• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crave: Thief PS4s Low Framerate is Proof that 1080p isn’t Always the Answer

MavFan619

Banned
Does anyone take Phire Phox seriously? Cherry picking the only article among many reviews that gives the X1 a perceived advantage over the PS4 (which is contradicted by pretty much every other article out there) just comes across as silly. C'mon now.
I'm a hardcore nerd these are the sorts of things I notice, picking up my broken PS4 copy of Thief tomorrow :(

1080p is a standard, if you can't utilize the power of PS4 to achieve it, maybe the engine is shit and/or the dev team needs to slow down the dev cycle and not release garbage to the gaming community because of some theoretical deadline.

Mrbob

I'm confused by this authors premise. 1080P is bad because a game runs on another console at 900P with lots of frame rate drops too? Sounds like a bad port to me.

Lets just go back to 480i gaming for everyone.

Evidence seems to point to the game being a rather unoptimized mess on consoles, regardless of the resolution. Blame the QA, not the technical parameters they were shooting for.

QA? No, you don't understand how game development works if that's what you think.

EvB

Why force 1080p if the framerate suffers, is there some 1080p rule for PS4 games? BF4 would be the exception.

Lower the resolution on both systems, if both are struggling at 1080 & 900p.

There could well be for all us normal people know , riding on the back of the 1080 hype wave.

The difference in performance drop in the teens isn't usually justified by slightly lowered resolution unless there is also another issue contributing.

I think the game is running out of memory on the PS4 because it was likely optimized on the Xbox One and its ESRAM, which is causing the framerate on PS4 to dive into the teens when the game is loading data in and out of the RAM.

The higher the resolution, the more RAM is needed to buffer the data loading.

Chabbles

"regularly dipping into the 15-20 range during gameplay. At several points in the journey, it even edges toward the single digits"

Unacceptable if this is true. Regular dips to 15-20 guarantees i wont be buying this game unless its fixed... Damn shame too, was looking forward to picking this up friday..

Scottiths

Banned
It amuses me that so many people run straight to rushed porting. Even if that was the case, people would prefer the 1080p with shitty frame rates to 900p with good frames? I am not one who can tell the difference between 60 and 30 very well, but I sure as hell can tell when something dips to single digits!

My opinion is that devs should make the game work first, and then do the resolution choice. I think they will notice that more people care about a game working than the resolution. GAF will bemoan it not being 1080, but at the end of the day this is only one forum for enthusiasts and not the general population.

Oh why did I get a PS4? All of these multiplatform games running at higher framerates at a higher resolution on XBOne, what was I thinking?
Seriously though, what does this game actually look like? Is it high quality like Tomb Raider and Killzone? Or is an obviously cross-gen game?

lmbotiva

what an absurd article, than how in the world did assassins creed 4 managed to have a rock solid 30 frames on ps4 and being an open world game on top of that, that just bad programing on the developers side

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The difference in performance drop in the teens isn't usually justified by slightly lowered resolution unless there is also another issue contributing.

I think the game is running out of memory on the PS4 because it was likely optimized on the Xbox One and its ESRAM, which is causing the framerate to dive into the teens when the game is loading data in and out of the RAM.

Except the XB1 version has major framerate issues too.

But I don't expect Phire to update the OP anytime soon.

edit: I was wrong, thanks Phire.

StuBurns

Banned
The idea games are running this poorly on either system just three months out is fucking disgusting.

ResolutionGate is mostly an interesting technical debate, but in no way is 720p offensive. But the idea that a UE3 game with PS360 versions isn't hitting 30fps perfectly is absolutely unacceptable.

What happened to this project? Five years, looks rough, poorly received, runs badly, embarrassing.

Banned
So 2 games out of them all have had " better framerates " then the PS4 version, and both of those games were considered better on the X1 then PS4.

But of course, Tomb Raider running @ 60fps on the PS4 means nothing to the overall quality of the product compared to the 30fps X1 version, of course not.

