• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

sunofsam

For those of you using Coinbase, how high can you raise your limit for using a credit card and how long does it take? I've filled out all the info and verified everything that I can, but my limit is at $100 weekly. I bought some Eth with the $100 during the dip earlier but now it says "to increase your limit: wait 21 days" lol

Unfortunately I can't link my bank account at the moment because the service they use for that is currently down in my country.

1. What Country?

2. 1000$ and that may be even after the 21 days.

I got into this in January 6th, bought 7.6 Eth for 75 USD. Took me almost a month to get an account, verified and funded on a Canadian exchange.

Looking through my purchase on coinbase was painful, I was buying all I could, never waiting for the limit to return full.

Where are you getting your MA charts?
TradingView.com

Set the time span to 5 days at the bottom [which should set the time unit to 5 minutes], then click on the button which says 'Indicators' and then search for 'moving average'. You'll probably want to use MA20, MA50 and MA200 [I also add the weighed MA50 and MA200]. This should give you something like this:

vzsPo7m.png

Then just set an alarm for MA50 crossing over MA200 and MA50 crossing under MA200 with time unit = 5minutes.
- 50MA crossing under 200MA -> price drop -> sell point
- 50MA crossing over 200MA -> price increase -> entry point

It doesn't have charts for random coins though [which is a good thing; you shouldn't be trading those anyways]

Here is what I have noticed.

Every day eth drops hard in the morning about 7am CST.

If you really want to make money trading it, buy then in the morning while dropping, sell after rise sometime fairly late at night, rinse and repeat.

It's a strange time for it to be dropping hard like that so I think there may be an active pump and dump scheme happening on a daily basis with large volume traders.
Yeah, I won't rule out the possibility of the whole crypto market being manipulated. Though it might also be because different markets open at different time zones

Make of it what you will:

edit: sorry for the double post, forgot to merge the replies.

Crypto is traded 24/7 across global regions, so I think a lot of daily dips and rises depends simply on who is awake and who has the enthusiasm for crypto right now. It's so different from stock markets which are open these hours M-F and closed weekends.

It's funny when you realize that crypto market activity is like EVE Online in that sense, an MMO with a very developed capital market for a game which runs on a single global server. You can see when different regions of players are awake and asleep by which commodities are rising and falling at any given time during the day.

Tk0n

What do you guys think of NVO? Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange sounds like a solid business idea

I like the idea BUT i dont like how heavily its advertised. I see the banners all day.

I might use the product when its finished and works.
Not so sure about the coin as investment as i dont see any exchanges carrying a competitor.

1. What Country?

2. 1000$ and that may be even after the 21 days.

I got into this in January 6th, bought 7.6 Eth for 75 USD. Took me almost a month to get an account, verified and funded on a Canadian exchange.

Looking through my purchase on coinbase was painful, I was buying all I could, never waiting for the limit to return full.

1. Singapore

2. OK, I guess I'll stick with the exchange in my country. They charge about $30-$40 more per Eth but there are no limits, was hoping to find a cheaper exchange to use haha

I am already in the green again ( i bought at 350 ), i feel bad for the people who sold during the correction though. Next time, please listen to your lovely fowl.

I am already in the green again ( i bought at 350 ), i feel bad for the people who sold during the correction though. Next time, please listen to your lovely fowl.
I sold during the correction and now actually have more Eth than before as the price I shorted at was much higher than the entry point at $300. Do not blindly get attached to your Ethers; we don't have a crystal ball to predict how the market works.

I sold during the correction and now actually have more Eth than before as the price I shorted at was much higher than the entry point at $300. Do not blindly get attached to your Ethers; we don't have a crystal ball to predict how the market works.

So you bought again ? If not i don't understand how you can have more ETH than before.

It was pretty certain that it will be back on foot pretty soon, all currencies were down this day.

So you bought again ? If not i don't understand how you can have more ETH than before.

It was pretty certain that it will be back on foot pretty soon, all currencies were down this day.
Yes I bought back in when it became clear that it won't go down again in 30 minutes [read my previous posts.]

How was is certain that it will be back on foot pretty soon? It started dropping from ~$375 and went down to ~265 in a matter of hours.

Yes I bought back in when it became clear that it won't go down again in 30 minutes [read my previous posts.]

How was is certain that it will be back on foot pretty soon? It started dropping from ~$375 and went down to ~265 in a matter of hours.

I don't know anything about economics but from various articles/opinions i have read here and there, a pretty big correction followed by a rise was pretty much expected. As going +1000 $ is expected as well by the end of the year.

I mean it depend on what is your end goals, playing with the dips and rises it's a good strategy also, personally i am in for the long run, so even if the thing go down to 50 $ i would just buy more ETH then.

Donos

I'm willing to drop a cool $100 on them, but it seems like a PITA to actually buy them. I just read a guide and is a simple 27 step process!

Poloniex has them, or do you mean completely goin from 0? (you have no cryptocurrency at all, no accounts at any exchange etc).

woodland

Any recommendations on best/safest exchange? Looking to make a few investments and as far as I know, there's no ETFs/funds that trade on the market for any of these, correct?

Would appreciate the help!

Edit: I see people here mentioning coinbase, and obvs I see the list, but what would you recommend?

Copenap

Just a reminder, no one has any idea how the ETH price will develope, everything can go up in flames any time, or not.

