• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criminal Rappers and Fan/Public Perception of Them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been meaning to make a thread on this for awhile, but that thread on "Separating the Art from the Artist" has made me decide to finally put it into motion, I'm not sure whether I'm getting my thought process across correctly though, so please bare with me, also I should preface this by saying the vast majority of rappers aren't criminals and the genre is multifaceted and should not be stereotyped.

(While I've wanted to make a thread on it for about a month or so, this started off as a reply to that thread so I'll just copy and paste it as is, though in this thread I'm not asking the same question I was in the original and more asking your thoughts on this phenomenon):

"As someone who doesn't really have any issue separating the art from the artist, what are your limits in regards to rapper wrongdoing, considering that many rappers are professed/confirmed criminals at various levels?

I have a conscious bend towards not caring, as I'm a big believer in personal change/absolute non-judgement, plus my biological mother was a drug dealer and while I'm pretty much ambivalent towards her it's lead to me being pretty blah towards dealing as a crime, and my older sister has committed crimes/been jailed/is a wannabe gangbanger, so it's made me aware of how it's easy for young people to get sucked into that matrix and make mistakes but that it doesn't encompass the full breadth of their character, plus I've always been naturally forgiving/it's my natural disposition.

Which is why I've always been interested in whether rap consumption leads towards people mentally leaning towards rehabilitative justice/changing people's perception on those usually maligned by society, or whether rap listeners are truly absorbing the fact that they're listening to admitted/confirmed killers/home invaders/dealers/"wrongdoers" on various levels and not just taking them as the exception to their perception of criminals or simply ignoring it.

I'd imagine that we'd see a lot more people bitter at the fact that many of these rappers have gone on to see great success while those left in the wake of their previous actions are still dealing with the effects of it, and said artists might not have even seen jail time which triggers some and even if they did many people have a strange level of hatred/jealously towards prisoners especially when they use prison services/get their life together.

(I'm not sure if bringing up actual rappers/drudging up their past is an appropriate thing to do, but for the sake of the discussion I'll just list names)

Rappers from the 21 Savages, Young Thug's, Migos's, Gucci Manes, to the Wu Tangs, Jay Z's, Snoop Doggs, 50 Cent's, T.I's, to the Lupe Fiasco's, Schoolboy Q's, hell let's use Max B as a recent example since he's been turned into a meme.

Do people just fetishize their lives/their "Hood Conan Tales" and brush the rest under the rug, do they pass judgement on them while getting off on their criminal stories, is there conscious reexamining of sociological perspective on the listeners part?
Does it lead to introspection on morality?
Does this encourage leftist perspectives towards criminal justice/societal reform?
Is it strange that while many people don't look past character issues with artists in terms of not liking their personalities, they're willing to look past criminal/violent acts?
Why are some seemingly "allowed" to meld with "regular" society seemingly without issue, like a 50 Cent hopping on Rachael Ray's show or really Jay's entire career.
Does it matter at all?

Obviously other genre's aren't full of angels, It's just that they don't have the same relationship with this specific phenomenon in the way that Hip Hop does.

Hope this came out correctly/not jumbled, and I'm not trying to wrap these people's whole person up under the label of "criminal".

LionPride

Banned
I learned I don't care about rappers committing crimes unless it's women beating, or pedo shit or anything like that.

I don't care that Jay was a literal Crack dealer

I don't care that a lot of these dudes and women are drug dealers or gang bangers and may have likely killed people

That doesn't cross my line

I learned I don't care about rappers committing crimes unless it's women beating, or pedo shit or anything like that.

I don't care that a lot of these dudes and women are drug dealers or gang bangers and may have likely killed people

Is this the result of raps influence on you or your original worldviews take on rap?

Obligatory.

6mm-3064677_469_650.jpg

Chuckie

How does beating someone cross your line, but killing someone not?

LionPride

Banned
Is this the result of raps influence on you or your original worldviews take on rap?
Original worldviews + Rap.

Like I learned Big Pun beat his wife, I already didn't like him but then that shit.

I really don't like Dre, for obvious reasons.
Because I haven't really had to deal with liking a rapper who has killed a person for any reason outside of gang shit.

