• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite recently had its 10th anniversary so I decided to give it yet another replay

Spaceman292

Banned
I absolutely loved the game at the time and completely devoured it.

As an aside, a lot of the OP read like they copy pasted the response from ChatGPT so I checked. Got a pretty good match if I do say so myself especially the last two paragraphs.

OP, you need to give your bestie AI a break from time to time.

SxIKX0N.png
Honestly most of the weirdos who post on here sound like AI bots

Shut0wen

Love the bioshock series, even like bioshock infinte, id definitely say it was a 7/10 game but just a shame that everything they showed before the game went gold was disappointingly nothing like the final game, especially since security cameras were went to be from the start of the game to last level but were literally introduced at final part of the game

Krathoon

The whole Jingoism in the game does kind of parallel what Trump and the republicans were trying to pull in America recently.

"Make America great again." Creepy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The bioshock infinite hate is awful, I feel bad for people who couldn’t finish that game.

Senua

I liked it of course, but it was too focused on shooting, Bioshock 1 was more about exploring an incredible setting that oozed atmosphere, the shooting was secondary. Infinite it was the other way around.

LordOfChaos

Watching this video reminded me of how much Bioshock Infinite impacted me at the time. On a replay I found some of it a chore, but the story I thought was great.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I liked it of course, but it was too focused on shooting, Bioshock 1 was more about exploring an incredible setting that oozed atmosphere, the shooting was secondary. Infinite it was the other way around.
I disagree. Columbia was just as interesting of a setting as Rapture and it had plenty of exploration to scratch that particular itch. It merely refined the combat and made it enjoyable but it didn't detract from other aspects of the game. One of the main reasons why combat didn't feel like a priority in the original is because it sucked.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

I absolutely loved the game at the time and completely devoured it.

As an aside, a lot of the OP read like they copy pasted the response from ChatGPT so I checked. Got a pretty good match if I do say so myself especially the last two paragraphs.

OP, you need to give your bestie AI a break from time to time.

SxIKX0N.png
How embarrassing for OP.

Last edited:

Senua

I disagree. Columbia was just as interesting of a setting as Rapture and it had plenty of exploration to scratch that particular itch. It merely refined the combat and made it enjoyable but it didn't detract from other aspects of the game. One of the main reasons why combat didn't feel like a priority in the original is because it sucked.
The shooting is better in Infinite, but there's just far too much emphasis on it. There are WAY more enemies thrown at you and after a while it just becomes repetitive, look at how much more ammo infinite gives you than the first game, that had that survival horror element to it which is completely gone in Inifnite. I really like the story of Booker and Elizabeth, I enjoy Kens writing but I just felt they went too far in the shooty bang bang direction and it took away from the world and soaking up the atmosphere for me

Drizzlehell

Banned
Anyway, I made this 10th anniversary playthrough a special one by playing through the Burial At Sea - Episode 2 DLC for the first time since its release. To be completely honest, I am still uncertain about what to think of it. On the one hand, it felt fantastic to embark on a new adventure through Rapture, which remains one of the most immersive and imaginative settings in video game history. I appreciated the slightly different approach to gameplay and pacing, scaling it back into a more traditional immersive sim/stealth game with heightened stakes and limited combat capabilities. It made it feel like one of the classics of the genre.

On the other hand, the story... my gut feeling tells me that it is not very good, and it plays out more like a fanfic that is just one retcon away from becoming ridiculous. It tries too hard to shoehorn the character of Elizabeth into pre-existing events of the original game to answer questions that already got a satisfying closure, and nobody asked or even cared about any additional explanation. It reminded me of some of those hacky stories from the Star Wars expanded universe that I read as a kid, in which various background characters that you merely glimpsed in the movies were suddenly given elaborate backstories and an inflated purpose that was entirely absurd.

Overall, compared to the main game - it's a bit of a letdown. I'm much more interestd in what Levine and co. are cooking up for us with Judas, because going back to write fanfic for the original Bioshock is something that even someone like him wasn't able to pull off convincingly.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The shooting is better in Infinite, but there's just far too much emphasis on it. There are WAY more enemies thrown at you and after a while it just becomes repetitive, look at how much more ammo infinite gives you than the first game, that had that survival horror element to it which is completely gone in Inifnite. I really like the story of Booker and Elizabeth, I enjoy Kens writing but I just felt they went too far in the shooty bang bang direction and it took away from the world and soaking up the atmosphere for me
Again, the added emphasis on a more visceral combat and large scale war as a backdrop for the story didn't take away from atmosphere or exploration for me. Poking around the levels and discovering secrets or optional areas was every bit as satisfying as it was in the original game.

How embarrassing for OP.
It would be if it were true. Everything that I post is written by moi.

Top Bottom