• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Gen is Dying

midnightAI

And yet that's not what the thread was based on. It was based on two pieces of DLC.

I'm not saying there aren't any next gen only games but we are still in cross-gen for some more months yet.
I think the point of the OP is that (Sony at least) they are confident enough that enough next gen systems have been sold that they can start leaving last gen behind and this is shown by those two games DLC's being next gen only and Horizon is one of Sony's biggest franchises.

My point is that other than indies (and From Software) the majority of games announced at The Game Awards are next gen only. There is also a domino effect, so hopefully From will see everyone else going next gen and their next game is next gen also (although they need to either heavily upgrade their engine or use something like UE5 to keep up graphically, if that's what they want to do of course)

I think we know we are cross gen for a little while yet as most games coming out that have been previously announced are cross gen, but most new announcements (non indies) are next gen only.

Last edited:
we're getting there. slowly but surely. i think 2023 will be the last year for crossgen.

consoles are easy to get hold of now and this time next year we might have slim/pro consoles. i'll buy a ps5/xsx whenever the come out with the slim/pro versions.
Slim consoles likely for next year but I’m pretty sure the pro isn’t till 2024 (honestly hoping it’s not till then so that instead of rdna 3 they can use rdna 4)

With news of DLC for Horizon and Cyberpunk being "next-gen/current gen" exclusive and that the previous generation won't get support, I think we're nearing the end of cross-gen support for at least non-annual release games.

Both of these games would have started in a next-gen cycle and all of the talks about last-gen not holding things back are pretty easily refutable here. It's at least not worth the time to develop for with sales drying up, but the funny thing is these games have baked in userbases of their own, normally a company would want to continue supporting that, but that's one of the benefits of forward compatibility. People can continue these games on current-gen consoles. Which makes decision's like Atlus' on Persona 5 even more craven and disappointing.

Let's rejoice the end of the PS4/X1 era. It was fun while it lasted but it's time.
Good, but Series S is horrible…too weak will hold Series X and PS5 back IMO…smh..its weaker than the One X in some areas…Devs are complaining and have to remove features to get games to run on the platform…example Fortnite Chapter 4…

Last edited:

Woopah

The West has started to move on, but I expect most Japanese third party games to be cross gen

I've been quite happy keeping my PS4 and have been liking how long cross gen has gone on (since it means I don't have to spend money on new hardware). However, Jedi Order: Survival and the Horizon 2 DLC being current-gen only is starting to change my mind.

I think the point of the OP is that (Sony at least) they are confident enough that enough next gen systems have been sold that they can start leaving last gen behind and this is shown by those two games DLC's being next gen only and Horizon is one of Sony's biggest franchises.

My point is that other than indies (and From Software) the majority of games announced at The Game Awards are next gen only. There is also a domino effect, so hopefully From will see everyone else going next gen and their next game is next gen also (although they need to either heavily upgrade their engine or use something like UE5 to keep up graphically, if that's what they want to do of course)

I think we know we are cross gen for a little while yet as most games coming out that have been previously announced are cross gen, but most new announcements (non indies) are next gen only.

Thanks, I thought I was pretty clear with my language. I didn't say that cross gen was dead, I said it was dying. I cited a couple examples, maybe I could have cited more, but the really important one as you mentioned is Horizon.

That's Herman Hulst all over. If Guerrilla is saying goodbye to the PS4, and let's be clear, that is what they're saying here, that's a significant change for them and for the rest of PlayStation Studios.

We're going to see what happens next, if MLB The Show 23 is announced for PS4 or if they leave it behind in this next iteration.

There comes a time when Sony is going to want to INDUCE people to focus on PS5, especially as the economy worsens and the benefits of selling a few extra copies on PS4 don't help with the PS5 sales and future attach rates.

For example, someone buy a PS4 DLC doesn't push them into the PlayStation ecosystem the way that buying the DLC on PS5 would. Someone could buy Horizon 2 DLC on PS4 but still decide to buy a XSX instead of a PS5, but pushing people towards the PS5 as quickly as possible now, they ensure future attach rate. It's time to say goodbye to the PS4.

Undoubtedly, Sony may still have a handful of PS4 games left. I expect MLB23 will still be on PS4 and they aren't ready to cut the cord there, and it's already on Xbox. I expect the ND MP game may be on PS4 as well, though they could have said goodbye to the PS4 with TLOU P1 being PS5 exclusive. That could have also simply been because the remaster is already on PS4 and they didn't want direct comparisons.

Good, but Series S is horrible…too weak will hold Series X and PS5 back IMO…smh..its weaker than the One X in some areas…Devs are complaining and have to remove features to get games to run on the platform…example Fortnite Chapter 4…

Series S going to hold back Sony 1st party games? I know what you meant, but if the Series S is TRULY holding back games, something will give with 3rd parties as well.

I think people put way too much over-emphasis on the effect of cross-gen games.

95% of games that will come out for PS5 and Series X wouldn't have maximized the PS4, much less the PS5. The budget and focus of the game dictates the graphics and performance more than the hardware its on.

We've long reached the point of diminishing returns. It's not like going from NES to SNES, or PS1 to PS2.

Kabelly

Yea now they're just trying to force people into ps5s. Guess they're tired of people still using their ps4s. Cuz the Horizon dlc def could work on ps4 if the base game works. i don't know what super magic y'all think the dlc will do.

But we are like year 3 into PS5 so I'm not expecting too much more support for PS4 anyways. Still no system seller imo. Ratchet and Clank and Returnal are cute but not The One. Plus Returnal is coming to PC so that's gets off the list.

Stellar Blade looks amazing but I think that's also coming to PC.

Top Bottom