Also as I have stated many times, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to my shit.

Don't look up XXXTentacion
What if then drug dealing led to someone oding and dying from said drugs
Why is that the drug dealers fault

Killing someone is low on my totem pole as well, as long as said person was a gangbanger or dealer and not a civilian.
Not that the gangbangers/dealers aren't civilians as well, and not that their life doesn't have value, but if you're killing someone who was involved in the same game as you then that outcome was something they at least probably saw coming and just as easily could have happened to you, and might have been through mutually exchanged fire.

Edit: Obviously this is case by case though, circumstances do matter.

Chuckie

Because I haven't really had to deal with liking a rapper who has killed a person for any reason outside of gang shit.

Also as I have stated many times, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to my shit.

So I guess it depends on the victim. Innocent wife vs another gang member.

I can kinda understand that.

akira28

at a certain point didn't everyone fetishize the criminal/rebel lifestyle? Or more specifically some kind of gangster type of organized crime in numbers with the elevated lifestyle accoutrements that come with it? I mean, mega-media has been selling us the ideal since Capone was around.

but in the inner cities and low economic areas, the various factors of money and popularity, lack of job prospects, the politicized war on drugs and poor people(turning their lives into warzones to keep them safe, sounds familiar?) all play a factor. Some people get into that life. And they make music as a way out, often. Or as a way to make more money and stay in sometimes too.

But when you romanticize the situation, or fill it with fictional levels horror and violence, that's when it becomes a phenomenon, a story that you can sell. It isn't, wasn't fair to the artists or the art. But its what happened. And it caught on now, its a game. A fashion show, or hell, call it kabuki theater.

daffy

Banned
Can't really say that i fault any rappers specifically for telling their truth and/or the truth of their culture. The nasty side effect is there are people that have no idea what that culture entails and seek to denigrate people that can actually see through the mist and enjoy the music on its own.

I don't need to hear about how I'm a shit person or not "about that life" just because i like to vibe out to some shit. So that annoys me but its totally a perception thing, and i realize that.

KingV

I definitely feel mixed about it, and the older I get the more it bothers me. I guess I mostly want to see some personal growth or reflection out of people and then I can forgive it. I'm probably a hypocrite too, as I do still like Pusha T and a few other artists that glorify the drug game, in general, it's definitely a strike against them in my book. I think about friends who are locked up, doing long ass bids, or their moms house got shot up, and it's just not funny to me anymore and glorifying it seems irresponsible. It's like I can enjoy it but am not comfortable exposing my kid to it.

Only thing that really makes me feel a bit better about is that I know most of these dudes are not even half as hard as they portray themselves. That helps a bit.

Jake.

i honestly don't care, as bad or ignorant as it sounds.

the one exception is when people go on about 'free ________'. na son, 95% of the time they deserve that sentence.

JZA

Wouldn't the world be an overall safer place if every gang member was recording diss tracks against their rivals in the studio instead of shooting each other in the street? Also, I'm not sure if it's accurate to say that they're glorifying criminal culture, would they still be criminals if they weren't desperate at some point in their lives? Contrast that with white collar criminals like Bernie Madoff who are already well-to-do but still choose to steal from people.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
That's why I like so much Curren$y all he does is work hard and smoke weed.... no cognitive dissonance for me

Ninja Dom

With Max B, I was into his music before I was aware of any criminality. Then as more mixtapes came out I found out he was a criminal. But his music was too good to ignore and Max B was the best rapper of the 2000's.

dyergram

Most rappers grossly exaggerate their crimes or are complete frauds (rick Ross). In the case of jay z and 50 cent it's somewhat admiral what they managed to do by using their music to escape horrible envioronments. As far as suge knight I can't believe people honestly think he killed easy e but then people thought he had 2pac shot while he sat next to him.

Bulbasaur

Banned
When snoop and game came out and told everybody to relax I couldn't believe it. If anything that affected my perception of the two more negatively than anything any rapper has done prior.

Chuckie

As far as suge knight I can't believe people honestly think he killed easy e but then people thought he had 2pac shot while he sat next to him.

And according to the conspiracy theory he then had Biggie shot so people would not suspect him of killing Pac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom