• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creationist theme park proposed for Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well, we already have a creationist museum. A creationist theme park is the next logical step, I suppose.

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Gov. Steve Beshear said Wednesday that a creationism theme park, expected to open in Northern Kentucky in 2014, would have a $250 million annual impact on the state’s economy.

Ark Encounter, which will feature a 500-foot-long wooden replica of Noah’s Ark containing live animals such as juvenile giraffes, is projected to cost $150 million and create 900 jobs, Beshear announced at a Capitol press conference.

“Make no mistake about it, this is a huge deal,” he said.

The park, to be located on 800 acres in Grant County off Interstate 75, also will include a Walled City, live animal shows, a replica of the Tower of Babel, a 500-seat special-effects theater, an aviary and a first-century Middle Eastern village.

It’s expected to draw 1.6 million visitors a year.

Park developers are seeking state tourism development incentives and could receive up to $37.5 million over a 10-year period.

The project is a collaboration between Ark Encounters LLC, a for-profit company in Springfield, Mo., and Answers in Genesis, a non-profit organization that runs the Creation Museum in Boone County.

Ark Encounters plans to build the park and Answers and Genesis plans to operate it.

The tax incentives have sparked debate among experts on church-state issues as to whether they would violate the constitutional ban on the establishment of religion by government.

“Evangelism is not just another business, and if the business is evangelism then constitutional rules are quite different than if you are subsidizing the opening of a new beauty salon,” said Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.

Lynn said that once the incentives are official, his organization would decide whether to sue.

Edwin Kagin, a Northern Kentucky lawyer who is the national legal director for the group American Atheists, said he doesn’t think there are grounds for a suit because the tax incentives law doesn’t discriminate.

Beshear also said he does not believe the incentives would violate the principle of church-state separation because the 14-year-old tax incentives law wasn’t approved for the purpose of benefiting the Ark Encounter.

“We have reviewed this from a legal standpoint and if the application complies with our laws there is nothing remotely unconstitutional about a for-profit organization coming in and investing $150 million to create jobs in Kentucky and bring tourism to Kentucky,” he said.

When asked if he would hold a similar press conference if a Muslim- or atheist-themed park were planned, Beshear said, “Whatever groups want to come in here and talk about investing and creating tourist attractions, we are certainly open to talking with them.”

Under the tourism law, developers can recover up to 25 percent of the cost of a project. The state returns to developers the sales tax paid by visitors on admission tickets, food, gift sales and lodging costs. Developers have 10 years to reach the 25 percent threshold.

Another legal question about the project is whether park operators could discriminate on the basis of religion when hiring workers, a practice already in place at the Creation Museum.

Cary Summers, the lead consultant for the project, said developers are still pondering whether they could discriminate on the basis of religion.

“We are wrestling with that right now,” he said.

Eric Hall, a Colorado-based attorney who represents religious institutions in First Amendment cases, said religious groups are allowed to discriminate on the basis of religion, although courts are often more skeptical when for-profit companies are involved.

“If it’s the non-profit that’s running the (park), then it seems they are doing the hiring and firing,” he said. “Maybe it’s going to be a little bit easier for them.”

In addition to questions about church-state issues, Beshear also faced with questions Wednesday about whether he believes in creationism and whether it should be taught in schools.

“Jane and I are Christian, but the people of Kentucky didn’t elect me to debate religion,” he said. “They elected me governor to create jobs and that’s what we are doing here.”

He said local school districts should decide if creationism is taught in schools and Wednesday’s press conference wasn’t an appropriate place for that discussion.

Creationists hold that, contrary to mainstream scientific thought, science supports the biblical account of the Earth’s creation in six days.

Creationism has been criticized by many scientists and science organizations. The National Center for Science Education asserts that “students who accept this material as scientifically valid are unlikely to succeed in science courses at the college level.”

Grant County Judge-Executive Darrell Link told reporters that residents of his county are proud to have the park locate there.

“I think this project accentuates the faith of the people and the values of the people in Grant County tremendously,” he said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101201/NEWS01/312010087/Kentucky+Gov.+Steve+Beshear+announces+creationism+theme+park+to+open+in+2014++with+$250+million+impact

TL4E

I wanna ride a dinosaur with Jesus.

When asked if he would hold a similar press conference if a Muslim- or atheist-themed park were planned, Beshear said, “Whatever groups want to come in here and talk about investing and creating tourist attractions, we are certainly open to talking with them.”

You mean, like, reality?

simpsons did it

I will never understand creationism. People can be presented with scientific evidence, but they still just say "nope, 6 days, a couple thousand years ago."

stressboy

JodyAnthony said:
simpsons did it

I will never understand creationism. People can be presented with scientific evidence, but they still just say "nope, 6 days, a couple thousand years ago."

I have had some tell me that the scientific evidence is the work of satan.

pestul

Will it feature God creating abiogenetic organisms in a pool of arsenic? Just to keep it.. accurate you know.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
kamorra said:
Could you name some? I'm not trying to be cute, I'm honestly interested.

Google.

Though it doesn't seem that many of the foreign parks are as big and well-funded as the ones in America. Unless we're talking about the ones in Israel.

The creationist museum is like 15 minutes from my house. It's actually pretty nice, if you can ignore the ignorance of their arguments.

Funky Papa said:
What the fuck is an atheist park anyway? Do they feature whac-a-prophets and shoot-the-Pope stands?

I was wondering the same thing.

A FSM theme park would be pretty dope though.

Lost Fragment said:
There are biblical theme parks located all around the world, so no, not really.
Biblical and creationist aren't the same thing. Even the Pope supports evolution, and it's hard to find creationists outside of America.

TL4E

Funky Papa said:
What the fuck is an atheist park anyway? Do they feature whac-a-prophets and shoot-the-Pope stands?
Orgy rooms, violence centers, blasphemy classes and Bible burning sacrilege festivals, obviously.

ugh an aethist theme park would suck, all the rides would take ages and each one would only be ever so slightly different from the last, unless they had a state's worth of building space

KingGondo

Banned
I would never pay to get in, but I would go to this out of morbid curiosity if I was given a ticket.

Creationists are stranger creatures than platypuses, and it's harder to explain how they got here.

GhaleonQ

See, I was going to make the comment, but they beat me to it.

"a replica of the Tower of Babel,"

ARGH. ARGH.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
"You must be this stupid to enter this ride."

Ill-fitted-blazer-wearing stand-up comic from 1973, everybody!

iceatcs

kamorra said:
Could you name some? I'm not trying to be cute, I'm honestly interested.
I know few, there is one in Florida, quite big one. Other one in Kent, UK but it is indoor Ark boat theme park might have changed by now.

CommieCaptorS said:
ugh an aethist theme park would suck, all the rides would take ages and each one would only be ever so slightly different from the last, unless they had a state's worth of building space
I must be dumb because I don't get this joke.

ultron87

BudokaiMR2 said:
That's a good question. I always just assumed it was raptor Jesus.

Has anyone on gaf been? lol

Since I'm in Cincinnati I'm fairly close to the museum. Unfortunately it's 25 dollars for a ticket. I'm not really willing to drop that much to make fun of their exhibits.

Owensboro

GhaleonQ said:
See, I was going to make the comment, but they beat me to it.

"a replica of the Tower of Babel,"

ARGH. ARGH.

Hah, I saw the same thing. So does this mean God is going to come down and smite them for building another Tower of babel? I'm excited to see all the new "languages" that come out of this one.

Yoshiya

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I must be dumb because I don't get this joke.

Evolution is a slow process of extremely gradual change, the opposite of the fast adrenaline rushes you'd expect from a theme park.

KingGondo

Banned
ultron87 said:
Since I'm in Cincinnati I'm fairly close to the museum. Unfortunately it's 25 dollars for a ticket. I'm not really willing to drop that much to make fun of their exhibits.
Don't go unless it's free. These idiots don't need any more money than they have.

It would be one thing if these guys were just a nut fringe group, but they're a well-funded nut fringe group. Just unbelievable.

Screw this creationist theme park crap. We need more Bible Adventures with moar sparx.

vGqWi.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Eh, as long as no government money goes into building this thing I think I'm OK with the tax breaks. More jobs in this economy is a good thing regardless of what it is.

I imagine it will turn out much like the Freedom Center in Cincinnati. A few years of success and then dramatic drop offs in attendance. Then they will be forced to rent the place out to colleges to have parties in.

KingGondo

Banned
Cindres said:
Do people really believe the Noah's ark story?
Yes.

Wads said:
I've driven by the thing about 100 times and friends have joked about going, but I'm not wasting money on BS like this...

For those wondering what's there... it's basically their own version of "history"...

www.creationmuseum.org/whats-here/
Ugh, even clicking through their website turns my stomach. It continually astounds me that people can be so obstinately ignorant.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Biblical and creationist aren't the same thing. Even the Pope supports evolution, and it's hard to find creationists outside of America.

Well, the park pretty much is a biblical theme park, just with more of a focus on creationism. Not to say that creationism is a universal belief among Christians, but it's hard to argue that it's not biblical in origin.

I'm not sure what the Tower of Babel and a recreation of a Middle Eastern village has to do with creationism.

kamorra said:
Well, you convinced me.

So I'm wrong because you're too lazy to Google shit? Fine, here's a sample:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/12/holy-land-christian-theme-park

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20080604-12283.html (From 2008 but I can't find much else on this one so I don't know if it's still planned)

http://argentinastravel.com/257/parque-tierra-santa-in-buenos-aires/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_City

I will admit that biblical theme parks probably make more business sense in America than it does in most of the world, but even in America I only know of a handful of biblical theme parks.

People who are like "only in America looool" are just a pretty huge pet peeve of mine.

Rapstah

How exactly would you build literal replicas of Noah's ark and the Tower of Babel, as they'd both be infinitely large and high by today's knowledge?

Trurl

Banned
I remember one of my brother's friends got this when he was a kid. He was fucking hyped. He's an atheist now.
:lol :lol

I love the idea of a game being so disappointing that it made a kid drop an NES controller and lose all faith in God.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Lost Fragment said:
So I'm wrong because you're too lazy to Google shit? Fine, here's a sample:
People who are like "only in America looool" are just a pretty huge pet peeve of mine.

You made it seem that you know what you talking about so I asked you a honest question. I was even pointing out that it is a honest question. I really don't care what pet peeves you have I wasn't even talking about America.

btw
Next time you ask a question on GAF remember that Google probably already has the answer.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
The Creation museum is a truly disturbing place. Never been, but read several trip reports. I honestly can't believe these people exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom