• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criterion's next racing game seemingly releasing in 2013

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to guess they're co-developing the next Need For Speed with Ghost, given Ghost isn't especially large and Criterion has grown a lot.

VideoGamer said:
Criterion Games is developing an "unannounced racing title" due for release in 2013, the CV of one of its employees has suggested.

The unannounced game is listed on the LinkedIn profile of the Need For Speed: Most Wanted developer's lead cinematic artist for marketing, alongside the words "EA Games 2013".

The project also appears to be listed on a second Criterion employee's LinkedIn, too.

Neither listing offers any clues as to what franchise the game could belong to, or whether it's a new IP. So, what could it be?

Well, last October, Criterion confirmed that it would be returning to Burnout "at some point" in the future, but later said that it was "highly unlikely" it would ever develop a direct sequel to Burnout Paradise.

A revival of bike combat series Road Rash was teased by the studio last year, too, when creative director Craig Sullivan told The Guardian that "Road Rash seems like a good fit for Criterion..."

Alternatively, it could be a reference to Criterion's work on Ghost Games' unannounced Need For Speed title, which many expect to be this year's major Need For Speed release, and which Criterion is said to be heavily involved with.

Criterion's creative director Alex Ward said yesterday that he had spent "another #epic day working with an #epic team on something #amazing".

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/need_...ced_racing_title_due_for_release_in_2013.html

LinkedIn said:
Lead Cinematic Artist
Criterion Games
June 2012 – Present (11 months)

Responsible for ensuring quality and consistency within Marketing cinematic assets.
"Need For Speed Most Wanted" EA Games 2012
"Unannounced Racing Title" EA Games 2013
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_name_link

FloatOn

Why do you want this?

The only thing that was good about RR was the soundtrack.

tumblr_m8f1f7CRHI1rtc9of.gif

Well they are now fully responsible for NFS now right? And given that BlackBox as we knew it doesn't exactly deal with NFS anymore, not exactly a surprise.

Dug

Banned
Please be Burnout Paradise 2....

Well, last October, Criterion confirmed that it would be returning to Burnout "at some point" in the future, but later said that it was "highly unlikely" it would ever develop a direct sequel to Burnout Paradise.

Damn it.

please be next gen... :)

although judging from their previous work, I expect the next gen version of a hypothetical 2013 racer to show up in spring 2014 ish, sort of like Burnout Revenge 360 and Most Wanted U.

btkadams

i don't understand. how could they have another game coming out this year? would they be codeveloping with someone else? if so, it sounds like need for speed.

sunnz

I would ONLY WANT NFS: underground 3 if Criterion DO NOT MAKE IT, they have ruined NFS for me.

I was a huge NFS fan and loved pretty much every ps2 era ones, the ps3/360 era NFS have all sucked in comparison.

NFS: Most wanted, is a good game, but a BAD NFS game. It has lost 80% of what made Most wanted on the ps2 so good

So I hope they leave NFS a lone.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just give me Burnout.

I would ONLY WANT NFS: underground 3 if Criterion DO NOT MAKE IT, they have ruined NFS for me.

I was a huge NFS fan and loved pretty much every ps2 era ones, the ps3/360 era NFS have all sucked in comparison.

NFS: Most wanted, is a good game, but a BAD NFS game. It has lost 80% of what made Most wanted on the ps2 so good

So I hope they leave NFS a lone.

You do know Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit are the only Criterion NFS games, right?

sunnz

Just give me Burnout.

You do know Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit are the only Criterion NFS games, right?

My point still stands, these two games are good games, don't get me wrong, but not good NFS games to me ( especially most wanted)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Be nice if it were an actual Burnout, Paradise was a decent game but it wasn't a great Burnout game.

Give me Need 4 Speed: Under Grounds Tokyo. And include old vehicles as well as new ones with Tokyo Xtreme Racer gameplay. With fully customizable vehicles inside and out. I want to feel like Paul Walker

iMax

Burnout Revengeance.
You heard it here first... :p

...or Need for Speed: Underground 3. Either way, I'm happy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Burnout Paradise may be my game of the generation.

A sequel? Yes, please!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If only but im betting its something in the Need for Speed series.

Well, from the sound of it, Ghost is the new B-studio for NFS, and Criterion probably has more than enough people to do two projects at once, so it's possible for them to assist Ghost on this year's NFS and have enough people left to do something else...

EA, please let Criterion make another Burnout instead of Burnout with a condom and slapping NFS on it. I mean, Criterion's NFS games are great, but they don't come close to Burnout. Let Criterion thrive!

LQX

And you can guarantee even if it is not Burnout, it will feel and play just like it. They have really made me stale on EA racers.

ACH1LL3US

Why do people dislike the Criterion NFS games?

Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted are excellent games! Would you rather have gotten another pro street or nfs carbon game instead?

The quality went way up with Criterion doing the NFS games. I really enjoyed all the Burnouts and Paradise is my favorite other then B2... but I don't think they will be going back to Burnout for some time.

Why do people dislike the Criterion NFS games?

Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted are excellent games! Would you rather have gotten another pro street or nfs carbon game instead?

The quality went way up with Criterion doing the NFS games. I really enjoyed all the Burnouts and Paradise is my favorite other then B2... but I don't think they will be going back to Burnout for some time.

I played NFS: Hot Pursuit on the 360 when it came out and even got all the original cheevos for it. But I realized when I went back to playing it on the PC that I just don't really enjoy the vehicle handling at all and "taking down" vehicles didn't feel anywhere near as satisfying in Burnout. The Mario Kart power-ups you get to use are neat and satisfying to use, but ramming into people didn't have a good feeling to it. The game just bored me to play.

The quality of NFS games definitely went up, but my interest in Criterion has plummeted since they dumped Burnout. I like the agility of Burnouts vehicles and the level of destructibility that you can't get with licensed cars. And most of all I miss Crash Mode. Such a great mode, and it's different enough from the main racing modes that it keeps things fresh. I can get bored in a racing game if every mode is just Racing/Checkpoint Racing/Aggressive Racing/Tournament Racing/etc.

Top Bottom