Low Framerate is Proof that 1080p isn’t Always the Answer

dolabla

Sloppy port is sloppy port. Graphics don't even look that good. Good thing I don't care about playing the game.

Mrbob

Shouldn't posting personal info not allowed? I knew he was Jleack but I thought posting this info was bannable, no?

His personal info isn't posted. Just connected the dots to the crazy person who is the author of this article.

Hmm, Deus Ex wasn't impressive graphically even when maxed on PCs. This game should be running 60 fps at 1080p on both systems. Looks pretty unimpressive visually.

Orca

I'm confused by this authors premise. 1080P is bad because a game runs on another console at 900P with lots of frame rate drops too? Sounds like a bad port to me.

Lets just go back to 480i gaming for everyone.

The premise seems pretty simple - blind adherence to 1080p as a MUST HAVE resolution might not be ideal if the framerate suffers as a result. If the game could be 900p and have a rock solid 30 fps with a still acceptable image quality, that would probably be preferable to most people.

That goes back to the idea of 'balance' that people have a tragic tendency to just start overreacting to and creating console wars out of whenever someone mentions it.

Developers - no matter what the platform, even PC - need to make concessions to hit the goal they have in mind. They can choose to hit 1080p and laden the engine with effects until it chokes down into the single frames per second so they have an amazing looking slide show or - which is the more realistic result - they find some balance of less effects and lower resolution that gives an acceptable frame rate while maintaining the atmosphere they wanted for the game. On PC they can simply demand the user buy new hardware if they want the image AND acceptable framerate, accepting that sales may suffer (or grow) because of the hardware requirements, but on PS4/Xbox One they need to make those decisions before it ships.

Before I comment on this.

Did OP really pick THIS ARTICLE of all ARTICLES from N4G to post here? I mean, come on now, we all know how that site functions. I seen this in my feeds and it was a load of bull from the get.

To comment on this.

I believe it's shoddy programming. Evidence proves that other heavy cinematic games like AC4, KZ:SF, Tomb Raider etc.. are capable of handling itself well on both platform especially the PS4. Now all of a sudden the PS4 can't handle it? That's bull and this article is trying to fight the good fight. The PS4 nor the Xbox version doesn't handle well, and 1080p doesn't change that. It could of been 900p or 720p, if the game runs like crap, it runs like crap. All this article is really trying to do is discredit the PS4 with one game. I don't understand how Thief under-performing due to its tight budget compared to other games, is a reason to be concerned about future Sony titles that will do it right. Please..

Nobody said 1080p low frame rate is the answer. Everyone said 1080p 60 fps is the answer. 30 fps minimum.
And I'd even bet that most here would choose framerate over resolution, given the choice in a game like Titanfall. Sure seems that way from my anecdotal read from previous threads and comments.

Ultimately there is no universal silver bullet when you have to make performance tradeoffs. You have to make the best choices given how the game plays and what options are actually feasible.

That said I'd consider any game with single digit framerates to be broken.

Guymelef

Shouldn't posting personal info not allowed? I knew he was Jleack but I thought posting this info was bannable, no?

The article is signed "Jonathan Leack"
Google Jonathan Leack crave twitter
Result: @jleack
Search jleack
Result: Neogaf

I don't see any personal info there.

The Cowboy

This developer isn't known for their optimization either. Deus Ex HR was fucked up on PC for many people for a long time.

And the HR DC version still is, I have no faith in this dev team fixing/optimizing this on PS4 after the abandoned the DC of HR.

isn't certification just to make sure the game doesn't crash the OS? I don't think performance, in-game bugs and quality aren't looked at.

Cert is full QA process done be FQA (Format QA) or FPQA (First Party QA) (for Sony platforms). This comes after the game has gone through its internal QA process and has been put forward for submission.

Shitty framerates get through of course, but its all tested and reported.

Hexa

the author of the article is the same person who made these posts regarding titanfall and is now banned

you can take a guess why

Its probably a good idea to ban sites that employ fanboys so transparent that they make posts like that. :/

Oh well. I'll wait for Digital Foundry.

Game's not done, and we know the PS4 can handle 1080p just fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were less than stellar optimization efforts between different developers. It does happen, but I'd wait for the finished game before believing this stuff.

Stop ganging up on Phire Phox! His posts are highly entertaining if not correct.

Terrible to hear that both the X1 and PS4 versions dip so badly :(

Scottiths

Banned
I'm confused by this authors premise. 1080P is bad because a game runs on another console at 900P with lots of frame rate drops too? Sounds like a bad port to me.

