• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credit Cards & Finances |OT| Rewards, Cash Back, APR, & More!

Downhome

I'm fairly sure it's flat out illegal to pass the fees on to the customers, at least in certain cities and states it is. Unless you don't get hardly any business it's always a good idea to take credit cards. I have no problem at all saying that if a business doesn't take a credit or debit card then I wont be a customer there. I simply almost never have any cash on me, no reason other than that. I'm not going to take it out of an ATM in store like some places think it's ok to make customers do, that's just passing the fee on to the customer and doing it in a "legal" way. I'm also not going to go out of my way to make sure I just happen to have cash in hand if I just happen to be going there.

It's nothing personal, but these days places just about have to take a credit/debit card.

The only time I have cash in hand is when it's given to me as a gift and I haven't had a chance to stop by an ATM to deposit it to my account or I know for a fact I'm going somewhere that I know for sure don't take cards, like on my way to a yard sale or a flea market or something like that.

I think if he just raises his prices up 2% in general rather than saying there's a 2% surcharge for CC use, then he is perfectly fine doing it.

Yep, that's perfectly fine. If you want to do it that way, great, but you can't blatantly post a sign up like some idiots tries to do saying that there will be an added fee just for using a card.

Husker86

I've seen gas stations offer "cash discounts". I wonder if that's a loophole in the "no extra charge for credit customers" since they're technically "discounting" the normal rate, not "charging extra" for credit cards.

Either way, I never have cash, so no business who doesn't take credit cards will see my patronage.

Downhome

I just got and set up the Bank of America Better Balance Rewards card. I'm sticking a single bill on it, our $40 Charter internet bill, and over the course of the next year it'll end up being a 25% cash back card. You can't beat that, at all. Amazing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I got a credit card which gives Airmiles reward points, but it wasn't clear that they were going to also send me a separate Airmiles card. When I got my credit card, I realized I didn't have the Airmiles card, so I went online and asked for one. Then I received it. Well today I got another one, with a different number, because it turns out the first one I got was the one sent to go along my credit card. IDIOTS STUPID SYSTEM OF SHIT. They should set things up with the bank to send the credit card and Airmiles card at the same time! I bet this happens all the time.

Now I made an airplane ticket purchase yesterday and I bet the points went on the stupid card I don't want and they'll say they can't transfer the points without charging me 100$. They better transfer the damn points and for free. And that's not all that's dumb, they say there's supposed to be a temporary NIP on the back of the card that I use to login on their site. THERE ISN'T.

I wonder how much time they waste dealing with people calling them over this. A quick search on the net shows a lot of people have no NIPs and had to call to get one.

Downhome

I'm going to be making an ~$800 purchase, does Discover have the best deal with $150 cash back if you spend $750?

It's one of the best right now unless you want to entertain a card with an annual fee, a travel card, etc...

Does anyone know any good no APR offers out there? Thinking of doing that to get the fuck rid of my high interest card

Give this a shot...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101190536&postcount=196

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I learned something today regarding reward cards and merchant category codes (MCCs), although maybe this is common knowledge. Apparently these are specified per location and not retailer-wide, so not EVERY Target, Walmart, etc. will be coded as a grocery store if you're trying to maximize rewards, for example. Check the transaction history on your accounts and make sure the specific stores you shop at will qualify for bonuses depending on the cards you're using.

You can use this locator to determine the MCC for each specific store. Now I know that the Target I shop at most is a "grocery store," whereas the other I sometimes go to is a "discount/warehouse store!" So, basically, purchases at the latter wouldn't trigger the groceries bonus on your card(s). This database is provided by Visa, but I'd be surprised if the codes differed for other card networks.

There's also an app that can supposedly help with this (Wallaby), but I don't yet know if it actually uses a database like the one above, so it may not take individual locations into account.

God, just another factor to add to my already-neurotic levels of frugality (read: cheapness). :\

Downhome

Yeah, it can get confusing if you are trying to get the absolute most bang for your buck. The link you posted helps a ton though, so just keep that handy. Also, it goes the other way as well. For example, our Barclaycard Sallie Mae vs. our Barclaycard Rewards cards - one WILL count for a grocery category but then the other one does not, even though both give rewards for grocery stores.

I didn't know about that Wallaby app, thanks a ton for that!

EDIT:

Just installed that app, holy crap, it's a billion times better than I thought it may be. This is incredible!

Prologue

Just thought I'd leave this here.

NFCU is a very liberal bank. Gave me a 15k cc when my highest was a 7.5k citi forward card. I was 21 at the time. If you have a way of joining the bank, go ahead!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just installed that app, holy crap, it's a billion times better than I thought it may be. This is incredible!
Cool, good to know. I'll check it out during my lunch tomorrow.