And after looking around, this is the one site that has said this. So I'm not exactly considering this biblical truth yet lol.

Tomb Raider doesn't run at a solid 60fps though, It does a similar thing to Knack where it's constantly searching between 40-60.

This is going to be a terrible generation for people who like solid framrates :(

the author of the article is the same person who made these posts regarding titanfall and is now banned

So much for gamers saying gameplay over graphics.

I think the game looks good and has a solid presentation. More importantly, it's fun as heck to play.

Have you played it? It WILL BE a system seller regardless of beta.

Wow. Fanboys want this game to fail so badly. I can't wait to see what they have to say when the review scores and sales blow up next month.

GL HF.

you can take a guess why

VanWinkle

It amuses me that so many people run straight to rushed porting. Even if that was the case, people would prefer the 1080p with shitty frame rates to 900p with good frames? I am not one who can tell the difference between 60 and 30 very well, but I sure as hell can tell when something dips to single digits!

My opinion is that devs should make the game work first, and then do the resolution choice. I think they will notice that more people care about a game working than the resolution. GAF will bemoan it not being 1080, but at the end of the day this is only one forum for enthusiasts and not the general population.

I'm sure people would prefer 900p with good framerate to 1080p with bad framerate. The problem is that its horrible framerate on both.

Eusis

This person didn't play a SINGLE game on PS3 or 360 that had a bad/inconsistent framerate? Somehow I find that hard to buy.
I think that Two Worlds Xbox demo is still up. Sounds like someone needs to take that for a spin!

And admittedly there is something of a point of resolution vs FPS, problem is that given the games that have hit 30+ FPS on PS4 and even XB1 the problem lies more with developers who seem to consider some visual shinies more important than damn playability, compromising both fluidity AND gameplay scope for this. Nevermind that often mentioned possibility that the developers just messed up.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
So what about all the other games at 1080p that seems to have good performance?

I'd honestly never heard of Craveonline before this thread, but I took a quick look at the site and noticed that this article was written by someone called "Jonathan Leack".

That wouldn't be the same as 'JLeack' here on GAF who has been on the Xbone defense force since he signed up last year by any chance, would it? :p

Edit: ah, already been covered above I see... lol

Xater

What is so amusing about that when other sources say that the Xbone version has the same issues? Just looks like really bad port.

Kuro

The idea games are running this poorly on either system just three months out is fucking disgusting.

ResolutionGate is mostly an interesting technical debate, but in no way is 720p offensive. But the idea that a UE3 game with PS360 versions isn't hitting 30fps perfectly is absolutely unacceptable.

What happened to this project? Five years, looks rough, poorly received, runs badly, embarrassing.

Games like AC4 kind of just highlight how bad of a port job this was. Perfect smooth 30fps at 1080p and still has better graphics and is open world compared to Thief.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
the author of the article is the same person who made these posts regarding titanfall and is now banned

you can take a guess why

izHJe0w.gif

I'll gladly take 720p/60fps over 1080p/30fps any day. This is why having options within a game is nice.

With that said, I don't believe the author. I'll see it for myself. Digital Foundry or bust (Kojima, save us!)

RE_Player

The game is on UE3 and is a cross generation game. It's 100% the developer's fault for the poor PS4 and Xbox One versions.

SLESS

1080P is the answer as that is the native res of FullHD Television Sets. Poor porting of a shitty game is not that answer.

Chobel

Shouldn't posting personal info not allowed? I knew he was Jleack but I thought posting this info was bannable, no?

Fezan

Looks like reviewers do forget that when using LCD technology and anyy thing below native resolution looks soft due to up scaling. that's why developers are targeting 1080p instead of 900p and increasing other effects

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Germany's GamePro says it's the other way around, with the PS4 offering a more stable framerate. Other reviews don't mention any noticeable difference in framerate.

Guess we'll have to wait for Digital Foundry.

you can take a guess why

Well, I guess I'm waiting for a more reputable site to report on this then.

Top Bottom