Lets just go back to 480i gaming for everyone.

This sort of argument bothers me. It is like saying, my email doesn't work well so lets go back to writing on stone tablets. Instead of saying, my email isn't working lets write on paper and send a letter. 1080 is email and 720 is paper in this analogy, 480 is the stone tablet.

Game's not done, and we know the PS4 can handle 1080p just fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were less than stellar optimization efforts between different developers. It does happen, but I'd wait for the finished game before believing this stuff.

The game is finished, reviewed and out this week.

Dizzy

Banned
Makes me glad I switched to PC this gen. Shame I heard rhe game isn't that great though. Will wait for a steam sale or something.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Console wars aside, just what the hell happened to this project.

Issues like this added to the fact that the game had a stupidly long dev time, clearly had development hell issues going on and the team forgot what Thief was meant to be about along the way.

Of course the game uses UE3, which is baffling considering that the team could've and should've switched to the Crystal engine used for HR and the rest of the former Eidos devs. Instead they load UE3 with crap, making an engine that could run on a toaster by now chug on next gen systems and PC too, while not exactly looking "next gen" at all.

Er..wow. Think this one will go down in the manuals of "How to not make a AAA game". SE take note.

Cert is full QA process done be FQA (Format QA) or FPQA (First Party QA) (for Sony platforms). This comes after the game has gone through its internal QA process and has been put forward for submission.

Shitty framerates get through of course, but its all tested and reported.

so tested and reported but not rejected correct? is there a bare minimum performance threshold that needs to be met before the OK is given?

Dragon

Banned
Stop ganging up on Phire Phox! His posts are highly entertaining if not correct.

Terrible to hear that both the X1 and PS4 versions dip so badly :(

Man I feel bad for poor Phire Phox. First he set his sights on little old Firefox, which is declining more than Steve Ballmer's bank account and now he has to deal with this Xbox One business.

Makes me glad I switched to PC this gen. Shame I heard rhe game isn't that great though. Will wait for a steam sale or something.

It seems like it's not really that optimized for PC either unfortunately.

cchum

Jonathan Leack ‏@jleack Feb 22
Something about Thief is going to blow up the console war once embargo is lifted.

this guy seems legit

lol....yawn.

PS4 higher resolution and they both drop frames.

No one cares really.

SJRB

Gold Member
Jonathan Leack ‏@jleack Feb 22
Something about Thief is going to blow up the console war once embargo is lifted.

Jonathan Leack ‏@jleack 8h
Here's the megaton I was talking about: http://www.craveonline.com/?p=650465
#thief #ps4 #xboxone

this guy seems legit

Good lord.

We should just stop giving this guy attention, remove the link from the OP and just close this nonsense down.

Framerate>Resolution>Graphical quality is the proper hierarchy. This "but it doesn't matttteerrrr" bullshit are contrarian gaming journalists who don't know what they're talking about.

Eusis

so tested and reported but not rejected correct? is there a bare minimum performance threshold that needs to be met before the OK is given?
Probably just needs to not hang for moments without anything happening like when you have bad settings set on your computer for a game. Even a solid 5 FPS would be preferable there (though I sure as hell hope it's also the same kind of game we would've actually gotten at that FPS decades ago rather than a modern, faster paced shooter or whatever.)

There is a minimum framerate requirement. In fact there might be two, interactive and non-interactive. I can't remember exactly what the number is (I can find out in the morning). IIRC it was 10fps for a duration of X seconds, but I honeslty can't remember.

But yes it could be rejected if the framerate made the game literally unplayable. I am sure some games have managed to squeeze by in the past though...

Fbh

Most reviews I've read mention frame rate issues on both the Ps4 and X1. No review I've seen mentions a notorious difference between one and the other, which I think they would do if the game truly went to single digit fps.

Still, this looks like lazy porting.
From the video I've seen this game doesn't look very good as far as graphics go (compared to other cross gen games like battlefield or even Black Flag), I can hardly imagine it pushing the next gen consoles.

Seriously, this is an Unreal Engine cross generational game, what the heck happened? It should at least be like Tomb Raider in terms of respective graphical boost and performance a la PS4/XBone.

Do these people actually believe what they are typing? Are they so clouded in their judgement that they can't see the obvious? Or are they just such pathetic people that they're deliberately peddling lies? I really can't get my head around this sort of thing. It's a damn games console, not the second coming of Jesus.

Top Bottom