Prologue

That is one I really, really wish I could join. :(

Didn't they allow people last year who were part of an organization (that you could pay to join), to apply? Not sure if thats still up. I do remember a big influx of members on myfico.com talking about it.

Alliant seems to be just as liberal, I joined the Parents Teachers Association in oder to apply lol. They offered me a 12k card a few weeks later after NFCU reported to the credit companies.

Konka

Banned
Got approved for the slate last night. Gotta buy an expensive plane ticket and it'll be perfect to let me pay it off long term.

I'm debating on applying for a new card now or once I begin my full time job. The benefit to waiting is

I will be a full time employee so my credit line will be higher.

The downside is:
My average age of account will not have the next six months to recover

Or I could apply this week and hopefully be accepted. Only problem with applying now is I might have to wait a long period to apply for a credit line increase. And the increase in assuming wouldn't increase the limit as high as if I just applied when I had a real job instead of being a student.

Any tips?

Xamdou

I use my Amex card because it adds an extra year of warranty on top of the manufacturers, so I use it whenever I buy electronics.

Downhome

I'm debating on applying for a new card now or once I begin my full time job. The benefit to waiting is

I will be a full time employee so my credit line will be higher.

The downside is:
My average age of account will not have the next six months to recover

Or I could apply this week and hopefully be accepted. Only problem with applying now is I might have to wait a long period to apply for a credit line increase. And the increase in assuming wouldn't increase the limit as high as if I just applied when I had a real job instead of being a student.

Any tips?

What card are you applying for? How long will be before you'll have a full time job?

Downhome

Ok cool.

Also does closing a credit card account raise your credit score?

No, I'm not sure when closing would ever raise your score. Depending on the age of the account it can lower your score though. If you close one that hasn't been open very long, it likely wont hurt at all. If you have an old account that's 5-10 years old but you don't use it anymore, keep it open anyway. If you close it you lose all of the history you've been building up.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Is CreditKarma legit? Been a long while since I checked my credit score.

I get CreditKarma free with my credit unions online banking. It's not really legit, it's off quite a bit from my real credit score. But it is kind of useful.

Downhome

It's legit in that it's a real, non scam, service. Of course the score wont be exact. It's fantastic to track your score week by week (the score may be a bit off, but the direction it tracks is what you really need to watch for). Also great is being able to see everything else that is listed.

It's free for everyone, just go to the site and sign up.

vatstep

CreditSesame is another option I just discovered. It's not as good as CK, but it's good to have another resource. Supposedly the credit monitoring features update daily, as opposed to CK, which is weekly.

Just signed up for creditkarma and added my other account in there. Seems like a really good site to monitor your credit, thanks for the recommendation.

Well I just found out I don't think the balance transfer idea will work for me. The high interest card I have is a store card(Wedding Ring at helzberg, yes, I know I'm dumb) so I don't think I can transfer it since it's not an official credit card.

I might be stuck with that interest :(

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well I just found out I don't think the balance transfer idea will work for me. The high interest card I have is a store card(Wedding Ring at helzberg, yes, I know I'm dumb) so I don't think I can transfer it since it's not an official credit card.

I have a credit card that lets you write checks that qualify towards their 0% balance transfer promotion. I can just write a check, deposit it into my bank account and use that to pay off whatever.

Downhome

Yeah, that's an option on a lot of the cards that feature the special transfer bonuses. Absolutely check into that and make sure you get a card that allows it.

sdijoseph

I have two questions:

1. I turned 18 last September and got a secured credit card soon after. The credit card provides a service called "Credit Inform" which gives a monthly credit score from an agency called "CreditXpert". I looked it up online and they apparently use Equifax reports to determine the score. I now have a score of 713 (on a range of 350-850) from this website. Is that good enough to attempt to get a better card, or should I not trust this score since it is not used for actual lending decisions?

2. The only two things on my credit report are my secured card and my student loan. I also have an "in-house" car loan from a local dealership that is not showing up on my reports. Can I ask the dealer to report my payments to the credit agencies?

webkid94

Hello again, I got my secured credit card with a line of $300. How much is okay to spend on it that won't negatively affect my credit score? Less than half of the line?

Downhome

I have two questions:

1. I turned 18 last September and got a secured credit card soon after. The credit card provides a service called "Credit Inform" which gives a monthly credit score from an agency called "CreditXpert". I looked it up online and they apparently use Equifax reports to determine the score. I now have a score of 713 (on a range of 350-850) from this website. Is that good enough to attempt to get a better card, or should I not trust this score since it is not used for actual lending decisions?