Just a reminder, no one has any idea how the ETH price will develope, everything can go up in flames any time, or not.

Everything can happen, but estimations are possible. The most likely outcome it's that it continue to have a steady development.

I mean, you look at the graph of those last 3 months, you can clearly see a tendency. It's not the reign of randomness.
Like every investment, you can guess a general tendency/estimation of what will happen. I mean, everything is possible, but it's like any kind of investment. If you put money on Google or Facebook, you won't (most likely) lose half of your money overnight, or the next year.

InertiaXr

With all this talk of Bitcoin and mostly Etherum recently in this thread, what do people think about these litecoins? They seem relatively stable in comparison to those other 2, any particular reason for that?

Brandson

With all this talk of Bitcoin and mostly Etherum recently in this thread, what do people think about these litecoins? They seem relatively stable in comparison to those other 2, any particular reason for that?

My impression of Litecoin is that they're trying to be Bitcoin with faster processing times. I currently don't plan to invest into crypto that only has being a currency as its sole use case. Ethereum is much more of a platform for additional functionality, in addition to any currency-related applications that it may have. And Bitcoin was the first cryptocurrency to hit it big. There is a lot of money in it, but Bitcoin's momentum for mainstream adoption has decreased, if not reversed. Investing in Bitcoin now seems too risky as well. Ethereum is the current developer favourite. Any gains Litecoin might achieve won't be at the expense of Ethereum.

Arkanius

Development on them seems to have grinded to an halt
One of the founders of Coinbase left recently to go work on it recently.

Litecoin is in a strange place. It's old like Bitcoin, but it has no distinguishable enough factors bringing it value.

At least it seems stable from a value point of view.

Copenap

Everything can happen, but estimations are possible. The most likely outcome it's that it continue to have a steady development.

I mean, you look at the graph of those last 3 months, you can clearly see a tendency. It's not the reign of randomness.
Like every investment, you can guess a general tendency/estimation of what will happen. I mean, everything is possible, but it's like any kind of investment. If you put money on Google or Facebook, you won't (most likely) lose half of your money overnight, or the next year.
This is not Google or Facebook, you can easily lose half your money over night. There is nothing like a free dinner, don't be naive.

Brandson

It's a strange feeling seeing the Korean and Chinese exchanges on coinmarketcap amongst all the exchanges I'm used to seeing there. Asian price for Ethereum is around USD$384 to GDAX's USD$358.

Donos

I have a coinbase account and some ethereum but no bitcoin at all.
That's how i started too. You just have to deposit eth from coinbase to poloniex adress and then get sia (SC) with it. Or buy bitcoin shares at coinbase and do the same what i wrote for eth with poloniex. Sia has a software wallet for download at their website.

I have to say that coinbase is a bit more beginner friendly then bitfinex or poloniex.

I think ETH is recovering from the Great Crash of 6/14/17 or something.

I think flash crashes like this, while rare in the stock market, are probably going to be very common in the volatile world of crypto.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Now it's LTC's turn apparently. A Quick 10% to be made there right now.
I think ETH is recovering from the Great Crash of 6/14/17 or something.

I think flash crashes like this, while rare in the stock market, are probably going to be very common in the volatile world of crypto.
I'm upset it's happening when I slept, but realistically I can just hold, or put in some extra currency on a low limit order if/when it happens.
Second time I missed out on a great dip. Such a regret filled world this.
Limit & Stop Limit is your friend.

ZOONAMI

Dual mining eth and sia and I'm not sure it's worth mining the Sia. I guess I could rack up thousands of coins a month, so if it takes off great. Right now though they are hardly worth anything. But it could honestly be a coin that is eventually worth multiple usd per coin.

Their website seems legit. My only worry is that cloud storage is already a very established market so I'm not really sure what the value proposition is.

Amazon, MS, apple, google etc all already have extremely cheap if not free cloud storage.

I get that it's more private, but honestly their cost savings estimates are vert misleading. 1TB is $3 vs Amazon $23, maybe on an Enterprise level but on a consumer level I have several terabytes of cloud storage for free through Google, MS, Amazon, and Flickr. Some of these are through promotions but still, cloud storage is generally very cheap if not free.

BraXzy

It's easy to say such things in hindsight. Did you miss the dip because you were asleep or because you thought it would go lower?

I saw it dip as low as around $270 and I hesitated in case it continued to drop. I'd already picked some up on the way down at $340 ish.

JackEtc

I hesitated at 310 yesterday and now feeling like a dumbass lmao. Trying to get into the Crypto game, shit is skressful....

Chumley

Banned
Could be worse, I dropped $300 when it was at 390 when I could have done it at like 300. Crypto is a crazy game but when it goes back over 390 I won't care so much.

x3sphere

Well I didn't see that LTC pop coming. Weird that ETH is still pretty much following BTC, I have hope it will break away though.

This is not Google or Facebook, you can easily lose half your money over night. There is nothing like a free dinner, don't be naive.

Yes, you can. As i stated. But the most likely outcome is that you won't and have a steady progression over time. It's what Bitcoin and ETH have showed so far btw.
Even the "big crash" who made a lot of people frightened 48 hours from now, where it lost half it's value overnight is almost recovered.

Donos

Was thinking about getting 10 litecoins two days ago just because but everything i have read so far maked me belive that it hasn't really a bright future...

Pls don't let it be at 100$ when i wake up tomorrow :p

Top Bottom