• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creationist theme park proposed for Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Zoso said:
The Creation museum is a truly disturbing place. Never been, but read several trip reports. I honestly can't believe these people exist.

800px-Creation_Museum_10.png

Caption said:
An exhibit showing humans coexisting peacefully with vegetarian Tyrannosaurus

:lol :lol :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
kamorra said:
You made it seem that you know what you talking about so I asked you a honest question. I was even pointing out that it is a honest question. I really don't care what pet peeves you have I wasn't even talking about America.

I don't know much about biblical theme parks, but since Christianity isn't exclusive to America, it's not hard to assume that there are biblical theme parks in other parts of the world and to Google it for confirmation.

kamorra said:
Next time you ask a question on GAF remember that Google probably already has the answer.

I already don't ask people on message boards about things when I know I can find much more reliable sources by spending 2 or 3 minutes on Google, but thanks for the tip!

Prine

Banned
A wholesome place (not the content of the park, but the atmosphere) to take your family is fairly hard to find. This is seems ok given those needs.

Wholesome is relative i know, im obviously pointing to those with shared christian beliefs.

JGS

Banned
It's in my state and will be next to the Creationist museum which has been a hit so it's a no-brainer the governor would show up for this.

RbBrdMan said:
Eh, as long as no government money goes into building this thing I think I'm OK with the tax breaks. More jobs in this economy is a good thing regardless of what it is.

I imagine it will turn out much like the Freedom Center in Cincinnati. A few years of success and then dramatic drop offs in attendance. Then they will be forced to rent the place out to colleges to have parties in.
That hasn't happened with the museum yet so it's doubtful it will occur with this one. It's in a good spot. It's near a few theme parks, Cincy, & the Newport Aquarium so religious people can always make a stopover here. It's not huge so it's hardly even a day trip from what I've heard.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Alucrid said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Creation_Museum_10.png/800px-Creation_Museum_10.png[/IMG

:lol :lol :lol[/QUOTE]

wait what? So which is it : man and dinosaurs lived together OR god put the fossils in the ground as a test of faith?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
RbBrdMan said:
Eh, as long as no government money goes into building this thing I think I'm OK with the tax breaks. More jobs in this economy is a good thing regardless of what it is.

That's a complicated (and interesting) issue. The Free Expression Clause and the Establishment Clause do not work together to completely separate government (and government funding) from religion (or religious building projects). The (simplified) gist is that the government has to treat religion neutrally; it may neither promote nor inhibit religion (or the efforts of religious groups) simply on the basis of their belief. So if there is a state or federal grant that provides monetary incentives for projects that will stimulate local economies, religious groups are not necessarily prohibited from receiving the funds simply on the basis of their beliefs.

Binabik15

The museum exhibits. Wow.

Natural Selection in not Evolution

Enjoy the wonders of God’s Creation as you uncover what natural selection can and cannot do. In this special exhibit, examine an aquarium that resembles a real cave. This cave aquarium features live blind cavefish, showing how natural selection allows organisms to possess characteristics most favorable for a given environment—but it is not an example of evolution in the molecules-to-man sense. You’ll also uncover the truth about antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Wat. How? Why is this proof that natural selection isn´t part of an evolutionary process? And what is the truth about the bacteria? That they´re not growing tentaces after a while? My head hurts.

mre

Binabik15 said:

Enjoy the wonders of God’s Creation as you uncover what natural selection can and cannot do. In this special exhibit, examine an aquarium that resembles a real cave. This cave aquarium features live blind cavefish, showing how natural selection allows organisms to possess characteristics most favorable for a given environment—but it is not an example of evolution in the molecules-to-man sense. You’ll also uncover the truth about antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Wat. How? Why is this proof that natural selection isn´t part of an evolutionary process? And what is the truth about the bacteria? That they´re not growing tentaces after a while? My head hurts.

Their argument is that proof of natural selection amongst "lower" organisms is not proof that man evolved from monkeys. I think.

Rapstah

Binabik15 said:

Natural Selection in Forum Avatar
NqSj2.gif

Enjoy the wonders of God's Creation as you uncover what natural selection can and cannot do. In this special avatar, the shade of green tells us that the poster types in English and that I ate pizza yesterday, neither of these being examples of natural selection in the molecules-to-man sense. You'll also uncover the truth about Matthew 2:16.

ultron87

mre said:
Their argument is that proof of natural selection amongst "lower" organisms is not proof that man evolved from monkeys. I think.

And since another argument of their museum is Young Earth theory, there is no way that tiny changes in an organism over a few thousand years could evolve man into monkeys.

sarcastor

how do you put thousands of different animals on a boat, feed them for 40 days, and then after the flood receded, move them all around the world, with only 5 humans?