2. The only two things on my credit report are my secured card and my student loan. I also have an "in-house" car loan from a local dealership that is not showing up on my reports. Can I ask the dealer to report my payments to the credit agencies?

1) You should be fine to get a better card at this point. Did you have one in mind? What do you plan to use it for? What's important to you?

2) I'll be honest, this one I'm not sure on.

Hello again, I got my secured credit card with a line of $300. How much is okay to spend on it that won't negatively affect my credit score? Less than half of the line?

You can spend as much of it as you want but don't let more than $80-$90 report on the card when the statement cuts. You can spend more than that as long as you make a payment before they report the balance.

webkid94

you can spend as much of it as you want but don't let more than $80-$90 report on the card when the statement cuts. You can spend more than that as long as you make a payment before they report the balance.

statement "cuts"? before the next statement closing date? My next closing date is March 12 and my bill is due the 9th. So if I spend $100 and my "minimum" payment (though I pay in full) is due the 9th, as long as it is all paid off before the 9th nothing will happen once the 12th hits? Sorry, not sure about the new credit card lingo out there :)

Downhome

statement "cuts"? before the next statement closing date? My next closing date is March 12 and my bill is due the 9th. So if I spend $100 and my "minimum" payment (though I pay in full) is due the 9th, as long as it is all paid off before the 9th nothing will happen once the 12th hits? Sorry, not sure about the new credit card lingo out there :)

Yes, the statement closing date. If you see where it says what the closing date is, you can have as much on the card as you want without it hurting you as long as you pay it down to 30% or less (most like to keep it to 10% or less, but 30% is fine) and then of course then pay off the entire balance by the due date.

vatstep

You can still do a balance transfer with some store cards. I did one with an Amazon Store Card, and I know people have done it Sears cards, etc. If it has a 16-digit account number, it'll probably work.

What card are you applying for? How long will be before you'll have a full time job?

Probably one of the three that gets mentioned, the Discover It, the blue cash everyday, the other one I can't remember. I could potentially start working anytime from June to December. Will the date make a difference in the decision?

Downhome

Probably one of the three that gets mentioned, the Discover It, the blue cash everyday, the other one I can't remember. I could potentially start working anytime from June to December. Will the date make a difference in the decision?

How bad is your current situation exactly to need six more months to recover? If it's not just awful, I still say shoot for the standard Discover It card, then at the end of the same six month period apply for another one that may work for you even more.

sdijoseph

1) You should be fine to get a better card at this point. Did you have one in mind? What do you plan to use it for? What's important to you?

2) I'll be honest, this one I'm not sure on.
Just any general card that gives good rewards bonuses would be great. Do you think I can get any card that requires "Good Credit" on creditcards,org?

Downhome

Just any general card that gives good rewards bonuses would be great. Do you think I can get any card that requires "Good Credit" on creditcards,org?

I'm going to be completely honest, I got you mixed up with the above. This was meant for you...

Are you a student? Apply for the Discover It Student card...

https://www.discovercard.com/cardme...net-ls&aid=11435830&pid=2569276&sid=693556989

Try for something like that, keep it in good and proper standing for 3-6 months, then I bet you can get some of the other, better, cards. Don't get me wrong, the Discover It is a great card itself though.

How bad is your current situation exactly to need six more months to recover? If it's not just awful, I still say shoot for the standard Discover It card, then at the end of the same six month period apply for another one that may work for you even more.

I only mentioned the six month to recover to list as a con to applying later. I just meant that if I apply for a card later rather than now, the dip in credit score that happens when someone inquires on you happens later rather than sooner. my score is high, >720. I just want a card with as high a credit limit as possible - to increase my score even more. I would guess that would NOT happen if I apply for the student version of that discover card. But it sounds like you're saying that regardless of the card,just apply for one sooner rather than later.

Downhome

Oh well if that's the case than feel free to apply away. The damage done when you apply isn't truly as bad as you think. Your score will drop 5 or so points maybe, but it will recover in just a few months, and if you don't plan on getting an auto loan or a mortgage at any point in the next 6 to 12 months then it wont matter anyway. You could apply for a number of cards right now, likely for most anything you want other than the truly super hard to get approved for cards.

As for putting your income on the application, for one you can use the entire household income, any money that MAY be available to you to pay back any debt. Even if you're out of work you really could put down a reasonable estimate of what you are certain you'll be making soon and go ahead and use that. They aren't going to check, at least none of the more common cards like Chase Freedom, Discover It, Blue Cash Everyday, etc...

Top Bottom