• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

Playing I must be over an 1 hour and I think this game is a very pleasure surprise. The game has quite a charming presentation even thought is clearly a very low budget production. Music is very good and the writting is top notch.

Although I consider this game not for everyone even RPG lovers, is quite slow and quite old school. The underlying mechanics makes for some very interesting battles (like the combo) and I can see the game becoming quite hard in later battles.

But if you like Matsuno games or tabletop RPG this game should be a must.

Sadist

Ah shucks, 3DS needs to be charged.

But 28 minutes in (and two battles done) so my first impression is, well it's a tabletop RPG. I think I'll play in short bursts. Does anyone how long this game game is?

Edit: ah thanks

Ah shucks, 3DS needs to be charged.

But 28 minutes in (and two battles done) so my first impression is, well it's a tabletop RPG. I think I'll play in short bursts. Does anyone how long this game game is?

Seems that is quite short (around 5-6 hours going by some of the reviews) but there's a New Game+ option.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Keep this thread bumped to page one a a reminder when I get home tonight, and the game is mine :)

One of my biggest gaming regrets is neglecting Tactics Ogre PSP after like 45 hours in, loving it, and never beating it. Not making that mistake again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just finished the first battle. Love what little I've played. This is a straight up Dungeon & Dragons adventure module on my 3DS.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Going to download in a bit.

vareon

How important is the story choices? Like, could it alter the story or it just gives you small consequences (getting damaged, etc)?

Yuterald

I think I found my very, very late GOTY winner. I played for about an hour or so and I'm in love with this. God, I fucking love Matsuno games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really really like the barter point system. Such a cool system.

Oh god, it's like I'm dipping into a huge ocean of mechanics goodness like every one of his other games, I can feel it.

Sorry, VLR, but the King is here, back to the box with you.

thetrin

Hahaha, I love the way the tutorial warns you about stuff. It really does feel like a game master telling me about the caveats of his/her campaign.

hitmon

Was this game one of the games to be bundled with some other games into a physical copy or am I thinking of something else?

Thoraxes

Was Guild-01 planned for release outside Japan? If it is, I might just wait for the physical copy.

They're just selling each of the parts of the collection individually on the eShop in other territories as opposed to a physical release containing them all.

vareon

Was Guild-01 planned for release outside Japan? If it is, I might just wait for the physical copy.

If you want to try other games, just buy them on the eShop--it's still cheaper than if you buy Guild01 physically. Unless you want to try the 4th game, which means we're out of luck.

RedSwirl

I've never touched tabletop but am still interested because of Matsuno. Read 1up's review and saw the eShop trailer so I'll probably get it when I have time. Pleasantly surprised they got O. Smith on for translation along with Sakimoto and Yoshida. I really hope they can all get together again and make another big game.

hitmon

So based on comments, Guild-01 wasn't planned to be released physically outside Japan. How is the replay value of Crimson Shroud?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
All the games from Guild-01 are on the eShop. Not likely we'll see a retail release outside of Japan.
No, there's one that's not been released and, understandably, probably never will. It was a shop-running simulator headlined by a Japanese celebrity, not a game maker with some degree of international repute like the other three games.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I've never touched tabletop but am still interested because of Matsuno. Read 1up's review and saw the eShop trailer so I'll probably get it when I have time. Pleasantly surprised they got O. Smith on for translation along with Sakimoto and Yoshida. I really hope they can all get together again and make another big game.
Is the character art by Yoshida? I think its Minaba who is also part of the Matsuno gang.

EDIT: Yup the OP also says its Minaba.

Bulzeeb

this is one of those games that need a demo, I might be interested but I need to play it before making any decision =/

Fewr

The battles can easily take 5mins, but I like them a lot. I wasn't expecting this level of finesse in the text.

thetrin

"I'm going to spot you a few a dice. Don't say I never gave you anything."

Bulzeeb

well but at least I'll get a better idea :p are there any gameplay videos longer than 2 mins? I kinda want to buy the game but to be honest I am not sure if I'll really like it

Downloading now. I only watched the video, haven't read anything before now. Im excited to jump in blind.

edit: beat the first battle, it's super charming! it seems to have a bit of depth too.

Just got past the Palace Grounds and, what do you know, the very first room of The Depths has a prophetic name, heh.

Good to see CTB used in a party-based non-SRPG other than FFX(I'm sure there are others, but really can't think of any). I initially thought that presenting upcoming character turns through an ATB like meter instead of icons(like in FFX or the remakes of FFT and Tactics Ogre), was a step back, but I think I get what they were going for.

Also, really getting into the elemental combo system; once I got the hang of it, there wasn't a battle afterwards where I didn't spend almost every turn putting it into consideration.

Even with little in the way of animation, I'm really enjoying the aesthetic; it actually makes the fourthwall breaking tutorials(which are written to feel less like you're reading an instructional booklet and more like someone just talking you through the games systems) feel like they fit, whereas they'd just feel out of place in most games.

thetrin

I really like the way the narration is handled. It definitely feels like a Dungeon Master is guiding you through. The dice and elemental systems are super charming as well.

Eusis

I find it hard to think of another game which would be worse suited for a demo than this one.
It'd possibly work OK, if you didn't need to give away a whole fifth of the game to give enough gameplay to judge it anyway.

It's $8, console yourself with the fact Blockbuster rentals costed as much (if not more) at their end.

Top Bottom