• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criterion's Alex Ward (CD)/Fiona Sperry (SD) resign, start new studio, Crit on new IP

While I should be devastated by this news I'm kinda not. Mostly because Ghost Games just out put NFS: Rivals which I think is a solid arcade racer in the vein of Criterion's past racers, and it's mostly Criterion talent that created that studio. Key members like Craig Sullivan for example. So Ghost Games is kinda Criterion Games in another name.

Also, because Criterion still exists, just not with Alex Ward at the helm, so I still think there are going to be great arcade racers coming, and maybe even a new Burnout game at some point.

Sacrimoni

Banned
sounds like a pretty wise decision

EA excel at ruining quality studios, devaluing IP, laying off staff, launching broken products and constraining their developers so they would have been living on borrowed time anyway

Do these companies all choose to be bought by EA? I don't understand how this keeps happening.
Bought in 2004, mainly for Renderware...

Also, looking at today's existing market, are there really any freestanding third party developers that's not a subsidiary and isn't hurting for the next project?
Isn't that the story behind Playground games - the guys behind Forza Horizon?
Yes, see the last post. :p

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
While I should be devastated by this news I'm kinda not. Mostly because Ghost Games just out put NFS: Rivals which I think is a solid arcade racer in the vein of Criterion's past racers, and it's mostly Criterion talent that created that studio. Key members like Craig Sullivan for example. So Ghost Games is kinda Criterion Games in another name.
They left EA to work with EA?

iMax

They left EA to work with EA?

What? EA created Ghost in Gothenburg. They then essentially renamed Criterion Games to 'Ghost UK', spinning off 20 or so employees into a new office location called Criterion Games.

Miles X

Hate you so much EA, Burnout was a great franchise that sold well, why the fuck buy them if you had this in mind? ARGH!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What? EA created Ghost in Gothenburg. They then essentially renamed Criterion Games to 'Ghost UK', spinning off 20 or so employees into a new office location called Criterion Games.
My bad, I was under the impression GG was something like the current situation where people left Criterion and found their own studio

iMax

My bad, I was under the impression GG was something like the current situation where people left Criterion and found their own studio

Oh no absolutely not, it was purely an HR decision made by EA. In fact, they're literally in the exact same office space.

Nothing's changed except the name and the relocation of those twenty or so employees into "neo-Criterion".

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I can't blame them, a lot of developers seem to want to make games but not under the umbrella of the big names who end up running many series and people into the ground. Will be interesting to see what Criterion is up to with this new IP with whoever is left there.

Saying that, I'm still waiting for a damn Burnout Paradise sequel, these NFS games just don't fill the void Paradise filled with its MP, pure co-op fun. Most Wanted was kind of half way there, but it was too competitive and didn't have any of the jolly stunt stuff.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
If Alex Ward leaving means an end to the incessant use of open world racing bullshit getting shoved into every title despite push back from fans, then it's cause for celebration as far as I'm concerned. I remember him publicly fighting tooth and nail to support the bad design in Burnout Paradise for restarting a race... ugh. I'm assuming he still had influence with the folks over at Ghost as well; then again, I've seen how young designers have picked up bad design habits from bad creative directors and then ardently stuck to them even after the head honcho left, so maybe that crap is too deeply ingrained in the culture over there now... sigh.

iMax

If Alex Ward leaving means an end to the incessant use of open world racing bullshit getting shoved into every title despite push back from fans, then it's cause for celebration as far as I'm concerned. I remember him publicly fighting tooth and nail to support the bad design in Burnout Paradise for restarting a race... ugh. I'm assuming he still had influence with the folks over at Ghost as well; then again, I've seen how young designers have picked up bad design habits from bad creative directors and then ardently stuck to them even after the head honcho left, so maybe that crap is too deeply ingrained in the culture over there now... sigh.

Ah yes, I remember it well...

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ah yes, I remember it well...

Perfect, thank you. The man has been involved in some great games that I truly love, but that entire incident and Burnout Paradise's design left a really bad taste in my mouth. I got the impression he could never admit he was wrong about that one (and seem to recall grousing even when they eventually caved and patched it in).

Go read that thread and compare it to this one... the overreactions here are laughable.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Fuck EA for basically gutting Criterion in order to turn them into a NFS shopnand good on AW & FS on leaving to create a new studio, hope they bring with them a lot of the old Criterion staff. If they end up doing a kickstarter, they have my money.

Pudge

Surprised how somber the tone is on the first page. Burnout was already dead and buried. This news means that the creative minds behind Burnout can produce something new and exciting rather than crank out another shitty Need for Speed game. I took this news as very positive this morning.

Fuck EA for basically gutting Criterion in order to turn them into a NFS shopnand good on AW & FS on leaving to create a new studio, hope they bring with them a lot of the old Criterion staff. If they end up doing a kickstarter, they have my money.

EA's Black Box studio that made the critically acclaimed NFS:MW back in 2005 hasn't made a decent NFS let alone fun racing game since then, Criterion imho revived the NFS series with the Hot Pursuit reboot in 2010 which was immensely enjoyable followed by 2012's Most Wanted. NFS:Rivals is yet another entertaining racing game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
so are they gonna make Blur 2 for Activision!?

Criterion was dead after Burnout 2 anyway...

You and me are gonna have some words, Faceless. Burnout 3: Takedown was the pinnacle of the series. Revenge was trash, as was the PSP titles. Paradise was alright but a side-step and not really a Burnout title outside of Renderware.

iMax

Perfect, thank you. The man has been involved in some great games that I truly love, but that entire incident and Burnout Paradise's design left a really bad taste in my mouth. I got the impression he could never admit he was wrong about that one (and seem to recall grousing even when they eventually caved and patched it in).

Go read that thread and compare it to this one... the overreactions here are laughable.

He's a great designer and I enjoyed Paradise immensely. But his community interaction leaves a lot to be desired...

Bought in 2004, mainly for Renderware...

Also, looking at today's existing market, are there really any freestanding third party developers that's not a subsidiary and isn't hurting for the next project?

Hmm, Gearbox? There the only one I can think of at the moment.

Does Platinum count?

so are they gonna make Blur 2 for Activision!?

Criterion was dead after Burnout 2 anyway...

Them be fightin' words, brah. 3, Paradise, and (to a lesser extent) Revenge were all great.

Busty

Banned
Well good for them. I'm glad they are taking the plunge. Since Criterion always had such a good relationship with Sony I wonder if SCE Europe would perhaps try and make a play for this new fledgling studio.

Building a new Criterion from the ground up (providing they aren't entering the mobile or F2P space) must surely be a tempting proposition for a few gaming entities.

Angelcurio

A lot of people hate Burnout Paradise for being open world, not being like past games, etc, and yet it was the game that actually attracted new audiences like myself, who weren't in the least interested in Burnout as a franchise, whose main attraction fancy crashing.

The game was innovative, implemented lots of different modes, Day/night cycle, bikes, Cops and Robbers, Stund Mode, Road Rage, Marked Man, full open world racing at full 60fps. It definitely was the first racing title that actually felt like a next generation game.

Yeah at this point I think what was Criterion is basically gone.

Just saw this thread today and yeah, this is how I'm reading it as well.

Good luck to Ward. Dude always gave great interviews and was one of the better personalities in the industry.

Epcott

Sooo...
Alex and Fiona are gone leaving a Criterion skeleton crew at EA, while they start their own studio?

Best of luck to them! I hope they make a spiritual successor to Burnout at the new studio, while EA continues being EA.

Agent X

A lot of people hate Burnout Paradise for being open world, not being like past games, etc, and yet it was the game that actually attracted new audiences like myself, who weren't in the least interested in Burnout as a franchise, whose main attraction fancy crashing.

The game was innovative, implemented lots of different modes, Day/night cycle, bikes, Cops and Robbers, Stund Mode, Road Rage, Marked Man, full open world racing at full 60fps. It definitely was the first racing title that actually felt like a next generation game.

I agree with this. Burnout Paradise is nearly six years old, and it's still very impressive. The amount of content in the game is staggering, and the subsequent game updates (both free and paid DLC) made the package even better.

Bundy

Banned
Why in the hell do developers sell themselves to EA?
They almost always end up getting shuttered, hemorrhaging of staff and all other atrocities.

175821.gif

Jhoan

Wait wasn't it rumored that Ward left Criterion a few months ago or am I thinking about someone else?

Regardless, I wish them the best on their new venture. I enjoyed their take on Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted to a lesser extent.

My take on paradise is this.

There is no reason we couldn't have both.

With a few tweaks we could of had the open world gameplay and the linear tracks. All they needed to do was offer a classic mode where you competed in sectioned off races just like burnout takedown. 8 tracks, with each able to be reversed. Crash mode is a bit more tricky but it could have been done and sold as DLC.

Im actually surprised nobody has simply modded it into the pc verson.

Top Bottom