Binabik15

Rapstah said:
Natural Selection in Forum Avatar
NqSj2.gif

Enjoy the wonders of God's Creation as you uncover what natural selection can and cannot do. In this special avatar, the shade of green tells us that the poster types in English and that I ate pizza yesterday, neither of these being examples of natural selection in the molecules-to-man sense. You'll also uncover the truth about Matthew 2:16.

Ye gods, someone has to clean up my avatar! On the bright background I never noticed how many white artifacts are left. That´s what you get for not having photoshop, I guess.

ultron87 said:
And since another argument of their museum is Young Earth theory, there is no way that tiny changes in an organism over a few thousand years could evolve man into monkeys.

Sorry, but it´s happening RIGHT NOW!

fTvEU.jpg

He shaves with an axe.

Zzoram

I knew a Baptist who insisted that T-rex and lions were vegetarians before humans corrupted the world with the original sin. He also said he didn't believe black holes exist.

Binabik15 said:

Wat. How? Why is this proof that natural selection isn´t part of an evolutionary process?
And what is the truth about the bacteria? That they´re not growing tentaces after a while? My head hurts.
I think a lot of creationists have the distorted view that evolution always implies advancement and improvement (molecules to man) and so they hold up examples of regression like blind cavefish and snakes (which have lost their legs) as proof that evolution doesn't work...if that makes sense.

JGS

Banned
The governor is getting flack in the papers for the tax incentive. He basically said deal with it because he knows he wouldn't get re-elected unless he brought jobs to the state.

I was waiting for him to say he'd open an Abiogenesis Museum if it added 100 jobs to the state, but apparently he's not that crazy.

JGS

Banned
Phoenix said:
Don't over react people It's KENTUCKY!
I hate to alarm you, but Kentucky is not wealthy or devout enough in their metro areas to support the museum and this new park.

They are coming from everywhere with easy acces to I-75, I-71, & I- 64. In other words, most of the midwest and south. The location is practically Cincinnati.

Bentendo

I went to the Creationist Museum website and was looking at the titles of the movies playing and one of them caught my eye:

Dinosaurs and Dragons

WAT

mre

Keru_Shiri said:
I wonder what excuses they'll make for the Noah's Ark replica when it clearly can't hold two of every animal? :/

Natural selection over ~4,000 years has created a greater variety of species than existed at the time of the flood, of course.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/12/02/1548034/creation-museum-to-get-wooden.html

more than 80% of the "museum" visitors are from out of state.
I currently live in lexington...
i've been since it opened. many pictures, many videos, all sadness that people take their kids there and are all like 'yeah, this makes sense'.
the worst was this exhibit. there were two large diorama's of noah's ark:

dcv4nd.jpg

2z8zvxe.jpg

a little kid asked his mom why those people weren't on the boat, the mom was like 'they are going to die because they are sinners.'

i just stood there with my mouth open.

anyways, creation-land USA with a full size ark (with dinosaurs! confirmed! on the ark!) nearby just makes me even sadder. glad i'm getting my JD in may and leaving this state.

Keru_Shiri said:
I wonder what excuses they'll make for the Noah's Ark replica when it clearly can't hold two of every animal? :/

I kinda always assumed that the animals they put on the ark were not adults...but hey that's just me.

Ezduo said:
If they let us ride dinosaurs like Jesus did I will be there day one.

2uenslh.jpg

near the gift shop there's a triceratops with a saddle you can ride and take pictures on, just like jesus used to do...

350umah.jpg

sullytao

Saw the press conference earlier and some of the speakers had the "i cant believe im saying this shit" look on there faces.

I cant believe people believe in such stupid things.

genjiZERO

It boggles my mind that people really believe in this shit. I mean I can understand I can understand how someone could believe in a god of some sort - really, you know what is all this? But to be so blatantly myopic to think that in the scope of the universe that this deity would choose earth to be his playground, or that a being so powerful as to be able to encompass the entirely of that universe would even give a shit to begin with.

Bentendo said:
I went to the Creationist Museum website and was looking at the titles of the movies playing and one of them caught my eye:

Dinosaurs and Dragons

WAT
The idea is that stories of dragons are actually folklore and distorted racial memories derived from early human interaction with dinosaurs.

I guess it makes sense in the context of their mythology.

Feep

Banned
From their website:

Each seat is a rocket launching pad in our Stargazers Planetarium. Prepare for lift-off. The digital projector showcases a spectacular gravity-defying spaceflight, a thrilling ride billions of light years away to the vast outer regions of our universe.
You...wait...what?

Sibylus

Banned
jambo said:
Hahaha, shouldn't we only be able to see 6000 light years? :lol
Enter Kent Hovind mumbling something about light getting faster, or the light being created at Earth in the very beginning, etc. Mental gymnastics!

Nameless

If there's an attraction featuring a talking snake trying to convince a naked woman to eat a piece of fruit from a tree, +1 for day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom